Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: I'VE SAID IT AND I'M GLAD  (Read 19527 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:I'VE SAID IT AND I'M GLAD
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2005, 07:41:21 AM »

RE: vanishing food: When I was little we had an egg that disappeard, from a pot of boiling water

Mom put  the egg in to boil for my breakfast and we went in the other room so she could "do" my hair, and we got distracted by one or the other of my little brothers We suddenly heard a "POP" from the kitchen.  We ran into the kitchen where we discovered the pot boiled dry, but no egg!  We looked on the ceiling on the floor, in the burners, behind the stove...the egg  just vanished! My dad to this day insists it fell into the  "fourth dimension" from Twilight Zone!!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 07:44:46 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2005, 07:43:00 AM »

According to Glenn Erickson's review of the Errol Flynn boxed set, both THE PRIVATES LIVES OF ELIZABETH AND ESSEX and DODGE CITY have those three strip Technicolor registration problems. [sigh] I guess I'll see for myself when I watch DODGE CITY this weekend.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

vixmom

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2005, 07:43:21 AM »

Page Two Dance!!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2005, 07:50:37 AM »

To all our DR's who are professional writers:

When you write, do you just sit down and write and then revise later   or do you actually use the methods drilled into us by years of English teachers: outlines, first drafts, second drafts etc etc....?

Speaking of writing, I am contemplating taking a writers' workshop during my sojourn to the Omega Institute this summer.  Lynda Barry, who does the Ernie Pooks Comeek strip, regularly does a course there, and the class description sounds interesting.  

The only reason I hesitate is I have to wonder if I want to spend approximately six hours a day inside a cabin classroom writing on a summer day.  At least with the singing workshops I take, it is always an active process, physically, mentally, emotionally etc.  I'm sure Barry's workshop will include class exercises, but I'm sure there will be heads-down, pen to the paper writing time, as well.

I'll have to decide soon, as her workshop always fills up fast.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2005, 07:53:26 AM »

Dan (the man) I hope you got my PM last night...the computer went wacky when I sent it, but I think it went through...if not, well, thanks for the link to that script!!! Way out of my price range probably, but boy would it be great to have!

I got your message loud and clear, mister!

Why don't you go ahead and put in a bid, anyway?  IIRC (Internet lingo for "If I were a Rich Chick"!), all of the opening bids were $1.00.  I put in for some kind of Tony Awards thingy that's valued at $300, but I put in a bid at just $50.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2005, 07:58:32 AM »

Oh, I just read the obituary for Oscar nominated actress Ruth Hussey (THE PHILADELPHIA STORY). She was also in my favorite of THE THIN MAN films, the third one ANOTHER THIN MAN.

R.I.P.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2005, 08:11:53 AM »

How about using the revival cast of Irene for a production of Hair?:

Sheila:  Debbie Reynolds
Claude:  George S. Irving
Dionne:  Patsy Kelly
Crissy:  Ruth Warrick
Berger:  Monte Markham
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2005, 08:19:58 AM »

Lynda Barry came on the cruise ship where I was the featured entertainer for many years (she lives in Seattle and was visiting Portland).  I also was the special material writer and had written a little opening number for the cast (read waiters) to sing.  She evidently loved it and asked for a lyric sheet.  Now this was not relayed to me until after the cruise when she had disembarked.  I think she wrote the book and lyrics for a musical a couple of years later and I would have loved to have collaborated with her.  If you meet her, give her my email!!  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2005, 08:21:33 AM »

Yes, last year, Ryan asked George Huff to go join the group he thought was the safe group, and he joined the group with Jennifer, LaToya, and Fantasia. That, of course, ended up being the bottom group to the shock of the nation. There were no such shocks last night (though I still say that Vonzell and Carrie deserved to be in the bottom with Anwar based on Tuesday's performances.)

BTW, Bo was SO smart to go to the middle rather than choosing a group. I'll bet that got him some new fans for next week's voting.

IIRC, the girls thought they were in the top group, too, and they were waving George over to join them.

