Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SPLENDIDLY SPLENDID EVENING  (Read 17217 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE SPLENDIDLY SPLENDID EVENING
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2004, 04:14:54 PM »

...move to Page Four?

Panni

« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2004, 04:16:44 PM »

I guess so.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2004, 04:29:57 PM »

Jane - Re Hoy Toy's, the name alone calls for a visit - if it still exists.

If it were called Boy Toy's I'd be there in a flash.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2004, 04:37:02 PM »

Panni,

Can you get chicken-soup ice cream? And good shluffing vibes.

Panni

« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2004, 04:55:07 PM »

Can you get chicken-soup ice cream? And good shluffing vibes.

I got a big bowl of matzoh ball soup at Jerry's Deli last night. And all it seemed to do was keep me from shluffing. Ever hear of caffeine in chicken soup? All these wired kosher chickens frantically singing "Hava Nagila"...

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2004, 05:21:14 PM »

This to cheer up Panni:

Vice President Dick Cheney joined former Mayor Rudy Giuliani at last night's game at Yankee Stadium. Cheney really blended in with the crowd; wearing a Yankees cap, eating peanuts, and yelling at all the Red Sox to "F**k off."

Jacob Novak
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2004, 05:26:14 PM »

Another from Jake

Partisan Dating Sites

In the past few months, dozens of online dating sites have launched catering to singles with distinct political leanings. People surfing the GOP sites can expect to get a lot more action since you're always much more likely to get screwed by a Republican.

der Brucer (image the howl of protest from me if "someone else"  had posted this!)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Danise

« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2004, 05:32:29 PM »

Top of the evening to ya’ll!

Panni, I hope you get to feeling better.  Healing vibes your way![move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
TD here are some vibes being sent your way as well[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%].~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~[/move]

Jrand–What absolute wonderful news!  I would like to suggest that you go out for an evening and treat yourself to something very nice.  

Well folks, I have to tell you, after watching that wonderful Michael Ball tape last night you would have thought I would have nothing but very very sweet dreams last night, right?  Not me!  What did I dream about?  A snake!  A yellow one with red dots on it and red eyes.

I had  the bamboo stick I take with me when I take the dogs for a walk and I wacked that poor snake no matter how hard it tried to get away.  I even told my dream self, “Danise, let that poor thing go!  It’s not hurting you!  I wouldn’t blame it if it bit you!” but despite my efforts, my dream self continued to wack and hit that poor snake.

I woke up and lay there thinking about what could have put that into my head when the symbolic meaning of a snake occurred to me and I had to laugh at myself.  Freud would have had a field day!  Sorry guys, but I must have some deep seated issues!  LOL!  Anyway, I was laughing so hard the dog lifted his head to look at me like I was from outer space!  I thought,  Poor Michael Ball!  That’s not exactly the effect I’m sure he wants to have on women.  Ahhh well.   ;D  :D

I got a kinda payback for my dream meanness.  In all my excitement of seeing the tape, I did something I never do–I forgot to set my alarm!  I woke up again at 6:40 AM.  The bus comes at 7:00 AM!  I think I did my best David Copperfield impression and yes, believe it or not, I made it to the bus on time.  No makeup on but I took care of that on the bus.  

Speaking of wacking, TCB, maybe you should try that on your computer.  It might make it sit up and fly right.  

As far as the Chinese/Japanise food goes, I LOVE Moo Goo Gia Pan!  YUM!  Egg Foo Young!  Yum!  Fried Rice and egg rollS and I could go on and on.

Except for how I feel about sushi.  Do I really have to say it?   Does "Not in this life time.  Not if my life depended on it!" sound familar?   :)  :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2004, 05:35:21 PM »

I'm off to the Hollywood Bowl, Dear Readers.  This is my first sojourn to the Bowl of the season, and it will be my first exposure to the new shell, which is larger than the previous shell to better accommodate the performers and, theoretically, to improve the acoustics.

