Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT...  (Read 25590 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT...
« Reply #120 on: February 27, 2006, 10:27:10 AM »

DR Jose, stupid question here... Is Lestat based on Anne Rice's character from her Vampire books?

Remember, there are no stupid questions....

Yes, Lestat is based on the character from the Anne Rice books.  The show covers events from the first two in the series, "Interview..." and "The Vampire Lestat".

For more info, just check out:

www.lestat.com

www.lestatmusical.com

Playbill.com also has a series of exclusive interviews with the creative staff, and there's a clip of Hugh Panaro on broadwayworld.com talking about the current rehearsal process.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #121 on: February 27, 2006, 10:29:01 AM »

Well, time for me to get ready to head out in to the Big City...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #122 on: February 27, 2006, 10:30:57 AM »

Just checked the Telecharge site re the Cook/Stritch show tonight at the Beaumont.  Looks like there are still scattered all-the-way-to-the-side orchestra tix going for $100, scattered loge tix (some loge in the center sections) for $75.  Plus Telecharge service charges, of course.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #123 on: February 27, 2006, 10:31:28 AM »

Dennis Weaver often came to Ashland to promote environmental issues.   Another sad loss, a good guy off the screen as well as on.

Jane

« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2006, 10:33:34 AM »

During 1997 just before the Great RR flood, we had an ice storm that knocked out power for a number of days and people put their stuff out side since it was cold enough...

I guess I prefer the ants my melted food attracted to a flood.

I hope your new frig arrives today.

FJL

« Reply #125 on: February 27, 2006, 10:34:45 AM »

Re wacky sayings - Did someone already mention "Give him an inch, he'll think he's a ruler."

Jane

« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2006, 10:34:46 AM »

DRLaura and Sandra, good rain vibes.

Our rain arrived last night and I woke up stiff and sore, no big surprise.  The bright warm days sure were nice while they lasted.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2006, 10:40:47 AM »

I shall now be on my way to Vinnie's to mix, after which, I shall return.

FJL

« Reply #128 on: February 27, 2006, 10:41:11 AM »

Speaking of dancing (and someone was), here's an old joke that's sort of cute, but parental guidance is suggested.

A couple preparing for a religious conversion meets with the orthodox rabbi for their final session. The rabbi asks if they have any final questions.

The man asks, "Is it true that men and women don't dance together?"

"Yes," says the rabbi. "For modesty reasons, men and women dance separately."

"So I can't dance with my own wife?"

"No."

"Well, okay," says the man, "but what about sex?"

"Fine," says the rabbi. "A mitzvah within the marriage!"

"What about different positions?," the man asks.

"No problem," says the rabbi.

"Woman on top?," the man asks.

"Why not?," replies the rabbi.

"How about from behind?"

"Of course!"

"Well, what about standing up?"

"NO!" says the rabbi....

"Why Not???" asks the man.

"Could lead to dancing!"

Jennifer

« Reply #129 on: February 27, 2006, 10:54:44 AM »

re: elizabeth manley

Thank you for the information, DR Jennifer. She was one skater I really enjoyed watching her.  

Another skater I enjoyed was Josee Choiunard...

I never watch those profile shows. And they sort of tricked me into watching it, since it was on CBC newsworld. I just assumed it was a 2 minute profile.

She was in the news a lot here. BUt I must say I had no idea about much of her story.

They talked about how when she was a little girl, the local rink used to open for her and her friend to skate every friday night. Her mom would put her to bed at 6pm and wake her up at 1am. And her and friend would skate all night.

Then they talked about how they took her away from her mom at age 17 so she could go train in lake placid. But she developed many problems there. She became depressed. She ended up switching coaches to a lovely couple. And then right before the calgary olympics someone (i think in canadian skating) wrote a scathing article in the newspaper criticising her. She was devasted.

Then her coaches made her stay east while the calgary olympics were going on, choosing to only fly her back to calgary right before her event. But she ended up with the flu and then did not think she could compete.  And to make matters worse, all the flights were booked up and she had to take a flight to calgary that landed and took off about 4 or 5 times. Her eardrums could not take it and they thought they might blow one.

Anyhow she could not complete her programs. BUt someone come show time she managed to do it.  When i saw her coach bawling, it made me teary.
And then they showed her driving in downtown calgary after she won silver. Nobody knew she was there, but everyone was going crazy screaming her name and driving with people sticking out of cars.

But as i mentioned things got worse, and she did the ice capades. Blew all her money, and gained a tiny bit of weight. For some reason i think she was 5 feet 114 pounds. But they made all the skaters have weigh ins every week. And they thought she was too heavy.

It was quite upsetting watching this part. I had no idea that happened to her.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2006, 10:54:49 AM »

Ron, you are much bigger than that!! I am sure DRVixmom would agree

I do!

