Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE VAGARIES OF LIFE  (Read 24056 times)

Michael

Re:THE VAGARIES OF LIFE
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2006, 05:33:08 AM »

I am not a fish eater, but I like salmon when I do.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2006, 05:34:00 AM »

BK
What is the name of the play you wrote the music to replace Harold Wheeler?
Never stop dreaming.

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2006, 05:35:43 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR Jed!!!

BK - Maybe you should have reached Harold Wheeler through the ABC television show DANCING WITH THE STARS? He's their music director/conductor.

Re: FISH - I love to chomp on lobster and jumbo shrimp, but, when I do, I am reminded that they are scavengers that eat all the garbage at the bottom of  the sea! Oy.

I try to eat salmon (wild caught) once a week. I buy it frozen at Trader Joe's (my favorite place to shop). The recipe is simple. Thaw the fish in the frig. Place some oil (I prefer olive) in a skillet and turn on the heat to medium. Salt and pepper both sides of the fish and place in pan. Cook approximately 4 to 5 minutes on both sides. Serve with a small baked potato and green vegetable.

Ben

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2006, 05:55:53 AM »

I try to eat salmon (wild caught) once a week. I buy it frozen at Trader Joe's (my favorite place to shop).

Ah, Miss Donna, we have something in common. I, too, love Trader Joe's and I love their frozen salmon. I just wish the Manhattan location wasn't always so crowded.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2006, 07:08:39 AM »

Thanks for the tip on frozen salmon. When we move, we will not only have a working kitchen with a dishwasher (and laundry facilities, whoo hoo!) but we will also be near the new Trader Joe's. So we will probably start cooking, finally!

Favorite fish: I never met a fish I didn't like. I love sushi!
But one time I was snorkeling in the south of France with my little French boy. He brought forks, which I thought were a strange snorkeling accessory. It turned out that these were for prying sea urchins off the rocks. We gathered a bucket of urchins and mussels and brought them up to the boat. Our hosts cooked the mussels, and then opened the sea urchins and ate them raw. They insisted I eat one, too. As I put this disgusting slimy yellow creature in my mouth, they took my picture. I think it was the most foul expression I've ever exhibited. Apparently this is some French form of hazing...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2006, 07:32:50 AM »

God morning DR Ben....Glad to hear about your upcoming theatre adventures.  And I hope that Ant is coming along better each day, and feeling more like a normal little clown! :)

Edisaurus

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2006, 07:33:16 AM »

My favorite seafood meal: A few years ago, we attended a scholar's conference in Rome with a special emphasis on Sacco and Vanzetti. We showed the trailer for our film and did some shooting in Rome and Puglia, Sacco's hometown.

There were huge dinners every night---man, those academics know how to party! One night we went to a restaurant---very tucked away, we would never have found it on our own---that specialized in seafood. There was a theme to the meal that consisted of travelling from the bottom of the ocean to the top.

So the meal started with salad (representing seaweed) then the bottom feeding fish and crustaceans and worked its way through any number of fish (many different herring) with a few more green vegetables. As is typical of European meals for us, we never know how to pace ourselves or when it's all going to stop!

The meal finished at the top of the ocean, with white lemon gelato representing an ice floe. As we settled in with our amazing Italian coffee (I did not have a bad cup o' joe in Italy!) guitars were brought out along with more wine and the singing commenced with lots of old Italian folk songs that everyone but us seemed to know. I wish we had brought the video camera---it was like something out of a Fellini movie. It was one of the most unforgettable evenings and meals of our lives.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

MusicGuy

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2006, 07:34:25 AM »

and a lovely good morning to Esteemed, ruddy, diaphinous, and swarthy BK --

I hope the turnout for auditions is better today than yesterday.  Damn them all to hell for not showing up.

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2006, 07:39:13 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Jed!

Jennifer

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2006, 07:41:02 AM »

DR Cillaliz re: that dancing with the stars predictor site.

It doesn't seem to be working right now. But it made perfect sense the week i looked at it (the week before last).

It showed emmitt in first with 25. That means he had 25% of the vote. Mario was in second with 13%.  To me that means that emmitt is the most popular by far (since others like jerry springer had only 5 %)

MusicGuy

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2006, 07:42:24 AM »

Good morning DR Edi ...  DP Kerry and I went and saw The Prestige this past weekend.  I thought that it was a really fascinating story, and wonderfully complex characters were written.  But each time I thought I had started to get a handle on what was going on, a new quirk or twist would happen, and I felt like yelling "..Aaaaarrgggghh !"  Of course, DP Kerry had figured out most of it about a third of the way into the film !!?!

