Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BIG SLEEP  (Read 11513 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE BIG SLEEP
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »

Page Four Cha-Cha
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2011, 02:22:31 PM »

I have also been on a cha-cha kick (stop laughing), and am currently enjoying the rhythmic strains of Edmundo Ros doing a number of Hollywood and Broadway tunes you would never think could be converted to cha-chas.  :)  There's also a fantastic Tommy Dorsey Orchestra cha-cha album from 1958 I have been loving.
I love my cha-cha version of "O Holy Night." I'm sure Adolphe Adam would have approved.

It's such an early 19th Century sound. NOT.

Richard Traubner, in his operetta book, claimed there was a rhumba in the first or second act finale of Offenbach's Barbe-Bleu, and even though it's false, this rumor has been perpetuated in several other books. The closest the 19th Century Parisians got to cha-cha and rhumba is the piano music of Louis Moreau Gottschalk.
Yes, but would you think that a Jewish composer such as Adam would have appreciated the fact that years after his death he melody was used as a Christmas carol?

He wrote "Minuit Chretiens" as a Christmas piece!
Minuit, chrétiens, c’est l’heure solennelle
Où l’Homme-Dieu descendit jusqu’à nous,
Pour effacer la tache originelle,
Et de son Père arrêter le courroux.
Le monde entier tressaille d’espérance,
À cette nuit qui lui donne un Sauveur.
Peuple, à genoux, attends ta délivrance
Noël! Noël! Voici le Rédempteur!

And there's no foundation to the Jewish rumor; he was buried as a Roman Catholic,
http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Adolphe_Adam

Now, Meyerbeer and Offenbach were Jewish composers. Meyerbeer died a rich Jew, and Offenbach, whose father was a cantor, converted to Catholicism to marry.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 03:05:23 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2011, 02:54:29 PM »

Back from various and sundried errands and whatnot, shipping, picking up the important envelope and a sandwich and onion rings - not feeling great right now.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2011, 03:06:12 PM »

George nice Cannibal writeup!

Thanks, Vixmom!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2011, 03:10:59 PM »

I've been watching the bonus disc to "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country" that I got from Netflix.  I watched the movie a couple of days ago.  I don't usually watch bonus discs (although, I do prefer to buy them...weird, huh? ;)).  Anyway, what I've watched so far has been quite informative and entertaining.  I'll certainly finish the rest of it. 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2011, 03:12:46 PM »

I now have to take a shower and go to my sister's house.  We're celebrating my niece's 27th birthday, even though her birthday's not until a week from tomorrow.  She and her mom (my sister) will be in Oregon visiting our cousin and his wife next weekend, so we're doing it all today.  I still have some errands to run before I go over there and I'm quite late in getting started, so I must be off.

Have a good day, all!

Jennifer

« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2011, 03:17:05 PM »

DR Jose, re: EAT ST. Maybe you should tell us what color shirt you are wearing. :)

Jennifer

« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2011, 03:21:14 PM »

The weather here actually got warmer than i thought ( i think it was around 58F today). So i went on a bike ride (yesterday was my first. I only went for 35 minutes each time.

John G.

« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2011, 03:55:06 PM »

I have also been on a cha-cha kick (stop laughing), and am currently enjoying the rhythmic strains of Edmundo Ros doing a number of Hollywood and Broadway tunes you would never think could be converted to cha-chas.  :)  There's also a fantastic Tommy Dorsey Orchestra cha-cha album from 1958 I have been loving.
I love my cha-cha version of "O Holy Night." I'm sure Adolphe Adam would have approved.

It's such an early 19th Century sound. NOT.

Richard Traubner, in his operetta book, claimed there was a rhumba in the first or second act finale of Offenbach's Barbe-Bleu, and even though it's false, this rumor has been perpetuated in several other books. The closest the 19th Century Parisians got to cha-cha and rhumba is the piano music of Louis Moreau Gottschalk.
Yes, but would you think that a Jewish composer such as Adam would have appreciated the fact that years after his death he melody was used as a Christmas carol?

He wrote "Minuit Chretiens" as a Christmas piece!
Minuit, chrétiens, c’est l’heure solennelle
Où l’Homme-Dieu descendit jusqu’à nous,
Pour effacer la tache originelle,
Et de son Père arrêter le courroux.
Le monde entier tressaille d’espérance,
À cette nuit qui lui donne un Sauveur.
Peuple, à genoux, attends ta délivrance

And there's no foundation to the Jewish rumor; he was buried as a Roman Catholic,
http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Adolphe_Adam

Now, Meyerbeer and Offenbach were Jewish composers. Meyerbeer died a rich Jew, and Offenbach, whose father was a cantor, converted to Catholicism to marry.
I stand (or sit) corrected, though the rumor persists in many books. Still, since he wrote dance music, he might have enjoyed hearing his most famous composition in a new way. Here's a rather poor video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJGMux9t_Vk
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2011, 03:55:37 PM »

The weather here actually got warmer than i thought ( i think it was around 58F today). So i went on a bike ride (yesterday was my first. I only went for 35 minutes each time.
It's 90 here today.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2011, 04:04:27 PM »

I'm headed out in a bit for some Mexican food and a watermelon margarita.
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2011, 04:05:06 PM »

Vibes you have no further troubles posting, Jane.

