Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SPLENDIDLY SPLENDID EVENING  (Read 17092 times)

Tomovoz

Re:THE SPLENDIDLY SPLENDID EVENING
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2004, 08:27:27 PM »

I have a slight cold at the moment (annoying tickle in the throat stuff). Dr DR Panni: Can you recommend a particular flavour ice-cream for my condition. Hope you are feeling better.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2004, 08:29:39 PM »

No page five dance from me - Wallflower from OZ.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2004, 08:36:34 PM »

my buttcheeks are numb.
it's been that kind of day.
just wanted to see my friends at HHW.

::)

now that i've had a look around, i'll put my buttcheeks to bed.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Emily

« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2004, 08:37:52 PM »

I like taking the wasabi paste that comes with sushi and mixing it up with soy sauce for dipping with my chopstick...

if you stir long enough and aim for the clumps you get a nice spicy - but not concentratedly so - sauce :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2004, 08:39:33 PM »

Of course, because the wasabi can also float around if you don't mash it properly there is always the chance you can get a clump stuck inside a roll without knowing it.

That happened to me once and I thought I was dying - especially because I had just finished my glass of water and had no way to curb the heat except to wait it out...

ouch :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2004, 08:46:31 PM »

I discovered an interesting kind of customer while I was at work today.

An elderly woman, still active and spry, but somewhat hesitant, asked me for assistance late in the evening.  She was looking for something to give an athletic friend of hers, either a refrigerator magnet of some sort or a sports bottle.  She hadn't cared for what we had on display of the former, and we don't carry the latter.  I was very polite to her, paying attention and trying to give suggestions.  It became clear, after a few minutes, that what she really wanted more than anything else was some attention.

It was getting very close to closing time, and I'd left off vaccuming the floors to help her, but she was completely oblivious.  She finally settled on a miniature marble rolling pin that had a flat side to keep it from rolling, and a groove set cut into the other side to hold a recipe card.  She thought this was very clever, and decided to buy it for a "Secret Santa" gift for the winter.  All told, I spent more than ten minutes with the customer, and she spent less than three dollars.

Karen, the assistant manager (who had taken over the vaccuming when she saw what was going on) was appreciative of my spending the time.  I was left a little saddened.  I didn't feel used, but my contribution for the customer was temporary, a stop-gap, and I think she knew that as well.

Should I have spent more?  Should she?

Retail is interesting, but sometimes the rewards aren't findable there.

In parallel, another woman (whom I have served three or four times) had left just minutes before.  She is highly obese, and has gone on a South Beach program.  We discuss foods, how to make them more interesting and flavorful, and how well she is doing.  She is exercising more, and feeling better about herself.  And she missed me the last time she was in the store, either because I was on another shift or it was my day off.

All right, sometimes the rewards are small, and have nothing to do with the business.  Sometimes they are inconclusive.  Sometimes they are like catching sight of a firefly, which disappears into the night the moment your eye focuses on where it was.

A firefly night.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2004, 08:49:57 PM »

I bought a tube of wasabi paste once, and used it (several times) instead of mustard in making a vinaigrette for salad.  It turned out very nicely, as long as I didn't use too much.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2004, 10:11:11 PM »

Any updates yet td?
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2004, 10:14:15 PM »

I shall need to indulge in a frenzy. All is quiet on the Western Front. Where are the West Coasters this evening?
Question: Is it possible to ever tire of the Ella Fitzgerald Songbooks? These recordings have certainly passed the test of time and then some.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 10:14:41 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2004, 10:15:57 PM »

I'm back, but am running out to get a bite to eat and discuss show matters with Tammy.  Notes may go up just a wee bit late, depending on when I get home.  I'll have a full report on our first rehearsal, and yes, Virginia, at the eleventh hour we found our final cast member.  Let's not achieve a new low, shall we?  Why is it so light today?  Although, I must say, today's posts were especially cherce.  Keep the home fries burning until my return, and someone please have a frenzy or two.

Tomovoz

« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2004, 10:16:25 PM »

BK is on on the site. Must check out where Beekay is lately. (He is shifting house, job and town so I guess he is a little busy).
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2004, 10:20:18 PM »

It has taken me so long to remeber to do it but thanks to posts by td, Danise and Jane I have at last remembered to buy some "Rescue Remedy" for Fosca. Now to wait for a thunder storm to test the effectiveness of the product. Guess I shall use it myself if it does not calm the dog. Magnus is of course totally unaware of thunder storm activity. Of course is also totally unaware of our rabbit population too. Perhaps I need to feed him canned rabbit. No. His diet is too strict.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2004, 10:23:08 PM »

The wonders of the internet. Colin and I shall be in London in mid September - meeting with one time Hainsie Allan from Bournemouth. Another internet contact is a London cab driver and is going to give us a free tour of the city. I lived there for a year but a Cab driver will no doubt have a different view of the world.
A month later and we shall be visiting M. François de Paris.

