Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: FRIJOLES MUERTE  (Read 20182 times)

Michael

Re:FRIJOLES MUERTE
« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2006, 05:31:51 PM »

I have a question for Elmoore.

I was  looking through the lyrics of Frank Loesser and noticed that there were a lot more cut/drop songs than I thought they were.

Was there ever any consideration recording more of the cut songs that were recorded for the JAY complete recording?
Never stop dreaming.

jhvw

« Reply #181 on: August 16, 2006, 05:39:16 PM »

I was reading through earlier posts and saw someone mention what the most beautiful word in the english language was. I remember the phrase "cellar door" from a movie Donnie Darko. I don't know why, but it does sound pretty to me.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #182 on: August 16, 2006, 05:41:20 PM »

Now, I am depressed!  I am only four years younger than TPunk's mother

HA TCB !!  You think you're depressed.....I'm older than her mother!

MusicGuy

« Reply #183 on: August 16, 2006, 05:44:18 PM »

MusicGuy- Have a good time out in England. They love their Ken Griffin out there. Ashley Tappan's a Brit, yeah?

Well DR Rodz....you stumped me with "Ashley Tappan."  I know quite a few of both the older and the younger organists in Britain, but not Tappan.

Ben

« Reply #184 on: August 16, 2006, 05:44:24 PM »

Hey, jhvw,

Hairspray the Musical is not as warped as Hairspray the John Waters film but it's still a lot of fun and John Waters was very accessible and eager to help make the transfer from film to musical stage successful. I don't know how the show plays now since it's been running quite a while but I saw it during the first months and loved it. It's almost always on the half-price booth and even if it's not, you can get tickets easily.

I saw the movie Hairspray in Paris in August of 1988. We were the only Americans in the theatre and we were laughing so hard people turned to look at us. It didn't work as well with subtitles.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: August 16, 2006, 05:44:48 PM »

I have a question for Elmoore.

I was  looking through the lyrics of Frank Loesser and noticed that there were a lot more cut/drop songs than I thought they were.

Was there ever any consideration recording more of the cut songs that were recorded for the JAY complete recording?

DR Michael S, I'm a bit confused by your question, but I'm assuming you're talking about the complete MOST HAPPY FELLA?  Outside of the song Jo sang, everything else came from the 1956 score before drastic rewrites out of town, and there were Don Walker orchestrations for all of it.  The only thing I thought we were recording and didn't was the family quarrel stretto for the Doctor and Chorus leading into "I'll Buy Everybody a Beer."

DR jhvw, it's nice to have a face to go with your initials.  I think you'd love HAIRSPRAY.  I, of course, am waiting for the musical version of DESPERATE LIVING.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 05:45:45 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MusicGuy

« Reply #186 on: August 16, 2006, 05:49:05 PM »

I just now stumbled across playbill, and I was wondering if anyone has seen Hairspray. I'm a huge John Waters fan and wonder if it's a little warped like his movies tend to be. I love that kind of stuff.

DR JH -- By all means.....

GO SEE HAIRSPRAY --  GO SEE HAIRSPRAY !!

It is great fun, lot sof broad humor, and some great tunes that actually have a melody that can be remembered 2 hours later!

jhvw

« Reply #187 on: August 16, 2006, 05:50:06 PM »

DR Ben, too bad it's not as warped, but I'd still like to see it. DR Michael, a musical version of Desperate Living would really be something. Or mabye a version of Pink Flamingos. Thank god for the internet that I'm able to get my hands on stuff like that to watch. On a different note, there's a movie director Greg Araki that has a movie called "Totally F***ed Up" that I've been looking for forever. I saw it once when I was in LA but it was like $40 for a used VHS, and there was no way I was paying that. Anyway, time to go back to work, the news is calling me.

MusicGuy

« Reply #188 on: August 16, 2006, 05:52:26 PM »

Dear Esteemed, punctual, precise, and Tonto-like BK --

I have still seen no evidence of my official HHW "Hall Pass" as yet.  I forgot to mention that, of course, I shall take my large jar of bitter herbs with me, as I am still in forced atonement for my long E & T period.

Lucky for me, all of my bitter herbs are dried, and therefore qualify as neither liquid nor gel at the airport !!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 05:53:39 PM by MusicGuy »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #189 on: August 16, 2006, 05:53:09 PM »

JHVW-It’s nice to see you. :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #190 on: August 16, 2006, 05:54:09 PM »

I think I'll do the remainder of the short story corrections tomorrow.  Tonight, my music guy is coming over to record the new Brain song, plus a little four-line intro to another Brain song - then he can notate and get them to elmore who, I'm quite sure, will not be waiting until the last minute to begin orchestrating.  Each time I play the new song I'm happier with it and I think I finally got the ending the way I want.

