Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CURIOUS CASE OF THE CELL PHONE MESSAGE  (Read 14812 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE CURIOUS CASE OF THE CELL PHONE MESSAGE
« on: March 08, 2005, 12:02:40 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know all about "George" and his message, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently out buying a time share.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 11:58:47 PM by bk »

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE CURIOUS CASE OF THE CELL PHONE MESSAGE
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 12:12:29 AM »

And the word of the day is.......?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 12:14:01 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know all about "George" and his message, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently out buying a time share.

I would just like to emphasize that BK's phone "George" is neither ME nor MBarnum's George, who isn't me, either! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 12:15:34 AM »

~~~~HEALING VIBES TO DR ELMORE~~~~

Jed

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 12:19:17 AM »

Love the Hitchcock/Bel Geddes "Lamb to the Slaughter."  Wonderful stuff, that.

As for Carousel, I offer myself up as Louise.  I promise I'd be truly wretched.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 12:22:50 AM »

And the word of the day is: SAGACIOUS!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 12:29:25 AM »

I'm quite tired right now.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 12:32:45 AM »

Carousel:

Billy Bigelow: Mario Cantone
Julie Jordan: Ellen de Generes
Carrie: Whoopi Goldberg
Mr. Snow: Bernie Mac
Jigger: Harvey Fierstein
Nettie: Roseanne

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 12:33:02 AM »

SAGACIOUS!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 12:45:22 AM »

SAGACIOUS!

Having or showing keen discernment, sound judgment, and farsightedness. See Synonyms at shrewd.

adj 1: acutely insightful and wise; "much too perspicacious to be taken in by such a spurious argument"; "observant and thoughtful, he was given to asking sagacious questions"; "a source of valuable insights and sapient advice to educators" [syn: perspicacious, sapient] 2: skillful in statecraft or management; "an astute and sagacious statesman"
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2005, 03:21:44 AM »

SAGACIOUS; My "e-dictionary" says only "adj. showing good judgement and understanding. (wise) :-[

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2005, 04:13:10 AM »

I think the posters at HHW are the most sagacious on the internet!

Who sponsored said 'giveaway' - that is the organization who subsequently sold the names and numbers to George.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2005, 04:13:53 AM »

Jose, what a coinkidink that you played for Anthony.

He was actually a little disappointed in his audition because as much as he rehearsed the song at home when it came time to sing it in the room he felt it was too low for him. It was the first time he sang it in an audition and now he knows and said he would stick to things like A Fella with An Umbrella or even much earlier Berlin.

He's got more auditions today, both during the day at Equity and tonight for an Equity showcase. Then more tomorrow. Oh, the life of an itinerant actor. That's the part of the business I don't miss at all.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2005, 04:19:36 AM »

Oh my - wonderful posts from yesterday.  I didn't get back to the computer after 6 pm....in fact didn't get back to anything.

Hmmmmmmm.....I heard the show announced on the radio last summer as ca-ROU-sal - so maybe that's what we should call our production.

Billy - Dom DeLuise
Julie - Angie Dickinson
Carrie - Yvonne DeCarlo
Mr Snow - William Hung
Jigger - Dean Jones
Nettie - Dorothy Provine
Star Catcher - Burt Reynolds

This cast of course will be appearing at the Burt Reynolds Jupiter Theatre.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2005, 04:27:26 AM »

Good morning, all!  I thought the first operatic minutes of FAT ACTRESS, to the Rossini overture, were over the top and very funny.  I didn't feel the lunacy was sustained much beyond that, although I loved the idea of fat white women trolling for black guys in soul food establishments.  There should have been several more sitting around the place.  The good thing about Showtime on Demand is that I can watch it later in the week snd not miss MEDIUM.  I'll give the show a couple of weeks to see how I like it.

CAROUSEL?  Always go for the tabloids:
Billy . . . Michael Jackson
Julie . . . Paris Hilton
Carrie . . . Nicole Richie
Mr Snow . . . David Gest
Nettie . . . Liza Minelli
Jigger . . . Tommy Lee
Louise . . . Shannon Doherty
Mrs Mullins . . . Janet Jackson
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2005, 05:26:44 AM »

I like Martin Short for Billy...
Patti LuPone for Julie
(see, these people can actually sing...)
Renee Fleming as Carrie
ummmm.... that's all I can think of for now

I'm going to have to start figuring out a way to sleep past 7 ayem... today is loaded with errands, as you might guess. Somewhere in there I'll have to go to the bank, shop for some groceries, do some laundry (YIKES! that's overdue...), get to the theater for a meeting with the tech supervisor and my lighting person, attend my BMI workshop, clean this place -- and actually REHEARSE my blooming SHOW at some point. My pal Bill arrives tonight - hence the pricey sublet rental -- there's an extra room with an extra sofabed...

