Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GUY WHOSE FEET WERE TOO BIG FOR HIS BED  (Read 37539 times)

Ben

Re:THE GUY WHOSE FEET WERE TOO BIG FOR HIS BED
« Reply #180 on: December 21, 2007, 12:17:15 PM »

Michael B, we really enjoyed Huddle. Thanks for sending it to us.

Both men are hunky!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #181 on: December 21, 2007, 12:17:38 PM »

I'm just a big lazy galoot today.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: December 21, 2007, 12:18:33 PM »

Listening to Stefano di Battista's album, Parker's Mood.  It's a quartet album and this guy is the berries.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: December 21, 2007, 12:19:48 PM »

I could probably go see a matinee of Sweeney right now.  But I won't, because I will NOT endure the sorts of audiences and projection I know I'd be in for.  One week to the DGA screening - I can wait.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #184 on: December 21, 2007, 12:20:22 PM »

DR JoseSPiano likes New Orleans because of its nickname.  ;)

NoLa?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #185 on: December 21, 2007, 12:20:36 PM »

The Crescent City?
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #186 on: December 21, 2007, 12:20:53 PM »

this guy is the berries

I don't know it, but maybe if you hum a few bars...

singdaw

« Reply #187 on: December 21, 2007, 12:21:47 PM »

The Big Easy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #188 on: December 21, 2007, 12:24:19 PM »

The Big Easy.

And just why would I like that nick name?

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

brian

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: December 21, 2007, 12:27:45 PM »

In the car CD, a Naxos recording of two film scores by Virgil Thomson; "Coplandesque"  to this untrained ear. Tonight I'll watch the last two episodes of last seaon's WIRE, a show I think is even beter than the Sopranos... SWEENEY, I feared the worst re cineplex manners, but the college age students who occasionally squealed with delight and bounced in their seats were overall well behaved; I'm sure they knew the show 'cause they left singing the lyrics to "The Ballad of Sweeny Todd..I found the film extraordinary(and I've never liked a Burton or Depp film) and the young boy playing Toby was amazing. Twill be interesting to see how it does at the BO, and I'll be using my Borders Xmas gift to buy the Soundtrack;I already have the three other "soundtracks"(kidding)

singdaw

« Reply #190 on: December 21, 2007, 12:28:17 PM »

And just why would I like that nick name?

Oh, I dunno.

Just a wild guess.

;)

FJL

« Reply #191 on: December 21, 2007, 12:31:04 PM »

Wasn't Huddle one of Tevye's daughters?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #192 on: December 21, 2007, 12:31:27 PM »

Interesting reading, Jose.  I run colder than hot on Mr. Burton, so I have no idea what I'll think.  Even the films I've sort of liked like Ed Wood, overstay their welcome for me and become tiresome visually after a while.  I've heard that most of these morning shows were sparsely attended.

Well, it is a Friday, and people are still at work and/or school, so I'm guessing the morning shows of anything this morning were sparsely attended.  *Heck, I remember seeing a mid-day showing of "Dreamgirls" last December at The Ziegfeld, and there were only about 75 people in there... And when I walked out of the theatre, the line for the next showing was already out the doors.  In any case...

Yes, sometimes Tim Burton's style can just become too much to absorb - well, to keep absorbing, frame after frame after frame.  And at least "Sweeney Todd" is far(!) superior to "The Corpse Bride", although, the look of "The Corpse Bride" was not as dark (as in lighting levels) as "Sweeney Todd".
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #193 on: December 21, 2007, 12:41:47 PM »

Where would you go with an 11 and 9 year old department?:  So at this point we're considering:

1.  Victoria, BC
2.  Las Vegas
3.  New Orleans
4.  Southern Utah
5.  Cabo
Opinions?

A. At their age, the boys should find anywhere not home interesting, and "education" can be found anywhere.

B. The real issue is how do they burn off all their energy!

Do they swim/surf/sail? Then Cabo would be great - and Gabe could learn to scuba dive!

