Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: BLYTHE DANNER'S HAIR  (Read 43345 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:BLYTHE DANNER'S HAIR
« Reply #150 on: January 19, 2005, 01:28:42 PM »

Thanks for the Dustin Hoffman info, DR Elmore. Nice to read something pleasant and positive about him.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: January 19, 2005, 01:30:47 PM »

And he [Stiller] should relax and stop glaring at the camera like a cornered animal. Dustin Hoffman played an uncomfortable young lover, sixties style, in "The Graduate," then kept growing as an actor. Now, in "Meet the Fockers," he's a joyous, dancing clown, completely at ease in his aging but superb flesh. For an actor about to hit forty, that's a spiritual victory worth imitating."

I haven't seen the new Focker movie, but I'm not surprised he's having fun.  Dustin payed for his acting classes in the 1960s by playing piano for dance classes, and he used to play quite well.  At one point, I suggested to the Punch Production folk that Dustin should play Ko-Ko in THE MIKADO.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #152 on: January 19, 2005, 01:37:39 PM »

Elmore, I recommend "Meet the Fockers." Everyone's very, very good - and nobody has an ego problem - Stiller, De Niro, Hoffman, Streisand, or today's very own Blythe Danner.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #153 on: January 19, 2005, 01:38:55 PM »

I'm still trying to decide if I have the energy to go over the hill at six to see Ray.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #154 on: January 19, 2005, 01:42:53 PM »

Re: BK's topic of unsung composers.  John Scott one of my favourite scores to a movie of Shakespeare's Antony & Cleopatra starring Charlton Heston.  Don't think I've ever seen the movie, but the score is lush and romantic.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #155 on: January 19, 2005, 01:45:27 PM »

Until I read about Jamie Foxx's Golden Globe win, I had no idea he was lip-synching to Ray Charles recordings rather than doing his own vocals. This has rather spoiled any enthusiasm I might have had for RAY. Like Jessica Lange in SWEET DREAMS, knowing that the star is lip synching to someone else's voice takes just a tiny bit of the wonder out of the performance.

And, yet as I write this, I realize that it didn't bother me with Tammy Blanchard and Judy Davis doing it to Judy Garland's recordings in LIFE WITH JUDY GARLAND. Maybe that was because it was a made-for-TV film.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #156 on: January 19, 2005, 01:51:27 PM »

It is snowing here in Rehoboth Beach.  I've decided (again) that I definately like watching show fall.  It's light, whimsical (well, for now, since it's a light snowfall), and not nearly as gloomy as I've heard people say.  Rain can be gloomy, very grey, but snow is not like that at all.

Of course, if this were a blizzard, I might have a few different things to say about the matter.

The biggest question right now, for me, is whether I can con der B into Burger Night at Partners, or if I'll be doing the cooking.  If it's the latter, it'll be grilled goose breasts with sauteed spinach and (get this!) oatmeal with dried cherries and almonds.  I think that would be quite different, but I'd sure like that burger, too.  Decisions, decisions.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #157 on: January 19, 2005, 01:54:44 PM »

Re:  Dustin Hoffman.   Elmoore, you may not have been around when I posted this a long time ago, but he was one of my late, great Uncle Charlie's many tenants who didn't have to pay rent when they didn't have it, so that was one bill he didn't need to worry about, LOL.  I mentioned here many a moon ago that one summer when I was back in NYC the phone in Charlie's apartment rang and I picked it up.  The male speaker asked for Charlie, who wasn't there, and said to tell him "Dusty called."  It was only later that Charlie told me who "Dusty" was.  This was long after The Graduate had hit, but they stayed in touch.  In fact, as I think I mentioned, in the commentary on The Producers DVD, when Mel Brooks talks about "Dusty" (hey, I feel I have permission to call him that now) throwing rocks on the window of an apartment house on West 11th between 5th & 6th, that was one of Charlie's buildings.  And I think it was probably next door to where "Dusty" rented, since Charlie owned a lot of that block.  Why "Dusty" didn't phone is anyone's guess.  :)

Re:  the bank/synagogue story.  Oy.  I am still fuming.  The synagogue moved, so Betsy, who does the books, called the bank to change the address that the bank statements come to.  She only gave them the account numbers for the synagogue, but they asked her to verify the spelling of her last name as a security precaution (she's listed as a signer on the checking account).  So, of course, she goes over to pick up the mail yesterday and lo and behold our personal checking account statement is there.  So I end up arguing with the frigging bank customer service people (two of them, since the first one had no clue, and the second, an alleged supervisor, had an attitude the size of Texas) about what our address was.  I ended up having to call the corporate office in Seattle.  Washington Mutual's "Supervisor" Linda is about to get a major taste of her own medicine.  The thing that drove me crazy was this was a mistake they created and then they absolutely refused to do anything to rectify it until I called corporate.  Unbelievable.

End of rant.  For now.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 01:55:28 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Cillaliz

« Reply #158 on: January 19, 2005, 02:05:29 PM »

Well, I guess I don't have to say how I feel after last night's TAR.  The maniac is gone, unfortunately without one last egotistic act--he couldn't bare walking up to the pit stop alone (Victoria doesn't count) so he had to gather a parade around him.  What an ass!

