Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SPREADING CHRISTMAS JOY LIKE A FUNGUS  (Read 43747 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:SPREADING CHRISTMAS JOY LIKE A FUNGUS
« Reply #150 on: December 22, 2004, 04:34:46 PM »

Dear reader Sandra gave me some candy, too.  I asked what kind, and she said "assorted" which I misheard as "sordid".  So, I have some sordid candies, which I may partake of later.

Be careful, bk! Eating one or two is impossible. I shouldn't admit this, no sir, but ours are gone. All gone. And DD ate very few. Abie ate none. Which would leave only one person. Yum.
DD was happy that I had so much. We're going to the Grove later to see MILLION DOLLAR BABY.  Lots of stores in the Grove. And she's hoping I'll still be on a chocolate high because I tend to be overly generous when I'm in that euphoric state.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #151 on: December 22, 2004, 04:36:55 PM »

MBarnum, Stuart, JRand, Jennifer, SWW, Danise, and Panni thanks for the much needed vibes.  Craig comes home tomorrow and we want her feeling much better.  She is moving and was able to take a short walk today.  She needs to eat more.

TCB what was in those red x boxes?  Thanks for the vibes.

Elmore, you are forgiven and Tomovoz you are not an Oaf.  :D I don’t always catch every post either.  In fact if I missed responding to anyone today I’m sorry.  I keep getting shut out of here and can’t be sure I returned to the same place I left off of.

Danise

« Reply #152 on: December 22, 2004, 04:37:37 PM »

Is traffic as bad this holiday season where other DRs live as it is here? Honestly, I don't want to leave the house and get into that snarl of cars, minivans, and SUVs.

DR Matt, you know I ride the bus and to be honest,  with school out, we're arriving in downtown about a half hour early.  

I don't go out at night.  Can you tell from the time I spend here on HHW?  I  only make a grocery/shopping run on Saturdays so I haven't noticed anything.   :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #153 on: December 22, 2004, 04:38:14 PM »

Panni the group picture is great and I wanted to take a piece of candy.  I wish I could have been there.

Jose I think it is wonderful you can be at your parents helping out.

Thank you Ann and congrats on the good news so far.  Continued good news vibes.

Danise

« Reply #154 on: December 22, 2004, 04:40:38 PM »

Or, to confuse Danise, G-flat! :-*

I  heard that!  ;D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #155 on: December 22, 2004, 04:40:56 PM »

Yes, I must...I really must!  (a Little Night Music reference!)

Just send me your address and if anyone else wants to watch it, you Ann could send it on to the next person, and whoever is the last to watch it could send it back to me...please!

George I can lend Danise mine, and do the same thing.  I just want to watch it first.  :)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #156 on: December 22, 2004, 04:42:03 PM »

Here we come a-waffle-ing... I nearly fell off my chair.  1.75 hours to "Phantom!!!!!"

Danise

« Reply #157 on: December 22, 2004, 04:44:12 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]BEST OF HEALING VIBES TO DD (DEAR DOG) ECHO!!![/move]

I got some good news today.  My doctor called and todl me that my blood test came back normal.  This, as she was quick to remind me, doesn't mean I'm in the clear...but it's a good sign. :)

Great news, DR Ann!  We'll take it and an all clear as well!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #158 on: December 22, 2004, 04:53:16 PM »

My parents also picked up The Harvey Girls on DVD the other weekend. Was Angela Lansbury's voice dubbed in this movie? I know it wasn't uncommon, but I have also never seen a performance by her at such a young age.

In that case, you simply must see Gaslight, young man.  It was Miss Lansbury's film debut, features several wonderful performances--especially by Miss Ingrid Bergman--and is a delicious film all around.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Danise

« Reply #159 on: December 22, 2004, 05:00:09 PM »

Just a FYI regarding the POTO movie.

Patrick Wilson is the son of one of our local newsmen.  

I'm still not sure if I want to go see the movie or not.  I'm very unhappy with what I've heard on the net.  The Phantom sounds horrible.  Just horrible.  