When they learned the truth, they all started laughing, but Fantasia nearly doubled over from laughing so hard.  Sadly, Jennifer was the one to go...and she did not look amused when she found out.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 08:22:52 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2005, 08:25:41 AM »

DR's all... I know this is not usually done here but I just receoived an email from a friend with this information and when I gave it a shot lo and behold way too much information for my tastes appeared... thought you might all be interested in knowing about this

"The below was sent to me by a friend.  A quick check of myself found LOTS of information listed about me...info that I'd rather not have the whole world privy to.  I suggest you run a check on yourself as well.

Removal requests should be emailed to  optout@zabasearch.com.

The site itself is www.zabasearch.com

Scary to say the least...."

MBarnum

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2005, 08:26:34 AM »

Well, perhaps I will put in a bid...it can't hurt...this is a live bid, which I have never done before.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2005, 08:30:48 AM »

IIRC, the girls thought they were in the top group, too, and they were waving George over to join them.

When they learned the truth, they all started laughing, but Fantasia nearly doubled over from laughing so hard.  

Yep, I remember them laughing, but no one else was, and the gasp from the audience (along with the looks on the three judges' faces) was not the least bit funny.

vixmom

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2005, 08:40:28 AM »

There's an ad on top for  "How to hard boil an egg" as well as three ads for wood stoves!

yet still nothing for albino hermoprodites

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2005, 08:44:43 AM »

Good Morning!

I made it out of bed before noon!  Hoo and Ray!

:-\

But the sky is starting to gray up and the rain is supposed to finally come this afternoon - well, a 40% chance of it at least.  So, I guess that means that there's a 40% chance of me getting my packing started.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2005, 08:47:24 AM »

Vixmom, I live and die by the outline.  I sometimes spend more time doing research and outlining than I do actually writing the script.  I have to know where I'm going and how I'm getting there before I start.  I also find a road map just allows me more possibilities and freedom for those detours of inspiration.  I always know how to get on the main road after exploring a little creative spur-of-the-moment, unplanned excursion.

I usually have anywhere from a 15-30 page detailed scene-for-scene outline before I start writing. Sometimes with huge snatches of dialogue already formulated.

I am constantly re-reading and re-writing as I go.  Sometimes I just print up a hard working copy that I can mark and edited.  Once I'm finished and written "the end", I'll print up another working copy and spend several days to a week or so, refining, honing, polishing, editing, and correcting.  By the time I turn in my first draft to the powers that be, it's really probably a third or fourth draft.

Then there's studio notes...and if it goes into production, director notes and actor notes.  It becomes an unending process.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2005, 08:50:10 AM »

...And in this morning's mail was an invitation of sorts to some function this coming Sunday.  It's from my parents.  All that is on the "invite" is the date and time - no function of celebration listed.  -Well, it does say Mass at 10:00, then lunch at the Landsdowne Resort.  I started to think that I had mis-remembered when Mother's Day was... Nope, that's not until May.   And my Dad's birthday is back in January, and my Mom's is not until June, so.... I'll have to check in with my brothers to see what's going on.

Am I in need of an intervention?

;)

But I guess that means I'm going up to Fairfax this weekend.
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2005, 08:59:28 AM »

...And in this morning's mail was an invitation of sorts to some function this coming Sunday.  It's from my parents.  All that is on the "invite" is the date and time - no function of celebration listed.  -Well, it does say Mass at 10:00, then lunch at the Landsdowne Resort.  I started to think that I had mis-remembered when Mother's Day was... Nope, that's not until May.   And my Dad's birthday is back in January, and my Mom's is not until June, so.... I'll have to check in with my brothers to see what's going on.

A celebratory Mass for passover?  ;D

vixmom

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2005, 09:04:05 AM »

Thank you DR CP fpr the detailed info, I am going to share that withthe Vixter if I might.  Her English teacher insists that she provide her "note" and "outline" and drafts with her final paper.  She wants to just dig right in and write  if I can tell her that a Real Live Writer with Book, Movie and TV credits uses the outline methods perhaps it will help!

I always wondered if anyone actually ever used this method and found it useful or if they found it cramped thier creative style.

BTW isn't your Hercules supposed to air very soon?  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2005, 09:09:30 AM »

DR vixmom - Sorry I didn't answer yesterday, I meant to...

