Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: NOBODY HERE BUT US CHICKENS  (Read 26866 times)

Tomovoz

Re:NOBODY HERE BUT US CHICKENS
« Reply #210 on: November 12, 2003, 06:32:57 PM »

The original is even more blurred TCB - But probably just as seedy - which should be an asset to some.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #211 on: November 12, 2003, 06:39:32 PM »

Dear BK --   Thanks for the answer to the G.H. question.  I found your choices interesting, because "When You're Alone" may be just about at the top of my list, as far as Guy's offerings.

MusicGuy

« Reply #212 on: November 12, 2003, 06:45:14 PM »

Oops...( or Spoo)... :o

I forgot to answer the  "most unusual job" question.

Just out of high school, and on my own for the first time, I took a night job with a company that a friend of mine owned.  It was called a "Mortuary Accomodation Service."  He also was a pretty good amateur organist but wanted me to teach him further.

So, in the early evening I would coach him and give him playing tips at the organ.....and then between midnight and 6:00 AM, I was on call to go out and pick up the bodies of folks who had passed away, and take them to whichever mortuary they were assigned to.

Yep, pretty unusual........

Michael

« Reply #213 on: November 12, 2003, 07:14:54 PM »

Has anyone got the new release of How to Succeed??  I have a couple of questions The two jazz cuts were they taken from Jazz Albums (like BK has done) of the score or individual cuts from albums?

Also on Robert Morse How to Song: His vocal seem to buried in th orchestra. Does anyone remember being like that on the first cd or lp release?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #214 on: November 12, 2003, 07:23:45 PM »

And DR. Tom from Oz

Thank you for the womderful photo calendar. It arrived today. just gorgeous.

Thanks
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #215 on: November 12, 2003, 07:30:07 PM »

A pleasure Michael. I derive such joy from the Sondheim etc.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #216 on: November 12, 2003, 07:30:13 PM »

Welcome back Swishy Sarah.  Great job on your grades!
Since my second favorite pastime, next to hiking, is reading I would have found that to be a very interesting job.  I once sat for around eight children.  I started with three and the numbers just kept growing.  They were all horrible and bigger than I was.  Reading would have been a blessing.

LC I think you have two wonderful places to visit your relatives.  

I have been on a three day eating binge and am sick.  This must really stop.  It started when I began baking on Monday.  Since I first left for L.A. in July, thanks to the stress I had been under, I had trouble keeping my weight up.  When I did eat I could have what ever I wanted-it was great.  Guess that just ended.  Watching what I will eat or big time stress-tough decision, but I suppose I will take the first option of the two.  Kidding aside, friends keep telling me I look more relaxed and happier now and they are right.

Jane

« Reply #217 on: November 12, 2003, 07:32:55 PM »

Oh my gosh, I just noticed I'm now a full member.  YEA!!!

Tomovoz

« Reply #218 on: November 12, 2003, 07:33:00 PM »

Good to know you are "Back on track" Jane. that must be why the dog was wagging its tail yesterday.
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #219 on: November 12, 2003, 07:33:23 PM »

Also does anyone know whatever happened to Bonnie Scott who played Rosemary for 1 year in How To Succeed..... (She was replaced by Michele Lee) There is no record of her appearing in any other Broadway shows.
Never stop dreaming.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #220 on: November 12, 2003, 07:35:34 PM »

Swishy--WELCOME BACK!!!  I'm sorry to hear about your chorus teacher.  Unfortunately, I can relate.  I didn't take chorus in high school after my freshman year because the teacher was a phony b...uh, let's just say it rhymes with witch.  She looked like a kewpie doll (and not in the cute Bernadette way either) and had all the sincerity and kindness of one too.

LC--I saw Martin Guerre too on the Pre-Broadway try-out.  I loved Les Miz.  I loved Miss Saigon.  You were right...this one just sucked.

Jed--I'm the resident celebration choreographer???   :o  Really, I had NO idea of that.  I'm just going to forget then that I'm not a good dancer while I choreograph the following dance.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]*Dance, dance, twirl, tip bowler hat, dance, jazz hands, leap, flirt with Jed, dance*[/move]

Jane

« Reply #221 on: November 12, 2003, 07:35:49 PM »

Good to know you are "Back on track" Jane. that must be why the dog was wagging its tail yesterday.

It helped having people like you, and everyone else here, putting smiles on my face.

:) ;) :D :-*

Tomovoz

« Reply #222 on: November 12, 2003, 07:42:40 PM »

Would you believe this is the third time I have tried to post: "Congratulations Jane, I hope you enjoy your new status on the board. Did the change come with bells and whistles or was it "A Quiet Thing"?
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #223 on: November 12, 2003, 07:47:02 PM »

A Quiet Thing

When it all come true
Just the way you planned
It's funny but the bells don't ring
It's a quiet thing
When you hold the world
In your trembling hand
You think you'd hear a choir singing
But it's a quiet thing
There are no exploding fire works
Where's the roaring of the crowd
Maybe it's the strange new atmosphere
Way up here among the clouds

Happiness comes in on tiptoe
Well, what do you know
It's a quiet thing
A very quiet thing...

I think that this is my favorite Kander and Ebb song
« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 07:47:26 PM by MDS »
Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #224 on: November 12, 2003, 07:58:23 PM »

DR RonP wrote re: the Wicked cd:

They recorded yesterday.  One of the sites has photos.  Forget which one.

Amazon.com already has the album listed and is taking pre-orders:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000TB01Y/
qid=1068685108/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/103-3635312-3563034

DR Ron, Emily and I are waiting for it be listed at amazon. CA.

