Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ESTATE SALE  (Read 18294 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:THE ESTATE SALE
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2005, 10:36:03 AM »

Thanks, Tom.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2005, 11:00:06 AM »

And the word of the day is: TESSITURA!
Scarlett found that her tessitura rose if she tightened her girdle.  Ashley got the same results from wearing smaller underpants.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2005, 11:21:05 AM »

MATTH, I wouldn't put much credence in the Higham biography, most of his Nazi accusations have been discredited.  And the reason that Flynn's scenes is Gentleman Jim had to filmed in short bursts wasn't because he wasn't much of an athlete, but because he suffered from repeated bouts of malaria, had an irregular heartbeat, and had had tuberculosis.  Despite that and whatever dissaption came from his drinking and drugs (and I never saw a man disspate so fast; when he died at fifty, he looked sixty-five), he was through the thirties and forties...a natural athlete, he spent a great deal of time on the water and was one of Hollywood's top-ranked tennis players.  

In his films, he was a vigorous, if utterly undisciplined and dangerous fencer.  Basil Rathbone was a very good fencer and could have whipped all those who came against him on the screen in real life.  The only better Hollywood fencer was Cornel Wilde who had been on the US Olympic fencing team, I believe.

Actually, watching the TCM bio was a rather emotional experience for me; I had utterly forgotten the profound impact Flynn had had on my youth and my own theatrical ambitions.  It was also very sad to see how his contradictions and excesses led to self-destructive behaviour that shorten the life and productivity an man of genuine talent and remarkable intelligence.

The clips prove he was a better actor than many gave him credit for.  Olivia DeHaviland's remembrances were wonderful and I especially liked her story about her and Bette Davis watching Elizabeth and Essex and Davis recanting all the negative things she said about Flynn at the time...and gushing about how wonderful he was.

Rodzinski there are about a half dozen movies or so that Flynn did that no other actor could have done better, they are...

Captain Blood
Adventures of Robin Hood
The Sea Hawk
Dawn Patrol
Gentleman Jim (a terrific perfomance)
Adventures of Don Juan
They Died With Their Boots On (the history's tosh, but even though they whitewash Custer...Flynn manages to capture the figure's charisma, vanity, ego, and mercurial nature)

Other Flynn films worth a look:

CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE
PRINCE & THE PAUPER
DODGE CITY
PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH & ESSEX
SANTA FE TRAIL
FOOTSTEPS IN THE DARK
THE FORSYTE WOMAN
MASTER OF BALLANTRAE
SUN ALSO RISES
TOO MUCH, TOO SOON (...where he has a few moments that eeriely capture the essence of Barrymore)

Charles Pogue

« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2005, 11:54:00 AM »

After a little research, I've revised my list of most-watched stars

They are:

Gary Cooper
Jimmy Stewart
Cary Grant
Errol Flynn
Tyrone Power
John Wayne
Laurence Olivier
Charles Laughton
Ronald Colman

Most-watched females

Katherine Hepburn
Bette Davis

But the list would be revised again, if I included character actors like Basil Rathbone and John Carradine who would place near the top of the list.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2005, 11:58:46 AM »

Did I tell everyone (does everyone even care) that I will be playing Buffalo Bill Cody in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN in June?  We start rehearsals next week.  Now, if I could only get Brent Barrett to play Frank Butler..........
Congratulations!!  Much Leg Breakage (but not literally)!! ;D

And Welcome Back, DR Dan (the Man)!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2005, 12:42:39 PM »

I'm back from the Estate Sale.  I picked up a couple of things, two of which I probably overpaid for because I thought they were more valuable than they probably are.  That said, I couldn't find any on eBay, so who knows.  But, they're cute and I can give them as gifts or keep them.  They are two Disney Company serigraphs, one of Mickey and Minnie, and one of Mickey and Pluto.  I have no idea what the run on these are - both have the Disney seal, but neither have their certificates, unless they're on the back under the paper backing of the frame.

