Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CLEVER, THESE AMERICANS  (Read 28396 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:CLEVER, THESE AMERICANS
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2004, 11:06:46 AM »

Good morning. I don't know if understudies count, but when I was working at the Shaw Festival in Canada, the actor playing Col. Pickering in Pygmalion suddenly took ill. His understudy was a very young actor - mut have been in his early twenties. The Pickering- Higgins duo looked very strange indeed.

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2004, 11:07:00 AM »

Hey BK, I thought you said that you could just not do the last 2 days of the play.  So then you wouldn't be doing the show at the same time as the other people.  That isn't good enough?

Also are the two first play options definitely out?

Friday I thought that they (the people holding the rights) said that they would probably let you do it?

Personally if it won't cost you too much I would call their bluff.  Tell them that you were given permission.  And that you've already put work into this.  And unless they want to reimburse you for your time (the auditions ...) they should stop changing their mind!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 11:14:20 AM by Jennifer »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2004, 11:09:51 AM »

Has anyone in these parts seen The Notebook?  Was wondering if it was worth seeing.  I've heard it's a real weepie.
Saw it. It IS a weepie. Worth seeing for the performance of James Garner. But I wouldn't go out of my way to see it.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2004, 11:12:40 AM »

A marimba...
and maybe a celeste or a celestina (is there a difference?)

Wikipedia reports:

The celesta (pronounced se-lest-a or cheh-lest-a) is a keyboard musical instrument found in symphony orchestras. The keys on the celesta are connected to rods which strike metal bars similar to those found on the glockenspiel. It also usually has wooden resonators. The most famous uses of the celesta is in the Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy from Tchaikovsky's ballet, The Nutcracker and the title theme of the Harry Potter Movies.

FactMonster adds:

celesta , keyboard musical instrument patented in 1886 by Auguste Mustel of Paris. It consists of a set of steel bars fastened over wood resonators and struck by hammers operated from the keyboard. The compass is four octaves upward from middle C. Its tone is delicate and ethereal. Tchaikovsky, in his Nutcracker Suite, was one of the first composers to write for it.

Here is a celeste contribution by one of Panni's pals:

Bartok - Music For Strings Percussion And Celesta

Here is a choice version all alone in the world:

A full symphony 5½ Octave beauty:

And a smaller 3 Octave Tastenglockenspiel - which I suspect is your celestina

These instruments available from Schiedmayer in Stuggart

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2004, 11:13:17 AM »

They know all the permutations.  They know we're into it for money.  They know we're willing to cooperate by closing a week early - and they still said no.  Tammy will talk to her lawyer and then we'll make a decision.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2004, 11:13:30 AM »

Worst miscasting I ever saw:  Nicol Williamson doing a one-man show of John Barrymore at the Geffen Theatre.  I've railed about this show at length here before, so will keep my bitchin' to a minimum.  But I'm something of a Barrymore aficionado.  Two large portraits of him hang in my home; one a great photo of him in his Svengali make-up and costume developed from the original negative.  I've read every Bio on him and have an original program from his Hamlet at the Haymarket in London.

Not only did Williamson not make any attempt to look or sound like Barrymore, it was like he didn't really study his life that deeply.  He seemed to simply use a basic Barrymore framework to stick in a bunch of personal schtick he wanted to do onstage and just farted around on stage for close to two hours.  It was far more a portrait of him than Barrymore.  And a rather unflattering portrait at that.  Sloppy and undisciplined.  He stumbled over his lines continually.  It was probably the most masturbatory performance I've ever seen and showed stunning contempt for its subject, its audience and the theatre in general.  But what was laughable is a goodly portion of the audience gave him a standing ovation...it was like anyone British or with a reputation gets one these days, even if they're thumbing their nose at the audience.  And I said I wouldn't do too much bitchin'.  Ahhh, well...

It was such a relief to see Christopher Plummer's supreme Barrymore show to get the bad taste of this one out of my mouth.

Someone in Broadway - The Golden Age...Jay, help me out here...I think it was Sondheim...or was it Frank Langella?...talked about how the reason everything gets a standing ovation these days is that people have paid so much for their tickets that they have to justify to themselves that they were a part of something significant and memorable...very plausible theory, I think.

I too am a big Cornell Woolirch, aka George Hopely, aka William Irish, fan and have sizable collection though not as extensive as Bk's once was.  In the appendix of Francis Nevins Bio of Woolrich, "First You Dream, Then You Die."...he lists over a hundred and sixty film, radio, and TV adaptations of Woolrich's work...and I don't think he has listed the last few film adaptations.  

