Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LUSTY MONTH OF MAY  (Read 12708 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE LUSTY MONTH OF MAY
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2012, 01:27:34 PM »

Page five!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2012, 01:37:38 PM »

Holy Crap Department:  the arborists/tree service are/is here and are chopping away at branches to open up our view.  One of the guys threw a rope over a branch from our deck and then swung out to the tree.  I am sweaty just watching them.
Maybe he's trying out for the Tony nominated "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark."

That was a surprise, but not as much a surprise as Bonnie and Clyde getting a nomination for Best Score. Laura Osnes as Best Actress in a Musical is not so surprising, she's a wonderful actor and from what I hear (I didn't see the show) she was a saving grace in the production but Best Score?!?

I just read that "Peter and the Starcatcher" (the play) only has two songs and underscoring, yet it was nominated for "Best Original Score (Music and/or Lyrics) Written for the Theatre."

I'd also read that "Once" couldn't be nominated for Best Score because it all came from the movie.  I wonder how much had to be new for "Newsies" (or any other show based on a movie musical) to be eligible?
I seem to recall reading something about needing six new songs, but I'm sure it's always a case of what the nominating committee decides.

The best score nominations are a real kick in the butt of "Leap of Faith" as well as "Ghost," "Spider-Man," and "Lysistrata," with their full original scores.  

It may turn into another excuse for producers to do more jukebox shows, with such a slap in the face to new scores, though I certainly hope it doesn;t turn into that

Doug R

« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2012, 01:45:46 PM »

It's raining in Manhattan also.

Apparently there are Occupy plans today. Union Square Park is one of the main locations. I work half a block from USP. As I came to the office I noticed barricades. I assume when I go out for lunch there will be a large police presence as well.

Larry, be prepared for some subway disruptions. I don't know what the plans are but according to news stories they are going to try and shut down some parts of the city.

Thanks for the warning! I'm about ready to head out.

It must be international! Occupy said they are trying to close the London subway (Underground). I've just been on it and didn't come across any trouble.

Doug R

« Reply #123 on: May 01, 2012, 01:49:19 PM »

What Goes Around Department:

LONDON -- Rupert Murdoch is "not a fit person" to exercise stewardship of a major international company, a committee of British pols have concluded.

The politicians' report is highly critical of the tycoon and his son's role in the News of the World phone-hacking affair.

The culture, media and sport select committee said that James Murdoch, until recently executive chairman and chairman of News International and BSkyB, showed wilful ignorance of the extent of phone hacking during 2009 and 2010.

it was a very political report with only the opposition Labour Party members being critical of Rupert Murdoch. The ruling Conservative party MPs didn't go along with it.

ChasSmith

« Reply #124 on: May 01, 2012, 01:50:25 PM »

Good morning and afternoon and evening, all on Page Five.  Up since dawn's crack, with no time to get either lusty or online, or both, till now.  The weather here was quite lusty, with mucho spring rains, and now the sun is being attractively filtered through all the new and lusty leaves.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #125 on: May 01, 2012, 01:50:56 PM »

Apparently there are Occupy plans today. Union Square Park is one of the main locations. I work half a block from USP. As I came to the office I noticed barricades. I assume when I go out for lunch there will be a large police presence as well.

Larry, be prepared for some subway disruptions. I don't know what the plans are but according to news stories they are going to try and shut down some parts of the city.

It must be international! Occupy said they are trying to close the London subway (Underground). I've just been on it and didn't come across any trouble.

I don't know if it's related, but according to Seattle's KIRO-TV, Violence erupts as May Day protesters flood streets!

:o
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2012, 01:59:35 PM »

I have a theory about Spider-Man and I think most voters in the major categories forgot it was this season. :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: May 01, 2012, 02:00:15 PM »

Theme for Kritzerland 21 is a kind of mash-up of my album Broadway Bound (the majority of the songs are from that) along with a little tribute to some Unsung Songwriters.

