Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: TICKLING MY FANCY  (Read 27134 times)

Ben

Re:TICKLING MY FANCY
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2004, 09:44:17 AM »

Looks like they will be moving some chairs in London.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/87213.html

Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio will check in to the Donmar Warehouse’s new production of Grand Hotel, a spokesperson for the show confirmed to Playbill On-Line.

Also, things will be a bit Cuckoo in Scotland

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/87209.html

In his early career film star Christian Slater was often compared to Jack Nicholson. Now comes news that he’s to inherit the older actor’s legendary 1975 movie role as R. P. McMurphy in a stage version of Ken Kesey’s One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest.

And that, my friends, takes us to Page 2.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 10:19:55 AM by Ben »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2004, 09:56:16 AM »

I just saw an ad from Borders for the CAROLINE OR CHANGE Cd... it shows the cover with Tonya's picture but identifies her as Anika Noni Rose!
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2004, 10:10:15 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, the storms that were supposed to be moving in here in about an hour seem to be moving in right now, so...  WOW!  The skies literally went from partly cloudy to dark gray in just a matter of minutes... And the cable is flickering now too - which means something is happening nearby...

OK!!  BIG LIGHTNING STRIKE....

LATERS!
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2004, 10:31:20 AM »

A question for today. What are some of the things you do out of sheer laziness?

I don't have much hair, but it still needs to get trimmed. Of the three people who cut my hair well over the past decades, the first one died, the second got on my nerves, and the third became a potter. There's a moonlighting hairdresser in my building. Kim's prices aren't great, and she gives a truly dreadful haircut. But all I have to do is phone and go down to her apartment, and I'm in and out in ten minutes. She's been cutting my hair for more than a year now.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2004, 10:32:08 AM »

Perhaps Plan "B" involves a play in the public domain?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2004, 10:32:13 AM »

Busy morning here in the City of Studio - but might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2004, 10:50:50 AM »

I just caught up on last night's late posts. DR Ann, good luck with the weights.

I recently found an excellent program, which I'm about to start on:

1. Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side. With a 5-lb. potato sack in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides, and hold them there as long as you can.

2. Try to reach a full minute, then relax. Each day, you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.

3. After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb. potato sacks. Then 50-lb. potato sacks, and eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb. potato sack in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute.

4. After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each of the sacks. But be careful.

LOL!! Thanks for the early morning laugh, Dan..great way to start the day. :)

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2004, 11:05:16 AM »

I have pulled many an all-nighter. Too many to count. Now, staying up all night is fun in the summer when all I have to do is watch Matlock and read my Harry Potter books. But it loses all its appeal when school is in and I have to stay up all night writing a research paper.

I do nothing out of sheer laziness.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2004, 11:11:43 AM »

DRJOSE you are supposed to email BK!!

LOL....I will try the potato sack exercise.  It sounds just like my kind of exertion.

Dress rehearsal - family night went well.  There were some laughs.  And in my BIG scene I received applause upon my egress, which is always nice.  

Excited to hear about Plan B.  I am agog!

Hmmmmmmmm....I guess I would agree with Ethan Mordden as my favorite theatre historian, although my favorite theatre BOOK is THE SEASON by William Goldman with PIECES AT EIGHT by Walter Kerr and ACT ONE by Moss Hart tied for second place.

My question...I know that stereo-optican slides were used to view 3-D photos for many years....but when, why, and how did the word STEREO get to be used to phonograph records with sound separation?

Thanks for the Percy Faith news, JMK - when I am rich again, I will get it.

I stay up all night when I am writing!  

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2004, 11:13:34 AM »

Wow BK sorry for all the drama.

But boy did you confuse me in the notes.  I thought the choice was between Blue Surge and Plan B.  Now you say it was between The Shape of Things and Plan B.

Talk about confusing.

I wonder if the problem is that they expect you to give them more time between you asking for the rights and starting the play.  Didn't DR Jason say something about that.

Well I am anxious to hear about Plan B.  And I think you are right to send the info to the authors.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2004, 11:19:11 AM »

This would tickle Panni's fancy:

Oh wait - it doesn't come in black.

Forget it!

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2004, 11:21:22 AM »

And to tickle MBarnum's fancy:

SPIDEY GOES BOLLYWOOD

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2004, 11:26:35 AM »

And to tickle the fancy of our screenwriters (erstwhile, current, and spiring) - new job opportunity:

Headline (but the link is broken)

BONE APPETIT!
Cannibal's story tasteful cinema?

Movie has working title: 'Your Heart in My Brain'

der Brucer (rumor has it Brad Pitt and Hugh Grant are being considered for co-star leads)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2004, 11:30:02 AM »

Working like mad on Plan B.  Plan B will be fun.  But, in an amusing stroke of timing, I got a call today asking if I was available for a reality TV show, that could conceivably start on Monday.  I sent them my resume and will be dropping off the Penn and Teller DVD to show them my episodes, but I also told them I was doing this show and couldn't get out of it.  That's a given - once committed, nothing can take me away from the commitment.  If they were to want me, I'd have to be out of there by seven at the latest.  They did tell me that I might have to go out of town for a day or two, but that would be fine, especially if it were now rather than closer to the date.  But, they might not even want me, or the money might not be good, or the timing might not work.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2004, 11:38:17 AM »

Good Afternoon!  -Post-thunderstorm...

