Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ZIP AND THE ZING  (Read 22448 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE ZIP AND THE ZING
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2004, 05:43:43 PM »

I'm here just in time to say and NOT one for Cheney!

Panni

« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2004, 05:44:43 PM »

For the Republicans among us, this is strictly about the dancing Cheney. The rest of my views I'll keep to myself. I'm a disenfranchised Canadian, anyway.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 05:46:31 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2004, 05:48:48 PM »

I did some really good writing today. (In spite of the fact that I'm not feeling great.) So maybe not logging on as often when I'm in the thick of it is the answer.

Panni

« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2004, 05:51:30 PM »

I'm a frenzy of one. Had one of those great epiphanies -- I was rereading my script pages and realized that one of the acts should have ended earlier and the extra material belonged in the following act. Thus - I'm into the NEXT act with several pages already written. A gift.

Emily

« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2004, 05:53:55 PM »

I googled spyware and macs for you Panni... there is a bit of discussion over the fact that macs are much less likely than PCs to get spyware - probably due to the fact that mac users are still less in number than PC users and the people that create the things are too lazy to transfer their evil work over to another system :)

Supposedly, the following link will do the trick:

http://macscan.securemac.com/
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2004, 05:54:36 PM »

btw... all you have to do is click on the "download" tab and fill out the handy-dandy about you form :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2004, 05:58:56 PM »

AND for the entertainment of all Hainsies and Kimlets:

http://jibjab.com/thisland.html

Hilarious proof that we need all political debates to be sung through... :D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #127 on: July 12, 2004, 06:12:47 PM »

Thank you, I needed that!

-Now it's time for me to get dressed for my dinner with DR Jay!

What to wear, what to wear...???
Make Your Own Luck.

Emily

« Reply #128 on: July 12, 2004, 06:17:38 PM »

Clinton: "... to the new york - hey what did I do?"

guffaw :)

Danise

« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2004, 06:29:58 PM »

Pardon me but I have to gush a little bit.

Michael Ball!  Sigh.  SLC.  Sigh.  That video brought it all back to me.  I wanna go again!  

Lord, I hope he comes back to the States.  I don't think I'll ever make it over to England, much as I would like to.  Then again, I never thought I'd ever go to SLC, either.   ;D

Ok, end of gush.  I tried to keep it small and tasteful.  

Night all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #130 on: July 12, 2004, 06:33:37 PM »

DR EMILY that was one of the funniest things ever....since that "Daddy, I wanna be president NOW!" thing....LOL
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2004, 06:38:44 PM »

I just won a sealed copy of RETURN OF THE KING WS 2-disk edition for 9.55 + 3.00 shpg.  Now I will have all three movies.  I can have a RINGS night!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2004, 06:51:22 PM »

Equity & League Reach Agreement; No Strike

FROM BROADWAY.COM

After a contentious series of negotiations, the League of American Theatres and Producers and Actors' Equity Association have come to terms on a new Production Contract. This deal means there will not be a strike.

The two sides issued this joint statement: "Actors' Equity Association and the League of American Theatres and Producers announced today they have reached a tentative agreement on a new four year Production Contract. Leadership from both sides will be meeting tomorrow to finalize the details of the contract. The Equity Council will review the agreement and will make a recommendation. The contract will then be sent to the Equity ratification group for vote. The contract will serve our industry and theatregoers well, keeping Broadway strong in New York and creating more opportunities on the road."

Talks between the two sides broke down for the second time very early Saturday morning as Equity offered the League what it called "a final offer" regarding concessions for touring productions. The League did not accept the offer and negotiations were called off. However, talks unofficially resumed today between the parties and a deal was hammered out.

Actors and stage managers have been working without a contract since the previous one expired at midnight on June 27. The new deal still has to be ratified by an Equity membership vote.

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Emily

« Reply #133 on: July 12, 2004, 07:10:06 PM »

I just won a sealed copy of RETURN OF THE KING WS 2-disk edition for 9.55 + 3.00 shpg.  Now I will have all three movies.  I can have a RINGS night!

A friend of mine just flew in from Perth where he's studying vet science.  On the 18 hour flight they showed ALL three movies one right after another...

That's a lot of LOTR!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #134 on: July 12, 2004, 07:12:22 PM »

Emily it didn’t work at first and I was wondering what was so funny.  I’m glad I opened it back up.  Thanks. :)

JRand congratulations.  I think if you have a Rings night you won’t get any sleep.  Seems Emily just proved my point. ;D

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #135 on: July 12, 2004, 07:15:24 PM »

I can't get that JibJab thing to work...
Feels like the guests chez Kimmel are sharing some real funny joke I'm not in on.  :-(
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jane

« Reply #136 on: July 12, 2004, 07:19:06 PM »

Noel I tried it again and this time nothing is happening.  Maybe it will work later.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #137 on: July 12, 2004, 07:23:27 PM »

Herewith an example:

ACT ONE: THE REPORT
The Washington Post reports:

"It does not affect your daily life very much if your neighbor marries a box turtle. But that does not mean it is right. . . . Now you must raise your children up in a world where that union of man and box turtle is on the same legal footing as man and wife."

-- Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.), advocating a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage in a speech Thursday to the Heritage Foundation.

