Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PORTLAND, HERE I COME!  (Read 26211 times)

MBarnum

Re:PORTLAND, HERE I COME!
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2005, 01:06:28 PM »

It really would be preventative illness if you did not go to work and instead came to BK's reading tomorrow, DR Ann...because you would be getting quite a slapping from BK if you don't appear! LOL!

With that pointed out...

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]  :D  :D  :D   :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D   :D  :D  :D  :D [/move]

MBarnum

« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2005, 01:07:43 PM »

I wonder if BK has landed yet?

I hope he will be pleased with the absolutely wonderful sunny weather we are having today!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2005, 01:10:32 PM »

Here's a question for all to ponder:

Should "Summer Movies," the kind that aim at being a blockbuster and raking in the moolah while school is out, be considered a genre unto themselves, separate from films distributed through the rest of the year that may actually be aiming at some goal that could be called artistic?

Just asking.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2005, 01:15:38 PM »

Like DRCharlesPogue, I, too, like Turner and the eighteenth century French Chardin for his realism, Boucher and Fragonard for their sugary eroticism, and Watteau for his restraint.  I admire Picasso, like Stravinsky, for his constant ability to rethink himself.

Of course, since I'm working on DARLING OF THE DAY, my current favorite artist is one Priam Farll who sells better than Utrillo or El Greco or Murillo.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2005, 01:17:48 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
~~~~~~~~FEELIN' PUNY VIBES FOR DR ANN!!!! GET SICK!!!!~~~~~~~~~

[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2005, 01:28:07 PM »

Well, this is it!  I'm leaving Olympia and heading south for Portland!  Unless there's horrendous traffic, I should get there (hopefully) between 3:30 and 4:00 p.m.  See you all NW HHWers real soon!!  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2005, 01:41:40 PM »

I don't think summer movies are mutually exclusive of art. There have been quite a few summer blockbusters which indeed were also technically wonderful and even won awards during award season.

And that doesn't mean that movies released at holiday time are only for artistic and cultural consideration.

It IS a business, and movies released to general audiences are ALL trying to make money.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2005, 01:42:00 PM »

DR Ann - Well...

Go into your shower with your clothes on. Turn on the shower.  Get sopping wet.  Go outside. Run around.  Get chills.  Go back inside.

Repeat.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2005, 01:44:50 PM »

DR Ann - Well...

Go into your shower with your clothes on. Turn on the shower.  Get sopping wet.  Go outside. Run around.  Get chills.  Go back inside.

Repeat.

;D

YES, DR ANN, LISTEN TO DR KEVORKIAN!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2005, 01:45:06 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Back from the auto parts store - I needed some brake fluid.  And while I was out, I stopped for lunch too at the Greek place I like up here, Knossos - which is the fast-food sister to the place next door, Amphora.  And in keeping with today's word of the day, I had...

FALAFEL

...for lunch.  I got a sandwich with a side salad - a very generous side salad.  Very healthy and dietetic.

Then, of course, I headed next door to the Amphora Bakery for a Chocolate-Dipped Almond Shortbread cookie and a slice of Baklava.  The cookie was quite good.  The Baklava will be good.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2005, 01:46:17 PM »

YES, DR ANN, LISTEN TO DR KEVORKIAN!!

Well, I told you that to alert the authorities earlier this week...  And I did live in Seattle for a time when I was but a wee not-so-twig of a lad.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2005, 01:48:58 PM »

I wonder if BK has landed yet?

I hope he will be pleased with the absolutely wonderful sunny weather we are having today!

Is no one meeting him?  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2005, 01:49:03 PM »

Catching up from yesterday....

DR MBarnum - Glad to know you finally made it to Taylor's recital, and that you didn't miss her performance.  Great pic too!
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2005, 01:51:16 PM »

George has struck a bugaboo of mine.  There should be no such word as "preventative".  The root word is not "preventation", it is "prevention", therefore the word should be: "preventive".  And, yes, "preventative" is in the dictionary, because its incorrect usage has entered the vernacular.  That doesn't make it a legitimate word.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2005, 01:51:22 PM »

DR DearReaderLaura - Great pics of the church.  And also glad to know you made it through your own traffic incident unscathed.

*I'm actually "surprised" - and VERY thankful - that I've never experienced a tire blowing out on my car - especially with all the driving I've done over the years... over some very bad roads at times.  Yes, I've had an alternator or two die on me, but at least those are gradual "declines" which gave me enough time and "warning" to pull off to the side of the road.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2005, 01:52:23 PM »

Is no one meeting him?  

Maybe Guy Haines is.  Isn't there some sort of tennis thing going up on there too this weekend?

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2005, 01:58:29 PM »

DR Rodzinksi - As DR Pogue mentioned, the original play of Noises Off is quite a different animal on the stage.  Even less than stellar productions of it can still manage to make me laugh out loud at times.