Well, that was quite a storm that passed over and through just a few minutes ago.  We've had a few really good summer downpours already this summer, but this particular storm had quite a few lightning strikes, and some apartment-shaking thunder...

Oh... no here we go again.. another line of storms coming through...

Ah, well...

Laters.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2004, 11:39:03 AM »

When it rains, it pours.
Feast or famine.
Work begets work.

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2004, 11:55:07 AM »

Hey, I don't see any mention about last night's debuts of Big Brother and The Amazing Race.  Anybody watch them?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2004, 12:01:01 PM »

Lucille Ball sang "What Takes My Fancy" in WILDCAT!!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2004, 12:19:30 PM »

And in 70, Girls, 70, Mildred Natwick sang, "Lorraine, think about that, next time you're tickling the ivories!"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2004, 12:33:08 PM »

Hey, if anyone gets a chance to see a SNEAK preview of the Phantom of the Opera movie.....please give us the lowdown!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2004, 12:40:01 PM »

Tickled pink, Tickle Me Elmo.

And Elvis Presley appeared in a movie called TICKLE ME....featuring an appearance by Miss Allison Hayes!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2004, 12:53:07 PM »

Enoyed the first two Charlie Chan movies in the boxed set: CHARLIE CHAN IN THE SECRET SERVICE and THE CHINESE CAT. The former was much more a murder mystery than the latter, but both held my attention. I don't think as B-movies they're as good or as entertaining as the Universal/Sherlock Holmes movies (not all of those were true mysteries either), but I think those Holmes' movies are about the best B-movie mysteries ever made.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2004, 12:55:57 PM »

We're having a heat wave here (Irving Berlin/A THOUSANDS CHEER reference). Ghastly heat and humidity. We were supposed to have a thunderstorm, but the clouds came and went without rainfall in my neighborhood. Of course, at this time of year, another storm could blow in momentarily. The other night, my neighborhood got a few drops, barely a trickle of rain, while friends who live 15 minutes away had such a downpour that they lost power for some time.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 12:56:37 PM by Matt H. »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2004, 12:58:08 PM »

I also found Mark Steyn's Broadway Babies Say Goodnight a very thoughtful and interesting read.

My first great theatre history book was Daniel Blum's PICTORIAL HISTORY OF THE AMERICAN THEATRE.

Favourite theatre bio, GOODNIGHT SWEET PRINCE, about John Barrymore, written  by Gene Fowler.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2004, 01:19:28 PM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?  This is slower than the worst holiday weekend.  Questions, you dear, dear people.  I'm frantically trying to hire people and book people and to that end I'm happy to inform you that our very own dear reader Jose will be on his way to LA tomorrow to be involved in Plan B.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2004, 01:20:31 PM »

George, there were all nighters before we had children.  Keith worked at night and I worked during the day.  A few times we were partying with friends until late, then I went to work and Keith went to sleep.  I remember one night spent at the airport waiting for a plane to arrive.  We made it home just in time for me to leave for work.  After children, there were plenty of nights without sleep.

More recently, though I did nap on and off, we flew all night to Prague and didn’t go to bed until around 8:30 that night.  I really don’t know how many hours we had been up, but I didn’t fall asleep until 2:30 in the morning.  On our return flights I didn’t sleep at all, so I was awake at 1:00 in the morning after a couple hours of sleep, waiting until I had to get up at 3:00, and didn’t go to bed until about 9:00 pm our time.  Now add nine hours for the time difference.

Charles, I don’t know how you can go to the theater after the flight to London.  I would fall asleep during the performance.  

Writing about this makes me want to take a nap, but then I have been waking up by 4:00 every morning since our return.

Jane

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2004, 01:22:13 PM »

Plan B sounds more intriguing by the minute. :)

Jane

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2004, 01:24:45 PM »

Dan-in-Toronto I can’t think of an answer except I’m still at the computer because I’m too lazy to get some work done.  Not really-I’m too sleepy and should go take that nap.

Jennifer, I didn’t watch the shows.  

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2004, 01:27:18 PM »

...I'm happy to inform you that our very own dear reader Jose will be on his way to LA tomorrow to be involved in Plan B.

Aha!  There's music involved in Plan B!  The plot thickens.

You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2004, 01:31:07 PM »

I'm still reading DAZZLER right now, and I just finished the chapter dealing with the writing and opening of YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU.

[sigh] One wishes that Moss Hart's diaries weren't sealed away from public inspection until Kitty Carlisle dies. While reading this book, I have the feeling with every page I turn that I'm not getting all the story.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up