Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHIPPING NEWS  (Read 13967 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: THE SHIPPING NEWS
« Reply #120 on: March 27, 2012, 05:43:58 PM »

Page five.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2012, 05:46:45 PM »

For absolutely no reason whatsoever, I decided to add a "customer image" to Amazon's Kindle Keyboard

If you click HERE, this is sorted by "Most recently added" and mine should be first. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

KevinH

« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2012, 05:50:08 PM »

KevinH

« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2012, 05:51:51 PM »

How are you feeling, DR TCB?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2012, 05:56:29 PM »

I am home from seeing the Hunger Games!  I am still trying to formulate what I thought of the movie.  I did like it a lot and would rate it somewhere between a 7.5/10 to a 9/10. Need to think about it more.

I will say that Jennifer Lawrence is very good as Katniss. The 2 1/2 hours just flew by. They were very true to the book (although it's been more than 1 1/2 since i read it).

Good.  I'll wait to see it instead of reading the book.

Tonight we are watching the US film of THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO.

Jane

« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2012, 05:57:46 PM »

For absolutely no reason whatsoever, I decided to add a "customer image" to Amazon's Kindle Keyboard

If you click HERE, this is sorted by "Most recently added" and mine should be first. :D

:)

Cillaliz

« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2012, 05:59:22 PM »

DR Cillaliz re: SMASH. IT has been renewed for season 2. And what i read sounds very interesting, especially if you like to see a show develops.

It just seems to be dragging for me. 

Jane

« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2012, 06:01:59 PM »

I'm glad I had to cancel my trip to Pittsburgh.  I don't want to miss the last of my precious time with Craig before he leaves.  At the moment our discussions center around which school he will go to.  It is nice the difficulty is between excellent schools.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2012, 06:05:54 PM »

DR TCB do you remember ever having symptoms that might have been a heart attack?  I suppose it would help to know how long ago this happened, if it did.

I have been reading up on that.  Apparently 25% of first heart attack in men, are what they call silent heart attacks.  So, I guess I am no alone.  I will say that the heart on the ultra sound is a lot worse looking than the adorable unborns you always see.
“One thing’s universal,

Jennifer

« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2012, 06:07:09 PM »

I am home from seeing the Hunger Games!  I am still trying to formulate what I thought of the movie.  I did like it a lot and would rate it somewhere between a 7.5/10 to a 9/10. Need to think about it more.

I will say that Jennifer Lawrence is very good as Katniss. The 2 1/2 hours just flew by. They were very true to the book (although it's been more than 1 1/2 since i read it).

Good.  I'll wait to see it instead of reading the book.

Tonight we are watching the US film of THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO.
I went back and modified my post. It should say it has been a ywar and a half since I read the book.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2012, 06:08:36 PM »

Did you log in on your cell phone? Or are you a "guest" on the cell phone?

I am signed on with the smart phone, but now I don't see anyway to log out on the phone.  The screen definitely looks like what you see as a Guest.
“One thing’s universal,

Jennifer

« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2012, 06:10:15 PM »

DR Jane I know you explained your reasons. But I would still read the book first vs seeing the movie. I don't even know if dystopia will be your style. But uncovering the plot for the first time in the book was so special.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2012, 06:10:19 PM »

I have the area at the top and bottom that says Page 1, 2, 3, 4,

But there are no boxes for Reply, etc.

Then there is the Jump to: box, but nothing else.

You need to scroll the screen to the tight to see the boxes.

der Brucer

Note - It works better in landscape (just trun your phone)

I tried that.  No luck.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2012, 06:12:42 PM »

Verry cool, George.
“One thing’s universal,

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2012, 06:21:58 PM »

Just finished watching "Sweet Charity" all the way through for the first time in ages. The movie is too realistic and as a result, too sad. The opening where she's pushed in the water is horrifying, not funny. And Shirley just isn't good enough as a dancer.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2012, 06:23:15 PM »

If there are any typos left in this book you'll have to take it up with the THREE people who proofed it - then you can take it up with me, because I also proofed it three times.  However, if there are any left, we're in very good company with John Steinbeck, James Agee, J.K. Rowling (the queen of typos and mistakes - her proofers ought to be run out of town on a rail), etc.

I did notice on the Kindle version some weird formatting things.

George

« Reply #136 on: March 27, 2012, 06:24:41 PM »

If there are any typos left in this book you'll have to take it up with the THREE people who proofed it - then you can take it up with me, because I also proofed it three times.  However, if there are any left, we're in very good company with John Steinbeck, James Agee, J.K. Rowling (the queen of typos and mistakes - her proofers ought to be run out of town on a rail), etc.

