Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: BAFFLED  (Read 33334 times)

Miss Karen

Re:BAFFLED
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2008, 08:44:10 AM »

Good morning!

I'm here at the same time as MISS KAREN--finally! Hooray!

Hello, Sis!

Now I shall attempt to catch up on the posts.

Hey, SoulSis !! Yes, the planets and stars must be aligned (we must ask DR JRand -- well, actually his note on the planet plate fits this happening also -- seeing how the communication planet Mercury is in friendship-based Aquarius and all..) I shall not attempt to "ketch-up" -- probably won't have time until June... I've only got time to check-in today, not ketch-up...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 09:01:33 AM by Miss Karen »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2008, 08:45:00 AM »

A couple of things to keep in mind when watching the movie, DR MattH...people in Bollywood films never (or very rarely) kiss in films...and when someone calls someone brother, sister, uncle, etc, it doesn't necessarily mean they are related...just that they like that person and now think of them as a relation, it is a sign of affection, friendship, and/or respect.

That was Bollywood 101. Now you are ready!

Always sending mixed signals, DR MBarnum?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Miss Karen

« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2008, 08:45:50 AM »

Always sending mixed signals, DR MBarnum?

:)

singdaw

« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2008, 08:46:14 AM »

Madeleine L'Engle?

:)

Well, I always do think of her first, whenever I hear the word "tesseract," but in this case my curiosity was piqued by DR dB's "accordion" image.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2008, 08:47:07 AM »

I went to bed at 7:50 last night.  I arose at 6:50 this morning.

And I'm neither here nor there as a result of it.

I am, however, at work.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2008, 08:48:21 AM »

Hey, SoulSis !! Yes, the planets and stars must be aligned (we must ask DR JRand -- well, actually his note on the planet plate fits this happening also -- seeing how the communication planet Mercury is in friendship planet Aquarius and all..) I shall not attempt to "ketch-up" -- probably won't have time until June... I've only got time to check-in today, not ketch-up...

If you WERE ketchup, which brand would you be?

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2008, 08:48:23 AM »

DR der Brucer ~ Speaking of Thirst, once again thank you so much for finding that picture of that life raft from the early 1900s -- it even has those sailors sitting on one that is under construction, so it will be perfect to use with my set crew since it shows what they're made of and how they're made.  Kiss, kiss, hug, hug!

Glad to be of help.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2008, 08:49:57 AM »

A Baba Walters reference?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Miss Karen

« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2008, 08:50:30 AM »

Traffic -- don't get me started!  Especially the "rubber-neckers" -- Texanese for folks who slow down to look at stuff on the side of the road (accidents, animals, flowers, pretty sunsets, etc. -- you know any excuse not to keep their eyes on the road and drive)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2008, 08:51:13 AM »

I have often wondered about that too.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Miss Karen

« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2008, 08:51:38 AM »

One that is rich, and has lots of substance ....
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 08:51:56 AM by Miss Karen »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2008, 08:56:05 AM »

One that is rich, and has lots of substance ....

BRAND?  Heinz 57, perhaps?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2008, 08:56:42 AM »

I have often wondered about that too.

;)

That's because you and I are two peas from different pods.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #103 on: February 26, 2008, 08:56:46 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

After years of dealing with the Traffic Mess known as the "Capital Beltway", I just learned to deal with it, more or less.  I gave up trying to figure out if there was any logic or pattern to the slow-downs and speed-ups - all that thinking would just contribute to my frustration and blood pressure.  Like many other things in Life, Traffic Happens.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2008, 08:58:42 AM »

HHW is getting very metaphysical today.   :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2008, 08:59:34 AM »

Worst Traffic Ever:  Naples, Italy.  I suppose it's no better now than it ever was, but it was particularly wacky and wild in the 1970s.  Most Italians drove cars the size (or smaller) of VW Beetles.  Four-lane roads in busy areas routinely (that's ROUTINELY) became a maze of six or seven lanes going in EACH direction...including lanes of cars "passing" on the sidewalks.

It had a funky kind of rhythm to it...and no one ever got more than scraped or dented in the hustle/bustle of it all.

But you had to seriously adapt your brain to the uniqueness of it or you were apt to freak out.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 09:00:07 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2008, 08:59:50 AM »

TOD:

I think that traffic in the Washington area can be explained by an attitude of "I'M IMPORTANT! MOVE OVER!" or just "ME FIRST, ALWAYS."

As someone said to me the other day, "At least in LA drivers are more courteous."

OK, that's not a scientific explanation, but it's the best I can do at short notice!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2008, 09:01:04 AM »

HHW is getting very metaphysical today.   :)

It's the anti-Olivia Newton-John day.

singdaw

« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2008, 09:05:57 AM »

I need a blue post!

singdaw

« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2008, 09:06:09 AM »

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

Miss Karen

« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2008, 09:06:14 AM »

Yikes -- where does the time go?! Gotta scram.