George

« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2012, 02:01:07 PM »

Speaking of PETER & THE STARCATCHERS, its TONY-nommed director Roger Rees will be directing Skip's show HERRINGBONE at a downtown theatre called Dixon Place for two nights - May 21 and 22

Info and a pretty cool poster are at

http://www.dixonplace.org/html/Wong_May12.html

Congrats to Skip!  Fred, the concert is going to be recorded!  Do you know if it'll be an audio or video recording (or both)...and when will it be available for purchase?? :D

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2012, 02:10:18 PM »

Off to the gym, then to a .... well, memorial service, doesn't quit feel the same as "a fitting" would.   

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: May 01, 2012, 02:14:31 PM »

I remember when Hugh Jackman raised over $800,000 for Broadway Cares in just 3 weeks.
Of course, he did manage to auction off his undershirts for $10,000 each.
Wonder what those people who bought them ended up doing with them.....

You can always PM DR MBarnum. From the way he behaves on HHW, i'm sure he could tell you exactly what he'd do with a T-shirt from one of his Bollywood fixations.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2012, 02:39:49 PM »

I remember when Hugh Jackman raised over $800,000 for Broadway Cares in just 3 weeks.

You can always PM DR MBarnum. From the way he behaves on HHW, i'm sure he could tell you exactly what he'd do with a T-shirt from one of his Bollywood fixations.
Do you fear for the safety of the arborist in his neighborhood?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2012, 02:55:35 PM »

Do you fear for the safety of the arborist in his neighborhood?

I think the arborist is safe. DR MBarnum's essentially a 12 year-old girl at heart.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 02:57:13 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2012, 02:56:11 PM »

The emergency sirens have just sounded here in Middletown, so Richard and I are camped out in the basement with our communication devices and a transistor radio.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Laura

« Reply #134 on: May 01, 2012, 02:58:30 PM »

Yikes! Stay safe, Ginny!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2012, 03:02:19 PM »

Today I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:

Ginny

« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2012, 03:03:33 PM »

Thanks, DR Laura.  I'm here with a priest, which is comforting...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Laura

« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2012, 03:12:24 PM »

I saw these Scarlet Pimpernels this morning:

Ginny

« Reply #138 on: May 01, 2012, 03:33:06 PM »

Threat seems to have passed...maybe I'll venture upstairs now.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #139 on: May 01, 2012, 03:39:57 PM »

I don't know if it's related, but according to Seattle's KIRO-TV, Violence erupts as May Day protesters flood streets!

:o

:(

George

« Reply #140 on: May 01, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »

The emergency sirens have just sounded here in Middletown, so Richard and I are camped out in the basement with our communication devices and a transistor radio.

~~~Safe Vibes for Ginny and Richard!!~~~

Jane

« Reply #141 on: May 01, 2012, 03:41:26 PM »

Thanks, DR Laura.  I'm here with a priest, which is comforting...

:)

I hope all is well.

George

« Reply #142 on: May 01, 2012, 03:41:33 PM »

Threat seems to have passed...maybe I'll venture upstairs now.

Good news!

Jane

« Reply #143 on: May 01, 2012, 03:41:46 PM »

Pretty pictures DR Laura.

Jane

« Reply #144 on: May 01, 2012, 03:42:54 PM »

Speaking of PETER & THE STARCATCHERS, its TONY-nommed director Roger Rees will be directing Skip's show HERRINGBONE at a downtown theatre called Dixon Place for two nights - May 21 and 22

Congrats to Skip!  Fred, the concert is going to be recorded!  Do you know if it'll be an audio or video recording (or both)...and when will it be available for purchase?? :D

I also like the poster.  Congratulations to Skip!

George

« Reply #145 on: May 01, 2012, 03:44:59 PM »

Pretty pictures DR Laura.

Ditto!

FJL

« Reply #146 on: May 01, 2012, 03:56:18 PM »

I have no idea, I've just been assuming audio only, but hmmmm.... interesting question.

Ginny

« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2012, 03:57:31 PM »

Everything's fine here and at my Mom's - thanks for your concern, DRs!

FJL

« Reply #148 on: May 01, 2012, 03:58:26 PM »

I also like the poster.  Congratulations to Skip!

Skip says thanks, Jane

Jane

« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2012, 03:59:31 PM »

Everything's fine here and at my Mom's - thanks for your concern, DRs!

:)  Thanks for the update.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up