[size=15]RON[/size]
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2006, 11:03:36 AM »

8 am, and no sign of DR Ben or Michael Shayne?  Good morning, all!

I have to run to Staples for some pens and finish this medley!

TOD:  Hmmmm

"For wont of a Scripto,
A ditty was lost."

What's that from?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2006, 11:06:54 AM »

And, over at Playbill, there's an article about Barbara Cook and Elaine Strich doing a double act to benefit the Lincoln Center.

I wonder what songs they might try for duets???!!!

"Beauty and the Best"

"Me and My Shadow"

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: February 27, 2006, 11:13:46 AM »

I just finished my dance piece.  It's endless, and my reward was some great loot in the post:  Steve's book SECOND ACT TROUBLE, 12 CDs in the Classics for Pleasure release of British operettas including several with the late great June Bronhill, and the Ballets Trockadero DVDs.  I hope the phone rings today with some work to pay for this.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #134 on: February 27, 2006, 11:19:03 AM »

Larry, I just heard from Anthony's mother that she has recorded the first two episodes of Season Two for Slings and Arrows and will continue for the entire season. We won't see them for a while but the anticipation of knowing they are there is half the fun. Knowing that they are tackling The Scottish Play this season should bring some laughs.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: February 27, 2006, 11:23:11 AM »

Larry, I just heard from Anthony's mother that she has recorded the first two episodes of Season Two for Slings and Arrows and will continue for the entire season. We won't see them for a while but the anticipation of knowing they are there is half the fun. Knowing that they are tackling The Scottish Play this season should bring some laughs.

The first two episodes have been quite interesting.  I also hear the first season will be released on DVD later in the year.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #136 on: February 27, 2006, 12:07:40 PM »

Oy, what a 12+ hours we've had here!  

Just before 2am EST, I heard DH Richard bolt out of bed and the next thing I heard was Ka-Rash!.  When I got there, he was sitting on the bathroom floor, then he lay down with his head in the hallway, nose all bloody.  Well, I called 9-1-1 and they took him to the hospital about 3 blocks away.  I followed in my car and we spent the rest of the night and most of today in the ER.  They did all kinds of tests and diagnosed him with some multi-syllabic condition that means he "got up too fast."  He's OK - lying on the couch watching a DVD now - but I think I'll stay home (please, twist my arm) again tomorrow to keep an eye on him.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #137 on: February 27, 2006, 12:15:45 PM »

DE (Dear Elf) Jose - thanks for the email!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2006, 12:16:57 PM »

Oh my gosh DR Ginny!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Vibes to your DH :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :) [/move]

Ginny

« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2006, 12:27:04 PM »

DR MBarnum - thanks for the vibes.  When it's my turn to watch a DVD, the choice is Bride and Prejudice.

Ginny

« Reply #140 on: February 27, 2006, 12:33:12 PM »

TOD - My mother's version of "going at something higgledy-piggledy" is "going at it like you're killing snakes."  Love that visual.

Ginny

« Reply #141 on: February 27, 2006, 12:34:17 PM »

Can you all tell I'm going for a number-of-posts milestone?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: February 27, 2006, 12:38:00 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~GOOD HEALTH VIBES TO RICHARD PALMER!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[/move]
DR Ginny, between Harriet and Richard, your life is a mess.  I think you should take a week off for stress relief.  Tell Richard I send my best wishes and affection.

Tomovoz

« Reply #143 on: February 27, 2006, 12:39:32 PM »

If you leave me, can I come too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

FJL

« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2006, 12:40:07 PM »

Vibes to Ginny's DH Richard.  Glad he's doing well.

Ginny

« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2006, 12:41:49 PM »

DR Elmore, thanks - would you like to tell that to my managers?

The real kicker here is that I called the older brother's house this morning to tell them that if there was an emergency with M-i-L, the "first responder" brother would be unavailable.  Well, that older brother was also sick all night, so maybe the fair-haired younger one will have to step up this time . :-X

Tomovoz

« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2006, 12:44:19 PM »

Thoughts with you and those you love DR Ginny.

The Bee Gees would never have suffered from multi-syllabic disease. Most puerile lyrics in the pop world.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ginny

« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2006, 12:48:20 PM »

Thanks, DRs FJL and Tomovoz!

Tomovoz

« Reply #148 on: February 27, 2006, 12:58:24 PM »

Not TOTD but I watched "David & Lisa" last night.. First time since 1965! I still like it a lot but these days it does seem a little "heavy handed".  

Also watched Bryn and Renée "Under The Stars" concert.   Bryn's singing seems so "effortless". Beautiful.
James Thurber 1957

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #149 on: February 27, 2006, 01:01:51 PM »

Oh GINNY!! ~~~~VIBES~~~~ for DH Richard and for you too, caregiver to all..... I vote you get to choose your DVD NOW!

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up