Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN  (Read 29215 times)

Cillaliz

Re:I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN
« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2006, 02:33:26 PM »

I've been a little negligent when it comes to the bath department (doggie's, not mine) -- and Abie hasn't had a bath in months. Today all that changed and he is positively glowing! Shield your eyes, here he comes...

He's looking good!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2006, 02:34:33 PM »

Funny thing is I can remember when male basketball players from school to the pros wore the tiniest, skimpiest shorts of any sport - very much short shorts. The overlong shorts they wear now look so odd to someone from my era who can remember the short lengths.

Things do tend to run in cycles, so I suspect they're eventually go back to be short at some future date.

I have read that the move from skimpy shorts to the baggy knee-length shorts was a result of Michael Jordan's liking to tug on his shorts when playing defense back in the early 1990s.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 02:45:58 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2006, 02:35:17 PM »

"Momoochie"?
Ah, yes, Momoochie.  That was the long-awaited sequel to all those Disney serials that Kevin Corcoran starred in, back in the late 50s/early 60s.  To see his children after his divorce, grown-up Moochie dresses himself up as a soccer mom and ends up coaching them to the league's championship.  Much hilarity ensues when he gives his biggest rival a magic ring, there's the whole circus sequence, and plenty of tears when the dog dies.  "Momoochies" have been a popular item ever since, sexy and scanty but suitable for the typically overweight suburban mom.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2006, 02:39:57 PM »

Sad but True:
HRH the Prince of Wales (aka Charles) told the bison/buffalo "joke" some years ago.  He thought it was funny!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #154 on: May 30, 2006, 02:41:28 PM »

Delightfully inventive DR SWW and quite possible!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 02:42:29 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #155 on: May 30, 2006, 02:47:27 PM »

I've been a little negligent when it comes to the bath department (doggie's, not mine) -- and Abie hasn't had a bath in months. Today all that changed and he is positively glowing! Shield your eyes, here he comes...

And shiny too!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #156 on: May 30, 2006, 03:02:00 PM »

Angie is resting comfortably downstairs, post-surgery.  We took Marty and Mikey along for their shots when we went to pick her up, and they were both very glad to see her.  She is, after all, a part of the family.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #157 on: May 30, 2006, 03:41:42 PM »

DR Jose (or any other NYC DRs) - have you been to the new Apple store at Fifth Avenue and 59th St.?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 03:46:58 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #158 on: May 30, 2006, 03:54:38 PM »

Beautiful view in the living room, TPunk.  By the way, have you read "There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom" yet?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #159 on: May 30, 2006, 04:09:50 PM »

A veritable treasure of DVDs arrived today...all from Deep Discount sales of recent weeks...

The one I most look forward to viewing is "Die! Die, My Darling!"

I don't know why.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #160 on: May 30, 2006, 04:28:40 PM »

Sad but True:
HRH the Prince of Wales (aka Charles) told the bison/buffalo "joke" some years ago.  He thought it was funny!

So did you.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #161 on: May 30, 2006, 04:32:17 PM »

Great to see TCB on line. Please don't overdo it again. May your day be as pain free as possible.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #162 on: May 30, 2006, 04:35:08 PM »

Not as funny as "a low buff" comment I read yesterday!
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #163 on: May 30, 2006, 04:43:47 PM »

Coincidence: I'm listening to Kenny Ball's version of "Bison Street Blues".  I'm having a Trad Jazz week.
James Thurber 1957

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #164 on: May 30, 2006, 04:46:33 PM »

Hey!  Welcome back to DR TCB!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #165 on: May 30, 2006, 04:49:07 PM »

I understand that we will soon be celebrating 200 years of buffalos in America.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #166 on: May 30, 2006, 05:13:06 PM »

I have seen pictures of the new Apple store but since I'm a Windows kinda guy I have not yet ventured in. Perhaps this weekend if the line is not as long as a block (or more). It is the flavor of the week. Perhaps all those people waiting to get into the Apple store also shop at Trader Joe's and now they won't be at Trader Joe's so I can get into THAT store. Ahh, the travails of living in New York.