I myself have been trying to adapt, RENDEZVOUS IN BLACK for years...have a twenty-five page scene-for-scene treatment of it, but the rights situation is very complex and almost impenetrable.  

I MARRIED A DEAD MAN...from which No Man Of Her Own and later, Mrs. Winterbourne (made into an inexplicable comedy) were adapted...has one of the most gripping openings I've ever read.  Sometimes Woolrich's logic could be a bit dicey, but his prose style could cover up a multitude of sins and just carry you along with its visceral poetry.

Noel, I too am very happy with the choice of Edwards as Kerry's running mate.  I think I would have banged my head against the wall if he had picked that stale old news, Gephardt (as The New York Post emblazoned on its headline today...everyone should run out and get a copy of that issue, it'll be a political collector curio like "Dewey Wins").

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2004, 11:23:20 AM »

BK can you tell us what the icky business was about?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2004, 11:27:31 AM »

Yes DRCP....and of course John Barrymore co-starred with Miss Frances Farmer in WORLD PREMIERE.

And as I have said before....at one time I struck up a conversation with a lady who turned out to be the daughter of Paul Huber who was in HAMLET on Broadway in the 1920's with Mr. Barrymore.  She had her father's scrapbooks and they were very interesting!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2004, 11:30:09 AM »

It was Dear BK's good friend Stephen Sondheim who made those comments, Dear Reader Charles Pogue.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2004, 11:48:57 AM »

Up very early, and thanks to those who've already sent vibes and xylophones - keep 'em coming strongly.

Cornell Woolrich was, in fact, one of the most adapted authors in the history of films.  Also adapted from his work Waltz into Darkness were two films - No Man of Her Own with Barbara Stanwyck, and While I Was Sleeping (I think that's the one - the one with Sandra Bullock, or WAS it Mrs. Winterbourne, maybe I'm confusing them).  The Chase with Robert Cummings was from The Black Path of Fear, and, of course, Jacques Tourneur's The Leopard Man was from Black Alibi.  Two films have been made from his short story Nightmare, The Black Curtain was used for an Alfred Hitchcock Hour, and The Window with Bobby Driscoll was adapted from one of his short stories.  There are more.  One of my favorite writers.

I thught WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING was charming, MRS WINTERBOURNE with Ricki Lake was horrible.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2004, 11:49:26 AM »

No, the blechhy business isn't really for public consumption - just an unnecessary annoyance that had to be dealt with and was dealt with swiftly and easily and pointlessly.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2004, 11:50:33 AM »

Getting ready for dress rehearsal and press/family night.  Whew!  

Jane

« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2004, 12:12:48 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANDREA!!

Jason, I agree with your decision to slow down a few days and hope you get a call.

I’m rushing today, just noticed I wrote I thught, not thought.   :-[

Jane

« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2004, 12:26:07 PM »

JFK congratulations to Betsy and her new job.   I wish I could go to Portland and one of your concerts.

Bruce, I didn’t expect you back so soon.   I’m glad the morning went well.
GOOD VIBES on getting the rights problem solved to your satisfaction!!  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2004, 12:40:54 PM »

Happy Birthday D Italian R ANDREA!!!   ;D

It's Tuesday, not Monday.  It's Tuesday not Wednesday.  So here is your Allison Hayes Picture of the Week!

Here she is Sign of the Pagan directed by Mr Douglas Sirk!

JMK is NOW JFK!!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2004, 12:42:11 PM »

Rights are not looking good.  I just got off the phone with the boss of the sub-agent who told us we definitely had the rights, and he's doing the full weasel.  Lying, saying this woman never really said what she's already admitted to having said, both to Tammy and the stock and amateur people.  I'm disgusted and they're telling us the only way around it is for US to call this other theater group and to get them to agree to it.  I'm sure THAT will be happening, although we've put in a call.  What became clear to me in talking to this agent was that his "assertion" would be that this woman never said what WE'RE asserting - so it would just turn into "he said - she said" and you know what, who needs it.  Plan B might just be rearing its head this afternoon.  And with Plan B there will B no rights problems, that much I already know.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2004, 12:44:24 PM »

More Feh! casting:  Whoopie Goldberg in Forum.  I had actually been looking forward to seeing her try her hand at the role, but she had no feel for the material.  A big disappointment, especially in comparison to Nathan Lane.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2004, 12:49:01 PM »

BREAKING NEWS: It's John Edwards.  I'm very excited.
You're getting all excited over the host of the Sci-Fi Channel's Crossing Over show?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2004, 12:59:30 PM »

I didn't see her either, but I'd heard that Raquel Welch in Applause also wasn't quite the best actress-to-role match.

