Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: NOBODY HERE BUT US CHICKENS  (Read 26863 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
NOBODY HERE BUT US CHICKENS
« on: November 12, 2003, 12:02:47 AM »

Now that you've read the notes you know all the things I spoke about, and so feel free to comment on them and the topic of disussion - and yes, I mean disussion and those who skipped the notes won't know what the hell I'm talking about.  

So, let's see if we can shatter some more records, shall we?  We are on a natural high here, I tell you or, at the very least, a Rocky Mountain high.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 12:17:00 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:NOBODY HERE BUT US CHICKENS
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2003, 12:14:30 AM »

Now that we know about Bk's fractured psyche I wondered who else out there had had broken bones and fractures or did you all escape that part of childhood when falling from playground equipment and trees seemed to be the norm. It seems an appropriate topic after the mentions of fractured fairytales yesterday. For myself, a broken nose was it.These days it seems that parents want to blame someone if their child is injured through "play". When I was a child it was seen as part of life and we all got on with living without the necessity of blaming and taking legal action.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2003, 02:47:45 AM »

Is that like the Fractured Flickers we were talking about yesterday?  I will join the disussion directly.

No broken bones for me!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 08:33:11 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2003, 03:52:56 AM »

Question me an answer bright and clear.

I will answer with a question clear and bright.

Even though your answer may be wrong my question will be right.

Question me an answer.

Answer with a question.

They say knowledge makes you free.

Question me an answer if you please.

I will answer with a question if I can.

Let me show you just how I became an educated man.

Question me an answer.

Answer with a question.

If you wanna' know, if you wanna' hear, if you wanna' see,

question me an answer.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 03:54:55 AM by MDS »
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2003, 04:37:29 AM »

Here is your Allison Hayes pic of the day....the real cause of the electrical blackout on the east coast earlier this year!  ;D
I am looking for another icon to replace my Company album....so as the day goes on, some strange things may show up to the left of my posts.  Just ignore them, if they don't work, they will go away.  Thank you!  :D

I did add my AIM nickname.  Thanks, Mr Mark Bakalor for fixing that "Profile" bug!  8)

My question for DR MDS, why did they choose THOSE composers for that movie?

My first question for ASK BK day - did you listen to the Rosalind Russell tracks on the Gypsy soundtrack yet?  If so....what do you think?  (I don't have my copy yet).

Michael

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2003, 04:45:55 AM »

My question for DR MDS, why did they choose THOSE composers for that movie?

Why not?
or
Do you think any other composer or composer/lyricist could have done better?
or
Do you really think it needed to be a musical?
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2003, 04:54:53 AM »

I guess I didn't really think it needed to be musicalized.  The first reel or so is almost a shot for shot remake of the original, the cast is great and it is very exciting - and even the first number which is a dancing type of thing with Olivia Hussey doesn't break the mood too much - but after that....   :P

I guess the music just seems so seventies to me and the choreography is so retro!  The sentiments of the songs are okay....I don't know.  I guess it is the second choice you gave me - if they had just kept on with a non-musical remake, I might have liked it better, because it starts out fine.  8)

As to who else?  Hmmmmmmmmm......well Ross Hunter had used Jimmy Van Heusen, Andre Previn, Elmer Bernstein, and Jay Thompson to write some music for Thoroughly Modern Millie - so maybe some guys like that...or Henry Mancini....  I would be interested in some other DR's opinions on this.    ;D

What do YOU think MDS?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 04:55:33 AM by JRand53 »

Danise

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2003, 05:03:18 AM »

Good Morning all!

I'm typing this before I leave for classs.  I'm really looking forward to this one==Digital Photography.  I won’t be back in the office, proper until Friday!  Yay!  But thinking about all the work I’ll have piled up.......   Well, I just look at it as job security

As far as broken bones, I only have one.  My right pointer finger.  Slammed my hand in a car door and every finger was one over( if you can picture that) when I pulled it out..  Without thinking, I immediately put everything back in it’s original position.  No, it didn't hurt when I did that because it was done so fast, the pain hadn't set in yet.  

