Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CLEVER, THESE AMERICANS  (Read 28456 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:CLEVER, THESE AMERICANS
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2004, 02:11:23 PM »

I'm writing up a storm today. Boy, it feels good!

Panni

« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2004, 02:11:56 PM »

And one for Arthur Miller!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2004, 02:14:32 PM »

Elizabeth Allen wasn't exactly miscast in Do I Hear A Waltz but she was prettier than she should have been, making the story less than believable.
Elizabeth Allen and Sergio Franchi were BOTH too young for their parts.  He came off as an abusive boyfriend, telling her how women should behave and rejecting her every time she didn't conform to his controlling view.  Go home, Leona!  Run, while you still can!

Bleh.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2004, 02:16:35 PM »

Writing up a storm?  "The winds were blowing mercilessly, whilst the rain pelted all of Farmer William's pelts.  There was nothing worse than rain-pelted pelts, at least in Farmer William's opinion.  The wind was felling trees and the trees were feeling bad about the felling.  They had, in fact, that felling feeling.  The storm raged on and on."

There, now I, too, have written up a storm.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #94 on: July 06, 2004, 02:20:54 PM »

Oh the cleverness of me!
Just had to share this moment of triumph, silly as it may be. Riley, who is 5, had this little plastic skeleton of a T-Rex, held together by nothing by pegs in holes.  Playing as a five year old does with it, it kept falling apart in his hands, and he was getting rather frustrated.  I looked in vain for super glue or something to hold it together more securely...but no luck.  Then I got the bright idea to use a candle, melt the plastic along the cracks in the model, and fuse it together.  Wonder of wonders, it worked!  The tail is now staying where it should be, and the skull doesn't split open every thirty seconds.  Wasn't that clever?  Wasn't that just too too?

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2004, 02:22:44 PM »

Re:  storm writing.  I am reminded of the classic Peanuts cartoon wherein Snoopy is attempting write the great American novel.  His first sentence is, of course, "It was a dark and stormy night," which sends Lucy off into paroxysms of critical nitpicking.  She rips Snoopy's attempt to shreds, finishing off her critique by saying "Character!  That's what makes an interesting opening paragraph.  Character!"  Snoopy then types atop his doghouse:  "He was a dark and stormy knight."
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2004, 02:32:01 PM »

I have just returned from getting my hair cut.  I now feel light and breezy.

TOD: Two performances, one male, one female.

Dean Jones played John Adams in 1776, but no one told him that it was supposed to be a serious role.  He kept flashing a big grin, trying for laughs and love.

Leslie Uggams had the same problem as the Witch in Into the Woods, and threw her arms open wide to gather in all the applause at the end of each number.

Maybe someone could cast them together as Harold and Marion in The Music Man.  Use your imaginations.  Scream from the horror.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2004, 02:38:22 PM »

Ann, yes very clever of you, plus the knowledge there is now a happy five year old.  You should be very pleased with yourself. :)

While I was gone did you find another par time job?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 02:39:24 PM by Jane »

Jason

« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2004, 02:52:17 PM »

I'm so disappointed that no one has mentioned Mr. Michael Crawford in DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES. Of course, I think I'm the only one here who actually saw it.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2004, 03:21:40 PM »

Quote from: Jane
While I was gone did you find another par time job?

[quote

Sadly no.  No new job, full time, part time, or any time at all.  The job market for a newly graduated college student is absolutely abysmal right now.  I know DR Jed will agree with me.

Jane

« Reply #100 on: July 06, 2004, 03:35:51 PM »

Sorry, at least you have the job with the children you enjoy.  They sound so cute.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #101 on: July 06, 2004, 04:04:57 PM »

Just a quick comment about John Edwards. John Kerry could not have made a wiser choice because Mr. Edwards, our senior NC senator, brings something to the campaign that Kerry sorely needed: tons and tons of charisma. John Edwards actually makes people stop breathing when they're in his presence. Hard to explain, but the man is an electrifying presence, and I find Kerry's vast experience and Edwards' mesmerizing way with people to be a terrific combination.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Robin

« Reply #102 on: July 06, 2004, 04:06:44 PM »

The single worst performance of a headliner I've ever witnessed was in a touring company of Into the Woods, with PAT HARRINGTON's name above the title.  Now, I really had no idea who PAT HARRINGTON was, but apparently, he was on some long-running sitcom I've never seen, and had a small part in a terrific movie called The President's Analyst.

In this production, he was lazy, couldn't carry a tune, and didn't seem to give a damn.  Which was a pity, since the rest of the cast were really good.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: July 06, 2004, 04:08:10 PM »

Elizabeth Allen and Sergio Franchi were BOTH too young for their parts.  He came off as an abusive boyfriend, telling her how women should behave and rejecting her every time she didn't conform to his controlling view.  Go home, Leona!  Run, while you still can!

Bleh.

Shirley Booth played Leona in the original play version of the story. Knowing that she could sing and had a way with music that could leave a tear in your eye, I wonder if they were ever tempted to cast her in DO I HEAR A WALTZ? What middle aged singing actress could have done it justice then? Angela Lansbury? Mary Martin? Nanette Fabray?

