Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: PULLING YOUR WEIGHT  (Read 21883 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PULLING YOUR WEIGHT
« on: July 11, 2004, 12:21:13 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know what you have to do, you're pulling your weight or pulling your chicken or pulling your beef or pulling something or other, and now it is time to post, you dear, dear people out there in the dark.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 12:01:01 AM by bk »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:PULLING YOUR WEIGHT
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 12:30:34 AM »

BK, given your remark about actors who get a show, then don't show for a performance, are you taking any precautions against such an eventuality?  Like understudies?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 12:32:03 AM »

Yes, we'll have covers for both men and women, but I'm hoping our cast is professional enough to play their twenty performances.  Certainly I know Tammy and Alet well enough to know they'll never miss, and I don't think Susanne ever missed a performance of Forbidden Broadway or Hollywood.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 12:43:19 AM »

I look forward to the OZ release of "The Spy Who..". I have read most of Le Carré's novels. Some have made excellent TV series  - more successful than the movies.
"A Perfect Spy" was great TV. Quite liked the movie of "The Little Drummer Girl" and to some extent "The Russia House". I don't think I have seen "The Spy Who ... "since it was first out at the movies. Are there any other Le Carré fans out there?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 12:57:34 AM »

I look forward to the OZ release of "The Spy Who..". I have read most of Le Carré's novels. Some have made excellent TV series  - more successful than the movies.
"A Perfect Spy" was great TV. Quite liked the movie of "The Little Drummer Girl" and to some extent "The Russia House". I don't think I have seen "The Spy Who ... "since it was first out at the movies. Are there any other Le Carré fans out there?

I'm not (nothing against him, though), but my dad is.  He love Le Carré's books and has most of them, and a few of the made-for-TV movies.  Wasn't Patrick Stewart in some of them?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 01:16:49 AM »

Yesterday, Michael Shayne asked if anyone could post a picture of actress Marilyn Cooper.  Here it is (scanned from the "Unsung Sondheim" CD, produced by our very own BK):
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 01:20:54 AM »

Wow!  I didn't realize that the picture would be that large...and that's after I resized it to 50% of it's original scan size.  Here's a smaller scanned size:

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2004, 01:30:09 AM »

I said I'd be back --- and here I am. (I didn't say WHEN I'd be back!)

George

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2004, 01:45:06 AM »

Also yesterday, JRand asked "what are you TAKING to the Antiques Road Show?"

I have a collection of every piece of music written by Stephen Collins Foster that was put together in 1933, called the "Foster Hall Reproductions."  1000 sets were sent free to libraries around the U.S. and Britain and I got one of the sets at a library book sale...VERY cheaply (at least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it)!  I've found other copies for sale, but they all seemed to be missing at least one piece of music, were always stamped by the owning library and had some wear.  Mine is complete, was NOT stamped by the owning library and (to me, at least) seems to be in near mint condition!  I realize that the three things people look for in "antiques" are condition, condition, condition, and I'll add a fourth:  desirability.  I don't really know if this is anything that many people want, so if it's worth anything at all, it probably won't be too much.  I don't care.  It's historically important and it's just pretty darned cool.  :)

Also, my niece's other grandparents (meaning her dad's parents) collect A LOT of stuff and will more than likely let me take something to be appraised for them.  I don't think I have any records of musicals that are in good enough condition to bring (actually, I know I don't), so it'll have to be the Foster collection for me.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2004, 02:24:23 AM »

Very interesting DRGEORGE.  Ring Ring the Banjo....or is that someone else?

