Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FORTY-EIGHT D'S  (Read 40560 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE FORTY-EIGHT D'S
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2007, 10:04:40 AM »

Oh, I see you've edited your post and got even more defensive.  No one's laughing at you or anyone else.  Why is it that when people try to inform they are derided as being mean and uppity?  My opinion isn't the be-all and end-all, for God's sake.  But it IS informed, and I'm not the ONLY one who has it.  Mr. Harris agreed with me (eventually back-pedaling when Warners asked him to, but the posts where he agreed with me stand), scholars of the film agreed with me, and many people who were at the screening of the D-5 digital master at the Academy agreed with me.

You don't, and that's fine - no need to get snippy about it.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2007, 10:05:03 AM »

Sorry, Ron, you can get as defensive as you like, but I don't look at these things through fifty year old memory - I know what I'm talking about, having owned both 16mm and 35mm IB Tech prints.  If you are happy with vibrant greenish skies, great.  I am not.  If you are happy with the color yellow being predominant, great.  I am not.  Winton Hoch was one of the greatest color cameramen ever and this transfer is a travesty of his work.  Those skies should be bluer than blue - they should be ACHINGLY blue.  Look at the original DVD transfer.  No, it's not as SHARP and DETAILED as the new transfer, but the COLOR is what it should be.  Why?  Because the people who DID that transfer back in the laserdisc days USED an IB Tech studio print (yes, Ron, Warners has an IB Tech perfectly-colored studio print and guess what - THEY DIDN'T USE IT when they were doing the new transfer - they forgot - they didn't care - and that comes right from Mr. Robert Harris' mouth), and they got the color as close as possible back in those days.  Had those people done this new transfer we'd ALL be raving.  

It's like Warners' new transfer of Singin' In The Rain - people rave.  It's all brown and looks nothing like IB Tech prints of that film (of which I've owned several) - they rave because it's SHARP.  And I'm telling you, SHARP is wonderful, but color is more important.

See, here's the thing.  I don't get greenish or yellowish anything.

What I see on my TV and what others say they see on theirs -- and given your negative comments about films that, on my TV,  look spectacular with true colors popping off the screen -- I have to say I'm suspicious of whoever calibrated your equipment.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2007, 10:07:51 AM »

Oh, I see you've edited your post and got even more defensive.  No one's laughing at you or anyone else.  Why is it that when people try to inform they are derided as being mean and uppity?  My opinion isn't the be-all and end-all, for God's sake.  But it IS informed, and I'm not the ONLY one who has it.  Mr. Harris agreed with me (eventually back-pedaling when Warners asked him to, but the posts where he agreed with me stand), scholars of the film agreed with me, and many people who were at the screening of the D-5 digital master at the Academy agreed with me.

You don't, and that's fine - no need to get snippy about it.

On the Sunday of the Tony Awards, you posted that you were "laughing at my ravings" over "The Searchers" and "Oh! What A Lovely War!"

I think I merit a "snippy" retort now that you've dredged up your rant about "us" idiots again.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2007, 10:08:51 AM »

I see you've edited your post again.  My TV is just fine and transfers that have correct color look amazing on my TV (a 65" Mitsubishi hi-def tv).   Re The Searchers, many people who were raving about the new transfer posted screen caps and when compared to screencaps of the older transfer the color on the older transfer blew them away - not the sharpness, not the detail, just the color. And, on one forum, someone actually put a few frames from the new transfer into a sophisticated computer program and added blue to the screencaps and took out some of the yellow - and guess what - it was perfect.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2007, 10:10:33 AM »

...All in all, I had a good time. I left the theatre with a smile and what more can you ask for for $51.50 nowadays....
Well, for $52.86 I can get eight books over at Jessica's Biscuit, all but one of them in hardback.  (That's the next batch on my wish-list - get ready, der B, it's almost ordering time again!)