DR Ben wrote:
Well, Miss Jennifer, I see that you have surpassed me. I knew it would happen. I will just have to work extra hard tomorrow, even though I will be at work - I have to make sure my priorities are straight - so to speak.

But I'm only 3 behind so if you go to bed, like a good little girl, maybe we can stay even

Ha ha. Okay I'm going to bed soon. And see how considerate I am. I put all this in one post!

BK wrote:
Can you believe the lovely number of posts?  What is fascinating is that when we did the switchover, Mr. Bakalor and I had a long chat and we were both certain we would lose some people and we would also have to slowly build ourselves back to where we were.

Well the key is the competiveness, obsessiveness and REACHING GOALS (like karma, stars, and stature). I'm telling you all, this is the reason :)

DR TCB wrote:
Ah, Ben, we have a lot to say, because some people are making a competition out of it!!!

Huh? :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 08:01:25 PM by Jennifer »

MusicGuy

« Reply #225 on: November 12, 2003, 08:03:00 PM »

Well dear readers..................

I am going to log off and go fall over.  I have to fly to Erie, PA tomorrow morning early for a program.  And to paraphrase Willy Clark, "you know, people don't go to Erie unless they have to!"

Play nice, have fun, take care of dear esteemed BK, and as I've said before.......while here in the living room, don't pee on the floor.

'night all   8)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #226 on: November 12, 2003, 08:24:59 PM »

Hello, fellow Dear Readers,
We upgraded our computer here at home, and, well, it just messed up the whole thing. I haven't been able to get online for a couple days.

Broken bones: Wrist, roller skating with the children
Surgeries: Having said children surgically removed.
Most boring show: ART
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #227 on: November 12, 2003, 08:31:18 PM »

The most boring musical I ever sat through was one called The River; I think it was at the Promenade.

Like DR Matt, I was thoroughly bored by Miss Saigon after enjoying Les Miserables.  On Broadway, a show called The 1940's Radio Hour made the mistake of putting a huge clock on stage.  I stared at it the entire time, swearing that technicians must be making it go slower than real time.

Another famous musical that bored me to tears was the incessantly tear-jerking The Secret Garden, which I caught in Orlando, of all places.  It boasts self-pitying characters of every gender and age group.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #228 on: November 12, 2003, 08:36:12 PM »

There was a jazz album of How to Succeed and I think it may have been released on CD but I can't remember.  I did have the LP at one time - I'll nose around the CD closet and see what I can come up with.

I'm sure the mix balance is what it always was - remember, if they didn't get it right when they recorded it, then it would not be easy to fix as the recordings were done on three track tape back then.  The problem in those recordings is that the band and the singers are together and if they didn't have any separation then the band goes in to the singer's mics and so if you raise the volume of the singer you raise the volume of the band, too.  I'll give a listen to the older CD.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #229 on: November 12, 2003, 08:36:28 PM »

DR MDS, Bonnie Scott played Ann Marie's (Marlo Thomas') best friend on THAT GIRL for several seasons.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #230 on: November 12, 2003, 08:38:11 PM »

I've got the first CD issue of HOW TO SUCCEED, and I don't remember anything wrong with the balance between his vocal and the orchestra, but I'll slide over to the shelf and put it in as I type.

Matt H.

« Reply #231 on: November 12, 2003, 08:41:11 PM »

Nope. Michael, I didn't hear any problem on that CD (well, other than Morse's slight tendency to go sharp at the ends of phrases).

Emily

« Reply #232 on: November 12, 2003, 08:43:13 PM »

PAPER #2 IS FIN-OOOO

Yippee!!  Huzzah!!

« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 08:47:22 PM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #233 on: November 12, 2003, 08:51:24 PM »

Nope. Michael, I didn't hear any problem on that CD (well, other than Morse's slight tendency to go sharp at the ends of phrases).

Slight tendency to go sharp, Matt?  Isn't that like saying that the Titanic had a slight tendency to take on water?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Kerry

« Reply #234 on: November 12, 2003, 08:55:40 PM »

Did I post yet today?
I like boat races.

Matt H.

« Reply #235 on: November 12, 2003, 09:01:21 PM »

Well, Robert Morse's effervescence makes up for lots of small technical mistakes. Also, the tradition is to record these cast albums on the first SUnday after the opening, and often people are just exhausted which can also have a negative effect on their performances.

I do prefer his vocals (and Michele Lee's) in the film, but because many numbers were cut, this is all we have of that original performance.

Tomovoz

« Reply #236 on: November 12, 2003, 09:16:09 PM »

No Kerry. Unless you count the posts from MusicGuy. I went back through the archives last night and read some of your posts from two years ago. (I was checking to see who had survived all this time)
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #237 on: November 12, 2003, 09:25:26 PM »

Would you believe this is the third time I have tried to post: "Congratulations Jane, I hope you enjoy your new status on the board. Did the change come with bells and whistles or was it "A Quiet Thing"?

It was so quiet I almost missed it.

Laura II

« Reply #238 on: November 12, 2003, 09:26:07 PM »

Hi all! First of all, a big thank you to the Karma Fairy! Second, it's great to see you back, Sawah! It's been an interesting night, and I don't have too much to say. I do have one favor to ask. If you guys wouldn't mind, would you please keep the family and friends of a young man named Dan in your thoughts? He was an acquaintance of one of my best friends at her college, and he committed suicide. Needless to say, many people are still reeling from this tragedy. A huge thank you in advance for your thoughts and prayers.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Jane

« Reply #239 on: November 12, 2003, 09:33:59 PM »

Laura 11 my heart goes out to all those people suffering from such a tragic loss.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up