Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GUY WHOSE FEET WERE TOO BIG FOR HIS BED  (Read 37408 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE GUY WHOSE FEET WERE TOO BIG FOR HIS BED
« Reply #210 on: December 21, 2007, 01:16:54 PM »

Next, I watched a couple of BROTHERS & SISTERS episodes. I like the ones with the Kevin-Chad relationship, so I've been concentrating on those.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #211 on: December 21, 2007, 01:20:11 PM »

Page Eight Barty Crouch Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #212 on: December 21, 2007, 01:22:45 PM »

Matt H:This is the reason I am absolutely against cartoon versions of classics for children.  I hated Mr Magoo & A Christmas Carol and disliked any version of A Christmas Carol for many years, even after Dickens became my favorite author.  I cringe whenever we begin watching any version of this.

Watch it we do occasionally, different versions, NOT Mr. Magoo’s (big shiver on my part).  The other night Keith turned on A CHRISTMAS CAROL with George C. Scott.  I cringed, as usual, and didn’t say anything.  We have seen this one before & I always forget how well done it is.  If only this had been my first introduction.  If only I had read it on my own first.  While I haven’t seen it in years, I recall enjoying Albert Finney in SCROOGE.

John's wife Ann feels similarly and refused to watch it last night. I think the music is the big disappointment with heavyweight composers coming up with really blah songs.

I only saw the George C. Scott version for the first time last year after dinner, and I had NO problem staying awake last year. It was really well done.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #213 on: December 21, 2007, 01:24:38 PM »

TOD: a cd of interesting Christmas songs compiled by DR Kerry.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #214 on: December 21, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »

In the Business world. IQ tests result have been used as a "screening" device.  

And surely a device sorely lacking. At Hughes I was surrounded by brilliant PHDs who could not properly present any cogent thoughts in writing and who had stopped learning the day they left the classroom - they showed no aptitude for solving new problems. I didn't give a damn what they were capable of, all I cared about was what they would produce. I did find I could get some value if I found a way to give them "ownership" in an effort and I did all the writing/presenting.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

« Reply #215 on: December 21, 2007, 01:27:17 PM »

Then I watched (and made myself finish) JACKASS 2.5.

I'm so out of the loop on these movies. Obviously, they are BIG favorites of high school and college guys and frat boys as these idiots do dangerous, sexually charged stunts that make no sense except that they're ridiculous for grown men to be doing.

Anyway, this DVD is an hour of footage that didn't make it to JACKASS TWO compiled into this DVD instead of being offered as an outtake reel on the JACKASS TWO DVD. (I noticed in the bonus features that there is yet another hour of footage that didn't make this movie version!)

Matt H.

« Reply #216 on: December 21, 2007, 01:30:21 PM »

I still have other bonus features on the disc to watch (this evening), but I wanted to end my afternoon with today's AS THE WORLD TURNS.

The episode was presented as a Victorian version of the show. Luke and Noah were both present with Noah being forced into a marriage of convenience even though he and Luke were in love, and Luke saying it was now time for them to grow up and do the right thing (even though they were both obviously pining for one another). Of course, this could have been the entire episode, but they were only given one small scene because all of the other characters on the show also had to be served.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 01:30:41 PM by Matt H. »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #217 on: December 21, 2007, 01:30:43 PM »

Matt H:This is the reason I am absolutely against cartoon versions of classics for children.  

I can not get my grandson to even look at a Robin Hood book, or watch the Flynn film,  because he already knows that Robin Hood is a fox.

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #218 on: December 21, 2007, 01:31:22 PM »

Once I finish with JACKASS this evening, I'll clear my brain with something edifying like the first HARRY POTTER movie.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #219 on: December 21, 2007, 01:33:02 PM »

Then I watched (and made myself finish) JACKASS 2.5.

Boy - you must be into pain in a big way :D

der Brucer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #220 on: December 21, 2007, 01:37:16 PM »

Dakota, this really is a lousy time of year, your father’s birthday and Christmas so soon after loosing him.  Vibes of comfort for you.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #221 on: December 21, 2007, 01:39:56 PM »

John's wife Ann feels similarly and refused to watch it last night. I think the music is the big disappointment with heavyweight composers coming up with really blah songs.

I only saw the George C. Scott version for the first time last year after dinner, and I had NO problem staying awake last year. It was really well done.

MUSIC!   ;D  The first problem is stupid Mr Magoo!!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #222 on: December 21, 2007, 01:43:19 PM »

While I haven’t seen it in years, I recall enjoying Albert Finney in SCROOGE.

And the fun score by Leslie Bricusse.

Who can resist "I Hate People" as a song for the season.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #223 on: December 21, 2007, 01:45:13 PM »

Once I finish with JACKASS this evening, I'll clear my brain with something edifying like the first HARRY POTTER movie.

Nothing like a return to reality :)

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #224 on: December 21, 2007, 02:00:23 PM »

Did my errands and I'm free as a gazelle in the middle of Times Square.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #225 on: December 21, 2007, 02:00:43 PM »

Actually, maybe I'll go out and get an LA Weekly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #226 on: December 21, 2007, 02:01:35 PM »

Listening to some jazz score for some new film that will never be released other then perhaps to DVD.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #227 on: December 21, 2007, 02:02:16 PM »

By the end of this very day, I may, in fact, be caught up on my CD listening - it's taken a while because I've played several albums several times.

Matt H.

« Reply #228 on: December 21, 2007, 02:02:54 PM »

Boy - you must be into pain in a big way :D

der Brucer

For your job, sometimes you have to endure things you wouldn't otherwise normally do. Never in a million years would I have selected this for leisure viewing. It's strictly a job.

Matt H.

