Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SPEAKING VOLUMES  (Read 20231 times)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
Re:SPEAKING VOLUMES
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2005, 09:23:16 AM »

Ragtime

Yup!  That too!

And SIDE SHOW

(For a while, I listened to BALLROOM incessantly.  But that was when the LP was released.)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2005, 09:23:49 AM »

I wondered if it was an Applegate stunt double at the time, but I didn't play it back. I will watch it again today since I'll be transferring the show from the hard drive to a DVD-R.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2005, 09:25:09 AM »

I know I started Page 3, but like Hugh Jackman last night, I won't dance.  Don't ask me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2005, 09:27:07 AM »

I'm groggy this morning, but I shall try to shake off that groggy feeling.

Apparently, Miss Clark's head mic was the problem - problem being they couldn't find which fader had it, the CBS sound people.  They eventually found it in time for the actual number.

Ben

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2005, 09:30:33 AM »

As BK said (re: the microphone for Miss Clark), it was a technical problem, nothing more.

Off to lunch.

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2005, 09:31:51 AM »

And what a way to honor those who passed--with a song that contains the line "How can they spot you got no talent?"  Sheesh!

My jaw dropped when I heard that  :o
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2005, 09:36:56 AM »

Years ago when "Beauty and the Beast" was up for the Best Song Oscar, [snip] then the duo (Peebo Bryson and someone else) ...

You mean Celine Dion?

Wonder whatever happened to her?

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2005, 09:39:41 AM »

Well I have finally caught up.....I wish I could have joined you all for your Partay but as I said the dial up just wasn't connecting

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ginny

« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2005, 09:42:18 AM »

Well I have finally caught up.....I wish I could have joined you all for your Partay but as I said the dial up just wasn't connecting

And we missed you, DR vixmom!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2005, 09:42:45 AM »

After the Tonys were over I was flipping around and found "The Dan Band" on Bravo, it was a program "already in progress" as they say and it was this slightly overweight guy dressed in some kind of mechanic's uniform, with two backup singers in suit and tie and glasses.

He was singing all sorts of "girl songs" like, Ring My Bell, and  Genie in A Bottle. Very funny.....

BTW does anybody else think that the backup singer on the right looks like one of our DR's?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 09:56:35 AM by vixmom »

Ben

« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2005, 09:53:59 AM »

So this is what Cherry Jones meant when she talked about "Laura Wingfield" (from Playbill On-Line)

Cherry Jones, when taking her Best Actress (Play) award for Doubt referenced her "Laura Wingfield" from the stage. Her partner is Sarah Paulson, of Broadway's The Glass Menagerie.

vixmom

« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2005, 09:58:00 AM »

What was the headline on AOL last night?

vixmom

« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2005, 09:58:32 AM »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2005, 10:03:11 AM »

After the Tonys were over I was flipping around and found "The Dan Band" on Bravo, it was a program "already in progress" as they say and it was this slightly overweight guy dressed in some kind of mechanic's uniform, with two backup singers in suit and tie and glasses.

He was singing all sorts of "girl songs" like, Ring My Bell, and  Genie in A Bottle. Very funny.....

BTW does anybody else think that the backup singer on the right looks like one of our DR's?

"The Dan Band" is a lot of fun!  And that special they landed on Bravo apparently came about in one of those "only in Hollywood" ways.  I forget the exact details, but Steven Spielberg was one of the producers.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2005, 10:11:18 AM »

I don't remember the exact wording but something to the effect that Doubt beat out Spamalot for the Tony for Best Play
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 10:11:45 AM by Ben »

Jennifer

« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2005, 10:16:37 AM »

Can someone tell me what the headline was that was posted last night that you guys were laughing at?

Also, I agree about singing "SomeWhere" as a tribute to Sondheim.  I wanted a song that he wrote both music and lyrics for!

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2005, 10:23:20 AM »

Ha, you guys were reading my mind. I had written my comments after reading page 1, but didn't press "post".  The headline is now changed to something much more boring.

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2005, 10:23:47 AM »

I meant to add last night that the scene that was performed from SPAMALOT did nothing for me.

I forget if any DRs have seen SPAMALOT or not...if so, what did you think of it. It did not look like something I would enjoy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2005, 10:25:00 AM »

After some visits from a couple of "little birdies" this morning...

-Aretha Franklin sang "Somewhere" on that horrendous "Songs from West Side Story" CD that was released a couple of years ago.