I didn't find any spelling mistakes, just a few rogue spaces ("So ndheim") and hyphens ("Sond-heim") and paragraph breaks. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

KevinH

« Reply #137 on: March 27, 2012, 06:26:19 PM »

Looking forward to reading it, BK!

George

« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2012, 06:28:47 PM »

Well, I'm off to a special TAO board meeting.  We lost our performing space and need to figure out what to do.  Fortunately, we have some time (we weren't supposed to start rehearsals for "Titus Andronicus" until May), but probably just about anything we find will cost more than what we had.  Wish us luck!!

Be back later.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #139 on: March 27, 2012, 06:31:01 PM »

Jennifer, no favorites yet for DANCING WITH THE STARS?
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: March 27, 2012, 06:37:34 PM »

I didn't find any spelling mistakes, just a few rogue spaces ("So ndheim") and hyphens ("Sond-heim") and paragraph breaks. :)

Those are ALL Kindle problems - there are no problems like that in the printed book - anywhere.  The reason it does that has to do with where lines are breaking in the eBook - if, for example, in the printed book an end of sentence reads Stephen Sond- and the "heim" is hyphenated to the following line, then the eBook doesn't correct that should the line fall in the middle of a sentence rather than the end - it's weird but I suppose they'd have to go through by hand to correct every one of those things and there are probably a lot - it's why I don't really do eBooks.  But rest assured, there are 0 formatting issues in the real book.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:40:01 PM by bk »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2012, 06:39:28 PM »

I finally understand everything about my Social Security Disability.  The check I already received was for January and February.  I should receive my March check deposited tomorrow, and on the fourth Wednesday of each month.

Bad news is that I will not qualify for Medicare for two years.  So for the next two years, my state retirement check will be small, becuase I will have to keep my state retirement insurance until January 2014
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2012, 06:40:06 PM »

How are you feeling, DR TCB?

I am okay, Kevin, thanks for asking.
“One thing’s universal,

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2012, 06:47:17 PM »

Well, I'm off to a special TAO board meeting.  We lost our performing space and need to figure out what to do.  Fortunately, we have some time (we weren't supposed to start rehearsals for "Titus Andronicus" until May), but probably just about anything we find will cost more than what we had.  Wish us luck!!

Be back later.
"Titus Andronicus"! I love it. I saw an outer space rock musical version of it about the time that "Star Wars" came out. I think even at 10 or 12, I knew it was cheesy when a character grabbed a microphone out of a rock before he started to sing. But, hey, it was a foodie musical with that pie featuring the queen's two sons. Yeah!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2012, 06:49:02 PM »

I've read the book, and the one error that really struck me is you referencing your Maguire Sisters take on "Another Hundred People", which was actually "Not Getting Married." (I flew through the book - I thought it was marvelous.

Jane

« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2012, 06:53:16 PM »

DR TCB do you remember ever having symptoms that might have been a heart attack?  I suppose it would help to know how long ago this happened, if it did.
I will say that the heart on the ultra sound is a lot worse looking than the adorable unborns you always see.

;D

Jane

« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2012, 06:55:37 PM »

I finally understand everything about my Social Security Disability.  The check I already received was for January and February.  I should receive my March check deposited tomorrow, and on the fourth Wednesday of each month.

Bad news is that I will not qualify for Medicare for two years.  So for the next two years, my state retirement check will be small, becuase I will have to keep my state retirement insurance until January 2014

:(  I hope your total income will be enough.

Jane

« Reply #147 on: March 27, 2012, 06:57:14 PM »

Just finished watching "Sweet Charity" all the way through for the first time in ages. The movie is too realistic and as a result, too sad. The opening where she's pushed in the water is horrifying, not funny. And Shirley just isn't good enough as a dancer.

Isn't it supposed to be sad?  I'm not a fan of the movie though I have nothing else to compare the story to.

Jane

« Reply #148 on: March 27, 2012, 06:58:42 PM »

Those are ALL Kindle problems - there are no problems like that in the printed book - anywhere.  - it's weird but I suppose they'd have to go through by hand to correct every one of those things and there are probably a lot - it's why I don't really do eBooks. 

One of the things I don't like about eBooks.

Jane

« Reply #149 on: March 27, 2012, 07:02:55 PM »

DR Jane I know you explained your reasons. But I would still read the book first vs seeing the movie. I don't even know if dystopia will be your style. But uncovering the plot for the first time in the book was so special.

I'll think more about reading it unless we actually go to the theater instead of waiting for the DVD.  Even waiting for the DVD it won't be that long before we see it.  I prefer more time between reading a book & seeing the movie.

I don't know if I like dystopia books.  I enjoys the movies.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up