Robin

« Reply #104 on: July 06, 2004, 04:08:24 PM »

And the casting of Matthew Broderick in The Mucus Man was certainly memorable...if nothing else.  

Matt H.

« Reply #105 on: July 06, 2004, 04:11:03 PM »

I'm assuming Pat Harrington played the Baker? Or the Narrator/Mysterious Man? He was in ONE DAY AT A TIME for six years or so, but seems like he was on earlier sitcoms, too, that maybe didn't last as long.

Panni

« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2004, 04:12:02 PM »

Geez, I turn my back for one minute and you make stormy fun of me!
Well, I'm going to be mature about this. All I have to says is...

Panni

« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2004, 04:23:58 PM »

Brando sightings - My landlady was telling me that Marlon Brando's former maid with whom he had two or three children, lived just a few houses up the street. And he would come and visit her from time to time. Also, an ice cream emporium near here (now a sandwich and yogurt place) was where he would hang out consuming vast amounts of the stuff.

Panni

« Reply #108 on: July 06, 2004, 04:25:33 PM »

It's not enough that my stormy writing gets mocked, but now I have to be a frenzy of one?! Sheesh!

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: July 06, 2004, 04:25:41 PM »

I just read that relatives are now fighting over Brando's possessions knowing they're going to bring vast sums on the auction market.

Vultures, all.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 04:26:28 PM by Matt H. »

Danise

« Reply #110 on: July 06, 2004, 04:35:27 PM »

Evening all.  

Sorry they are late but I do send my very best vibes/wishes your way that things turn out how you want them to, Bruce.  

Not much to say.  Work is work.  Even at a higher pay level.   :)

I played a little Book Worm but didn't finish it.  I'm not a very good speller. It takes me a long time to come up with a word after awhile.

I see Ken Jennings is still on Jeopardy.  Now THAT''S a Clever American!  

We now have 4 (count'em) 4 (!) frog/toads in my little shed outside.     And these are BIG frog/toads.  I don't know where they are coming from or who is putting the word out that my shed is the place to be.  I guess I should be grateful.  To be as big as they are they must be eating lots of bugs.

Not much going on or did I say that?  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

« Reply #111 on: July 06, 2004, 04:42:19 PM »

I've just received in the mail the most wonderful gift from Dan-in-Toronto.... an original Playbill (August, 1941) from PANAMA HATTIE, starring Ethel Merman (Music & Lyrics by Mr. Cole Porter)! Listed among the "Dancing Girls" are June Allyson, Lucille Bremmer, Vera Ellen and Doris Dowling. I'm going to offer the Playbill to Doris' husband, if he does not have it. Thank you, DR Dan-in-TO!

Panni

« Reply #112 on: July 06, 2004, 04:48:20 PM »

The cover of the PANAMA HATTIE Playbill, featuring a gorgeous Ethel Merman...

Panni

« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2004, 04:57:24 PM »

I think I've put us in modified Cinerama. We're almost at the next page and the picture is so lovely that perhaps it's worth it.

Jane

« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2004, 05:01:44 PM »

Danise I forgot to mention I like your avatar.  I sure had missed it.

Panni-nice picture of Ethel Merman.  I didn’t realize she was so attractive.

Robin

« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2004, 05:09:51 PM »

I'm assuming Pat Harrington played the Baker? Or the Narrator/Mysterious Man?

Right the second time.  Though I would put quotes around the verb, as in: I'm assuming Pat Harrington "played" the Narrator/Mysterious Man.

Robin

« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2004, 05:11:26 PM »

Panni-nice picture of Ethel Merman.  I didn’t realize she was so attractive.

She was possibly the prettiest woman ever named "Ethel".

Panni

« Reply #117 on: July 06, 2004, 05:28:02 PM »

She was possibly the prettiest woman ever named "Ethel".

I think Vivian Vance was also quite an attractive lady and was dowdied down for her role.

Panni

« Reply #118 on: July 06, 2004, 05:33:00 PM »

A few more scintillating posts and we'll be out of Stereo...

Just read that THE HONEYMOONERS is being made as a "contemporary feature." Will be shot in Ireland. (Ireland??) And will star Cedric the Entertainer and Mike Epps (have no idea who he is) in the Kramden and Norton roles. I can just imagine... Or maybe I can't.

Jane

« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2004, 06:12:38 PM »

I found that Cedric the Entertainer will play Ralph Cramden.   I guess then Mike Epps will play Norton.  For a photo and info on Epps: http://www.tribute.ca/bio.asp?id=8264

Originally the movie should have been released last year, now it will be this July.

I looked up HONEYMOONERS at found the following site for the movie with Epps & Cedric-http://movies.go.com/movies/H/honeymooners_2003/.

I also found another movie, different subject, with the same title:  http://www.dubliniff.com/movies/honeymooners.html
Did anyone see this film? (note, it too was shot in Ireland)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up