-Ms. Franklin did not show up for rehearsal yesterday.  Mr. Jackman was sort of feeding her the words in that reverse echo pop fashion thingie.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 10:26:35 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2005, 10:25:25 AM »

Yes DR BEN is correct - it read "DOUBT Beats SPAMALOT for Tony As Best Play."
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2005, 10:28:18 AM »

...And at least it wasn't that arrangement of "Somewhere" that Barbra Streisand used on her first Broadway album... well, you know what I mean...  -And I still remember my jaw-dropping to the ground in disbelief when I saw Kiri Te Kanawa in concert, and she used that same arrangement.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2005, 10:31:33 AM »

Yes - many of my favorites have been mentioned, but I that won't stop me.

COMPANY - Original Cast Album with Mr Dean Jones, et al.
MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG - Revival produced by Mr BK
THE MUSIC MAN - so funny, and the Capital Stereo is great!
LES MIZ - because I like the show so much
WILDCAT - to hear Lucy
MY FAIR LADY - the London STEREO recording

I liked WEST SIDE STORY in the soundtrack version because I don't think the OCR was in true stereo, although it may have been re-processed along the way somewhere.

AND:
JOSEPH/TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT - London revisal with Mr Jason Donovan

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2005, 10:33:08 AM »

Last night I decided to throw away some 20 year old magazines that I dug out of the trash barrel at the Phoenix Theatre.  Issues of THEATRE DESIGN & TECHNOLOGY and THEATRE CRAFTS.  I saved the "show covers" and stories of the TC's and some of the "how-to" stories from TD&T.  Wow have things changed in the last 20-25 years!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2005, 10:41:45 AM »

elmore,  I listen to both the 1960's version of BOYS FROM SYRACUSE and the more complete version done in the 90's. I think I also have a record of a version Jack Cassidy did.  I usually listen to the McGlinn BRIGADOON, though I have the vinyl Cassidy version of that too, I believe.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2005, 10:44:20 AM »

The OCR of West Side Story is indeed in true stereo, always has been.  It's actually quite good stereo, too.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2005, 10:47:51 AM »

The OCR of West Side Story is indeed in true stereo, always has been.  It's actually quite good stereo, too.  

One of my favorite afternoons in high school was spent over at a friend's house listening to the OCR of West Side Story on his parents high-end stereo system in their spacious living room.  It was amazing to hear how the characters/voices tracked from one part of the "stage" to the other.  The "Jet's Song" never sounded so vivid to me!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2005, 10:58:14 AM »

I saw all four nominated shows. They each have their own good points.

The thing about Spamalot is, if you don't like Monty Python, chances are you won't like the show. It's the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail transferred to stage with filler material added. It is without questions very well done. There are very talented people involved and there is a professional sheen about the production that comes from experience and hard work. I laughed and had a good time. I don't regret seeing the show at all. That being said, it is not my favorite of the four shows and I won't return to it any time soon.

Many people in the audience know all the material before it happens and they screech with laughter at the entrance of a certain character before anything is even said because they know what will happen. I find that just a bit annoying.

The number shown on the Tonys did absolutely NOTHING (IMHO) to show the silly, crazy and off-the-wall moments in the show. If I had not seen the show already, that number would not make me want to see it, especially if I knew it would cost me anywhere from $101.25 for the Orchestra or Mezzanine to $76.25 for the front balcony or $36.25 for the Rear Balcony (if you have a fear of heights and no binoculars avoid that choice). The .25 cent charge is part of the $1.25 Theatre Restoration Fee included in the price of almost all Broadway tickets sold nowadays.

That may not answer your question but those are some random thoughts about the steamroller called Spamalot

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2005, 10:59:48 AM »

Oh, elmore, it's the Alfred Drake 1952 Kismet for me! I also have the Judy Kaye one, the Same Ramey one, and the movie one...but the original is still my fav.   I, like you, am a fan of Babes In Arms as well.  

MBarnum

« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2005, 11:09:23 AM »

Thanks Ben, I enjoyed your thoughts on SPAMALOT. I am not a big fan of Monty Python, however I have not seen a lot of MP's stuff.

I think what I liked best, of what I saw last night, were the costumes in those plays/musicals that were 1950s era...they did an excellent job on them....and those are the plays I think, at least visually, I would enjoy...not knowing anything else about the productions.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2005, 11:11:00 AM »

You mean Celine Dion?

Wonder whatever happened to her?

:D

I heard she's doing some vanity show in Vegas. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up