Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BEWITCHED, BOTHERED AND BEWILDERED  (Read 22917 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:BEWITCHED, BOTHERED AND BEWILDERED
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2004, 09:58:30 AM »

CD:  WARRIORS OF THE SILVER SCREEN, a two-disc set of music from swashbucklers & historical epics...El Cid, Spartacus, 300 Spartans, Prince Valiant, Conan, Thief of Baghdad, Vikings, etc.  plus the great RIDE OF THE COSSACKS  from Taras Bulba.

DVD:  THE ADVENTURES OF JIM BOWIE, 13 episodes on 2 DVDs from the original TV series with Scott Forbes.  Picked it up for $5.99 while looking for a DVD of 1776 the other day, which I'll be watching Independence Day...the restored directors' cut.  I also picked up a 15 -episode , two DVD set of SHOTGUN SLADE with Scott Brady for  $5.99.  I never watched the show originally but was intriqued when they described it as supposed to be Peter Gunn in the old West with a jazz score.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2004, 10:11:22 AM »

I'm dumb again
And numb again,
A rich, ready, ripe little plum again-
Bewitched, bothered and bewildered am I.

These lines were originally:

Dumb again, numb again,
Like Fanny Brice singing "Mon Homme" again,

(Source: "Rogers & Hart - Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered - a Dual Biography" by Samuel Marx and Jan Clayton  - Putnam 1976)

There is also a REPRISE:

Wise at last,
My eyes at last
Are cutting you down to your size at last-
Bewitched, bothered and bewildered no more.

Burned a lot,
But learned a lot,
And now you are broke, though you earned a lot-

Couldn't eat-
Was dyspeptic,
Life was so hard to bear;
Now my heart's antiseptic,
Since you moved out of there.
Romance -finis;
Your chance - finis;
Those ants that invaded my pants - finis-

(Source: "Thou Swell Thou Witty - The Life and Lyrics of Lorenz Hart" by Dorothy Hart, Harper & Row 1976)

[When I last made reference to this great book - on "another site" - the book's researcher, Michael Colby, posted a very nice comment reflecting on the effort involved in getting all the lyrics correct. Dorothy Hart thought so highly of his efforts that she not only thanked him in the "Acknowledgements" section, the page facing Richard Rodgers' dedication has the single line: "Again, for his research, I would like to thank Michael Colby".]

The Marx/Clayton book tells this tale about the Christmas night 1940 Opening  on Broadway:

Unlike its reception in Philadelphia, "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered" did arouse yells for encores.

"Suddenly, on opening night it happened," said Vivienne Segal. "They wanted more, more. I remembered a couplet Larry had written but thrown out because he didn't like it:

Dumb again, numb again,
Like Fanny Brice singing "Mon Homme" again,

"I sang it. Our director, Mr. Abbott asked me afterward, 'How on earth did you ever remember it?' I told him I was so damn mad Larry didn't write any encores for me, I had to remember something. The couplet stayed in, and Larry wrote more of them, including;

Vexed again, perplexed again,
Thank God I can be oversexed again.

But in all the critical acclaim, there was one blue note, and as is often the case, it gave so much pain that the hurt couldn't be erased by others. Brooks Atkinson, critic of the New York Times, wrote, "These are scbrous lyrics to one of Rodgers' most haunting tunes, 'Bewitched.' Although it is expertly done, can you draw sweet water from a foul well?"

No one ever wrote a worse criticism of Larry's lyrics. Gene Kelly saw him actually weeping over it. But thinking back on the years afterward, he wondered if Larry hadn't read into it a critique of his personal life.

Twelve years later, the same Brooks Atkinson reviewed the revival of Pal Joey. "No one is likely to be impervious to the liviliness and versatility of the score and the easy perfection of the lyrics." But his well-eaten word appeared much too late for Larry to know.

der Brucer (who would know little about all this stuff if DR Woody didn't have me gathering all sorts of source material for a show he wanted to write on the life and works of Dorothy Fields).
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2004, 10:18:42 AM »

DRJOSE - I voted to let David show it all!  