I guess I shall have to go so I can really have an opinion on it but I am dreading it.  

Thanks for the offer, DR Jane.  I don't want to put any kind of pressure on you--Please, just when ever you get around to it.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jay

« Reply #160 on: December 22, 2004, 05:03:25 PM »

(I should note that Miss Lansbury does not sing--dubbed or otherwise--in Gaslight.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: December 22, 2004, 05:04:47 PM »

I went to a fab memorabilia store today and picked up some mighty interesting things.  I got original picture sleeve 45s for Where the Boys Are and Whatever Happened to Baby Jane (very rare).  I got an original second draft script for Planet of the Apes, pre Michael Wilson's rewrite and save.  In this version, Heston is called Thompson instead of Taylor, and he dies at the end.  But I am happy to say that the film's final twist is indeed Mr. Rod Serling's, as it's there, almost as shot, in this second draft.  I also got a piece of sheet music from a noir called Dead Reckoning.  I also got four color stills from the Li'l Abner film, and two really cool black and white stills of Moonbeam McSwine and Eagle Eye Fleagle, each with the actor who plays the part along with the Al Capp drawing of the character.  I'd love to find the others in that set.  I also got a couple of paperbacks.  I also got a souvenir program in mint condition from Scent of Mystery, and also a still from Scent of Mystery.  They also had several interesting pieces of illustration art and portraiture art, including three paintings of stars that used to hang in the famous Wattles Mansion in Hollywood (the paintings hung, not the stars).  They were all by a fellow named Albert Rhodes, whose real name was Albert Rosenfelder, and who was apparently a huge benefactor for the Hollywood Heritage Museum - so much so that the gallery there is named after him.  I bought the original oil on canvas painting of Gloria Swanson, looking very Norma Desmond-esque.  I'll post a photo of it a little later.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #162 on: December 22, 2004, 05:08:52 PM »

WOAH - bk... happy holidays to you from you!!!  Very cool.  1.15 hours to "Phantom"!!!!  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: December 22, 2004, 05:11:19 PM »

Elmore, you are forgiven and Tomovoz you are not an Oaf.

You calling me an Oaf?  I resemble that.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: December 22, 2004, 05:12:44 PM »

In that case, you simply must see Gaslight, young man.  It was Miss Lansbury's film debut, features several wonderful performances--especially by Miss Ingrid Bergman--and is a delicious film all around.

Carla, where's the brooch?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #165 on: December 22, 2004, 05:14:32 PM »

TCB what was in those red x boxes?  Thanks for the vibes.
 Those were supposed to be smiley faces.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #166 on: December 22, 2004, 05:15:28 PM »

elmore-LOL

Danise, remind me next week about the DVD.  

Jane

« Reply #167 on: December 22, 2004, 05:16:10 PM »

Those were supposed to be smiley faces.

:D :D :D ;D

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #168 on: December 22, 2004, 05:29:32 PM »

DD seems to have fallen asleep (delayed jetlag). We'll see whether I can wake her to drive over the hill to the movie.
I just ate some popcorn. Now I don't have to spend $8. for it at the movie. Clever plan, eh? PRE-movie popcorn.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: December 22, 2004, 05:31:50 PM »

Darling daughter does nothing but sleep.  Slap that wazoo and get her up.  It's five-thirty, for heaven's sake.

I see Hisaka - a rose by any other name.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: December 22, 2004, 05:32:23 PM »

I am partaking of dear reader Sandra's most excellent sordid chocolates.

Jay

« Reply #171 on: December 22, 2004, 05:33:21 PM »

I, too, saw The Phantom of the Opera today, Dear Readers, and must report that I liked it less than I expected I would.

It was several of the technical aspects of the movie that got in the way of my enjoyment of the film:

Sound design--Everyone sounds exactly the same (which is fairly reverberent, especially the Phantom), whether they are speaking or singing in the opera house auditorium, in a small room, in what one might expect to be the echo-filled caverns beneath the opera house or on the grounds of a snow covered cemetery.