The best thing I got was a bronze statue of a girl sitting on a ladder, reading.  Very sweet, and I've been looking for a bronze statue and this one was perfect.  Given what I've seen these things go for, I think I got a really good deal on it, as it's quite substantial.  I'll take a photograph of it now and post it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2005, 12:49:14 PM »

Girl reading in bronze

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2005, 01:03:42 PM »

Just did a bit of nosing around - apparently the list price on these serigraphs is around 450, so I got both for less than that.  Interestingly, the ones I got not only have the sericel, they have background plates which are really nice.  Don't know if they sell them both ways - the only one I found online didn't have the background plate.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2005, 01:04:25 PM »

I have decided to be lazy today and just watch DVDs, although I may take a crack at a couple of things I'm working on.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2005, 01:14:52 PM »

Congratulations, DR TCB, on getting that part. You should do admirably as Buffalo Bill. I have an audition myself coming up but more about it if and when something positive about it transpires.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2005, 01:20:14 PM »

Charles Pogue wrote:

" Olivia DeHaviland's remembrances were wonderful and I especially liked her story about her and Bette Davis watching Elizabeth and Essex and Davis recanting all the negative things she said about Flynn at the time...and gushing about how wonderful he was."

Hmmm....Davis must have had a change of heart later on in life because, though she thought he was beautiful and right in some of his roles, she did NOT like his work in ELIZABETH AND ESSEX in hindsight. In MOTHER GODDAM, she wrote that she wanted Laurence Olivier and thought Flynn was not up to the challenges of the dialogue.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2005, 01:25:17 PM »

I watched THREE LITTLE WORDS on videotape this afternoon. The new TV upconverts standard video, and I was deathly afraid that was going to mean an artifact filled, unwatchable picture, but though the colors weren't vibrant, it didn't look horrendous for videotape. I was actually pleasantly surprised.

I had forgotten how terrific many of the numbers are in this film, particularly "Thinking of You" which "Dancing in the Dark in THE BAND WAGON was obviously modeled somewhat after. Some of the same steps and movements are right there to see. And, of course, Astaire's partner is the dancer who, in my mind, is his greatest partner after Ginger, Vera-Ellen.

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2005, 01:27:16 PM »

"All alone, I'm so all alone. . . . "

Charles Pogue

« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2005, 02:07:12 PM »

Then I would suspect Davis' reversal on Flynn's performance  came after Mother Goddam but then I'm just taking Olivia's word for it.  I personally don't  find his performance in it  among his best...you can see his discomfort and intimidation with Davis.  And I think she was a right royal bitch for treating him badly.  If she had been encouraging and helpful, it would not only have helped his performance, but hers...which I find somewhat mannered.  Actually, Flynn's temperment was perfect for the vainglorious Essex...just as it was for Custer...and it should have been mined to that effect.  He was very good casting for the part, not that Olivier wouldn't have been either.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 02:12:01 PM by Charles Pogue »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2005, 02:14:55 PM »

One of Davis' biographers is on a Crawford group I subscribe to and he (she?) was just yesterday discussing Elizabeth and Essex.  She (he?) concurred that Davis totally recanted her negative comments about Flynn late in life.  I'll go back and see if I saved the post and will copy it here.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 02:15:25 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2005, 02:40:57 PM »

I'm watching Mr. Glenn Ford in Jubal and eating potato salad.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2005, 03:13:56 PM »

Ah, but what type of potato salad?  What kind of dressing on the potato salad would be appropriate while watching Jubal?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2005, 03:23:07 PM »

I just looked up Jubal over at IMDB.  Besides the always handsome Glenn Ford, you've got Ernest Borgnine, Rod Steiger, Charles Bronson, Jack Elam, Noah Beery Jr. ... what is this, the ugly cuss contest?

Ben

« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2005, 03:24:55 PM »

DR Jane, bad news about Humbugs. Neither Myers of Keswick or Carry On Tea and Sympathy (the two English stores in the Village) carry Humbugs. Oh, well. They do have many other fun things so we can still stroll over when you are in town.

DR Danise, no you didn't miss anything. I haven't posted any pictures of Hegerty or the other guys in the apartment. I just need to take a picture or two and then download them to the 'puter. T'will be done but I can't say exactly when.

DtM, welcome back. Hope you re-join the early morning denizens.

Kerry

« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2005, 03:25:07 PM »

Bruce, that is a lovely bronze.  Have you a special spot for it all picked out?

I am doing terribly mundane things today like cleaning some of the junk out of my car, clearing some of the papers from my desk, the ever present laundry and generally trying to prepare for another week.

