Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FIRST REHEARSAL  (Read 18206 times)

Danise

Re:THE FIRST REHEARSAL
« Reply #120 on: July 14, 2004, 05:39:46 PM »

Thanks, SWW.  

I meant to say--about putting my make up on while on the bus.  You have to remember that I ride an express bus that is mainly working people.  I can't count the number of times other ladies who aren't even running late put their make up on.  Or the guys who shave, yes, shave with a  battery powered razor while on the bus.  

We all know one another pretty well so it always causes some good natured  ribbing about who had a  late night.  

My idea of “putting on make-up” consists of a little cover up and power for my nose.  Since I wear contacts, I rarely put any kind of eye make up on.  

Jane, you said I was very detailed about my dream.  I can honestly say that was nothing.  When I dream it is in full color, all sound effects and often a musical score (sometimes with words and music)  to it.  I thought everyone does that.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: July 14, 2004, 05:40:21 PM »

Who were/are The Talisman Quartet that performed on A Broadway Christmas?

When a label does the best of......(fill in the blank) do they have to pay the singers again even though it is previously released material.

And the orchestrator wasn't repaid either!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #122 on: July 14, 2004, 05:54:19 PM »

I think I did a naughty today.  I was asked if I was going stay in the hospital for a few days or going home right away so the people at work would know where to send some flowers.  I said I would much rather have them spend the money on a party or a toaster for the group so we could have toasted bagels or some such.  I love flowers but they seem such a waste!

Danise that was very sweet of you to think of everyone at work, however,
FLOWERS ARE NOT A WASTE.  

One day I was at the check out line at the market and discovered I didn’t have enough money to cover the bill.  I left the flowers and removed a food item I could do without.  To my surprise I received comments all around me on that-very positive comments.  That day I needed the flowers more than the food and I wasn’t going to go hungry.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #123 on: July 14, 2004, 05:55:50 PM »

Jane, that is so YOU!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2004, 05:57:42 PM »

Danise, it's very good to allow others to be as kind as you habitually are. When someone wants to do something nice for you, they will get the same pleasure out of it that you get in commission of your many kindnesses. Sometimes, graceful appreciation is the real gift...
PennyO

Jane

« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2004, 05:57:49 PM »

Danise, you raise an interesting question.  Does anyone else dream with such sound effects?  I know I don't, color yes, but not sound.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #126 on: July 14, 2004, 06:03:21 PM »

Jane - The school was Stephen S. Wise.

Now... A BOTTOMS STORY

I think I've lived too long. There's nothing about which I don't have a story. But the Bottoms one is good.
Years ago, in my other life, when I was living in LA as Sadie, Sadie, Married Lady, my husband and I went to a party at the home of the Canadian Consul - a lovely estate in Hancock Park, a tony section of LA.
It was an outdoor party held around the pool. In those days, the way the grounds were landscaped, there was no demarcation between the pool and the grassy area. You walked along and suddenly there was pool. (This has since been remedied, in part because of the incident I’m about to relate.) So the party was in full swing, crowded, noisy. My husband spotted someone from Canada whom he hadn’t seen for ages. Drink in hand, he waved and started over – and stepped right into the pool – the deep end. By instinct, he grabbed the only thing handy – the wine glass he was holding – shattering it into a bloody pulp as he sank. Everyone ran over as he surfaced. The nearest person to him was the late Al Waxman. When someone shouted, “Help him out, Al!”…Al replied, “But I have a new suit on.” (And Al knew both my husband and moi quite well. In fact, a drama that my husband produced had won Al the Canadian Emmy. Actors are an ungrateful lot.) So…who came to his rescue? One of the Bottoms boys! I’m afraid I don’t remember which one. He not only helped him out of the pool, but he went with him to a room in the house and waited with him for around 40 minutes while one of the maids loaned him HER track suit and dried his things. And he bandaged his hand. A very sweet man, Mr. Bottoms. I think his wife was a real estate agent, that’s all I recall. (My then very young Dear Daughter, BTW, brought tours of kids around to the room to see "Dad in ladies' clothes"....)
The End of my Bottoms story – except for the fact that the “incident” made the Globe and Mail (Canada’s national newspaper) making my husband sound like a drunken lout.  

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2004, 06:04:03 PM »

Hey, Jane: did you figure out a way to get Echo to eat her pills???
PennyO

Danise

« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2004, 06:05:39 PM »

Danise, it's very good to allow others to be as kind as you habitually are. When someone wants to do something nice for you, they will get the same pleasure out of it that you get in commission of your many kindnesses. Sometimes, graceful appreciation is the real gift...

I think you have a point there, Penny.  I just hate the thought of people spending their hard earned money on one when it could do so many good.

Humm, I think my Star Trek background is showing.  "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.  Or the One?"   ;D  See TV/Movies CAN have an effect on people!

Jane, no sound?  Do you have your volume turned up?   :D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2004, 06:08:15 PM »

Is The Korngold Quartet who played on the Classical Broadway (Charles Strouse String Quartet #1) a studio group or are they or were they an actual quartet that performed in public.
Never stop dreaming.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2004, 06:08:50 PM »

BTW - I do frequently dream with musical underscoring. And I hear voices, I think, when people talk to me; dogs barking; things like that. Sometimes, I hear my entrance music, and can't for the life of me remember what I'm supposed to be singing - I think that's a common actors' nightmare...
PennyO

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2004, 06:09:16 PM »

Wow, RLP, the clock is  a GREAT idea!  I think I could draw that and with no copyright problem.   Would you mind if I use it?  I still have my other ideas but I like to do a few and then ask people which design they like the best.  