Ginny

« Reply #191 on: August 16, 2006, 05:57:39 PM »

Oh, nice to see your photo, DR jhvw!

As for shows, Hairspray is fun and has more of a message than I'd expected.  I saw it two years ago in NY along with The Producers.  This past January, my DH and I saw Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, and Rent.  I'd recommend any/all.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #192 on: August 16, 2006, 06:00:05 PM »

Anybody here have a connection that might be able to help us get house seats for The Light in the Piazza or Spamalot when they play the Aronoff Center in Cincinnati in September and October, respectively?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #193 on: August 16, 2006, 06:01:26 PM »

I'd love to see Hairspray on Broadway!  A national tour (non-equity, I'd assume...Olympia never gets the high priced stuff ::)) is coming to town next May!  I'll be able to usher for it and see it for free!  I can't wait! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #194 on: August 16, 2006, 06:03:17 PM »

I have an Ask BK Day question!  The set up:  when you are in the process of recording a CD (such as "Simply Sondheim," the 2 CD live recording from last year’s San Francisco birthday tribute to your close personal friend) you've talked about it here, but nothing is shown on the www.kritzerland.com site, and won't be until you're ready to take pre-orders.  Then, you'll list it right there at the top of the homepage, like Kevin Spirtas' DVD is right now.  However, you have a link for "upcoming releases," but every time that I've checked, nothing has ever been listed there...ever.  It's pretty much just a blank page.

The actual question:  why have the link there or do you eventually plan to talk about upcoming projects on www.kritzerland.com before accepting pre-orders?  Just curious. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #195 on: August 16, 2006, 06:14:17 PM »

How very sad that just two months after Patsy Ramsey's death, they finally arrest a suspect in JonBenet's murder.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: August 16, 2006, 06:14:19 PM »

I have an Ask BK Day question!  The set up:  when you are in the process of recording a CD (such as "Simply Sondheim," the 2 CD live recording from last year’s San Francisco birthday tribute to your close personal friend) you've talked about it here, but nothing is shown on the www.kritzerland.com site, and won't be until you're ready to take pre-orders.  Then, you'll list it right there at the top of the homepage, like Kevin Spirtas' DVD is right now.  However, you have a link for "upcoming releases," but every time that I've checked, nothing has ever been listed there...ever.  It's pretty much just a blank page.

The actual question:  why have the link there or do you eventually plan to talk about upcoming projects on www.kritzerland.com before accepting pre-orders?  Just curious. :)

The Upcoming Release page has proven difficult because the webdesigner is very busy and I just gave up trying to deal with it.  When we have several titles upcoming, then we'll get some things on it.  And just for the sake of accuracy: I didn't record the Simply Sondheim tribute.  I'm only releasing it and had/have nothing to do with its recording or mixing (other than giving my fifty-eight cents worth about the sound).  

jhvw

« Reply #197 on: August 16, 2006, 06:17:19 PM »

I work at a TV station, we've been hearing about the Ramsey murder all day. When I first started working here it was great to always be caught up on the news, but now it gets kind of tedious. And during the summer we end up running the same news 3 times a day, and that can get REALLY old.

George

« Reply #198 on: August 16, 2006, 06:19:08 PM »

Thanks for the info. :D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #199 on: August 16, 2006, 06:39:29 PM »

Anybody here have a connection that might be able to help us get house seats for The Light in the Piazza or Spamalot when they play the Aronoff Center in Cincinnati in September and October, respectively?

I might be able to get PIAZZA house seats for you through the Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization, since i'm doing some work for this this autumn.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #200 on: August 16, 2006, 06:47:04 PM »

DR Michael S, I'm a bit confused by your question, but I'm assuming you're talking about the complete MOST HAPPY FELLA?  Outside of the song Jo sang, everything else came from the 1956 score before drastic rewrites out of town, and there were Don Walker orchestrations for all of it.  The only thing I thought we were recording and didn't was the family quarrel stretto for the Doctor and Chorus leading into "I'll Buy Everybody a Beer."

DR jhvw, it's nice to have a face to go with your initials.  I think you'd love HAIRSPRAY.  I, of course, am waiting for the musical version of DESPERATE LIVING.

I'm sorry.