Then again Victoria does have the Bug Zoo:
This attraction is home to some of the world's coolest bugs, like hairy tarantulas, Peruvian blue centipedes, Malaysian jungle nymphs, walking sticks, millipedes, white-eyed assassin bugs and mantids. Join a tour and let the knowledgeable staff introduce you to the world of arachnids and insects. After the tour, buzz around the gift shop for edible insect munchies, bottled honey, toys, models and books.Admission: $6 for adults, $5 for seniors/students; $4 for children age 3-16; free for children 2 and under. Vancouver Island is a 90-minute ferry ride from Vancouver.

der Brucer

Note: with Gabe's IQ maybe you should try Vegas and teach him to card-count (just don't get caught!)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #194 on: December 21, 2007, 12:45:45 PM »

And for those fans of Classical Music and Baseball - or at least the recent doping scandal - here's a recent entry from the blog of the concert pianist, Jeremy Denk:

Newsflash
 ;)

*His more recent entry on the fugue in Beethoven's "Hammerklavier" sonata is also quite a good read too.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: December 21, 2007, 12:49:20 PM »

Almost one here - I guess I can go do a few errands.  I guess I could.  I guess I could get up off Ye Olde Butt Cheeks.  I guess I could leave my warm home and go out in the brisk afternoon air.  I guess I could, but will I?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #196 on: December 21, 2007, 12:51:44 PM »

I had a lovely time at the staff Christmas party. The janitor and I (who is actually my boss) enjoyed a box of See's candy.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #197 on: December 21, 2007, 12:52:16 PM »

IQ tests really only measure how well you can do I Q tests.

Which is a fair measure of how well you can be expected to perform in a traditional academic setting.

der Brucer

Intelligence bereft of the ability to "demonstrate" is of low value in today's word.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: December 21, 2007, 12:53:17 PM »

This would make for 24 players - the battery of percussion would be played by the EverReady Bunny, who isn't a real person.

How did you get only 24? You didn't count the percussion player(s) as 25 and 26 is how.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #199 on: December 21, 2007, 12:54:38 PM »

Wasn't Huddle one of Tevye's daughters?

Poor Huddle
Stepped in a puddle
Such a muddle
She needs a cuddle
Poor Huddle

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #200 on: December 21, 2007, 12:56:51 PM »

How did you get only 24? You didn't count the percussion player(s) as 25 and 26 is how.

He is replacing 25 and 26 with the Bunny, honey!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #201 on: December 21, 2007, 01:06:24 PM »

BORDERS REWARDS MEMBER OFFER
VALID 12/22/07 AND 12/23/07  
Saturday & Sunday
7 AM to 11 AM Only
Get Any Single-Disc Music CD
for $9.99
(Limit 3 per customer.)  

Of course I have to use $20 in gas and pay $8 in tolls to get to a Borders!

der Brucer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #202 on: December 21, 2007, 01:09:27 PM »

As I mentioned this morning, the local newspaper movie critic gave SWEENEY 2 stars out of 4.

The other critic in Charlotte (who writes for the freely distributed CREATIVE LOAFING) gave SWEENEY 3 1/2 stars out of 4. (I just picked up the paper on my outing earlier today.)

So there you are.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: December 21, 2007, 01:11:19 PM »

He is replacing 25 and 26 with the Bunny, honey!

der Brucer

Well, a bunny still makes it 25. Funny.

Now, Charlote and I expected a packed house but the largest theatre of the complex at 68th was only about half full for the 1 pm showing, which began late because the projectionist was occupied elsewhere and no one in that stupid complex was aware, when I went out to ask at 1:10 when the film planned on beginning, that there was any problem

I Suppose this is the Spoliler Section

As to the film, I really loved it: dark, creepy, a bit gruesome, and very bloody.  It reminded me a lot of 1960s Hammer Films. I didn't miss the ballad, but I did miss the chorus responding in numbers like "God That's Good" or in the Barber Competition.  I didn't notice any off-pitch singing, most likely because the vocals could be patched in and corrected, but I did miss "real" singing from Mrs Lovett.  I always liked Ms Bonham Carter and I think she does a lot of wonderful things in the film, but she has a very light, not unpleasant, voice with no "heft" behind it and there's a lot of singing.  I thought Depp was wonderful, and I thought Tobias was truly amazing and Burton's addition of him to one number very important in the dynamics of the story.