(SoulSis -- Maybe Mercury and Aquarius will mingle for a while and we'll hook up again here soon on HHW)

Adios folks -- have a good week!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2008, 09:06:24 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

After years of dealing with the Traffic Mess known as the "Capital Beltway", I just learned to deal with it, more or less.  I gave up trying to figure out if there was any logic or pattern to the slow-downs and speed-ups - all that thinking would just contribute to my frustration and blood pressure.  Like many other things in Life, Traffic Happens.  ;)

Traffic may happen, but the Virginia Department of Transportation doesn't help. We have a great many visitors to this area--some are tourists, some are business people, plus many are recently-arrived cab drivers--and the signage, IMO, is awful. Coming from California, I couldn't believe how poor much of the highway design was here. I know that California roads aren't what they used to be, but California roads used to be far superior.

OK, OK, Jose hit one of my buttons. End of rant.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2008, 09:07:09 AM »

Hmmm... They're showing coverage of the police raid that's still currently going on here in NYC's Chinatown - they've raided a whole slew of stores for selling counterfeit goods.  I just have to wonder: Why now? What took them so long? and Will it really do any good?  I mean, most of those vendors down on Canal never truly claim to be selling the "real thing".  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2008, 09:10:06 AM »

Worst Traffic Ever:  Naples, Italy.  I suppose it's no better now than it ever was, but it was particularly wacky and wild in the 1970s.  Most Italians drove cars the size (or smaller) of VW Beetles.  Four-lane roads in busy areas routinely (that's ROUTINELY) became a maze of six or seven lanes going in EACH direction...including lanes of cars "passing" on the sidewalks.

It had a funky kind of rhythm to it...and no one ever got more than scraped or dented in the hustle/bustle of it all.

But you had to seriously adapt your brain to the uniqueness of it or you were apt to freak out.

Italian traffic! Yikes! Total chaos! "Seriously adapt your brain" is an understatement!

MBarnum

« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2008, 09:10:06 AM »

I find it a very curious dichotomy.  In the clips you've posted over the months, actors in Bollywood films seem to dance, move, and act very suggestively.  But then you read your comment above, or the news flap about Richard Gere, and you have to wonder...

So pretty much anything goes in Bollywood, as long as there is no actual touching?

There is plenty of touching and romancing in Bollywood films, but kissing on the lips is just off limits for the most part. Kissing other places on the body seems to be perfectly fine, however.

Pre-partition, kissing was more commonplace in Hindi films (particularly in the films of the 1920s and 30s) but after India won independence it is was considered very western to be kissing in public, and India was quite fed up with British anything at that point, and so it was sort of looked down upon to kiss in movies.

However, you will still find kissing in some Bollywood movies...but it is considered tawdry....wherein guys walking around in their underwear and women with most of their cleavage showing is perfectly Ok it would seem! LOL!

And after watching so many Bollywood movies, when I do see someone kiss in a Hindi film I get almost embarressed and a little shocked! LOL!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2008, 09:13:01 AM »

Playtime is over for this kid. I need to get some work done.

Audition vibes to BK.

May we all avoid traffic snarls today.

singdaw

« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2008, 09:16:26 AM »

Thanks for the information, DR MBarnum!  :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2008, 09:18:41 AM »

While I was in the process of waking up today, I was listening to the reports from the North Korean concerts of the New York Philharmonic...

February 27, 2008

Philharmonic Plays in North Korea

By DANIEL J. WAKIN
PYONGYANG, North Korea — As the New York Philharmonic played the opening notes of “Arirang,” a beloved Korean folk song, a murmur rippled through the audience. Many of the staid spectators at this historic concert on Tuesday night perched forward in their seats.

The piccolo sang a long, plaintive melody, cymbals crashed, harp runs flew up, the violins soared. And tears formed in the eyes of the sober audience, row upon row of men in dark suits and women in colorful traditional dresses, all of them wearing pins of Kim Il-sung, the nation’s founding leader.

And there, the Philharmonic had them. The stirring performance of a piece of music deeply resonant for both North and South Koreans ended the concert in triumph.

“This is difficult to describe,” said one journalist’s government-assigned minder, who was sitting in the audience. “My heart is booming. It’s too exciting.”

The audience applauded for more than five minutes, and orchestra members, some of them crying, waved.

People in the seats cheered and waved back, reluctant to let the visiting Americans leave.

“Was that an emotional experience!” said Jon Deak, a bass player, moments after the concert ended. “It’s an incredible joy and sadness and connection like I’ve never seen. They really opened their hearts to us.”

The “Arirang” rendition also proved moving for the orchestra’s eight members of Korean origin.

“It brought tears to my eyes,” said Michelle Kim, a violinist whose parents moved from North Korea to Seoul during the Korean War and who later moved to the United States.

...I started crying too.

Philharmonic Plays in North Korea

*There's also a link to the audio/radio version of the story on that page.  -The daily ArtsBeat reports from Daniel J. Wakin are also filled some quite moving stories in regards to this historic cultural trip.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2008, 09:20:03 AM »

Salem street traffic is horrid...the streets here are set up very poorly and thus everything is very slow going most everywhere in town.

The freeway is fine, until you get up towards Portland then it looks just like the Ventura Freeway except that people here use their turn signals and allow you to change lanes.

Up here the slowdowns on the freeway are normally due to the merging of traffic from off ramps. Slows things to a crawl during the busy times.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 09:21:34 AM by MBarnum »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2008, 09:24:45 AM »

All this talk about traffic this morning...

I Love New York!  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up