Yes I was talking about The Most Happy Fella. I forgot to mention that.
Some of the cut songs that I meant were:
How About Tonight (Act 1 Scene1)
Love Letter (Act 1 Scene1)
So Busy (Act 1 Scene1)
Is It Really Real & Wanted To Be Wanted (Act 1 Scene1)
Which were all "recorded as a demo" and released on the CD An Evening with Frank Loesser

Joe's Entrance (Act 1 Scene 2)
I'm A No Wanna (Act 1 Scene 2)
Collar Incident (Act 1 Scene 3)
Six O'Clock Train (Act 1 Scene 3)
Marie & Doc (Act 1 Scene 4)
Aren't You Glad Tag (Act 1 Scene 4)
Such A Pretty Picture [Extended No Home, No Job & segued into earlier version of Don't Cry] (Act 1 Scene 4)
Doctor's Don't Tell You Everything (Act 2 Scene 3)
They're Throwing a Party (Act 2 Scene 5)

The other cut songs were recorded on Jay
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #201 on: August 16, 2006, 06:56:45 PM »

I might be able to get PIAZZA house seats for you through the Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization, since i'm doing some work for this this autumn.

You know who's touring as the mother, don't you?  Christine Andreas, who you and I saw as Laurie back in 1980 at the Palace.  Remember?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: August 16, 2006, 06:58:25 PM »

I'm sorry.

Yes I was talking about The Most Happy Fella. I forgot to mention that.
Some of the cut songs that I meant were:
How About Tonight (Act 1 Scene1)
Love Letter (Act 1 Scene1)
So Busy (Act 1 Scene1)
Is It Really Real & Wanted To Be Wanted (Act 1 Scene1)
Which were all "recorded as a demo" and released on the CD An Evening with Frank Loesser

Joe's Entrance (Act 1 Scene 2)
I'm A No Wanna (Act 1 Scene 2)
Collar Incident (Act 1 Scene 3)
Six O'Clock Train (Act 1 Scene 3)
Marie & Doc (Act 1 Scene 4)
Aren't You Glad Tag (Act 1 Scene 4)
Such A Pretty Picture [Extended No Home, No Job & segued into earlier version of Don't Cry] (Act 1 Scene 4)
Doctor's Don't Tell You Everything (Act 2 Scene 3)
They're Throwing a Party (Act 2 Scene 5)

The other cut songs were recorded on Jay

I have no answers on why they were not recorded, but my guess is, once again, they never made the rehearsal score of 1956 when the show was orchesrated so there were no orchestrations for them.  The show that went out of town was not the show that came back; there was a lot of reshaping on the road

"Wanting to be Wanted" is on the recording.  Jo wanted to sing it.  Unfortunately, she didn't like my orchestration.  Even though she had a week of sessions to listen to it and let me make adjustments, she postponed it till the last session.  Later, she had problems with it, and I've never had an orchestration request from the Loesser office again.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: August 16, 2006, 07:00:18 PM »

You know who's touring as the mother, don't you?  Christine Andreas, who you and I saw as Laurie back in 1980 at the Palace.  Remember?

Christine's a nice lady.  I can't remember if I ever done any work for her, but we have worked on a couple of concerts together.  I last saw her at a mixing session of her recording saluting various stars.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #204 on: August 16, 2006, 07:04:19 PM »

elmore has just achieved 6000 postings.

Ginny

« Reply #205 on: August 16, 2006, 07:07:23 PM »

Congratulations, DR Elmore!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #206 on: August 16, 2006, 07:08:23 PM »

Do I get a sparkling prize?

Ginny

« Reply #207 on: August 16, 2006, 07:09:09 PM »

Now, I am depressed!  I am only four years younger than TPunk's mother

So am I, DR TCB.  But I know a couple of people who will soon be the same age as DR TPunk's mother.  One of them is a beloved DR and I'm married to the other.

Ginny

« Reply #208 on: August 16, 2006, 07:09:54 PM »

Do I get a sparkling prize?

I've been wondering the same thing since I won the Unseemly Trivia Contest a few weeks ago.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #209 on: August 16, 2006, 07:26:00 PM »

OK, MusicGuy, you got a big laugh from me when I read about your bitter herbs being dried and not liquid or gel! Yes, I was flying last Thursday, fortunately heard the news from a friend who was kind enough to phone, and was able to sqeeze all my liquid and gel items into an already-full suitcase. What disorganization at LAX! I hope your trip goes smoothly! Thanks for the laugh.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up