ACT TWO: THE EXPLANATION

Andrew Sullivan reports:

From Senator John Cornyn's press secretary: "For what it's worth, Sen. Cornyn did not, in his speech to the Heritage Foundation, use the 'box turtles' quote. The Post was given a copy of remarks 'as prepared,' but Sen. Cornyn did not like that passage, and did not use it. The Post, which did not attend the speech, reported the quote nonetheless. Sen. Cornyn said that he did not think that statement appropriate, that's why he didn't use it. I've advised the Post of this fact."

ACT THREE: THE MUSICAL FINALE

JON CRONYN AND HIS BOX TURTLE
Parody lyrics by Charles Eliot Mehler
(c) 2004, all rights reserved

(To the tune of "Red Roses for a Blue Lady.")

MAKE WAY FOR JON CRONYN AND HIS BOX TURTLE
MISTER FAM’LY VALUES HAS A FRIEND
I HEAR HE CALLS HIS TURTLE HIS “TURTLE DOVE”
THEY’RE POSTER CHILDREN
FOR THE CAUSE OF HUMAN-REPTILE LOVE

MAKE WAY FOR JON CRONYN AND HIS BOX TURTLE
DOWN IN TEXAS, THAT’S THE WAY TO BE
THEY’RE LIVING THERE IN SIN
AND SOON WE’LL SEE THEM IN
A SITCOM THURSDAYS NIGHTS ON N-B-C!

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Panni

« Reply #138 on: July 12, 2004, 07:34:05 PM »

Thanks for the Mac info, Emily!

Panni

« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2004, 07:43:37 PM »

Emily - the download at that site is disabled. Something new and better is in the works apparently. I've filed away the URL and will try again.

Panni

« Reply #140 on: July 12, 2004, 07:56:50 PM »

Hilarious! (And sad.) Thanks.

Emily

« Reply #141 on: July 12, 2004, 08:06:22 PM »

Noel, if you're using dial-up, it might explain why you can't access the java-fun-link... those files can be big and can jam up on slower connections...

:(

Jane

« Reply #142 on: July 12, 2004, 08:08:40 PM »

Time to go watch something.

My book discussion group is meeting here in the morning so I won’t be posting until the afternoon.  I have so much to do and it doesn’t help that I must walk Echo in the morning as it is too hot here to walk her in the afternoon.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #143 on: July 12, 2004, 08:19:57 PM »

Woody, I expect anti-union rhetoric from a Republican.  
And I expect union rhetoric from a union employee.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #144 on: July 12, 2004, 08:21:05 PM »

Tonight I watched A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN which I recorded last weekend off the Fox Movie Channel. Lovely tearjerker beautifully played. Easy to see why James Dunn and Peggy Ann Garner won Oscars. Can't believe Dorothy Maguire and Joan Blondell weren't nominated. The print used on the FMC had lots of speckles and other marks and was in need of some serious restoration.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #145 on: July 12, 2004, 08:28:20 PM »

I was wrong.  I'm still here.  Keith is sending a couple of photos from our trip to  friend.  At the moment he is working on a really nice one of me with our sons.  He still has to downsize them so I can post.

Jane

« Reply #146 on: July 12, 2004, 08:34:18 PM »

If I had known I had so much time I would have sliced some carrots to serve tomorrow.  They will probably taste better if I wait until the morning.

td

• td
« Reply #147 on: July 12, 2004, 08:36:25 PM »

Last night I watched Minx go through a petit mal seizure. When she was out of it the seizure she was only slightly disoriented and prone to walking in large circles. Even on her leash, she was directionless in the yard. She wouldn't accept a teaspoon of whiskey, one vet's suggestion for a previous dog with epilepsy, but I did manage to get some Rescue Remedy into her, which did allow her to relax, finally lie down and sleep.
I stayed home from work today to keep close tabs on her.  Minx was her normal self this morning, no signs whatsoever of the trauma of last night.  She woke up, greeted me at the table, walked to the door in anticipation of her morning walk, drank a few sips of water then lay at my feet til i finished my cup of coffee.  No wandering on her walk, straight to business.  Once inside, she went straight for the steps as she does any other morning.  She ate her two treats, then laid down in her normal spot on the sofa.  Once I put a cd (Joe Nichols' REVELATION) into the player, she hopped down and got comfortable in front of the speakers.  She contentedly slept through the dvd of COLD MOUNTAIN later this afternoon.  She is pretty fine, right now, no sign of after-effects, she's been bouncy and energetic at her "usual" times; that old biological clock is running accurately.
So, tomorrow morning, Mom has her 13th surgery (may we asy "Lucky Number Thirteen?" This surgery, scheduled for 8:30am, will place a metal rod the whole way down her leg from the hip to the ankle.  Her hospital stay shouldn't be much longer than a week.

I still love everything in 110 IN THE SHADE; I even got  to see Emily Skinner as Lizzie when she was a student at Carnegie Mellon University.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #148 on: July 12, 2004, 08:49:28 PM »

Sure, it's a frustrating situation for Equity, this free enterprise system we live under.  I'm not sympathetic, however, to their taking out their frustrations on New York theatregoers by striking Broadway.
On this, I am entirely in agreement with Noel.

Add this to the earlier arguements: If Equity were to strike, and shut down Broadway (which they apparently won't be doing at this writing), the impact would not just be upon Broadway itself.  The impact would be felt by the tourist industry, a major part of the NYC economy, hitting restaurants, hotels, the lot.  This seems, to me, proportionally way out of balance, particularly if the union has only a "very few" members who are able to earn a living wage (after paying dues).
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #149 on: July 12, 2004, 08:58:15 PM »

Vibes for TD and those close to him.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up