The only official recording I appear on as a pianist is the OCR for Eleanor: An American Love Story which is a musical based on the early life of Eleanor Roosevelt up until FDR's first election/term.  Or at least up until FDR's affair and his bout with polio.  -Sorry still waking up.  I was the assistant for the production which started down at Duke University then moved up to Ford's Theatre for a few months.  We recorded the show in NYC the week after the show closed in DC.

For more information:

http://www.eleanorthemusical.com

Singing-wise, the closest thing would be on the BK-produced "Jeepers Creepers" CD.  I'm part of the "village people" who back up Judy Kaye.

A couple of years ago - well, more like ten at this point - I did have a small "act" that I would perform for some post-show cabarets in DC.  If I was playing a show, and the theatre needed some entertainment afterwards...  I called it, "Look, Ma! No Hands!"

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2005, 09:17:03 AM »

So that some of you lads can get your Jessica Skerritt fix...a shot of Jessica (far left) and the other space vixens from SAUCY JACK AND THE SPACE VIXENS.

...the review on Talkin Broadway-Seattle was not too hot...but the reviewer had nice things to say about the adorable Jessica S...

"Shining brightest is Jessica Skerritt as the dumb-bunny blonde vixen Anna Labia. Young Ms. Skerritt has the right comic touch and the ability to play this kind of camp sincerely (therby earning more laughs). Her bright vocal delivery and ease with choreography make her one to watch, on Seattle stages and beyond. "
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 09:39:42 AM by MBarnum »

vixmom

« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2005, 09:19:07 AM »

DR vixmom - Sorry I didn't answer yesterday, I meant to...

Singing-wise, the closest thing would be on the BK-produced "Jeepers Creepers" CD.  I'm part of the "village people" who back up Judy Kaye.

:)

I must listen to my copy of this more closely to see if I can "pick out ' yopur voice!!  ;D

Seriously, have you ever thought of producing a CD of  "just you" singing and playing?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2005, 09:21:07 AM »

Hey DR Jose, what was the "stunt" on Idol that you thought was horrible?  Was it Ryan asking Bo (who was safe) to go stand beside the group he thought was the top group?  I didn't think that was mean before (plus they've done that before).

I actually like it when they put the 2 groups on stage.  It was pretty obvious which was the bottom group (i picked all 3 of them).  I was sad to see Anwar go (i thought he had so much potential at the beginning).  I just wish they would have sent Scott home. Oh well probably next week.

Yeah, that was the "stunt".  I missed the time it was done the previous season, so...  But, still, a very interesting tactic.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2005, 09:33:44 AM »

I must listen to my copy of this more closely to see if I can "pick out ' yopur voice!!  ;D

Seriously, have you ever thought of producing a CD of  "just you" singing and playing?

Not seriously, but it's something I've been wanting to do for a Christmas gift for my parents - especially my Mom.  But, since I'm usually busy with shows around the holidays, setting aside that time is next to impossible.  It would have to be something I'd have to plan in the summer - just like the big names do.

-I'd also want to get back into voice lessons.  I studied each year I was in college - it was my minor.  Even sang in some opera scenes.  Oh...

Thank You.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2005, 09:37:05 AM »

DR elmore - Thanks for the Damn Yankees info.  "They" have started the pre-production work for the upcoming production at Arena Stage this Christmas.  -Right now, it looks like Matt Bogart and Alice Ripley will be playing Joe and Lola.  We're just seeing what other options there may be out there in regards to the orchestrations...  Or if it would be worth investigating having someone brought in to do a new reduction...  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2005, 09:37:08 AM »

And one more shot of Jessica Skerritt, Seattle actress/singer and HHW favorite (at least for some!)...she has the short blonde hair, hands on hips.

This should wake up BK, but good! LOL!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 09:38:43 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2005, 09:40:45 AM »

I do hope that isn't too much cheesecake for anyone!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2005, 09:40:54 AM »

Jose I love the new picture!!

Thank you.
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2005, 09:41:49 AM »

Not for this anyone!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2005, 09:49:11 AM »

MBarnum, you rule!

vixmom

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2005, 09:51:33 AM »

I do hope that isn't too much cheesecake for anyone!

and for those of us who prefer the beefcake

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up