The program tonight is comprised of Mr. William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, as performed by A Noise Within, the classic repertory company from Glendale.  They will be accompanied by Mr. Felix Mendelssohn's complete incidental music, as performed by the Los Angeles Philharmonic, conducted by Mr. Esa-Pekka Salonen.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Danise

« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2004, 05:36:54 PM »

Enjoy Jay!  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2004, 05:44:55 PM »

I'm off to get ice cream. Perhaps Mr. Felix Mendelssohn will be there getting a sundae. He might be in town for his concert at the Bowl. You never know.
At seven I need to watch Jeopardy to see if my favorite Mormon gets to one million. You gotta love the guy. Not only is he smart and funny, but he intends to give part of his winnings to PBS and NPR.

Panni

« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2004, 05:45:49 PM »

Thanks for the good vibes, Danise!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2004, 06:02:27 PM »

Feel better soon vibes to Panni! ~~~~~~~~~~~

I had Chinese food today and last night. Vegetable fried rice. And yes, I did eat it in bed. Well, on my futon.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2004, 06:43:03 PM »

Panni what kind of ice cream did you have?  Do you have a Baskin Robbins near you?  I found Hoy Toy’s on line but it is in Columbus, Ohio not Van Nuys.  Then I realized I added a y by mistake and found:

Ho Toy's Restaurant. 4630 Van Nuys Blvd. Sherman Oaks. 91403. 818-789-0460.
4454 Van Nuys Blvd., #K. Sherman Oaks. 91403. 818-783-6646.

One of these may be the take out and the other the restaurant.  That is why the ribs were called “upstairs” ribs.  If you ordered to go you wanted to be sure to get the good ones from the restaurant.  I have no idea why they were different.

It must be at least 15 years since we have eaten there.

Jane

« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2004, 06:57:33 PM »

Danise such detail on your dream.  I’m impressed.

Keith thinks we were at Ho Toys around ten years ago.

Jane

« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2004, 07:04:57 PM »

I have way too many Ghirardelli double chocolate chip meringue cookies left from my morning company.  And guess who is eating them all?  HELP, MAKE ME STOP!  Not that they weren’t the hit of the goodies I served, but I made far more than necessary.  Far more than the far more than necessary food I usually serve.  I also had the peanut butter cookies, trail mix with toffee and dried cherries, fresh cherries, sliced peaches, Cotswold cheese and cracker, plus two different kinds of fresh brewed tea and coffee. Oh, I also had mixed nuts and sliced carrots.   I go a bit crazy with this.  Some people only serve one muffin per person when they host our book discussion.

Yesterday I asked if anyone had read Two Boys in Afghanistan. Turns out the book I was looking for is The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseine.  It is about two boys in Afghanistan.  I had heard it is great and went to our local bookstore to purchase and preview it for my group-my choice in September.  The owner of the bookstore had not read it but said she keeps hearing it is great.  So, I went ahead and chose it.  Now I have to wait until September to read it, or read it twice if I want to lead an intelligent discussion on the book.  So once again, has anyone read the book?

Michael

« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2004, 07:13:34 PM »

Jason: If you can wait until after July 25th I can make copies of the Lehrer Rhino set. it is up in Canada at my folks and I will be seeing them that weekend.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2004, 07:15:00 PM »

I enjoy all sort of oriental foods. Japanese, Chinese, Viet Namese and Thailandese.

Pad Thai is one of my fav dishes
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2004, 07:21:22 PM »

Tonight's meal won't be very Japanese: ham, sauteed spinach, and cheese grits.  (It's that last bit that keeps it from being an Oriental meal, I suppose.)

Favorite Japanese meal: One week, when der Brucer and I were in San Francisco for a convention, we went to a very nice restaurant.  The meal consisted of a light miso soup (which I like very much), tempura, and sukiyaki.  Der Brucer hadn't had sukiyaki before, and found it quite tasty.  Tender, thin slices of beef, braised in a beef broth with assorted vegetables and bean curd.  I teased him about liking the tofu, but he growled that it was "bean curd" because that is what it was called on the menu.