Ben

« Reply #167 on: May 30, 2006, 05:18:09 PM »

I did not see any bison at the National Zoo in Washington, DC but I did see Sloth Bears and Elephants and Tree Shrews and Pandas and Cheetas and Prairie Dogs and Giraffes and Zebras and many, many other of our 4-legged brethren. We had a great time, spending almost 5 hours wandering and looking and relaxing. We got there just after 11am and left about 3:45. We then went over to Baskin Robbins and I had a Strawberry Blast (I believe that's what it's called) similar to a smoothie without the dairy, I believe. It's strawberry puree mixed with ice to form a slushy brain freeze kind of drink. Karen had a chocolate shake and David had one of those ice cream coffee concoctions. All in all it was a faboo afternoon!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: May 30, 2006, 05:40:27 PM »

Almost through the day without too much drama - less than anticipated.  One bit of drama I simply decided not to have - not worth it, really.  I'll just do what I need to do slowly.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #169 on: May 30, 2006, 05:41:05 PM »

I just got back to work from walking down to the bank...with the wonderful weather it reminded me of the day I walked from Battery Park to Elmores home environment...the day was so beautiful and I was having such a blast!

I miss NY (and the NYorkers)
and we miss you!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #170 on: May 30, 2006, 05:45:00 PM »

Sad but True:
I was wondering who  I heard it from!

(from whom I heard it?)

vixmom

« Reply #171 on: May 30, 2006, 05:47:00 PM »

Beautiful view in the living room, TPunk.  By the way, have you read "There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom" yet?

The Vixter read this.  She said that the ending was "sweet" but wondered " why he didn't send the bear too"

vixmom

« Reply #172 on: May 30, 2006, 05:47:16 PM »

Ddi that previous post require a Spoiler?

vixmom

« Reply #173 on: May 30, 2006, 05:48:38 PM »

Just got on and now the Vixter wants to type her English homework so, laters!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #174 on: May 30, 2006, 05:53:17 PM »

Gosh, the phone just rang and it was someone polling folks for who they're going to vote for in the mayoral primaries.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #175 on: May 30, 2006, 05:54:06 PM »

i've gotten tons of paper over the past few weeks...all campaign-related.  I'm very resentful of all the wasted trees....and for the fact that I have to dispose of the paper products.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 05:56:49 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #176 on: May 30, 2006, 05:54:34 PM »

It's a nice cool late afternoon here in Oakland.

Should be good sleeping tonight.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #177 on: May 30, 2006, 05:55:16 PM »

DR Jose (or any other NYC DRs) - have you been to the new Apple store at Fifth Avenue and 59th St.?

Yes, I have - I went Opening Weekend - but not Opening Day since the lines were crazy long.  -However, since they were giving away a free computer every hour on the hour for the first 24 hours...

It's very nice, and very big.  And all underground, and, yes, it is open 24 hours.  Since it is an Apple Store, there are not really any more different products on display, just more of each item/product.  However, the new store does claim to have the biggest Genius Bar of all the currently open Apple Stores.

Note to DR Ben - The lines may seem a block long now, but they're really not - It's all a part of controlling the traffic flow between FAO Schwartz and the Apple Store since they share the same plaza.

OH!  And getting into Trader Joe's is not that bad now either.  However, getting out of Trader Joe's is a different story.  However, they do have at least 20 check out counters, so...  Now if they could just replenish the shelves more often.  -Especially since their wine shop next door always seems to be well-stocked.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #178 on: May 30, 2006, 05:56:13 PM »

Some other DVDs in today's mail...Last Picture Show, A Man for All Seasons, The Front, It Should Happen to You, Silverado 2-disc gift set (it was dirt cheap), Tess, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, The Howards of Virginia and Experiment in Terror.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #179 on: May 30, 2006, 05:56:27 PM »

OK - Off to dinner... finally...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up