Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BK STRIKE  (Read 33823 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:THE BK STRIKE
« Reply #330 on: November 29, 2007, 06:40:43 PM »

TOD:

Play: URINETOWN

Movies:
The 5,000 FINGERS OF DR. T
HAROLD AND MAUDE
THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW (not a fanatic, but probably saw it 5 or 6 times)
AMADEUS (also one of my favorite bio pics)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ginny

« Reply #331 on: November 29, 2007, 06:43:12 PM »

December 4 & 5 - 9:30 a.m. & 11:30 a.m. - Victoria Theatre Association, Dayton, OH

Very doable for me!  Tomorrow, I'll call the folks I know at VTA and see about getting in!

December 13 - 10:00 a.m. & 12:30 p.m. - Bloomington Cultural Center, Bloomington, IL

This is where my DN(dear niece) Laura lives and works as a golf pro.

Thanks for the info, DR Jose!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #332 on: November 29, 2007, 06:48:25 PM »

Very doable for me!  Tomorrow, I'll call the folks I know at VTA and see about getting in!This is where my DN(dear niece) Laura lives and works as a golf pro.

Thanks for the info, DR Jose!

You're welcome, DR Ginny.

And I believe DR Jason would rather be surprised after the show that someone he knows was in the audience, rather than knowing in advance.  So, your "secret" is safe with me.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

DaNiece

« Reply #333 on: November 29, 2007, 06:50:24 PM »

DaNiece- :D

These days your sister is the first pushy grandmother ;D

She was excited today. She's scaring me, she's becoming our mother.  :D

Cillaliz

« Reply #334 on: November 29, 2007, 06:50:26 PM »

DR Julie,
Becca Ayers went to Stephens College. Their summer stock is The Okoboji Summer Theater. It's in the lakes area where I used to live. I know I saw her in Little Women and Tintypes.  It's great fun to see the Stephens College "kids" do so well

Edisaurus

« Reply #335 on: November 29, 2007, 06:50:53 PM »

So did we.  I always lost it when Dorothy said goodbye to the Scarecrow.  It was my annual cry.

One again I missed our symphony orchestra accompanying THE WIZARD OF OZ. I'm way behind in my newspaper reading.

And my HHW reading...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Cillaliz

« Reply #336 on: November 29, 2007, 06:51:52 PM »

So did we.  I always lost it when Dorothy said goodbye to the Scarecrow.  It was my annual cry.

I remember my surprise when we got our first color TV and Dorothy opened to door to OZ.  I never knew (until then) that OZ was in color while our world was in B & W.  That was rather neat.

And still is, in my humble opinion.   :)

I hid under my blanket when the flying monkeys came on the screen. They terrified me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #337 on: November 29, 2007, 06:55:17 PM »

What vixmom (and maybe you, Danise) needs to find is a government job....county, state or federal.

Once you get tenured, you have to do something seriously wrong to be let go/fired.

Of course, it helps if you like your job and co-workers.  One should always apply oneself to be the best possible employee in one's position that one can be.

I did just that and became bored and miserable.  It was a great job financially, but I'm one of those people who wants more than that. Now this isn't intended as an insult to anyone. I'm only speaking of my personal experience at my job.  If there had been different co-workers, I may have enjoyed it a lot more

Edisaurus

« Reply #338 on: November 29, 2007, 06:56:43 PM »

If DR ELMORE'S link didn't work for you, try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrN-YZ8keSM

But it's a disturbing video with naked men and singing although not a musical.  8)

Ah...I haven't seen that in years. Thanks! God bless the internet!

DaNiece

« Reply #339 on: November 29, 2007, 06:58:50 PM »

The munchkins were on the Today Show the other day! Anyone see them?

Good night, all!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #340 on: November 29, 2007, 06:59:55 PM »

Talks are hopeful.  Both sides are sitting in the same room like so much fish.  Most issues have been worked out, but there's still one left.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #341 on: November 29, 2007, 07:00:20 PM »

I'm watching a movie I TIVOd, and then it's on to Linda, Linda, Linda.

FJL

« Reply #342 on: November 29, 2007, 07:03:26 PM »

Talks have broken down between Yahtzee and Loco One.  Problem is they're on the same side of the strike.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #343 on: November 29, 2007, 07:04:24 PM »

DaNiece-LOL

Edisaurus

« Reply #344 on: November 29, 2007, 07:05:45 PM »

JRand, regarding your question about film outtakes, here's the way it worked back in the day...

You would shoot a camera roll (usually 1,000 feet--about 11 minutes in 35mm) and that roll is processed in the lab. When the film was shot, the script supervisor noted which takes were good (circled takes) and those takes were printed, i.e. a work print was made which is what the editor cuts up.

The unused or bad takes stay on the developed camera roll, intact, until the film is "locked", and no other changes will be made. Once the film is finalized, the negative is cut (conformed) to match the work print that the editor cut. The work print is kind of like the blueprint, the editor is like the architect, and the negative cutter "builds the house".