There's a new, very upscale Chinese restaurant in town, called Confucius.  Der Brucer is refusing to go, because he can't stand the thought of paying those kind of prices for rice.

On the other hand, we've sampled the food at a sushi restaurant called Abstractions, and he thought what they served was quite delish.

A question for all: Wasabi - thumbs up, or thumbs down?  For myself, thumbs up.  I find it milder than European horseradish, with an interesting flavor of it's own.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2004, 07:31:52 PM »

I got a kinda payback for my dream meanness.  In all my excitement of seeing the tape, I did something I never do–I forgot to set my alarm!  I woke up again at 6:40 AM.  The bus comes at 7:00 AM!  I think I did my best David Copperfield impression and yes, believe it or not, I made it to the bus on time.  No makeup on but I took care of that on the bus.
I'm sorry, Danise, you're far too nice a person and don't deserve this, but...eeeewwww!  Putting make-up on while riding the bus?  There are few things that make me wince more than that.  I've always been of the mindset that there are certain things that should be done in private, and applying make-up is one of them.  It's not as gross as heavy petting, but it's still up there.  Fortunately, I'm certain this is not the sort of think you do habitually.  (The make-up, not the heavy petting.  You're far to much a lady to tell us about that.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2004, 07:34:29 PM »

Panni's post about ice cream reminded me of a faux-Japanese meal that I enjoy: teppan steak.  There's a new restaurant being built nearby that will feature teppan, and I'm hoping it doesn't turn out to be a bust.

The reason I'm reminded of this is because they often serve, for dessert, green tea ice cream!  Yummers!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2004, 07:38:16 PM »

I'm off to the Hollywood Bowl, Dear Readers.  This is my first sojourn to the Bowl of the season, and it will be my first exposure to the new shell, which is larger than the previous shell to better accommodate the performers and, theoretically, to improve the acoustics.
Ah, yes, "improving the acoustics", resulting in another round of the Hollywood Bowl Shell Game.

It's an open air theater.  It will never have great acoustics.  Enjoy it for the event, people!

(Hope the concert show is a good one, Jay!)

(And it would help if I remembered what you wrote originally, or I wouldn't have to edit what I wrote.   :-\)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 07:40:45 PM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2004, 07:39:18 PM »

Posting Frenzy, Posting Frenzy
Rah Rah Rah!
Posting Frenzy, Posting Frenzy
Siss Boom Bah!

Jane

« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2004, 07:40:48 PM »

We sent wasabi chips to our son in Romania and he asked for more.

Jane

« Reply #114 on: July 13, 2004, 07:43:48 PM »

Michael Shayne, my favorite is Pad See U (obviously not spelled that way)  :)

Jane

« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2004, 07:50:30 PM »

SWW, I don't care for Wasabi chips or plain Wasabi.  I'm sure I have enjoyed iWasabi when foods have been cooked with it.

Jane

« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2004, 07:57:30 PM »

Echo has finished her dinner and just had her pills so we are going to relax and watch a DVD now.

Goodnight.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #117 on: July 13, 2004, 08:12:57 PM »

I enjoyed HEARTBURN as always with excellent work by the actors. Great to see Kevin Spacey in an early role (he mugs Meryl Streep for her rings), and the film has lots of familiar faces in it that I didn't even remember were in this film: Karen Ackers, Mercedes Rheul, John Wood, to name a few. And the transfer is splendid, very sharp with great color.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #118 on: July 13, 2004, 08:17:55 PM »

Oh, Joanna Gleason was in it, too.

Tomorrow, I'll be watching a DVD of Jack Benny episodes. Maybe another Charlie Chan, too.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2004, 08:18:33 PM »

Wasabi - Thumbs up. I like Wasabi beans (or is it peas?) too.

Jane - I had pecan and peanut butter frozen yogurt. Delish. You wouldn't be able to have it though! Thanks for looking up Hoy Toy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up