Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: TODAY IS MINE ALL MINE  (Read 24386 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:TODAY IS MINE ALL MINE
« Reply #270 on: April 04, 2008, 08:39:48 PM »

In the Richard Rodgers theater, which is a better seat - O 107  Center Orchestra 4 rows under mezzanine or Front Mezzanine row C 103 - 3rd row front Mezz

Front Mezz is definitely a better seat.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #271 on: April 04, 2008, 08:43:16 PM »

Thanks! I did a few searches and read about problems seeing from the orchestra seats under the Mezz so I got the ticket in the front mezzanine. Row C center section. I'm excited!  I had a discount. I'm going to the 7:00 PM performance on Sunday May 4.  That will leave the rest of the weekend more open for other shows or whatever...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 08:44:01 PM by Cillaliz »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #272 on: April 04, 2008, 08:45:56 PM »

Hmm... I'm catching up with the first episode of "Step It Up & Dance" via the DVR right now.  I know too many of the contestants.  And I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #273 on: April 04, 2008, 08:48:13 PM »

Cillaliz, I was discussing something with a friend today and we disagreed.

Do you have to have a unanimous decision in a criminal trial? All criminal trials? Or just "big" crimes?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #274 on: April 04, 2008, 08:50:41 PM »

Jane,

I have had a few interesting developments on the branches I am researching. I have given up on one line for I doubt I will be able to break through the brick walls.

I hvae had good luck lately filling in some of the holes in my lines.

Jane, Is Keith German?  

I have seen the name of Kimmelman and I have also seen Kimmel spelt as Kimml
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #275 on: April 04, 2008, 08:53:15 PM »

In other news...

I met up with the currently errant and truant Jason earlier today for lunch and a movie.  We lunched at Spring Street Cafe in SoHo, and then caught a late matinee of "Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day".  What an absolutely charming movie!  And what a great cast too: Frances McDormand, Amy Adams, Lee Pace, Ciaran Hinds, Shirley Henderson, Mark Strong, and Tom Payne.  Lee Pace - of TV's "Pushing Daisies" is particularly adorable.

Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #276 on: April 04, 2008, 08:54:25 PM »

Do you have to have a unanimous decision in a criminal trial? All criminal trials? Or just "big" crimes?

All criminal trials need a unanimous verdict. Civil cases don't.  I don't think that's been changed anywhere, but the way the consitution has been eroded.....

A hung jury is when the jury isn't unanimous. Even if it's 11-1 it isn't a decision.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 09:00:50 PM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #277 on: April 04, 2008, 09:04:20 PM »

Hmmm looks like it depends what state you live in  see this http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/jurysize.html

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #278 on: April 04, 2008, 09:09:07 PM »

And since we had had lunch in SoHo, and since we passed by the store on the way to the Subway, we stopped into Kee's Chocolates.  Well, more like I stopped into Kee's Chocolates.  However, I was not in the mood for any her exquisite chocolates today.  Instead, I decided to try some of her macaroons.  She only had four flavors left, so I got one of each: Rosewater-Lychee, Passion Fruit, Kaffir Lime and Strawberry.  They were all quite good, however, with the exception of the Rosewater-Lychee one, they were actually filled with dark chocolate ganache, rather than a fruit-based cream filling.

Then since we had seen the movie at Chelsa Clearview Cinemas down on 23rd Street, I showed Jason where Madeleine Patisserie was too.  ;)  So... Just two from there today: Banana-Guava and Port Wine/Cassis.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #279 on: April 04, 2008, 09:16:09 PM »

DR Matt - Did I miss which version you were watching?  Was it the extended cut or the theatrical release?  I'm not high on Orlando Bloom in either version, but, I think the longer cut is a much more coherent, dramatic and enjoyable film.  It's one of those epics which I do revisit when the mood strikes me for something heavy.

Yes, it's the longer director's cut which is on Blu-ray. I understand that this version does make the most dramatic sense and the early added scenes add a great deal to helping an audience identify more with Bloom.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #280 on: April 04, 2008, 09:17:28 PM »

As for tonight's recital at Carnegie Hall by Joseph Kaiser and Craig Rutenberg, well...