After the negative is conformed, all the leftover pieces are stored until somebody decides it's not worth paying to store anymore and it ends up in a landfill, or an incinerator, or if you're lucky, preserved by someone who cares. There are whole stock footage libraries made up from outs, say, of Movietone newsreels, etc.

Cillaliz

« Reply #345 on: November 29, 2007, 07:08:47 PM »

Anyone know the group Weather Report?

Yes! I used to be a huge Weather Report Fan.  They did the original version of Birdland that Manhattan Transfer later added words to

Cillaliz

« Reply #346 on: November 29, 2007, 07:11:37 PM »

Cillaliz

« Reply #347 on: November 29, 2007, 07:13:07 PM »

Weather Report was a wonderful supergroup of former Miles/Cannonball alumni (among others) featuring, in its first incarnation, Josef Zawinul (who sadly passed way too young a month or two ago), Wayne Shorter,  and Sergio Mendes' former percussionist Dom um Romao (first husband of Flora Purim, before she hooked up with another percussionist, Airto, who also played with the group).  BK, I would say you may not like the first two or three Weather Report albums, as they are a bit on the spare, non-melodic side, but their later albums, starting with "Sweetnighter," have some really gorgeous stuff on them.

I saw a movie about Josef Zwainul on Netflix last time I was browsing

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #348 on: November 29, 2007, 07:14:17 PM »

...While I was out, I happened to receive a couple of calls inquiring about my availability to play for various audition calls.  I tentatively said, "Yes," to everyone, but since I didn't have my calendar on me, I told them I would have to confirm once I got home.  Well...  It turns out I am available for all the calls I had been asked about, and it looks like I'm going to be quite busy over the next two weeks.  -I guess the strike really is over. :)  *And I guess I can buy Christmas gifts this year too.  ;)

Remember: I look good in anything expensive.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

« Reply #349 on: November 29, 2007, 07:25:51 PM »

Does anyone else remember this little girl?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auRl-cMgBhE&feature=related

How talented, and how very sad...

Jane

« Reply #350 on: November 29, 2007, 07:27:46 PM »

There are so many movies I’ve seen over and over, som many times I can’t count them.  Except for Fahrenheit 451, I’m not including the most memorable from my days ushering at the Bruin Theater.

Casablanca tops the list of repeat viewings.

A few contenders are:
Key Largo
Bachelor & the Bobby-Soxer
Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House
Thin Man
Walk don’t run (Jim Hutton)
7 brides 4 7 brothers
The Major and the Minor
Bachelor Mother
Tremors
Star Wars
The African Queen

Jane

« Reply #351 on: November 29, 2007, 07:28:39 PM »

DR elmore, what is your favorite store to shop in?  

Edisaurus

« Reply #352 on: November 29, 2007, 07:31:10 PM »

I'm in the same boat, Elmore. I have printer ink cartridges to offer as well, for Epson Stylus C64,66,84,86,4600,6400,6600. I have two boxes of the tri-color and one black, unopened. My printer died and we got a different kind.

First caller wins plus free shipping. I just hate to waste stuff!

Cillaliz

« Reply #353 on: November 29, 2007, 07:31:29 PM »

Of the three Weather Report CDs I've listened to, the best is Heavy Weather, which has the song Birdland.

I posted before I read this....I was NOT trying to kiss up or in any way become involved in the strike negotiations ;D

Edisaurus

« Reply #354 on: November 29, 2007, 07:33:31 PM »

Julie, I really enjoyed reading about your film. A good location manager is worth their weight in gold, especially after you've had terrible ones that don't know what they're doing. A tough job, indeed, and lots of people to make happy. Keep us posted on the relase!

Ginny

« Reply #355 on: November 29, 2007, 07:35:24 PM »

You're welcome, DR Ginny.

And I believe DR Jason would rather be surprised after the show that someone he knows was in the audience, rather than knowing in advance.  So, your "secret" is safe with me.  ;)

Oh, thank you so much, DR Jose!  I was going to email him ahead of time, but now will just keep  :-X until after the fact.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Edisaurus

« Reply #356 on: November 29, 2007, 07:35:43 PM »

Anyone know the group Weather Report?

Not personally but I remember their music.

Jane

« Reply #357 on: November 29, 2007, 07:36:38 PM »

I don’t like reading the news.  The story of the poor girl who hung herself because the boy on MySpace was cruel to her, has become even more shocking.  Turns out it was a neighbor women who pretended to be a teenage boy.  This woman should get jail time!
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Story?id=3929774&page=1
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 07:38:17 PM by Jane »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #358 on: November 29, 2007, 07:39:46 PM »

I want to add my two-cents, that is very nice to have Julie back at HHW.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #359 on: November 29, 2007, 07:40:13 PM »

I'm going to try and stay off the computer tomorrow, at least during the day.

'night
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up