I too have found Tesla an interesting character.  When I was in high school, I was definitely a semi-geek, because in addition to being in the drama department and the choir, I was also in radio club and ran projectors.

I had a step-father at the time who was a real shit of a person, and so I took an old unused neon sign transformer and built a fairly good sized "Jacob's Ladder" in our garage.  It scared the crap out of the step-father and he wouldn't come near the garage.....so of course I left it plugged in and "zapping" away as often as I could!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2006, 07:42:44 AM »

Good morning!

Gray skies here and cool. Rain isn't supposed to arrive until tonight and on into tomorrow. Ah, well, it is autumn now, so this must be expected.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2006, 07:44:43 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Jed. He hasn't officially left us, so I'm not going to call him former DR. I suspect he's just very busy working, planning a wedding, and rooting for his beloved Seattle Seahawks.

MusicGuy

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2006, 07:44:59 AM »

TOD:

I really like lots of different kinds of fish, but I'm afraid that they have to have encountered heat and plenty of it, to enter my cake-hole.  I almost starved for the 9 days or so that I was in Japan !!

But my favorite "treat" on the fish menu?  A really wonderfully prepared Lobster Thermidor .  Oh bliss, oh joy !!!

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2006, 07:45:22 AM »

Thanks for the gorgeous pictures, DR Tom. They're breathtaking.

MusicGuy

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2006, 07:46:00 AM »

...and a big happy birthday to DR JED ....... Yay !

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2006, 07:46:51 AM »

Not a huge fan of fish, but I do like fried flounder, and salmon can be good fixed any number of ways. I despise all that is sushi.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2006, 07:47:10 AM »

MY GOODNESS

Towering Inferno
An enormous blaze rages out of control at a Stern Oil Co. facility in Council Bluffs, Iowa.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2006, 07:48:44 AM »

Yes, I'm really looking forward to THE PRESTIGE. I have liked Christopher Nolan's films a lot over the past few years, so I'm anxious to see what he's come up with this time. And just watching Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale on the screen is pure pleasure in itself.

Edisaurus

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2006, 07:48:55 AM »

each time I thought I had started to get a handle on what was going on, a new quirk or twist would happen, and I felt like yelling "..Aaaaarrgggghh !"

Me, too! I felt like saying "Stop, already"! Wasn't the sound design fantastic, though?

And what is it about keyboard players and their fondness for Tesla? I sense a theme! (Although I'm a terrible piano player :-)  )

Ben

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2006, 07:48:57 AM »

Anthony is on the mend MG. As you said, he's getting better each day. He's still somewhat tired but he's moving along on the path toward full recovery. Thanks for all the vibes and wishes on his part. I send them back to all of you who wished it so.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2006, 07:51:42 AM »

UGLY BETTY is a new episode tonight, so I'm looking forward to that. I guess I'll watch SMALLVILLE and SUPERNATURAL in the 9 and 10 o'clock hours since everything else I normally watch is a rerun tonight, and though I don't mind at all rewatching shows I like (find it comforting somehow), these episodes were on just too recently to want to see them quick so soon again. And this won't be the first time they'll be rerun during the season either, so there's plenty of time to see them again.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2006, 07:52:57 AM »

Guess I better go get cleaned up for today's outing. Ex-partner Frank will be here in an hour.

WBBL.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2006, 07:53:07 AM »

I was also in radio club and ran projectors.

I was in the Astronomy club and my father ran numbers.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Edisaurus

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2006, 07:57:58 AM »

I was in the Astronomy club and my father ran numbers.

My father was a drug dealer. (Pharmacist.)

Edisaurus

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2006, 08:00:05 AM »

Guess I better go get cleaned up for today's outing.

Gee, Cillaliz is going on an outing, too. What is this, outing season? Why am I stuck in a small dark room, honing my craft, like a sniper?

Edisaurus

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2006, 08:01:26 AM »

BTW, I'm working on a new original comedy series for TBS called "My Boys". I hope DR Matt will give us a review on the show after it starts airing at the end of November!

MBarnum

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2006, 08:02:08 AM »

I never met a seafood that I didn't like!

Salmon and trout are my two favorite fishes. I love mussels, clam, crab, lobster, sea urchin, eel, abalone, and there is so much more I haven't even tried yet.

Edisaurus

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2006, 08:03:17 AM »

'Morning, BK. Has your finger healed? Hope it wasn't the one used when driving! :-)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2006, 08:04:27 AM »

I'm up, I'm up, and determined to jog.

I really must learn to understand our fershluganah haineshisway.com calendar - it just completely confounds me.  I shall go add Jed to the notes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up