« Reply #229 on: December 21, 2007, 02:06:16 PM »

Nothing like a return to reality :)

der Brucer

I can identify with the world of HARRY POTTER far more than the doofuses in the JACKASS films.

Matt H.

« Reply #230 on: December 21, 2007, 02:06:50 PM »

But now, I must begin writing about this "wonderful" film.

WBBL.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #231 on: December 21, 2007, 02:13:44 PM »

ASSOCIATED PRESS

POLICE: UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA FOOTBALL PLAYERS SEXUALLY ASSAULTED, BOUND WITH TAPE

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. —  Authorities have charged two women and a man with a weekend attack on three North Carolina football players, which police said was likely motivated by robbery but included the sexual assault of at least two players.

Prosecutors said the players and the accused went to the victims' apartment after meeting at a downtown bar.

Now, I don't mean to be judgmental, but how much drink does it take to invite these two home:

der Brucer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #232 on: December 21, 2007, 02:29:56 PM »

And surely a device sorely lacking. At Hughes I was surrounded by brilliant PHDs who could not properly present any cogent thoughts in writing and who had stopped learning the day they left the classroom - they showed no aptitude for solving new problems. I didn't give a damn what they were capable of, all I cared about was what they would produce. I did find I could get some value if I found a way to give them "ownership" in an effort and I did all the writing/presenting.

der Brucer

As I worked with many similar types both at Hughes and elsewhere, I will offer a second opinion here. Many brilliant PhDs, yes. Could not present any cogent thoughts in writing, sometimes. Stopped learning the day they left the classroom, no, but clearly learned best in a highly structured environment, such as a classroom, and often not particularly well in unstructured, ie "real life", situations. No aptitude for solving new problems, well, I'd have to agree here. Interested in ownership, sometimes. I was often the one editing their writing, and was even more often the manager who was trying to coax a highly intelligent person to look at things from a different angle, to bring to fruition a software design that I had in my head and knew could work, even though none of us had ever done it before.  To sum up, I find that many high achievers, although excellent students, only work well in highly-structured environments, where they have been "taught" how to do everything, and are very often unable to think things through on their own or in new ways, ie create new designs. A very sad commentary on education and on the values we emphasize.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #233 on: December 21, 2007, 02:34:41 PM »

Laura, at least you HAD a Christmas party. My employer (me) was too cheap to spring for anything at all.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #234 on: December 21, 2007, 02:41:11 PM »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #235 on: December 21, 2007, 02:48:00 PM »

Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #236 on: December 21, 2007, 02:50:01 PM »

SWEENEY SPOILERS

And back to "Sweeney Todd" for a bit...

Yes.  There is lots of blood.  LOTS!  Although, I didn't it find it gross or gratuitous.  Just plentiful.  Flowing, gushing and squirting all over the place.  *I shudder to think how the movie treatment of the killings will have on future productions of the stage show.  Especially in regards to how the barber chair is set up when it comes to the disposing of the bodies.

The blood is very very fake looking. The theater burst into laughter every time someone was killed. It detracted from the story for me. Other than that I liked it.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #237 on: December 21, 2007, 02:56:36 PM »

However, I was able to take care of some important business this morning, relatively quickly, and then went to an afternoon screening of SWEENEY TODD, at Jose's old Shirlington stomping ground. There were only a handful of folks in the audience, which surprised me, all well-behaved.

SPOILER!!!

I liked the film in many ways, but first the negative. Re the blood, I found it too plentiful. (1) Most of us know the story. (2) Even if we don't, it's pretty obvious what's happening, and it does not need to happen so graphically. That said, VIXMOM, I don't think it's any worse than much of what the Vixter must already see. I have a simple technique I've used to years: I simply don't look.

I loved the dark, atmospheric quality of the film, and loved the muted colors. So often when I say I loved the color, in any context, people assume I'm referring to bright, shouting-at-you colors. No. I love dark, murky, muddy colors, and this had lots of that, which I think was very appropriate for both the setting and the subject matter.

Opening scenes are important and these grabbed me and pulled me in. I thought the rape was handled very well. You knew what was happening, but there was no need to watch it in any detail. I agree that Toby was wonderful, really impressive. I also liked very much the actor who played Antony. I wasn't sure how I'd like either Johnny Depp or Helena Bonham Carter, both of whom I've liked in other films. I was OK with both of them. I agree with Jose that there were some brilliant moments.

One more negative: the make-up. To my mind, make-up shouldn't be obvious, shouldn't call your attention to it. But this certainly did. Instead of an aging, weathered character, I saw Johnny Depp made up to appear aged and weathered.  For me, it was a real distraction.

As one person said as he was leaving the theatre, "Not a Christmas movie." No. But I am, after all, someone who watches Dame Edna a lot around the holidays, and I enjoyed it.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #238 on: December 21, 2007, 02:58:13 PM »

And, then, I treated myself to a German Chocolate cupcake. Yum.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #239 on: December 21, 2007, 02:58:20 PM »

I have a request from All DR's who will be seeing Sweeney Todd I would be most interested in your views on bringing the 14 year old Vixter to see it.  

She is very anxious to go 1. Because she loves Johnny Depp and 2 because it is a Sondheim musical and she loves Into the Woods

I have explained that Sweeny Todd is very different from Into The Woods.
I have explained that it is rated R annd she is 3 years too young to see a R movie

She has explained that peopel who rate movies don't understand about musicals and 14 years old who like theatre

I was actually suprised about the R rating myself, I expected it to be a PG13 show

SO... to make a long question short

(Too Late)

Should I bring my darling daughter to Sweeny Todd and enrich her cultural knowledge

or

Should I NOT allow her to see it lest it warp her developing mind and I be labled "BAD MOTHER" ???

Thank you and good day!

I don't think that it will warp her developing mind nor will you be labeled a "BAD MOTHER" if she goes to see it. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up