As to the design, very dark, and it turns md-19th Century London into a hellish pit of ash and pollution where it's always dreary and usually dark.  I don't feel that anything was given away at the beginning of the film, since it's only showing in flashback what was being narrated by Sweeney and Mrs Lovett; and in the original production the rape of Lucy was shown as well.  After the dreadful Doyle production, it's nice to see the narrative make sense again.  I saw that in the credits my friend Kevin Amos was a rehearsal pianist, and I think it's great that Jonathan and Paul Gemignani get such fantastic credit in the opening.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #204 on: December 21, 2007, 01:12:54 PM »

I began my afternoon with last night's SUPERNATURAL. It was a goofy sort of episode, playing a little more for laughs than usual (though the early death wasn't funny). And I got REALLY angry that the guys let that vampish woman rob them TWICE. Once, I could understand, but it was SO obvious she was doing it again, and they just stood there idiotically.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #205 on: December 21, 2007, 01:12:59 PM »

"It is not good, in my opinion, for our country to start becoming dependent on a constant flow of illegal immigrants that are usually less educated and come here only because they'll work cheaper than somebody else will."
-   GOP candidate Fred Thompson

So - let's restrict the education we offer our under-classes and we can generate our own cheap labor.

The west coast has agricultural jobs going begging - no takers at $12/hour.

der Brucer

Tomovoz

« Reply #206 on: December 21, 2007, 01:13:06 PM »

Which is a fair measure of how well you can be expected to perform in a traditional academic setting.

der Brucer

Intelligence bereft of the ability to "demonstrate" is of low value in today's word.

Specifically designed aptitiude tests are more indicative.   They are often mistaken for I Q tests.  High achievers in I Q tests are not necessarily suited to the rigours of academia.

In the Business world. IQ tests result have been used as a "screening" device.  The screening is to whittle down the large number of applicants. There is a realisation that the best suited may miss the cut but it is a convenience worth the risk! Of course there is no method that is really going to be 100% successful.  "Gut Feeling" is still used in interview situations. (no matter the formality of the interview process).

(Yes. I did research into the area as part of Post Grad Business Management).

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #207 on: December 21, 2007, 01:15:57 PM »

Thanks so much, DRs Elmore and Jose, for your thoughts which will once again allow me to look forward to seeing the movie.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #208 on: December 21, 2007, 01:16:20 PM »

Matt H:
For our Christmas movie this year, we watched MR. MAGOO'S CHRISTMAS CAROL. I think all of us were so full of food and drink that it video lulled us into sleep. I know I nodded off a couple of times, and I looked at everyone else whose heads were also bobbing up and down.

This is the reason I am absolutely against cartoon versions of classics for children.  I hated Mr Magoo & A Christmas Carol and disliked any version of A Christmas Carol for many years, even after Dickens became my favorite author.  I cringe whenever we begin watching any version of this.

Watch it we do occasionally, different versions, NOT Mr. Magoo’s (big shiver on my part).  The other night Keith turned on A CHRISTMAS CAROL with George C. Scott.  I cringed, as usual, and didn’t say anything.  We have seen this one before & I always forget how well done it is.  If only this had been my first introduction.  If only I had read it on my own first.  While I haven’t seen it in years, I recall enjoying Albert Finney in SCROOGE.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #209 on: December 21, 2007, 01:16:50 PM »

.. and I think it's great that Jonathan and Paul Gemignani get such fantastic credit in the opening.

Burton, himself, said the film was all about the music.

der Brucer
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up