I think it was WOMAN OF THE YEAR that she replaced Bacall on, not APPLAUSE. But she may have done it elsewhere that I didn't know about.

I actually saw Raquel in WOMAN OF THE YEAR, and it wasn't awful. Not great, nope, and couldn't sing harmony on anything if it killed her, but she was an OK replacement. I'd really like to see WOMAN OF THE YEAR with a REAL actress/singer - Debbie Gravitte comes to mind. I'd be able to judge the material much better with someone with real talent.

Another really welcome and wonderful surprise was Gretchyn Wyler in CALL ME MADAM. She had a glorious voice, the comedy timing of a master, and showed more star quality than many much more vaunted stars.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2004, 01:05:45 PM »

bk's mentioning Nanette Fabray doing MOLLY BROWN reminded me that I saw Debbie Reynolds do a tour of it in the 1980s!!! Way too old, way too overweight for it, and it was painful to see. MOLLY BROWN is not one of my favorite shows anyway, but this was desperation time.

Matt H.

« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2004, 01:07:05 PM »

Pool weather stunningly hot and bright today. Not a cloud in the sky so I took the opportunity to swim a lot and sun only a little. One could easily get burned in the weather we have today.

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2004, 01:09:35 PM »

Is plan B something you wrote?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2004, 01:21:05 PM »

I think it was WOMAN OF THE YEAR that she replaced Bacall on, not APPLAUSE. But she may have done it elsewhere that I didn't know about.

OOPS!  My bad. ::) Actually, it was Woman of the Year that I was thinking of.  I can remember seeing a picture of Raquel and Marilyn Cooper singing "The Grass Is Always Greener."  I knew that it was a Lauren Bacall show, and WOTY just slipped my mind.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2004, 01:22:18 PM »

Not Plan B from Outer Space?  Oh, wait a minim...

Jane thanks for promoting me to our once and future President(s) (I can hope, can't I?).

We just got a new dishwasher installed.  I had been holding my breath all morning (no mean feat) because I have discovered, in doing various home improvement chores around these parts, that this home was designed by a sadist who made everything just a little unusually sized, so that it could not be easily replaced.  Sure 'nuff, once the guy pulled out the old dishwasher, we discovered a whole network of two-by-fours glued in back of it, which needed to be removed.  Plus the outlet wasn't grounded.  Oy, oy.  But now our gleaming new Kenmore Elite is in.  It is running and it can NOT be heard.  Amazing.  Our old Whirlpool used to cause the neighbors to call and request that we keep the racket down (small joke, but only kind of).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2004, 01:24:00 PM »

And may I just add, I love Sears?  You can buy a dishwasher there with 0% interest and not have to pay a dime until June 2005.  G-d bless America.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2004, 01:27:58 PM »

Did anyone see Liza Minnelli in Victor/Victoria??  Was she miscast?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2004, 01:28:49 PM »

...and WOTY just slipped my mind.

WOTY has slipped many of our minds....talk about an "adequate" show.  Certainly not one of Kander & Ebb's most stellar scores, though "Sometimes a Day Goes By" is stunning, as is the song they added for Miss Welch (who I did see, and was admirable at times), "Who Would Have Dreamed?"

But speaking of Miss Reynolds, I am sorry that I missed her stint in WOTY, especially the performances (!) during which she apparently was "confused," and ran about the stage like a ....confused actress in the middle of a musical comedy.

Jane

« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2004, 01:35:34 PM »

Jane thanks for promoting me to our once and future President(s) (I can hope, can't I?).

I’m really tired today and my brain feels like it’s in a fog.  So I’m reading this and wondering what the heck you are talking about.  I even went back to read what I wrote, of course not looking at your initials.  Then I’m thinking how my brain really isn’t working today when it dawned on me what I must have done.  I’m so relieved I figured it out without having to ask.  ;D ;D

Michael

« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2004, 02:04:48 PM »

Reading from work. I am able to see page 1, but page 2 & 3 are coming up blank.

Worst actors? Have to think about which ones I saw, but how about Gena Elfin who was announced for the recent revival of Nine and then never appeared in it despite saying that she needed more rehersal time? Or Robert Stack appearing in the original production of La Cage Aux Folles. The producers even took a full page ad in the NY Times announcing his return to Broadway. I can still visualize the ad. He stood across from the Palace Theater in the middle of Broadway with his arm stretch opened. Not sure if they ever announced why he didn't appear.
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2004, 02:09:58 PM »

Coming up blank?  Nevah.  Nevah.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up