It's also quite an amazing read.  I got the script after seeing it, and I'm glad I did.  Once you get into the dual onstage and backstage scenes, the script format goes into columns.  Backstage dialog, Onstage dialog, Backstage stage directions, Onstage stage directions.  And I have to give Michael Frayn major props for all of the physical schtick that is described in the script.  I was amazed so much of it was dictated in the text.  I have a feeling that if I had read the script before seeing it, that I would have developed a headache.  But reading it after the fact, it became of a sort "How'd they do that" discovery.  I'm sure if you head down to Drama Bookshop they'd have a copy on the shelves.  Maybe even Barnes & Noble - maybe DR elmore can help you out there.

OH!  And depending on the budget and the size of the theatre, it's also a wonderful treat watching the whole set turn around during the intermissions.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 01:59:00 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2005, 02:00:03 PM »

Dialog vs. Dialogue

Monolog vs. Monologue

Theater vs. Theatre

Any thoughts?

...Or not.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2005, 02:01:27 PM »

....And, just in case, a sort of post-disclaimer....  I can't seem to recall reading right now if the stage directions in the script are indeed credited to Michael Frayn, or to the original director.

Just covering my bases.
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2005, 02:02:55 PM »

Always "theatre" for me.   And dialogue and monologue are my preferences.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2005, 02:09:56 PM »

And to continue this frenzy while the Pacific Northwest contingent of HHW is gathering...

There was an an interesting article in yesterday's Washington Post about "Javanomics 101" referring to just how much a student's daily Starbucks habit is contributing to their post-graduation debt.  For some people, it could average up $9,000 over their educational career with most of them paying for their "comfort latte" with money from their school loans.  Which could end up being a nice chunk of their total debt.

Of course, it also made me think of one's post-academic career Starbucks consumption.

Javanomics 101

And here's the link to the "Stop Buying Expensive Coffee and Save Calculator"

Money In A Cardboard Cup
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 02:15:25 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2005, 02:12:41 PM »

Dialog vs. Dialogue

Monolog vs. Monologue

Theater vs. Theatre

Any thoughts?

...Or not.
To settle the first two, consider:

Pog vs. Pogue.

Or is there a pronunciation difference here?

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2005, 02:14:19 PM »

Hmmm...

There are some other interesting "calculators" on that site.

http://www.hughchou.org/calc/
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2005, 02:17:49 PM »

And to continue this frenzy while the Pacific Northwest contingent of HHW is gathering...

There was an an interesting article in yesterday's Washington Post about "Javanomics 101" referring to just how much a student's daily Starbucks habit is contributing to their post-graduation debt.  For some people, it could average up $9,000 over their educational career with most of them paying for their "comfort latte" with money from their school loans.  Which could end up being a nice chunk of their total debt.

Of course, it also made me think of one's post-academic career Starbucks consumption.

Javanomics 101

And here's the link to the "Stop Buying Expensive Coffee and Save Calculator"

Money In A Cardboard Cup
Things were so much easier when I was in school.  Coffee was not some high-priced beverage, intricate and statused.

Of course, neither could you earn a living pouring said beverage.  Times have changed.

:-\

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2005, 02:21:57 PM »

Hmmm...

There are some other interesting "calculators" on that site.

http://www.hughchou.org/calc/
Boys and their toys!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2005, 02:22:45 PM »

As an American, I find I prefer the American spellings   over British ones.

I prefer Center vs. Centre and Theater vs. Theatre.

But I perfer Dialogue vs. dialog, etc.

Other than that, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Anglophile.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 02:28:53 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2005, 02:31:23 PM »

Things were so much easier when I was in school.  Coffee was not some high-priced beverage, intricate and statused.

Of course, neither could you earn a living pouring said beverage.  Times have changed.

:-\

...And in related news...  I found out the managers here in the DC area who manage some of the Domino's Pizza locations, make an average of $10,000 a month!  Yes, they work six - or seven - days a week, for 10-12 hours a day, but still...  That's a lot of pepperoni!

Hmmm... I guess if New York City doesn't work out...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 02:31:57 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2005, 02:37:43 PM »

...And in related news...  I found out the managers here in the DC area who manage some of the Domino's Pizza locations, make an average of $10,000 a month!  Yes, they work six - or seven - days a week, for 10-12 hours a day, but still...  That's a lot of pepperoni!

Hmmm... I guess if New York City doesn't work out...

Does that mean you'll be peddling your hash elsewhere?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2005, 02:46:50 PM »

Does that mean you'll be peddling your hash elsewhere?

SSshhhh.... icks-nay on the ash-hay...

:-X

:P
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2005, 02:50:03 PM »

SSshhhh.... icks-nay on the ash-hay...

:-X

:P

Are you talking Alice B Toklas brownies and I'm talking corned beef?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up