Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ESTATE SALE  (Read 18253 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:THE ESTATE SALE
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2005, 08:36:22 AM »

Matt, is this a new bio of Flynn?  I read one years ago (the one that suggested the affair between Flynn and Tyrone Power), but is there another one that I should read?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2005, 08:38:20 AM »

Well my connection is DOWN again!  I will soon be off to the theatre.

MR BK - you will get the $200 back - and if the estate sale is for someone who was once well known, just imagine what might be there?  A small price to pay - and didn't you pay more for the Jack Benny items?  And who knows who might be there?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2005, 08:42:20 AM »

Matt, is this a new bio of Flynn?  I read one years ago (the one that suggested the affair between Flynn and Tyrone Power), but is there another one that I should read?

No, that's the same bio. There is a more recent one about him that I haven't read (he's not actually a great favorite of mine though I like him in some films).

I understand that the TCM biography on Flynn shoots down the Nazi rumors and makes no mention of any bisexual dalliances.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2005, 08:43:05 AM »

The FLYNN documentary has a couple of interesting interviews, and some OLD ones that have already been seen.  And it seems to infer that TOO MUCH, TOO SOON was a movie biography of John Barrymore rather than Diana.  Worth having for the deHavilland interview, though!

Well since I live closest, I guess I am the last to leave for the theatre.

Good search vibes for MR BK at the estate sale.

Hmmmmmmmm.....performer I have seen most often....hmmmm....Katharine Hepburn possibly.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2005, 08:43:32 AM »

Thanks for the TV info DR MATTH!

I have on my matching socks and I am off!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2005, 08:44:21 AM »

No, that's the same bio. There is a more recent one about him that I haven't read (he's not actually a great favorite of mine though I like him in some films).

I understand that the TCM biography on Flynn shoots down the Nazi rumors and makes no mention of any bisexual dalliances.

Well, of course not, we are too busy trying to prove that Abe Lincoln was gay.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2005, 08:47:49 AM »

Well the performer I have seen most often would have to be Judy Garland, followed closely by Jimmy Stewart.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2005, 08:48:45 AM »

Jrand, are you going to miss the curtain?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2005, 08:54:19 AM »

Sometimes, I wonder where these thoughts come from that seem to just pop out of my head?  But can you imagine, if she had lived, seeing Judy Garland singing I'M STILL HERE on stage?
“One thing’s universal,

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2005, 08:56:32 AM »

Here's a topic for fun and fascination. What actor would you say you have watched the most films featuring him or her?

For me, it would be either George Segal or Warren Oates.

Then, someone like Ward Bond, who just shows up in a lot of stuff, he could be right up there.

HA--exactly!  I would immediately say someone like Kate Hepburn or Cary Grant, but I have a feeling that I've seen charactor actors like Henry Jones or Reta Shaw in more movies than the former two combined.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2005, 08:58:19 AM »

Sometimes, I wonder where these thoughts come from that seem to just pop out of my head?  But can you imagine, if she had lived, seeing Judy Garland singing I'M STILL HERE on stage?

Or "Losing My Mind".
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2005, 09:01:42 AM »

Glenn Erickson has a total rave of the LI'L ABNER DVD on his website. Makes me all the more eager to get my hands on the DVD.

I really respect his reviews even when I occasionally disagree with them, but poor man has a very limited knowledge of Broadway and can't ever make apt comparisons when he's discussing Broadway shows made into films.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2005, 09:03:24 AM »

HA--exactly!  I would immediately say someone like Kate Hepburn or Cary Grant, but I have a feeling that I've seen charactor actors like Henry Jones or Reta Shaw in more movies than the former two combined.

Well, if we are going to go that direction, then probably Emil Sitka, becuase you can count each one of those Three Stooges shorts as a different film.  Hell, in that case, the answer would probably be Moe Howard.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2005, 09:09:27 AM »

Did I tell everyone (does everyone even care) that I will be playing Buffalo Bill Cody in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN in June?  We start rehearsals next week.  Now, if I could only get Brent Barrett to play Frank Butler..........
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2005, 09:19:12 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up!  I'm up!

And I must get going... soon...

DR TCB - Congrats!

DR Rodzinksi - As for the pic in the tunnel.... Ssshhhh... I thought we weren't supposed to tell anyone...  ;)

-Actually, it came out looking "artistic" due to the low light. I need to futz with it, and then I'll post.

DRs Jrand, Ginny and Joey - See you soon!

As for actor/actress I've seen the most on screen... Hmmm... Probably Gene Hackman - isn't he in everything?

OK - Time for me to get ready for the matinee...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2005, 09:24:19 AM »

I had a perfectly pleasant night's sleep once I actually fell asleep, which I think was around three in the morning.  It was one of those nights - just a thousand things going on in ye olde cranium, some of which I even scribbled on my bedside pad.  

I suppose I should make myself presentable for the Estate Sale.  They have a "preview" at ten, the auction begins at eleven.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2005, 09:24:30 AM »

TESSITURA!

Danise

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2005, 09:25:42 AM »

Good morning all!

Best wishes to the Indianapoils-bound  Mama Mia group!   I hope you have a WONDERFUL day!  We want a full report with pictures (if possible)!

All good wishes to DR Elmore for tomorrow.  Be well!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

I want to see the pictures DR Jose took!