A month later my one finger kept hurting so I took a trip to the Dr.  I found I did a good job for the most part.  They could have fixed my finger by re breaking it but I declined.    

Jennifer, I await your comments on that joke with bated breath.  

Gotta run.  I’ll be home early.  Double yay!  I’ll think up a question or two by then.

Have a safe and happy day.  Even you lurkers.  Cracked or not.

D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 02:55:21 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ben

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2003, 05:22:03 AM »

Wow, you go to bed a fully confirmed Senior Member and wake up to discover shards covering the living room floor from all the records broken during the night. My, my, my, what a night you folks had.

Luckily I have never had a broken bone or even a sprain. I was in the hospital for an operation when I was 14 and two years ago I had to have another procedure to clear away polyps in my sinuses but otherwise, I've been healthy.

JRand, you're channeling Annette right now, correct? I remember we used to call her Annette Fullajello. We were kids and it made us laugh!

Hope TCB has solved the problem with instant messages throwing him out of the system. I received his message last night with no problem. I hope my response to him didn't kick him out.

Emily, did you have the Santa hat on your avatar all the time or is that a new addition? BTW, thanks for the offer to "visit" Jennifer but I think we can let her go on her merry way. She shall reach her goal sometime today and that's all we really care about, right? Not who reached it first, right? It's just important that we were both part of a record breaking day yesterday, right? Of course, right (Fiddler reference).

I have no questions for either side right now. Maybe later.

Back to the printouts.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2003, 06:12:28 AM »

Jrand - Your new member picture is veryflattering!

BK - If you make a typo before posting why not just correct it instead of pointing it out?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2003, 06:18:44 AM »

LOL - thanks DR WEL.  I've always thought, if you 're blessed with an abundance of hair, you should wear it all on one side of your head!

And you know, Annette would have been much richer today, but WDP deducted $50 from a Mouseketeer paycheck each time a set of "ears" was lost!

Don't know about channeling, DR Ben, but it seemed to be about the right size!  And we had fun with her name, too.  My favorite tragic rumor when I was in the fifth grade, was that several Mouseketeers had been killed in a roller coaster accident at Disneyland.  It was the talk of the playground, but no newspaper carried the story!  My brother said it was because the show was in reruns!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 06:19:13 AM by JRand53 »

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2003, 07:06:56 AM »

On behalf of my friend, David Friedman, I am posting the following email in response to the rumor that his show is in danger of closing:

Dear Craig,

Yes, unfortunately, it's true. My show "Listen To My Heart - The Songs of David Friedman" at Upstairs at Studio 54" is in great danger of closing.  We need to sell 600 tickets by the beginning of the weekend or Sunday will be our last day. People are loving the show but we haven't had the proper promotion and now that we've figured out how to market the show, we don't have the necessary revenue to  do the advertising we need. There are so many people who are getting on board in support of us, Joey Reynolds, Allie Wentworth, John Edward, Gail Sheehy, Jonathan Schwartz, and audiences have been fantastically enthusiastic, but, as my own song says "now the only thing we really need is time."  Our promotional efforts will take a few weeks to put in place, and the only way we can stay alive is by an infusion of cash or grass roots ticket sales.

The online community and the cabaret community have always been my biggest supporters, in fact they're the reason my music is known at all, so we see them as our only chance to make it through this week and the next few until our wider audience can build sufficiently to sustain the show. So if anyone is even remotely thinking of coming to the show, please do it today. And come backstage and meet me afterward and let me know that you came because of talkin' Broadway.

Tickets are $60 for the best center seats, but a $25 ticket can be had (they're a little more on the side but you can see from anywhere in this small theater) by visiting  Telecharge.com or calling (212) 239-6200 and giving them
Code #LHDFEM9.

Thanks so much for your email and offer of support. I'm praying that this comes through, I've never done something I've loved as much as this in my life, and the chance to spend every evening with a group of people sharing my songs is a dream come true.

Best,

David Friedman

MBarnum

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2003, 07:36:08 AM »

No broken bones thus far in my life! Thank goodness and knock on wood!