I'll be back later.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2005, 03:25:21 PM »

I mean, "Laters."
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2005, 03:29:53 PM »

Yes, I've always had a place for whatever bronze I found, and there it is resting and looking lovely.  In the living room.  

Just paid an impromptu visit to my DVD store - again, good timing on my part.  Picked up the new Errol Flynn box set, and the new Doris Day box set.  Both look gorgeous and are very reasonably priced (more reasonably at this particular store).  The Flynn set has five films and a sixth DVD with a documentary, and the Day set has a whopping eight films (only two of which have been released before - The Pajama Game and Calamity Jane).

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2005, 03:45:40 PM »

Dear BK: Is this the same edition of Calamity Jane with little more than some premiere and awards newsreals for the special features?  If so, der B and I picked it up recently in a three-pack, along with The Unsinkable Molly Brown and Annie Get Your Gun.

Well, it might be worth handing over CJ to someone else.  What else is in the Doris Day set?

(I love The Pajama Game.  I also enjoy the I-Forgot-My-Pajamas Game, but that's not on DVD that I know of.)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 03:46:56 PM by S. Woody White »

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2005, 03:49:01 PM »

Bruce, that is a lovely bronze.  Have you a special spot for it all picked out?

I am doing terribly mundane things today like cleaning some of the junk out of my car, clearing some of the papers from my desk, the ever present laundry and generally trying to prepare for another week.

Yeah, well, I just pulled a hundred feet of wire through a hole in the wall. I'm not quite sure why, but my brother was in the attic, lowering the wire down the wall and he told me to grab a hold of it and pull it through the hole. When a voice coming from the ceiling tells you to do something, you do it.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2005, 03:51:16 PM »

Ten deer just passed through the property next to ours, and then crossed the road.

Gosh and golly, I love not living in the city!   :D

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2005, 03:59:37 PM »

First one back from Mamma Mia! We had a great time and look for the pictures from DR Ginny when she and DH Richard get back. Now I'm off to Muncie, hopefully I can nap on my way back up to school..
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Charles Pogue

« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2005, 04:05:47 PM »

BK, what is a serigraph?  Potato salad and Jubal sounds like an afternoon well-spent to me.  

I've just been for a walk and saw the famous Lloyd Wright (son, not dad) house around the corner that Ramon Navarro once lived in (not the one he was brutally murdered in).  In later years, Diane Keaton lived in it.  I'm not thrilled with her additions to it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2005, 04:12:22 PM »

A serigraph is some sort of variation on a lithograph - they produce a certain number of plates from a master then destroy (presumably) the master.

The Day set includes The Pajama Game (much nicer packaging), Calamity Jane (no additional material), Please Don't Eat the Daisies, The Glass Bottom Boat, Love Me or Leave Me, Jumbo, Lullaby of Broadway, and Young Man with a Horn.  I'm especially looking forward to Jumbo and Love Me or Leave Me.

The Flynn set has Captain Blood, Elizabeth and Essex, The Sea Hawk, They Died with Their Boots On, Dodge City, and the separated disc The Adventures of Errol Flynn.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2005, 04:17:52 PM »

Good Afternoon!

...Half hour, the Call is half hour!...

What a wonderful matinee!!

Such a pleasure to meet to DR Joey and DR Jrand and to re-meet DR Ginny and her DH Richard!  I'm sure it was their good energy and sense of fun that energized the rest of the audience in Clowes this afternoon!

And, yes, pictures were taken.  I snapped a few with my disposable, and DR Ginny's husband graciously snapped a couple of photos of the group - both in and out of their "proper attire".  -That will make sense once the pics are posted.  -Remember my "party favors"... ;)

We ate dinner at the student union between shows.  Very good - and a big Thank You to DR Jrand for loaning me a few dollars so that I could have dinner.  -The "dangers" of living with a debit card - and forgetting to get to an ATM earlier today.  In any case...

I'm about to get ready for my final Mamma Mia! for this time round.  A bit sad, but I know I'll see them again in a few weeks in Richmond.  And having a gathering of Hainsies/Kimlets today made today all the more special.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2005, 04:18:38 PM »

HHmm... and I just posted that from the pit... We're about 10 minutes from curtain....

Hmmm.. I get a good signal in the pit... Hmm...

;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up