Thanks.  I think it ok now.

Jane

« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2011, 04:07:47 PM »

I got this video link from a Facebook friend.  There are three videos to the fantastic story of a Bernese Mountain Dog that was rescued by helicopter.  The second two videos require kleenix to watch. ;)

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110407/bc_rescued_puppy_110407/20110408/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

Jane

« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2011, 04:09:43 PM »

Because of the heavy sidewalk traffic, I had to slow my pace behind a person driving one of those motorized wheelchairs, got around him and nearly fell over a blind man swinging his cane in ll directions, got past him to be slowed down by an old coot with a cane tottering in all directions,

;D  Sorry for laughing.

Jane

« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2011, 04:11:31 PM »

:)

John G.

« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2011, 04:13:25 PM »

Because of the heavy sidewalk traffic, I had to slow my pace behind a person driving one of those motorized wheelchairs, got around him and nearly fell over a blind man swinging his cane in ll directions, got past him to be slowed down by an old coot with a cane tottering in all directions,

;D  Sorry for laughing.
Thank you, Jane. I, too, had an image of Larry, Moe and Curly working through the choreography of it all.
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2011, 04:16:24 PM »

:) John

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2011, 04:35:48 PM »

Hello, everyone.

I did a bit of spring cleaning today and am I beat! Of course, it's never just the actual cleaning--there's always lots of tossing and organizing to do, as well. I didn't finish by a long shot, but am very glad to be getting it done.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2011, 04:39:02 PM »

I just saw that ROPE OF SAND is available on Netflix's streaming video. Think I'll watch it. Netflix gave me lots of film noir recommendations, too. I do enjoy good film noir.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2011, 04:41:42 PM »

Jane, I do feel bad about your problems with the hotel, especially since it sounds like the problems were completely avoidable. You have a very legitimate gripe. I've had problems with Hilton's in the past--very poor customer service. I hope you get some sort of compensation.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2011, 04:42:48 PM »

I, too, enjoyed Larry's description of his errand run. Although "run" might not be the right word.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2011, 04:43:25 PM »

Glad to see DR JMK back here!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2011, 04:44:56 PM »

My brain is turning to mush. TTFN.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2011, 04:55:33 PM »

Good Evening!

Well... As I was getting ready to head out to enjoy the nice - but still somewhat cool - Spring day here in NYC, a friend called, "I have comps for Jerusalem at 2:00." So...

WOW!

I will admit that a good chunk of it went over my head. It's very British, and a lot of the themes reflect British society, politics and legends, as well as the significance of the hymn "Jerusalem" to the British people. However, there are enough "bits" to keep one entertained, interested and involved. -And frightened at times too.

Mark Rylance gives yet another amazing performance. I mean, just hand him the Tony now. He portrays a sort of anti-hero. It's not only a verbally demanding role, but it's also very physical. -He even wrote a very interesting program note about the legend of St. George and the Dragon.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2011, 04:57:46 PM »

And I'm about to head back out again to a wedding reception for my friends, Michael and Adam. They had their civil ceremony yesterday in Connecticut, a family lunch earlier today, and they're having a party for their friends tonight. Should be quite a nice party. Michael is a foodie-buddy of mine, and all the food being served tonight are from some of his favorite restaurants and bakeries. :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 05:09:14 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2011, 05:44:12 PM »

Jane, I do feel bad about your problems with the hotel, especially since it sounds like the problems were completely avoidable. You have a very legitimate gripe. I've had problems with Hilton's in the past--very poor customer service. I hope you get some sort of compensation.

I'm guessing you try to avoid Hilton Hotels now.  The dog convention making it nicer to be around the action.  They had a nice outside area where we ate dinner and chatted with other people and their dogs.  When it was chilly out we ate in the bar area just inside the patio.

Jane

« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2011, 05:45:46 PM »

We were surprised how many dogs, used to traveling, barked in their rooms and in the halls.  Most of the barking was in the early morning beginning at 5:00AM.

Jane

« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2011, 05:48:43 PM »

When I booked the reservations I asked what the difference was between the more expensive pool side rooms and a regular room.  I was concerned about noise by the pool.  Had the woman said pool side overlooked pretty flowers and trees while the regular rooms overlook the parking lot I would have splurged.  She also neglected to mention the pool was set back some from the rooms.

We saw gates on some of the patios so the dogs could be let off leash on the patios.:)

Jane

« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2011, 06:14:12 PM »

I seem to be the only one here.  I must leave now & do a bit more unpacking.  I procrastinated today and didn't get any laundry done.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2011, 06:18:53 PM »

We had a nightmare hotel stay in Milwaukee at a hotel with an indoor pool.  The staff refused to tell a bunch of hooligans who were partying literally all day (and well into the night) down there to keep the noise down.  We were not happy campers.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up