Chat tonight....auditions....I am also auditioning today for the part of Axel the neighbor in THE NERD.  I am hopeful and will be until Tuesday when the cast is announced.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2004, 06:08:12 AM »

Wow!  I didn't realize that the picture would be that large...and that's after I resized it to 50% of it's original scan size.  Here's a smaller scanned size:

Thank you

Does anyone know why when you scan photos from a magazine or cd insert you get the dots?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 06:09:48 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2004, 06:56:48 AM »

I hate the haggling when you buy or sell a house or car. Some folks get a thrill from the challenge; I despise it.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2004, 07:05:44 AM »

Yesterday, DR Charles Pogue wrote:

Actually, Woody, I've never worn a full beard...partly for the same reason I hate the one on the Starbuck at Pasadena Playhouse...I could never grow a good, thick strong one.  I have had, at various times, a mustache and a goatee or, probably more precisely, a Van Dyke.  Both of which do grew in fairly thick and nice.  I wore the beard as David Bliss in Hayfever, as DeGuiche in Cyrano, and as Manningham in Angel Street.

THIS makes for an interesting coincidence, since the only time I've ever been on stage was in a college production (Fresno State) of Hay Fever (Noel Coward), where I played David Bliss' son, Simon!  And I pissed the director off when I shaved off my beard, thinking that no young fellow of the period would have one.  (I kept my moustache, however, and we did dye my hair red to match the actors playing David and mother Judith.  Which, in turn, pissed my mother off.)

I've rarely been without my beard, in some form, and have never lacked my moustache as an adult.  While I've seen pictures of der Brucer sans beard (from his Navy days), I can't imagine him now without one, either.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2004, 07:16:51 AM »

Last night I saw the first professional production THE MUSIC MAN which I have ever seen!  I've seen it done by colleges and summer stock house, but until last evening I had never seen a pro pro.

The reason I saw this production was the fact that Jeff Goldblum was returning to his musical theater roots, not to mention his hometown for this show.

The thought of the gigantic Goldblum, who as an actor on film has more than his fair quota of tics, tackling the role of Harold Hill seemed to be one of those "What were they thinking?" propositions, yet, Mr. Goldblum was quite good.

Casting this had to have been a bitch and true to my immediate thoughts when I had heard that Goldblum was cast, yes, indeed, it was a Land of the Giants cast.  Ed Begley, Jr. (one of my faves from ST. ELSEWHERE) stands about an inch taller than me - we exchanged kinds words as he was on his way into the theater, both of us hoping for a ST. ELSEWHERE reunion special.

Mr. Begley was playing Mayor Shinn - far, far better than Victor Garber - with a touch of his father's spirit against the divine Ileanna Douglas as his wife.  Ms. Douglas was a revelation, to be sure; taking the role and running with it, yet always true to the script.

Jeff Goldblum's charming fiancee, Katherine Wreford,  posesses a lovely soprano voice, quite rangy, and shone through with true acting ability from the first moment she hit the stage to the final curtain call.  Her fine handling of "My White Knight" and the tenderness of "Will I Ever Tell You?" were major highlights of the production.  Very, very funny with her confrontation with Charlie, too.

As for Mr. Goldblum, he was not as miscast as Matthew Broderick had been, as well as being as far away from Robert Preston as one can be.  Thank goodness he borught quite a bit of originality to Hill, a con man, yes, but, one who thinks on his feet and on the fly.  It was delightful to watch his Hill develop his scheme and to grow as a character.  With only slight vocal problems, sustaining throughout "Marian the Librarian" did not detract too much, since his charisma shone through.  

All of the character development paid off in spades once "The Footbridge Scene" came about. . .the kiss which ends "Till There was You" was a kiss out of THE PRINCESS BRIDE, absolute perfection.

Presented by Pittsburgh's Civic Light Opera and directed by Richard Sabellico, the show's pacing was appropriately quick.

Goldblum has reined in his performance since the opening night review:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04190/343134.stm
There was no uncertainty in his Harold Hill last night.