First of all, I had thought the recital was at 8:00.  I had stopped by DR elmore's to drop off "something" on my way back uptown, and was planning on heading back to the apartment to put on something less casual, and then head back on down to Carnegie Hall.  While I was walking to the train, I thought, "Wouldn't it be funny if the recital was at 7:30?" Well, lo and behold, when I looked at the ticket, it said "7:30"!  So, I picked up my pace to the subway station.  I figured I would have just enough time to make it back uptown, run into my apartment, put on a nicer sweater, and then run back down to catch the D Train downtown.  Well, as I was waiting for the C Train (the local) at 81st Street, three express trains went by.  As I waited and waited, I did the math and realized there would be no way to make the trip uptown and back, so I hopped on a B train downtown.  By the time I walked up to Carnegie Hall it was 7:15...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #281 on: April 04, 2008, 09:22:14 PM »

I began my evening of viewing by finishing THE MIRROR CRACK'D. Of the 4 Christie movies made betweenb 1974-1982, this was the only one where I guessed the murderer's identity before it was revealed. Nice to see it again.

td

• td
« Reply #282 on: April 04, 2008, 09:23:38 PM »

Finished up MADAME X, which I guess in its first version was one of my grandmother's favorite movies.  I know that when I was growing up she talked a lot about IMITATION OF LIFE, MADAME X and STELLA DALLAS being favorites of hers.  Obviously my grandmother had a hankering for the five-hankie school of cinema. . . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #283 on: April 04, 2008, 09:25:16 PM »

THE MIRROR CRACK'D is a lot of fun, even with a predictable murderer; the banter alone between Kim Novack and Liz Taylor is deliciously delirious.   :D
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #284 on: April 04, 2008, 09:27:26 PM »

Then I watched 7 episodes (out of 9) of COLLEGE HILL INTERNS. Just exactly what you'd expect it to be - 10 students, young 20s, vying for an intern position in a Fortune 500 company, but they have to win this competition to get the job.

The tasks they're given to do are really not particularly challenging: win some team character building competitions; organize a fund raiser for HIV Awareness, and spend a day assisting in the building of a Habitat for Humanity home. One girl broke down crying because she had to rake soil in the front yard so grass could be planted. One of the guys got so drunk partying the night before that he couldn't make it to the building competition, so he stayed in bed all day!

Naturally, there are the constant confrontations between clashing egos, some sexual heat stirred up between some of the competitors. Naturally, the producers put one lesbian into the mix of contestants to see how they'd react to that.

Matt H.

« Reply #285 on: April 04, 2008, 09:28:56 PM »

I'll finish the remaining two episodes and one more bonus feature tomorrow.

I did get two bonus features watched tonight: a compilation audition reel of interviews with the 10 chosen contestants, and a separate audition reel of some folks not chosen for the show.

Matt H.

« Reply #286 on: April 04, 2008, 09:31:46 PM »

The reason I had so much time to watch COLLEGE HILL INTERNS tonight was that we had a tornado watch tonight in our area during the 8-9 p.m. hour, and all network programming for the CBS, NBC, and ABC affiliates was preempted for 40-45 minutes with the same information repeated ad infinitum.

So, I didn't get to see tonight's GHOST WHISPERER. I was not going to try to get in on the plot with only 20 minutes of show left.

Matt H.

« Reply #287 on: April 04, 2008, 09:33:25 PM »

I did get to see CANTERBURY'S LAW. I enjoyed the episode, but the case was pretty predictable with the two "best friends" who ended up betraying one another.

Matt H.

« Reply #288 on: April 04, 2008, 09:34:05 PM »

I watched tonight's NUMB3RS, too. Lots of stakeouts tonight with a rather slow-moving case.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #289 on: April 04, 2008, 09:41:50 PM »

Yep, ND has made the national press...