BK, I too am fully enjoying the YOU BET YOUR LIFE DVD set. I watched several episodes last night and laughed till I cried! Some very interesting people show up on that show! Keep a look out for Tarzan Gordon Scott and Mr. Universe Reg Lewis (whose interview is running in the new Scarlet Street magazine). My favorite episode thus far was the one with Mrs. Mary Futernick of N.C. the rotund woman who was allergic to flowers, who loved to sing, and who wanted to play the piano (but Groucho didn't have one)! And the stag reel had me in stiches!!!!

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2003, 07:40:37 AM »

Good morning!

Wow....congrats everyone on shattering the record last night!  Although I wish I could have helped you...that's my own karma for being errant and truant, right!  ;)

The dress rehearsal for Macbeth went very well, and we're actually going to be reviewed by the Washington Post in a couple of days, which I was SO not expecting.  Tomorrow is opening night...today though I have to bother with mundane boring things like class!

Tom--I've never had a broken bone, although I have sprained various parts of my body, including my back.  That is the worst, I think.

Ben and Jen--I love that we have our own Bennifer here at HHW!  You guys' post-race is so much more interesting than anything I could read about two other people who happen to have your names.

BK--Reading about the Gypsy soundtrack made me think about how much I wish Merman had done the movie.  What stars do you wish had recreated their original roles in films of musicals, rather than having been replaced by established movie stars?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2003, 07:45:55 AM »

Luckily for me, no broken bones here either, and the last operation I had was at age 5 to have my tonsils removed. Count me one of the lucky ones.

I remember at the very end of the MAD Magazine parody of HUSH HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE, the character of Annette Funnyjello took off her disguise, picked up her ax, and started to murder all the old ladies of the cast since their horror movies were outgrossing her Beach Party movies by a substantial margin. I thought that was a hilarious way to end that parody.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2003, 08:01:10 AM »

DR Ron - your video is on its way.  Do you want a synopsis, or do you want to be surprised?

LOL DR MattH - that's a Mad Movie parody I missed!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 08:01:31 AM by JRand53 »

Emily

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2003, 08:02:21 AM »

Good morning!

Cheers to Ben for being the ONLY DR to make reference to my new "seasonal" pic! :)

Yesterday I was walking through Place Ville Marie - a local shopping/business area downtown for those of you who aren't MDS, Jennifer or Andrea -  on my way to the métro and experienced something amazing.  I witnessed (drumroll please) the "official" start of the Christmas season!

I'm walking through the place with about a gazillion other people and all of a sudden the canned Celine Dion music is switched off for about five blissful seconds.  Then, what comes blaring over the speakers but a full horn rendition of "Hark the Herald Angels Sing"!  People groaned I tell ya (except for me, b/c that's my favorite christmas carol)

Christmas is here.  Let the shopping begin! (I can be so materialistic this time of the year!) :)

My Question to BK and all DRs (I'm killing two bird with one stone):

If you could travel to anywhere in the world that you have NEVER been before, where would it be?

I want to go to Turkey.  I don't really know where my obsession with Turkey came from, but it just sounds exotic enough without being totally dangerous :)  
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2003, 08:06:30 AM »

Oh... I nearly forgot.

Good morning Craig! ;)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 08:06:44 AM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2003, 08:08:43 AM »

It may be just us chickens here - but we are talented chickens!

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2003, 08:09:32 AM »

Good question, DR Emily, and an easy one for me: London. I've never been and have always wanted to go, but I want to share it with someone special in my life, and the timing just hasn't been right for that yet.

DR JRand: the parody was entitled HACK, HACK, SWEET HAS-BEEN. I have some of my old MAD magazines around here. Let me see if I've got that one.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2003, 08:12:33 AM »

WEL: Because it is more fun to point out the errors than correct them.  And I'm all about fun, as everyone knows.

MDS: Bacharach and David were most likely chosen because a) they were incredibly successful pop songwriters, and b) they'd just come off a huge hit Broadway musical.