Given how much a trip to NYC can set us back, it doesn't sound like Young Frankenstein is going to get us to drive up.  Seeing two new musicals and a large number of friends, like we did on our last trip - that was priceless.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2007, 10:10:45 AM »

On the Sunday of the Tony Awards, you posted that you were "laughing at my ravings" over "The Searchers" and "Oh! What A Lovely War!"

I think I merit a "snippy" retort now that you've dredged up your rant about "us" idiots again.

I don't think you're an idiot.  I think you are not necessarily aware of what these transfers should look like, color-wise.  It's no crime.  Oh, What A Lovely War is a very nice transfer with very faded colors.  

You don't get greenish or yellowish anything because you have nothing to compare it to.  If I had never seen The Searchers, if I didn't know what that film should look like, had I never seen it projected in IB Tech, I'd be raving too, I have no doubt.  I rave about the sharpness - gorgeous sharpness.  Color?  As the Duke would say, "Not hardly."
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 10:13:50 AM by bk »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2007, 10:13:52 AM »

Taking a day off work? How will you keep up with HHW??
Lately it seems like my days off from work are the only days I get to catch up with HHW!

(Der B usually keeps me informed of the major stuff going on.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2007, 10:16:20 AM »

I had a rock bottom situation with Artie's last night: some idiot behind the counter got a bit of the macaroni salad mixed in with the rice pudding.  It was god-awful.
I can understand rice salad, but macaroni pudding just doesn't sound right.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2007, 10:19:24 AM »

So... Are Forty-Eight D's, the equivalent of Twenty-Four Double-D's?  Or Sixteen Triple-D'?  Or, god forbid, Twelve Quadruple-D's?
This is beginning to sound like something out of an inane and lustful sci-fi flick.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2007, 10:28:18 AM »

I am glad I watch ALL of my movies in b/w.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2007, 10:29:53 AM »

Hopefully DR GINNY's program is going well this morning.

It did, DR JRand!  15 people in attendance, all of whom had great questions and comments that led directly into the next thing in my script.  I love when that happens!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2007, 10:29:56 AM »

Is b/w short for Beautiful Wife, as in Earl Wilson's column?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2007, 10:31:32 AM »

It did, DR JRand!  15 people in attendance, all of whom had great questions and comments that led directly into the next thing in my script.  I love when that happens!

I love that, too.  I try to be that kind of audience!  Congrats!!  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2007, 10:32:02 AM »

Is b/w short for Beautiful Wife, as in Earl Wilson's column?

Not in column A or column B, either.  ;D

FJL

« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2007, 10:33:55 AM »

That's Earle, folks.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2007, 10:34:30 AM »

B/W stands for Bottom Width, something some of my customers should be more concerned about.  It does not go well with polyester.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2007, 10:35:45 AM »

We have had rain here in Rehoboth Beach.

Nothing torrential, just a nice wetness.

FJL

« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2007, 10:35:46 AM »

Or was it That's Earl, Brother?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »

The situation in California is one reason I'm glad I'm no longer living there.  Earthquakes never really bothered me, but brushfires scared the bejezus out of me.

When I was growing up, we could watch the brushfires across the San Fernando Valley from my parent's room (which had the best uninterrupted views), particularly at night.  Orange on black is so not my favorite color combination - no wonder Halloween doesn't thrill me much.

And it's a double whammy, because the odds are that there will be little in the way of rain between now and the torrential rains that come in the spring.  That'll mean mudslides, which can destroy whatever the fires missed.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2007, 10:49:19 AM »

Earl is what they drill fer in them desert places.

MBarnum

« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2007, 10:56:00 AM »

DR JRand, the only upcoming theatrical movies that I am aware of are some new releases of Bollywood films...and of those I am  very much looking forward to the John Abraham film NO SMOKING, which I hope will show on the big screen here. The ghost film BHOOL BHULAIYAA and the reincarnation comedy musical blockbuster OM SHANTI OM are both scheduled to play at theaters in November, and I am looking forward to seeing both of those as well.

I already own the CD soundtracks to all three films.

MBarnum

« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2007, 10:56:57 AM »

A Nice Wetness. That is the title of my next novel about assorted teenagers dreams.