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/story?id=4589576&page=1

and this time it was not the weather!
I truly think that the small states will more of a role in this election than in the past
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #290 on: April 04, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »

Nice pictures der Brucer...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #291 on: April 04, 2008, 09:45:13 PM »

When I walked up to the entrance of Weill Recital Hall, I noticed a sign for an upcoming recital by mezzo-soprano, Sasha Cooke... Then as I looked at the date for that recital, I noticed it said "April 4, 2008".  Tonight.  -Hmm... Is she singing in another hall?  That's when I noticed the pieces of paper taped to the doors.  Apparently, both Joseph Kaiser and his accompanist, Craig Rutenberg, were sick, and Sasha Cook and her accompanist, Pei-Yao Wang, were recruited on very short notice to fill in for the evening.

For a few moments, I had thought about asking for a refund, but since I hadn't heard a mezzo-soprano or soprano in recital in a while, I went ahead and headed into Weill.

Her program consisted of some of my favorites: Debussy's "Chasons de Bilitis", Schumann's "Frauenliebe und -Leben", and de Falla's "Siete Canciones Populares Espagnolas", as well as a set of songs by John Harbison, "North and South".

All in all, it was a wonderful recital.  I've never heard Sasha Cooke before, and I was pleasantly surprised by her very "soprano" sounding mezzo-soprano voice.  Bright, clear, without that (stereo-)typical smokiness of some mezzos.  Her accompanist was very good, although, I did find myself wishing for some more colorations in the Debussy and de Falla - but I also thought the piano seemed to be voiced a bit on the bright side too, so that may have been the issue.  Alas, the charms and appeal of Harbison's music still seem to elude me.  There were a few nice moments during "North and South", but those were during passages where I thought he was sounding like William Bolcom and Ned Rorem. ;)

For her encores, she performed Rachmaninov's "Spring Waters" - which I had just heard the night before in the larger hall, and a truly hauntingly beautiful aria from John Adam's "Doctor Atomic" - she'll be a part of the Metropolitan Opera's production next season.

*There was one interesting flub during the de Falla set.  The pianist started the intro to one of the songs... -Hmm, that's not the next one in the set... Then Ms. Cooke gestured to stop and briefly chatted with her accompanist.  Her pianist had accidentally turned one too many pages, and had skipped over one of the songs.  Oops!
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #292 on: April 04, 2008, 09:48:23 PM »

THere has not been a lot for telly viewing up here tonight iwth the local coverage of Clinton's and Obama's visits.

Matt H.

« Reply #293 on: April 04, 2008, 09:57:31 PM »

Going to write for just a bit and then will head off to bed.

Good night!

FJL

« Reply #294 on: April 04, 2008, 10:31:30 PM »

Back from SOUTH PACIFIC, which was magnificent.  And the audience, as the first audience after the show's reviews came out, seemed thrilled to be there from the start, adding to the excitement.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #295 on: April 04, 2008, 11:05:57 PM »

I'm not surprised, you seemed to be enjoying him too much :)  Did you tell her that, just in case?

You betcha :D

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #296 on: April 04, 2008, 11:15:20 PM »

Well, I'm actually working tomorrow - more auditions - so...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #297 on: April 04, 2008, 11:35:03 PM »

Yep, ND has made the national press...

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/story?id=4589576&page=1

and this time it was not the weather!
I truly think that the small states will more of a role in this election than in the past

From your same link"

Danielle Luminita, a model from Romania, is carried on the shoulders of two other models as she displays a diamond-studded thong during Viva La Eve by Triumph at the Singapore Fashion Festival April 3. The thong, valued at $121,106, is decorated with 518 diamonds totaling 30 carats.
(Vivek Prakash/Reuters)

And with that face, she needs the thong!

der Brucer

PS Enjoy the attention while you can - come November the news won't even mention the Dakotas.
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #298 on: April 05, 2008, 12:53:31 AM »

Back from Sweeney Todd and a lovelier than lovely visit with the lovelier than lovely Miss Judy Kaye (and husband David Green).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #299 on: April 05, 2008, 12:53:51 AM »

Four posts since nine-thirty, not exactly sporting.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up