I would go to England - shockingly, I've never been.  Then it would probably be Japan.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2003, 08:16:27 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]SPELLING IS DEFUNCT.
                       --Aleister Crowley[/move]

Now, the "Great Beast 666" may have given us the great quote above (which definitely applies to another site we can all name), but, call me psycho (and you wouldn't be the first to!), I think spelling is important.  My mother, for example, once lost the state spelling bee when she misspelled her own first name, which she just happened to randomly get as a spelling word in the contest.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ben

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2003, 08:16:59 AM »

I have never been to the Far East. A dear friend worked at Tokyo Disney and makes Japan and Tokyo sound like a fascinating place. I would vote for Japan right now.

Good~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Vibes

Good Vibes for David's show. I'm a David Friedman fan. I saw the show and was quite taken with it. Alix Korey is both moving and hysterical in her performances. I even reviewed the show for BBC Radio Wales. The review hasn't aired yet. It should be on in the next couple of weeks. A lot of good that will do them. I don't think the Welsh will fly over to NYC to see the show anytime soon.

Here's a link to the site. You can hear Nancy LaMott singing some of David's songs.

http://www.listentomyheartsite.com/

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2003, 08:17:03 AM »

Emily.. the Karma fairy has visited you :)  hello right back!!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2003, 08:31:38 AM »

Good morning all!  
Broken bones...well, I was one of those tomboy girls who was always injuring something.  Both arms have been broken, although not at the same time.  The first was my right arm by falling out of a tree when I was eight.  That was the worse of the two because I broke both of the bones.  It was also bad timing because I was about to go in for one of my operations.  The second was two years later when I was 10, roller skating at a rink.  I was a speed demon back then and a took a corner too fast and broke my left arm.  Thankfully nothing has been broken recently.  
Off to class...bye everyone!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2003, 08:34:37 AM »

Now that we know about Bk's fractured psyche I wondered who else out there had had broken bones and fractures or did you all escape that part of childhood when falling from playground equipment and trees seemed to be the norm.

I never broke any bones, but I do remember riding a bike down a big hill and falling and scraping my face really badly.  I must have been about 8 or 9 years old.  My mom drove me to and from the army hospital and I kept a washcloth over my face because I thought that my face was too horrible for people to look at...it wasn't.  And the "accident" didn't keep me off of bikes, which was a good thing.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2003, 08:38:18 AM »

Has anyone heard about the new book by Barry Singer called EVER AFTER? I've taken the book description from Amazon's site and reprinted it below. Is he an author I should know or respect?

"Ever After is more than a detailed show-by-show history of the last quarter century in American musical theater. It explains how the storied Broadway tradition in many cases went so very wrong. Singer takes the reader behind the scenes for an unparalleled look at A Chorus Line's final bow, the creation of Rent, the real people behind Disney's uber-musicals, and even an afternoon with Andrew Lloyd Webber.Ever After also celebrates the promise of the next generation of young musical theater artists, especially Adam Guettel, Michael John LaChiusa, Ricky Ian Gordon and Jason Robert Brown, addressing not only their work to date, but their future projects.There is no other book currently available that covers this period and subject. Through his work for The New York Times, Singer has interviewed virtually everyone of significance. They are all here, very much speaking for themselves. Ever After is both anecdotal and analytical, featuring personality profiles of important creative figures, from Jule Styne to Stephen Sondheim to Jonathan Larson, while critically evaluating all of the many musicals produced during the past 25 years.Sure to generate debate, this is a book written not only for the musical theater aficionado, but for anyone who has seen the musical or even just enjoyed the movie version of Chicago and is curious to know more. "

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2003, 08:50:42 AM »

Hmmmmmmmm...never heard of the book DR MATT.  But, then, I live in Indiana.  Sounds interesting though.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2003, 08:51:00 AM »

Dear BK:  What is the difference between a fractured psyche and a fractured psycho?

Answer: Wit, celebrity, talent, friends, fans, and being discussed in other forums.

The only way the fractured psycho can get attention is to disrespect his betters.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2003, 08:51:26 AM »

Jrand53:  A question about your evening with Dame Edna!

Did you all sing the "Friends of Kenny" song?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up