Set design and set decoration--A case of belief in the notion that more is more.  I never lost sight of the fact that these were built sets on a sound stage.  Never once did I think I was seeing a real opera house.  And such clutter!  At several points I had trouble finding the characters in the shot amongst all the tchotchkes.

Cinematography--This film, like many today, suffers from hyperactive camera, in which stationary shots are anathema.  Never is a scene shot directly when the camera can pass through three levels of the flies of the opera house (shades of Orson Welles) and then zoom across a catwalk before arriving at the characters in the shot.  The cumulative effect of all the circular shots, spiral shots and tracking shots in the film is a slight case of mal de mer.

Acting--This is subjective, of course, as is all of the above, but I didn't find any of the three leads very persuasive in their roles.  Miss Miranda Richardson was quite good, however, and I'm not sure it was acting, but it sure was fun watching Miss Minnie Driver chew up the scenery.  I found the singing all around passable.  Not bad, but not great, either.

One shameful bit that I don't know how to categorize--Jean Cocteau created an iconic cinematic image in Beauty and the Beast when he ordered up a hall lit by two rows of sconces held by human hands extending from the walls.  For Director Joel Schumacher to steal that image and then execute it rather poorly is, to state it plainly, pitiable.

There were things I did like.  The flashbacks from 1919 (in black and white) to the time of the story proper (in color) worked quite well.  The chandelier descent is rather spectacular.  The (brief)interpolation of the Phantom's backstory (for lack of a better term) provides some cohesiveness to the plot.  

A question:  given the degree to which Mr. Lloyd Weber and his librettists contributed to the content of POTO, is it not a tad pretentious for Mr. Joel Schumacher to use the "A Film By" credit?  Wouldn't "Directed By" have sufficed?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: December 22, 2004, 06:04:41 PM »

A lull.  Better watch out, or I will start excoriating.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: December 22, 2004, 06:22:59 PM »

A lull.  Better watch out, or I will start excoriating.
This East Coaster's been in a frenzy today, and when DRs George and Matthew return from POTO, we'll get some more opinions on the film.  I was just occupied with a holiday broadcast from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir with Fredrica von Stade and Bryn Terfel.  She's a neat lady, and Mr Terfel is one of my favorites.  There were some good arrangements as well.

DRJay, did your package ever arrive?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: December 22, 2004, 06:25:32 PM »

I ate up all my sordid candies.  Happily, they were all very small.

Jay

« Reply #175 on: December 22, 2004, 06:26:41 PM »

DRJay, did your package ever arrive?

I hope you know me well enough by now to know that if I received a package from you, Dear Reader elmore3003, I would have promptly acknowledged its receipt and thanked you effusively for it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: December 22, 2004, 06:43:31 PM »

I hope you know me well enough by now to know that if I received a package from you, Dear Reader elmore3003, I would have promptly acknowledged its receipt and thanked you effusively for it.

This is not good news!  Are you having postal problems in Pasadena?

Ginny

« Reply #177 on: December 22, 2004, 07:18:15 PM »

I was just occupied with a holiday broadcast from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir with Fredrica von Stade and Bryn Terfel.  She's a neat lady, and Mr Terfel is one of my favorites.  There were some good arrangements as well.

We enjoyed that program, too, while I baked my second variety of cookies (Pecan Nut Balls) and listened to the snow (it's now kind of crunchy).  They're now predicting storm totals of 12-20" in Dayton.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #178 on: December 22, 2004, 07:20:11 PM »

LOL but I know elmore worries about those packages not arriving after several dissapeared for awhile before arriving at there destination.  :)

elmore, this time of year mail can take longer than expected.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #179 on: December 22, 2004, 07:22:04 PM »

...At several points I had trouble finding the characters in the shot amongst all the tchotchkes....
What is the French word for Tchotchkes?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up