Jose, I'm so glad you're here!!! Can't wait for Thursday!!! Now the actual FUN starts!!! I'm sorry about your apartment crisis - ah, yes, I remember it well. Been there, done that...

Hope our Elmore is feeling hopeful and confident. Fat chance, huh? Oh, goody! More doctors... Well, let's all feel hopeful and confident FOR HIM!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2005, 05:40:35 AM »

Good morning, Dear Ben! looks like it's just you an' me, kid.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2005, 05:41:56 AM »

And it's that time for me - get my sagging rump hoisted and into this day. Oh, I do miss the lovely sunshine and warmth of yesterday. gloriosky, whatta day that was!

Anyway, see ya...
PennyO

Ben

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2005, 05:42:40 AM »

Yep! Just heard (yesterday) an interview with some of the founding members of the BMI workshop on BBC Radio 3. What a fascinating process.

Anthony and I (and everybody else) are looking forward to your show

Michael

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2005, 05:51:54 AM »

Harvey Fierstein: Nettie
Krusty Alley: Julie
Dennis Franz: Billy
Simon (from American Idol): Jigger
Paula Abdul: Carrie
Randy Jackson: Mr. Snow
Ryan Seacreat: The Star Keeper
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2005, 05:52:39 AM »

That should be Kristy Alley not Krusty from the Simpsons
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2005, 05:53:05 AM »

How's it going with the show Penny O??
Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2005, 05:58:40 AM »

Re: last night's American Idol.

I think clearly Travis is gone.  I thought he would be the one to go anyhow.  But after what the judges said, he will definitely go.

And then IMO it has to be either scott or nikko.  I think Nikko is the more obvious choice to go.  But with Paula's gushing, who knows.

I think Bo, Anwar, Mario, Constantine, and Anthony are popular enough (and sang well enough) to stay.

My favorites are still Anwar, Anthony and Constantine.  Although Bo is sort of growing on me.  And with all the praise he's getting, he will stick around for a while.  

I did like Mario much better last night than normal. So we shall see.

Probably won't be too exciting an elimination show.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2005, 06:17:19 AM »

Is that TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED an US show or a British show?

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2005, 06:44:11 AM »

I find the conversations here (my own contributions always excepted) quite sagacious
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2005, 06:45:30 AM »

Is that TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED an US show or a British show?

Extract from AMAZON

The wicked wit of Roald Dahl's fiction is superbly adapted in the first two seasons of Tales of the Unexpected. Premiering on British TV in 1979, this first-rate anthology series had the added advantage of Dahl himself as host, introducing each 25-minute episode from a cozy English fireside and bringing his own dark, playfully macabre sensibility to the stories that followed. In the delicious tradition of O. Henry, the author's twisted sense of irony inspired superior adaptations from several of England's finest dramatists (most notably Ronald Harwood, Oscar®-winner for The Pianist), and in turn their teleplays attracted an impressive array of high-caliber British and American actors including John Gielgud, John Mills, Joseph Cotten, Gloria Grahame, Susan George, Julie Harris, Derek Jacobi, Michael Gambon, Elaine Stritch, Joan Collins, and many more.

Shot on videotape, these 25 episodes compensate for modest budgets by emphasizing excellence in dialogue, direction, and performance, all heightened by the sophisticated savagery of Dahl's cynical but never off-putting appreciation for the dark side of humanity. Unlike the mostly supernatural twists of The Twilight Zone, murder and other kinds of extreme misbehavior provide the motivation for these Tales, most of which deliver a highly refined sense of devious delight. For the final three episodes, Dahl generously includes other authors of his ilk including John Collier, whose story "Back for Christmas" inspires a particularly grisly scenario. Consistently high in quality, these overlooked gems deliver quintessentially British twists of fate, each worthy of a sly and devilish grin. --Jeff Shannon

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

vixmom

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2005, 06:46:19 AM »

Welcome to New York DR Jose
(sorry about the weather)

vixmom

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2005, 06:52:59 AM »

today is loaded with errands, as you might guess. Somewhere in there I'll have to go to the bank, shop for some groceries, do some laundry (YIKES! that's overdue...),

Don't speak to me of laundry!! (I refer you to Sunday evenings extremely boring posts by yours truly)  :D

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2005, 07:11:51 AM »

Okay - well, the laundry will wait (again!) until tomorrow, ditto the major grocery shopping.