I forgot about yesterday being the wedding day for Charles and Camilla.  My feelings on it is that I think they both deserve to be happy but I dearly hope that neither one of them had anything to do with Diana’s death.  I’m not saying she was murdered but I also can’t totally dismiss the possibility.  

I wanted to tell you about the storm we had the other day.  It was really something.  We had wind gusts of about 40 MPH.  No joke.  What was funny was that one guy lost his toupee and was chasing it down the street.  I wish I had my camera with me (with batteries that were FULLY charged).  

My favorite umbrella was ruined.  The wind grabbed it and turned it inside out.  I bought a new one on online called a “GustBuster”.  It has a vent in it so the wind can’t do that to it.  I hope it works.  

Gentleman Jim is a very good Flynn movie but then, most of his were.  

My parents didn't really restrict my reading material when I was young.  I read, My Wicked, Wicked, Ways when I was in my early teens.  What an education THAT was!   :o  :D  ;)

I’m starting to catch up on what I missed.  I am so very sorry to hear about “Angel Joe”.  It’s not fair.  I don’t know what to say.

I am also very late but I want to express my deepest sympathy and condolences to DR TD.  

The same for your friend, DR Rodzinski.  I am very sorry for the loss of your friend.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2005, 09:27:11 AM »

Oh and I meant to tell you that I did order the Midget Lemon Tree.  Not sure when it will arrive but I need to go buy a planter and dirt for it.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2005, 09:30:18 AM »

Lemon Tree very pretty.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2005, 09:31:24 AM »

I'm a bit bored of our incessant windy days here in the City of Studio.

Hisaka, the Eyetalian westerns were called Spaghetti westerns in the US.  In fact, I believe the phrase was coined here.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2005, 09:40:37 AM »

Danise, I of all people should not be correcting other people's facts, but I believe it is Angel Jim.  Joe being Mr. Orr's other half.
“One thing’s universal,

Danise

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2005, 09:52:13 AM »

I wasn't able to find the pictures of DR Ben's bears & other stuff animals.  Did I miss them?

Don't be suprised if I'm a bit E & T this week as well.  I have a feeling I will be putting in more overtime at work.  I hate it that my boss is bringing me home.  Of all times!  I want to ride the bus in case they are doing counts of how many are riding and getting off at my stop.  

I've sent an e-mail to the county commissioners, some of the local news shows and the newspaper.  I haven't heard back from any of them.   I don't know what else to do.  It's very upsetting.

It's the working people who use the express busses.  They sent a rep from HARTLINE on my girlfriends bus (another one they are wanted to change) and he had the nerve to tell them that "HARTLINE isn't taking the bus away from them, just changing the route."

Well, excuse me, but if I can't get to bus because of the change you are making, isn't THAT the SAME THING  as taking it away?  Geez.  Sorry for the rant.

I thank goodness that I bought Bonnie when I did.  I might have to drive a very long way to catch the bus if this happens.  I've already offered to drive some of the others that would be displaced but as they pointed out, what happens if I have to work late (which seems to be happening more and more) or take a day off from work.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2005, 09:53:39 AM »

Danise, I of all people should not be correcting other people's facts, but I believe it is Angel Jim.  Joe being Mr. Orr's other half.

Opps, I am sorry.  Forgive my fingers, they know not what they type! :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2005, 09:58:04 AM »

Glenn Erickson has a total rave of the LI'L ABNER DVD on his website. Makes me all the more eager to get my hands on the DVD.

I really respect his reviews even when I occasionally disagree with them, but poor man has a very limited knowledge of Broadway and can't ever make apt comparisons when he's discussing Broadway shows made into films.

Frances Farmer's first husband is reviewing DVDs from beyond the grave?  (Glenn was one of several monikers Leif used in his career).  ;)

I have today OFF!!!  Yay.  Thank heavens I was hired by a British Rector who told me he thought "this American custom of only 2 weeks holiday a year is ridiculous."  So I get 4 weeks off every year, which is very hard to schedule.  I have today and next Sunday off (we'll be at the coast next Sunday), and then we think we'll take a driving vacation to Yellowstone with the kids in July or August, when I'll have my next 2 weeks off.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2005, 09:58:48 AM »

Just let the Savant know where you read the first rave of the Li'l Abner DVD.  You hear it all here first.

Off to the Estate Sale.

BUTT - before I go, I picked up a message that had been left for me last night by my pal, Miss Barbara Deutsch, one of my four book guinea pigs.  It was a brief message and we'll speak more when she gets back into town tomorrow - but she professed to love the book and quoted several of her favorite lines from it.  She said she hated all the right people and loved all the right people.  What a nice Sunday morning message.

Danise

« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2005, 10:08:12 AM »

I have to go as well.  I have to go get my eggs for this weeks breakfast (I'm back on my diet) and have few chores to complete as well.  

Have a GREAT day everyone!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2005, 10:18:22 AM »

Danise, I think it is outrageous, that in this period when gas prices are going through the roof (if you can afford a roof) that you and your fellow bus riders are going to be denied access to a means of mass transit.  Don’t stop with just your county commissioners, contact your Congressional Representatives (they all should have local numbers or e-mails) and tell them that you want something done about this -- NOW.  Be firm.  Be aggressive.  Be angry!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2005, 10:19:31 AM »

Well, I guess that fell on deaf ears (or in this case, eyes).  I am all alone in the world!
“One thing’s universal,

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2005, 10:31:28 AM »

Deaf eyes are sad eyes indeed.

Congrats on the role in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN, TCB!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up