MBarnum

« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2007, 10:57:22 AM »

That was rather unseemly, wasn't it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2007, 11:11:38 AM »

I hope dear Ron knows I wasn't trying to be antagonistic - color in film is something I'm passionate about, and something I'm pretty knowledgable about.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2007, 11:16:50 AM »

Unseemly, yes, but it brought back some wonderful memories!   ;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2007, 11:19:50 AM »

I hope dear Ron knows I wasn't trying to be antagonistic - color in film is something I'm passionate about, and something I'm pretty knowledgable about.

I know it is (color is your passion), I know you weren't (being antagonistic), and I love you to death no matter how snippy I get.

I'd love to see what you saw in the orignal showing of "Oh! What A Lovely War" because I love the way my DVD looks.  If the colors could pop even more, I'd certainly love to see that.  As it is, however, I don't see the colors as "faded" in this pristine (smooth edits, no dirt) transfer because they are consistent throughout to my eyes.  Perhaps "muted" is more what they are?

I'm quibbling and not arguing, though.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 11:23:19 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Cillaliz

« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2007, 11:20:24 AM »

Well I tried to call the vet this morning about Callie.  First I was put on hold for about 4-5 minutes. I hung up and called back and when she asked me to hold, I said I had been for about 5 minutes, She said "Well it will be a minute more" and put me on hold. After 2-3 minutes more, I hung up again and called back.  It was 7 minutes from when I really started paying attention.

This ordinarily could be excused, but then after I identified myself and she clearly didn't know a thing about Callie (who has been inpatient for a total of almost 5 days from mid September until now) I asked to speak with anyone familiar with her case. She said they were ALL in surgery.  So there wasn't a receptionist, a tech, not one employee who wasn't in surgery????   All I wanted to do was explain the symptoms and see if she needed to go in.  It didn't seem to me that explaining this to someone who knew nothing of her history made much sense, especially since I had to get to federal court.  

Anyway, it was the last straw.  I stopped on the way to work and picked up her file - the receptionist was nice enough to copy Boo's file too.  Then I asked around and made an appointment with a vet that was highly recommended by 2 different people I trust.  

So then I called and asked for Callie's x-rays, which they provided.  I just took them and left. Then I called back and said I wanted the vet to call me so I can explain to him why I'm getting a different vet.   There was this really long pause and then she said "I'll give him the message"  Bet she doesn't do it.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 11:25:46 AM by Cillaliz »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2007, 11:21:33 AM »

Reports are surfacing from some people who saw a screening of Sweeney Todd.  Though I'm suspicious of these reports, they are encouraging.  Of course, we had similar encouraging screening reports for Dreamgirls (which I found wanting), Rent, The Producers, etc.  But, I've felt from the beginning that Burton is at least a director who understands film and he's interesting visually.  Though I haven't really liked any of his films from the last decade, I think Sweeney has a shot.

Cillaliz

« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2007, 11:22:47 AM »

I am not one who normally breaks into tears, but it's happened 2 of the last 3 times I've dealt with these people. AND the first of the three times, I was told that I could drop Callie off but no one could see her until late afternoon. I did it and when the vet called he said she had gotten an enema at 10:00 AM!  So, the receptionist made me think Callie was suffering all day for no good reason.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2007, 11:23:09 AM »

I know it is (color is your passion), I know you weren't 9(being antagonistic), and I love you to death no matter how snippy I get.

I'd love to see what you saw in the orignal showing of "Oh! What A Lovely War" because I love the way my DVD looks.  If the colors could pop even more, I'd certainly love to see that.  As it is, however, I don't see the colors as "faded" in this pristine (smooth edits, no dirt) transfer because they are consistent throughout to my eyes.  Perhaps "muted" is more what they are?

I'm quibbling and not arguing, though.

Actually, "muted" is an apt description - it's just on the brown side, especially noticable because the whites aren't as white as they should be.  It wasn't that way originally.  I agree that the transfer is pristine in every other way.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up