Howz the show going... well, I just received my insurance certificate - there is a big mistake: the nitwit who typed it up put down that the show is covered from march 15-21. I paid for March 15-27. that's something new now, that I must add to my list of stuff to do today - make a long trip through the maze of voicemail somewhere in Indiana... oy.

And - my so-called PR person still has not gotten back to me (this is two weeks-plus, now) about the poster guy. So, I ordered and PAID for 100 posters, that will look just LOVELY sitting in a box - unless I also find some time to ask around at stores and restaurants in the Theater District, to see if I may be allowed to post them. MYSELF. Well, that'll be a nice change from REHEARSING MY SHOW - a little exercise in the open air, with a tape gun. Ah, the life of a Broadway STAR!!!

But I did have a few hours with the estimable Larry Raiken - and we had a lot of fun and got some very good work done on the actual show. It felt so good! I have known Larry for a hundred years - City Opra and B'way, and a lot of stuff in between. Another polymath, like so many of us. And the funniest man I have ever known. (he is "Terrance Raskin" in my book...)
PennyO

vixmom

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2005, 07:13:02 AM »

Has anybody seen this?

"TOKYO - Chess grand master Bobby Fischer has been placed in solitary confinement at a Japanese immigration detention center for four days after a fracas with guards at breakfast, his fiancee and ex-bodyguard said on Monday.

The former world chess champion is fighting deportation from Japan to the United States, where he is wanted for violating sanctions against Yugoslavia by playing a chess match there in 1992. He has been in custody in Japan since he was arrested last July for traveling on an invalid U.S. passport.

Fischer’s fiancee, Miyoko Watai, a four-time Japan women’s chess champion who last year announced plans to marry Fischer, said he told her during a meeting on Monday morning that he had been in solitary confinement from last Wednesday to Sunday morning at the detention center in Ushiku, northeast of Tokyo.

‘A bit of trouble with some of the staff’
“There was a bit of trouble with some of the staff,” Watai said at a news conference.

Watai said Fischer became involved in a dispute with guards when he asked for an additional boiled egg at breakfast. The dispute escalated to a scuffle, leading Fischer to be placed in solitary confinement.

Issei Kato / Reuters
Masako Suzuki, a Japanese lawyer for former world chess champion Bobby Fischer, speaks with Gudmundur Thorainsson, right, a former member of Iceland's parliament, and Saemundur Palsson, a longtime friend of Fischer's, during a Tokyo news conference on Monday.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Both psychologically and mentally, he is reaching his limits,” she said.

An official at the detention center declined to comment, citing privacy and security reasons.

Watai and other Fischer supporters, including a longtime friend who came to Japan last week in hopes of taking Fischer back to Iceland, said last week that they and Fischer’s lawyers had been prevented from meeting with him since Wednesday.

Iceland, the site of the match where Fischer won the world chess title in 1972 in a classic Cold War encounter with Soviet champion Boris Spassky, offered Fischer a home late last year.

In February, it agreed to issue him a special passport that would allow him to travel through 15 West European countries in what is known as the Schengen Zone, thereby avoiding deportation.

Icelandic passport awaits at embassy
Icelandic Ambassador to Japan Thordur Oskarsson said that the passport has been issued and is being held at the embassy in Tokyo pending Fischer’s release.

“Our instruction is only to release it to him when the Japanese authorities release him from detention,” he added.

It remained unclear, however, whether Japanese immigration authorities would agree to let Fischer go to Iceland rather than deport him to the United States.

On Friday, Fischer formally applied to Japanese immigration authorities for voluntary departure to Iceland.

“I believe that all the conditions for him to leave for Iceland have now been satisfied,” Masako Suzuki, one of Fischer’s lawyers, said Monday.

Fischer’s longtime Icelandic friend Saemundur Palsson, who met the chess great when he was his bodyguard during the 1972 match, said he was unhappy with Japan’s handling of the case.

“I am very disappointed in the Japanese people for taking part in this because I thought they were one of the best and most polite people I had ever met,” he said.

In the latest twist in the case, a Japanese newspaper reported Sunday that Fischer might be indicted by U.S. authorities for tax evasion, after which the U.S. government might ask for him to be handed over by Japan.

Fischer’s lawyers declined to comment on the report, saying they still had to verify details."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7117276/?GT1=6305

Does it seem bizarre to anyone else that with all the troubles in the world the US Governmentr is spending  millions of dollars to persecute  prosecute a man for playing chess?!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 07:14:00 AM by vixmom »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up