Stage dooring afterwards, I present Jeff with his first copy ever of SCARLET STREET magazine, the "Unzips the Fly" issue, which he was very impressed with.  Katherine had not yet seen the contents of the "to be autographed" envelope, so she kindly asked me if they could leave it at the stage door TODAY for me to pick up.
You see, Miss Wreford and I hit it off nicely (as did Mr. G, and I) as we posed for pictures together and someone said, "It looks like you're Daisy and Violet," and, well, as if possessed, Katherine and I launched into a totally impromptu, totally appropriate rendition of "Like Everyone Else" on the sidewalk!  We then had a lengthy conversation about SIDE SHOW, favorite musicals and Jeff's compliments to me about my voice, which I must humbly say, did blend nicely with Ms. Wreford's. . .Katherine said that she was delighted to find a person in Pittsburgh who shared an affinity for SIDE SHOW.

The show will be playing through July 18th, and I might just take another gander at it, but, for now, I am reticent.  Oh, yes, I am reticent.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2004, 07:53:47 AM »

Where did you dine with Mr. Schmidt last night, Dear BK?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2004, 08:01:17 AM »

DRtd - what a great story!  ;D

I would never have thought of Goldblum as HH!  I love Ileana Douglas!  

It is Sunday Sweet Sunday (a R/H reference) - storms are predicted but it is very warm here right now.  And auditions are in a few hours.  Hopefully, I will be home for chat and some rest.  You all know how opening weekends are!  :P

I am watching THE GIRL MOST LIKELY with Miss Jane Powell on TCM.  All that money and all that music - I think it was the last film actually released by RKO....unless THE FIRST TRAVELING SALESLADY takes that "honor."  Because I remember an interview with Miss Carol Channing claiming that particular picture did the studio in.....   ::)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2004, 08:01:41 AM »

Any Robert Horton 110 In the Shade stories from last night, MRBK?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2004, 08:03:44 AM »

Can't be at chat tonight. SIX FEET UNDER back on at 9. Wasn't on last week, and, of course, we didn't have chat. Still, hope those who attend enjoy themselves.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2004, 08:10:51 AM »

Could I ask why someone wanted a picture of Marilyn Cooper?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2004, 08:21:33 AM »

Going to the Land of Port today with sister Sue and momma Carroll. We are taking photos of all the homes that mom lived in from 1929 to 1948...except the apartment she lived in when she first married...it is in a bad neighborhood now, she says.

We are also meeting up with moms siblings...2 brothers and one sister...and having lunch! Should be fun and it is a beautiful day!

Hope to be back for chat and to get things done around the house.

MBarnum

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2004, 08:24:39 AM »

JRand53, I am taping THE GIRL MOST LIKELY...missed it last time it was on and I am eager to see Keith Andes in one of his few musicals!

PS: the new Filmfax is out...with my Laurie (QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE) Mitchell interview! She will be quite thrilled that it is coming out on her birthday (which is Wednesday).

This issue also has part 1 of a 2 part John Saxon interview!!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2004, 08:52:20 AM »

Good morning. Back from my walk. It's already quite warm. That's it for the weather report from Studio City. Off to shower.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2004, 08:56:55 AM »

We dined at whatever the restaurant is in the Pasadena Sheraton - we had the restaurant to ourselves and it wasn't bad food.

TD - I must say, yours are the first positive comments I've read about Mr. Goldblum and this production of The Music Man.  In fact, I have read nothing but the worst kinds of comments - ranging from horrible to one of the worst ever.  

From what I gather, Mr. Horton was not well-loved by Mr. Schmidt and Mr. Jones or anyone in the company, really, although they thought he was okay in the part, but not great.  They much preferred Ray Danton in the tour that played LA.  

I don't haggle over car purchases since using a broker when I bought my last car.  Using a broker was recommended to me, and the guy and the experience was great.  I merely told him what I wanted, including the color and interior and extras and in two days he called me with the lowest price anyone could ever get.  I agreed to it, a day later the car was delivered to my home, I wrote a check and that was that.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2004, 09:01:23 AM »

Thank you

Does anyone know why when you scan photos from a magazine or cd insert you get the dots?