James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #133 on: July 13, 2004, 10:26:20 PM »

Was it DR George who was asking about "clean up" programmes for record to CD on computer? I invested in one called "Clean". Don't understand it at all but a young friend is having a great time with it - on my behalf. He thinks it is brilliant. I am just not a computer person.
As with BK, I shall stick with the non computer method of transfer of vinyl to CD.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #134 on: July 13, 2004, 10:27:44 PM »

I have noticed an absence today - TCB. Computer problems again I guess. Life is not the same without him here.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #135 on: July 13, 2004, 10:28:08 PM »

We will not achieve a new low. Promise.
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #136 on: July 13, 2004, 10:34:15 PM »

What's this I hear outside? Thunder????

The last rain we had here was April 10.

Could it be?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Tomovoz

« Reply #137 on: July 13, 2004, 10:37:42 PM »

I hope so for your sake DR Laura. Out with the Rescue Remedy. Maybe the cat needs it after its recent visit to the Vet.
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #138 on: July 13, 2004, 10:54:56 PM »

Sasha is still mad. I can't blame her, really.

No rain yet.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #139 on: July 13, 2004, 10:56:02 PM »

I like you firefly night, SWW.

Tom - My ice cream remedy does not seem to have worked. I'm feeling pretty sick tonight. I bought some kind of frozen vegetable/rice thing at Trader Joe's and it's done in my stomach. So now as well as all the other symptoms, my stomach is killing me. Oy. This too shall pass.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #140 on: July 13, 2004, 10:59:06 PM »

~~~~~~~ Feel-better-vibes to Panni!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #141 on: July 13, 2004, 10:59:58 PM »

We had rain here in Rehoboth on Monday night; today was overcast.  That's actually good for business: people don't spend their time at the beach, and go shopping instead.  We did double the business we were expecting to at the shop.  And it looks like tomorrow is going to be another gloomy day!  Hoo and Ray!

I'm amazed by my co-worker, Chris.  He's in his early 30s, and after a stint in the Navy was a chef locally.  Having burnt out on that, he's now selling cooking equipment, and he's damn good at it.  If we're on the same shift, I have no problem calling him over to sell a KitchenAid stand mixer or the like.  What's interesting is, he's moral about it.  He won't sell someone something that's a piece of junk, but he won't sell that same person something that is more than they need.  And I've watched him do it.

I don't mind that he's got a goofy/wicked sense of humor, either.  And he's inclined to wear a necktie, just for the eccentricity of it.  (A tie?  In summer?  In this humidity?)  He's impressed with how well I'm picking up the work procedures, and we're both research inclined.  And, heck, if he can wear a tie, so can I.  (New expense: finding silly neckties.)  So we're bonding.  Plus he likes der Brucer, and I've met and like his wife, so that's all working out OK.

There will probably be Chris stories in the future.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #142 on: July 13, 2004, 11:00:19 PM »

What's this??? Can it be????

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #143 on: July 13, 2004, 11:00:53 PM »

RAIN!!!!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #144 on: July 13, 2004, 11:01:52 PM »

I like you firefly night, SWW.
Thank-you, Panni.

Tomovoz

« Reply #145 on: July 13, 2004, 11:02:06 PM »

Special feel better vibes are winging their way across the Pacific for you Panni.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #146 on: July 13, 2004, 11:03:19 PM »

Must have been Starbuck to the rescue DR Laura. I guess it has been more than 110 in the shade of late.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #147 on: July 13, 2004, 11:06:56 PM »

It's time to call it quits.  I started out the day with an early call to work, a truck coming in with a delivery.  Split shift, home for a nap and then back to work...and another truck showed up with much-needed electronics and just myself and Karen on duty.  Tomorrow, a full day starting early again, still another truck scheduled.  I think I need my beauty whatever sleep.

Besides, Buster looks like he needs/wants to cuddle.  I just gave him a brushing, pulling loose a large fistfull of undercoat in the process.  He enjoys that, since it leaves him with a lighter coat and just plain feels good, I think.

Until tomorrow's posts, then.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #148 on: July 13, 2004, 11:27:57 PM »

Good Evening!

Well... I'm home from the last round of auditions and our first rehearsal.  Huzzah!

It went pretty well considering I was without music for a bunch of songs since the FedEx man's timing was a little off this afternoon.  However, most if not of all of the missing notes should be in place by tomorrow night's second rehearsal.

Well... I need to decompress for a little bit in front of the TV, and then I'm heading to bed since I have to get up early and get a lot of work done before tomorrow night's rehearsal.  Now that we're cast, and we've heard the cast sing... Let the great (amount of) work begin!

Oh, as for wasabi - Thumbs Up!  However, I'm not a big a fan of the wasabi-coated dried peas as I used to be.  And there's this mix of wasabi-coated and honey-roasted peanuts (hot and sweet).  Initially, I thought it was a good/interesting combination, but the wasabi just got to be truly overwhelming after a while..  ugh.  OH!  And I've have to say my favorite non-sushi use of wasabi is in mashed potatoes!  In fact, DR Jay's dinner last night included said wasabi-mashed potatoes.

OK... Goodnight... (for now).
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: July 13, 2004, 11:57:05 PM »

Notes going up on time!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up