With my compliments.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2004, 06:16:12 PM »

My neighbor just returned from Halifax, and she brought us two extremely fresh lobsters. We sometimes look after her dog, and she's always very appreciative.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 06:16:40 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jane

« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2004, 06:20:47 PM »

Hey, Jane: did you figure out a way to get Echo to eat her pills???

Yes.  Keith has reduced her pills to three in the morning and three at night-after meals.  One by one I shove them down her throat, all the while petting her and making a big fuss over her and telling her what a good girl she is.  In-between each pill I give her a chicken & rice, or lamb & rice stick Nutro Max treat.  She is very good about it now and enjoys the attention and the treats.

Danise

« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2004, 06:26:48 PM »

Thank you RLP and goodnight all!  

Err--BTW Jane, I use those little cans of Vienna Sausage to give B & B their pills.  Just put a pill in the sausage and down they go!  No fuss, no muss.  Pill?  What pill?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Emily

« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2004, 06:36:07 PM »

One of my sister's boyfriend's best friends (how's THAT for a convoluted relationship) is Acadian and everytime one or more of his family members come West to Montreal to see him they bring literaly dozens of pounds of live lobster with them.

The only problem?  He doesn't really like lobster, so he thanks them and then shovels them off to his friends (and their girlfriend's mooch-y sisters) to make a lobster boil...

How many times can you say that you've eaten THREE 1 3/4 pound lobsters in a sitting? :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2004, 06:37:06 PM »

Oh and in case you were wondering, they sell fresh fish for a living, so they have a large refrigerator trailer and lots of ice :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jane

« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2004, 06:50:54 PM »

I tried posting while Danise and Penny were still on but lost my satellite connection.  I hate when that happens in the middle of a post.  Unfortunately it happens far too often. >:(

Panni, Stephen S. Weiss, my aunt and uncle’s temple.

I for one am glad you have so many wonderful stories.

Penny I expected you would dream with sound.

Danise, my dreams don’t need sound.  They are emotional enough just as they are thank you.
The Vienna sausage trick doesn’t work anymore.  This is one smart dog we are dealing with.  Remember, she found my cell phone in the fields, on command.

Emily

« Reply #138 on: July 14, 2004, 06:58:26 PM »

Jane... you're dog understands "ECHO - FIND MUMMY'S CELL PHONE"!?!

wowzers :)

Jane

« Reply #139 on: July 14, 2004, 07:00:35 PM »

She understand "PICK UP".  All by herself she figured out what to pick up.  The phone was also back about 8 minutes from where we were at the time I gave her the command.

Jane

« Reply #140 on: July 14, 2004, 07:02:42 PM »

Emily, is Mummy Canadian like it is English?  That is what I called my mother when I was young.  Once in awhile my older son calls me that.  More often he address my cards that way. :)

Emily

« Reply #141 on: July 14, 2004, 07:09:20 PM »

I know I say "mummy" (or rather "mum")... but then again I can hardly be taken as a barometer of Canadian speech.

I mean... I also have been known to say "valise" instead of "suitcase", "chip" instead of "fries" (don't ask me where that one came from) and "RAD(like "cad")-iator" instead of "RAID-iator" for "radiator".

« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 07:12:16 PM by Emily »

td

• td
« Reply #142 on: July 14, 2004, 07:13:40 PM »

To me, the guy in td's photo doesn't look like any Bottoms I know.

But it doesn't mean he's not related.

The cheeks and chin aren't the same as Timothy's, IMO.

Oh, it's Tim alright - the one with the beard.
The other one is Diane Varsi.
Tim still has his baby fat.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

« Reply #143 on: July 14, 2004, 07:14:49 PM »

Emily, very charming. :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 07:15:13 PM by Jane »

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: July 14, 2004, 07:25:18 PM »

Emily and Jane; Mum and Mummy are the usual Australian terms. Not Mom here.

Chips is the usual here except in the McD and KFC world. Fish and chips.  Not Fish and fries.

(In Kiwi land that would be Fush and chups)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #145 on: July 14, 2004, 07:29:53 PM »

Tomovoz are you feeling better?

Michael

« Reply #146 on: July 14, 2004, 07:36:27 PM »

Oh, it's Tim alright - the one with the beard.
The other one is Diane Varsi.
Tim still has his baby fat.

What all the talk about Bottoms? Next we will be talking about Tops! As a matter of fact I am going to post a picture of my favorite top!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #147 on: July 14, 2004, 07:37:01 PM »

Here it is

Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #148 on: July 14, 2004, 07:38:47 PM »

Speaking of tops, I was just stung by a yellow jacket.  It was just a little sting and I put ice on it.  

We are going to watch a DVD now.

Goodnight.

Tomovoz

« Reply #149 on: July 14, 2004, 07:41:45 PM »

Just staying indoors thanks Jane. Much the same. Had my flu shot as usual this year so I don't think this will develop into anything really nasty. Hope it is only a 48 hour or so bug.

My favourite Bottoms film is "Love and Pain & The Whole Damn Thing". Maggie Smith is of course Tops.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up