OH DRCP - Shotgun Slade has a score that is at odds with the action....but somehow it works!!!  Please let me know if the episode guest starring Miss Allison Hayes is included...in fact she had a couple...."The Laughing Widow" is one...and I forget the title of the other.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2004, 10:21:25 AM »

I lived in Indianapolis for five years, and traveled widely and broadly throughout the state.

My lasting impression: It's a "pull my finger" sort of place.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2004, 10:22:18 AM »

I'm not altogether sure anyone here is bewitched, bothered or bewildered.

You all seem pixilated to me.

Yes, that's right.

Pixilated.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2004, 10:23:27 AM »

Oh just found the SS listing - no Allison episodes....but it is neat that his gun can fire two different sizes of bullets.  I don't know why he would want to, but it does.

A fine series from Revue!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2004, 10:27:30 AM »

On Yesterday notes BK mentioned Barbie Benton. I always wondered what Ken's last name was.
Kithun.  You know, put the last name first, first name last, you get Kithun, Ken.

::) :P :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2004, 10:31:29 AM »

Yes, alas I also found no Allison in the SHOTGUN SLADE DVD set when I picked it up. I didn't buy the JIM BOWIE set so do give a review DR Charles Pogue...I do know that the lovely and talented Yvonne Lime is in one of the episodes on that set.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2004, 10:36:40 AM »

Since July 4th falls on Sunday this year, is Monday going to be a federal holiday where postal workers and others get the day off?
That certainly would explain why the Fourth of July Sale where I work will continue on to the Fifth.

(Which could lead us to a Lanford Wilson reference, but by my tally we don't need one at this point.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2004, 10:40:40 AM »

Good morning. I'm WAY behind, so a brief post.
CD - Carly Simon: Torch
I don't get to listen to Torch with you?  I'm "Hurt."

(I happen to love the arrangement to Carmichael's "I Get Along Without You Very Well," one of the few times I've heard a synthesizer used so hauntingly.)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2004, 10:41:24 AM »

Media Watch:

CD/Car: 1776 (Both Broadway recordings....I flip them around in honor of le quatrieme de Juillet.)
CD/Office: Ripley/Skinner DUETS
VCR: Empty
DVD: Empty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2004, 10:45:59 AM »

Check out Roger Ebert's very interesting, and favorable, review of "DeLovely":

http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/wkp-news-delovely02f.html

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2004, 10:46:14 AM »

I just bought a used boxed set of THE RETURN OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (5 DVDs in the box), and I got it for a ridiculously cheap price because the box itself is damaged (though the DVDs are in perfect condition). I do store DVD sets that come in boxes in their box, but I was wondering if any of you for storage sake toss the boxes and just store the DVDs separately?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  The "Disney in a Tin" series belong in their special boxes.  Collections such as the Chaplin films belong in the boxes.  All the Bond films belong together.  All the Alton Brown DVDs belong together.   ::)

But, when it came to a collection of Cary Grant films that der B and I found at a good, low price, there wasn't any reason to keep the box; the films are more easily found by our standard alpha shelving.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2004, 10:47:36 AM »

Well, you won't believe it - I can barely believe it myself - we've once again been put in a comprimising postition with play rights.  The author's agent, who told us three times yesterday not to worry that the rights were ours, has turned us over to the play service that licenses the show, now saying "I don't think there'll be any problem."  We've told her that that is NOT what she said yesterday and we've also talked to the play service (who are very nice).  The only problem?  There's another production opening two days before we close.  Small theater company.  But we're holding firm, hanging tough and need all the vibes we can get.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.  I am so tired of incompetence.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2004, 10:50:43 AM »

...I really liked THE MEN when I saw it many years ago.
That was the sequel to The Women, right?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2004, 10:53:01 AM »

DR George - Thank you for the "code" advice.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2004, 10:59:35 AM »

...der Brucer (who would know little about all this stuff if DR Woody didn't have me gathering all sorts of source material for a show he wanted to write on the life and works of Dorothy Fields).