As an "I used to be a journalist," the "dots" (and think "Sunday in the Park..." as I'm relaying this...) were added to the original photo in a screening process which converted the image from a flat, even picture to one composed entirely of dots.  In print media, this process is called "halftone" -- and with it, the screened photo reproduces beautifully.  A non-screened photo would be too harsh...having too few contrasts...and could often have white blotches on them.  The dots allow for in-between shades to converge when the image is printed.  A very simple, and not great, explanation, but that's why there are dots on those photos.  

This URL can shed much more light on the process:

http://www.webletter.org/econtents/0108/0108halftones.html

So just think...on some wonderful Sunday of the past, Georges Seurat sat and dreamed up the idea of painting images comprised wholly of dots.  The idea is the same, of course, but the end purposes were entirely different.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 09:08:04 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2004, 09:05:15 AM »

Good Morning!

Wow!  Whatever I wanted to post about just totally slipped my mind...

Hmm...

Well, in any case, I need to get ready to head out today, so...

Hmm...

Well, if I remember after I get ready, and Tammy isn't outside yet....

Hmm...

Laters...

*OH, DR Michael Shayne - You get the dots because that's how printed images are composed.  You don't really see them at their original size, but if the image is enlarged - and the image of Marilyn Cooper certainly was - then you'll see the dots.  It's all about the DPI - Dots Per Square Inch.  If anything, it just goes to show how accurate today's scanners are.

Again.. Off to the races... well, at least the auditions...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2004, 09:27:48 AM »

Oh, I may have to buy the latest FILMFAX issue!  Wonder if they need any DVD reviews?  I know one magazine that doesn't.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2004, 09:28:19 AM »

Ray Danton as STARBUCK....hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Isn't he Mr Julie Adams?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 09:28:38 AM by JRand53 »

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2004, 09:45:17 AM »

So many Bruces!  Thanks, der Brucer, for posting the excerpts from Bruce Villanch's tour diary here on the Bruce Kimmel site.  He refers his fellow Hairspray performers of all having experience as cats or revolutionaries.  One of them played Eliza Doolittle in the national tour of My Fair Lady, ably supported by my dear wife's Lady Boxington.

In fact, we got together with Mrs. Eynesford-Hill for a day at the beach at Coney Island yesterday.  I'd never been to a New York City beach, and found it not bad at all.

In June, we had one bad dinner in Los Feliz - some Italian place that's been there a long time, and had a good Indian meal in the Dena of Pas.  Every time I passed a subway stop, I wondered how people use them...  There's often very little of interest in the immediate vicinity of these places.  I can't imagine what it's like to be in L.A. without a car.

The unmistakable smell of marijuana is now wafting in through my window.  These neighbors of ours!  The nerve of them...refusing to share.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

td

• td
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2004, 09:49:03 AM »

TD - I must say, yours are the first positive comments I've read about Mr. Goldblum and this production of The Music Man.  In fact, I have read nothing but the worst kinds of comments - ranging from horrible to one of the worst ever.  

Maybe I saw him on an "on" night, because he really wasn't as bad as I expected him to be, and there was virtually none of the nervous gestures which Mr. Rawson mentioned in the review I cited.  Richard Sabellico's direction does Goldblum great service as well.  It never becomes a post-modern approach to the material, but trusts the book, music and lyrics to speak for themselves.  As I said, he wasn't GREAT, but he did build a complete and total character, give me Jeff over Mr. Broderick any day.  Also, I do believe that having his fiancee playing opposite him (and she has quite a track record with 42ND STREET) keeps him more in line than any director could.

Oh, and this week, I finally got a dvd-r copy of WHO KILLED TEDDY BEAR from Ebay.  Yessssssssssssss! ! ! !
Honestly, why doesn't Stritch talk about this movie in AT LIBERTY?!?!?!?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2004, 09:52:37 AM »

In June, we had one bad dinner in Los Feliz - some Italian place that's been there a long time...

Palermo's?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up