My problem was, and is, I have no idea about how to go about writing a show.  Doing the research was fun, however.

Field's body of work and life, I still believe, would make for an interesting show.  Getting the rights, because of the large number of collaborators she had, would be a monster.

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2004, 11:06:03 AM »

BK that stinks.  Would it be possible for you to close 2 days early if you had to?

I also hate incompetence.

So basically they are saying that they want you to spend the time casting the show, yet they may still screw you next week. How nice! :(

Jennifer

« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2004, 11:09:47 AM »

I want to try that trick that DR George taught us!

Michael Riedel's column.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2004, 11:20:41 AM »

For those of you Washingtonians, our library just found out that Tim Eyman did NOT get enough signatures for Initiative 864, which would have cut property taxes by 25%!!!  This means that fire districts and libraries and other entities that rely on funding from property taxes will NOT loose 25% of their budgets!!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 11:20:56 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2004, 11:39:01 AM »

That certainly would explain why the Fourth of July Sale where I work will continue on to the Fifth.

(Which could lead us to a Lanford Wilson reference, but by my tally we don't need one at this point.)

I presume it would be folly to groan!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 11:57:56 AM by DERBRUCER »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2004, 11:52:59 AM »

I've only watched three episodes of Jim Bowie so far.  And have enjoyed them.  Very simple small tales in comparison to all the whiz-bang of today's TV, but very soothing.  I don't feel assaulted.  I like stuff that unfolds rather than leaps out at you.  Occasionally the scenes are linked by a voice-over narration.  They are also linked by the Ken Darby Singers always humming in the background which I rather enjoy.  And of course, there is that stirring theme song:  "Jim Bowie, Jim Bowie, he was bold, adventuring man..."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2004, 11:53:38 AM »

So... If I happen to walk by the video/DVD rental place in my neighborhood when I go out for my walk in a few minutes, should I rent "Last Tango In Paris"?

:o
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 11:57:23 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2004, 11:54:15 AM »

You type open bracket:  [ url= http:///type correct URL here](close bracket)Type whatever you want to show[/ url] but don't use any spaces within each of the brackets.

Like THIS.  Quote my message and you can see the correct way to do it. ;D

Or, if your lazy, like me, you click on the hyperlink icon and edit the result (just add the "=" and your link, put your text between the brackets.

der lazy Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2004, 11:59:37 AM »

DRJOSE - I voted to let David show it all!  

The alternative makes David look like a customer at a gay bath house (so I've been told).

DERBRUCER

« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2004, 12:03:32 PM »

Getting the rights, because of the large number of collaborators she had, would be a monster.

I'm sure BK is penning "Easy Rights Getting for Dummies" as we chat.

Jed

« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2004, 12:12:41 PM »

For those of you Washingtonians, our library just found out that Tim Eyman did NOT get enough signatures for Initiative 864, which would have cut property taxes by 25%!!!  This means that fire districts and libraries and other entities that rely on funding from property taxes will NOT loose 25% of their budgets!!

Finally, an Eyman initiative bites the dust!  Wonder what he'll have in store for us next year.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2004, 12:14:11 PM »

DRJOSE....Last Tango in Paris was made in that time period between young handsome Marlon and old fat Marlon.....midway between.  He looks great but the film is just okay.  His leading lady is not dynamic.

If the idea of the film interests you, yes rent.....if you are looking for Prime Marlon....go with SAYONARA!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2004, 12:18:44 PM »

Interesting Reidel column....and interesting DELOVEY review.  Thanks Jose and RLP.

And fie on the rights procurers.......I thought it was the goal of the playwright to have his work produced?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2004, 12:26:50 PM »

There is a show called STARTING OVER....a group of the most boring and narcissitic women in the world come to the "starting over house" to get their lives together.

Each one is always painfully conscious of the camera and their interactions and "accomplishments" and "confessionals" make The Real World look like Shakespeare.

To see some really bad television - not of course that we have to go looking for it - check out STARTING OVER...and episode or two will be enough.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up