Not just a parade, but a parade with arms raised as they walked up the hill. Couldn't agree more that he was a total ass

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #159 on: January 19, 2005, 02:12:20 PM »

I learned an important lesson today.  Don't ever read those consent forms they make you sign before surgery.  I went in for my pre-op appointment today, and had all these forms to sign.  One of them actually said, and I quote, "This surgery might not work for you.  You may in fact be worse off than you were before."  The rest of it talked about how I might become paralyzed, have a heart attack, permanent disability,  or just plain die.  I know they have to cover their butts, legally speaking, but oy...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 02:14:29 PM by Ann »

JMK

« Reply #160 on: January 19, 2005, 02:19:12 PM »

I learned an important lesson today.  Don't ever read those consent forms they make you sign before surgery.  I went in for my pre-op appointment today, and had all these forms to sign.  One of them actually said, and I quote, "This surgery might not work for you.  You may in fact be worse off than you were before."  The rest of it talked about how I might become paralyzed, have a heart attack, permanent disability,  or just plain die.  I know they have to cover their butts, legally speaking, but oy...

It's even worse when you're signing for one of your kids.  The night Gabe got hit by the car and he was in the trauma unit, they kept shoving these release forms under my nose and it was just maddening.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #161 on: January 19, 2005, 02:22:13 PM »

JMK -  Shortly after my appointment this morning I called my mother.  You see, I had many reconstructive surgeries as a kid due to birth defects.  Most of them involved cutting and moving bones around my face, and they were downright risky.  I asked her if she had to sign those forms for me, and if it was hard knowing the risks I was dealing with.  Her response "You have no idea, I may write a book about it someday."
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 02:23:13 PM by Ann »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #162 on: January 19, 2005, 02:22:42 PM »

My ask BK day question, saved since last week.... I heard a story on NPR last Thursday about the steps various theatres are taking to try and stop the ringing cellphones during performances.

Does anyone have a story about a cellphone (yours or someone else's) ringing at an inappropriate moment?

One of the few times when I was in the audience when someone else's phone went off (mine never has...fortunately) was during a local production of Assassins.  Actually, the husband of the woman playing Emma Goldman (and other characters) was the offending patron!  He was sitting in the back row when it started ringing DURING HIS WIFE'S EMMA GOLDMAN SCENE!! :o It took several rings before he was able to turn it off.  He was given a very stern talking to after the show by the director of the show who was in the back of the auditorium right behind the back row when it happened!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #163 on: January 19, 2005, 02:25:07 PM »

One of the few times when I was in the audience when someone else's phone went off (mine never has...fortunately) was during a local production of Assassins.  Actually, the husband of the woman playing Emma Goldman (and other characters) was the offending patron!  He was sitting in the back row when it started ringing DURING HIS WIFE'S EMMA GOLDMAN SCENE!! :o It took several rings before he was able to turn it off.  He was given a very stern talking to after the show by the director of the show who was in the back of the auditorium right behind the back row when it happened!

The talking-to by the director was probably nothing compared to what he probably got from his wife after they got home!  ::)

JMK

« Reply #164 on: January 19, 2005, 02:32:43 PM »

The talking-to by the director was probably nothing compared to what he probably got from his wife after they got home!  ::)

"I told you to make it go off during Squeaky's scene.  She's always been such a bitch to me."   ;D

Kerry

« Reply #165 on: January 19, 2005, 02:33:42 PM »

Furniture:
One of my favorite pieces is a side table/entry table that I saw and fell in love with.  It has great lines and looks vaguely 30's (althogh it's new).  The wodd is pretty; the lines are pretty-- there's just something about it.  Another favorite piece that I've worked hard to hang onto (especially when we had no room for it) is a Victorian sleigh bed that MusicGuy inherited from a relative many moons ago.  It's the width of a double bed but shorter.  It's now considered my nephew's bed since it is in "his" room at our house.  It's quite comfortable, and I have some fond memories of times in that bed.
Have you ever noticed that furniture you don't like has a way of staying around forever?  It always makes me very cautious when shoppping because  I know if I don't like it'll be always be there.  The furniture I hated the most was this awful French Provincial bedroom set that Lyn's mother brought to our first house when MusicGuy and I first got together.  She'd gotten it in one of her marriages and thought it was still really something.  At the time, our room was the only one big enough for the set, so we ended up using it for years.  It took moving from our second house to finally get it back to her and then another 10 years to get it out of the picture altogether.  I hated the nightstands, the bed , the dressers-- all of it.  So naturally we couldn't get rid of it.
So, caution out there- you have to like the piece of furniture or don't get it because it's like Jason in all the "Halloween" movies-- you can't kill it or get rid of it.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #166 on: January 19, 2005, 02:38:05 PM »

My favorite consent forms are when you do something dangerous like racing or skydiving.  In skydiving, not only do you have to read and sign the consent form, but they show you a video stating that you could be killed or maimed and you waive all rights to sue anybody.  They make sure you KNOW before you sign.  And of course, you don't go if you don't sign.  It's laughable though as they point out all the possibilities for your injury or death and then tell you to have fun.
I like boat races.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #167 on: January 19, 2005, 02:39:52 PM »

The only piece of furniture (if you can call it that) that I'm attached to is my piano.  It's in my extra bedroom...and not very accessible, being that the extra bedroom is really my storage room.  Anyway, when my sister was about 10 and I was about 8, we lived in Colorado.  My parents got the piano for my sister to take lessons and I got accordian lessons (a My Favorite Year reference ::) ).  After we moved to Washington (when I was 10), we both gave up lessons.  However, I started tickling the ivories (of the piano) and eventually started taking piano lessons myself.  Since it was my sister's piano, I traded her (and she accepted) my binoculars and a clock radio for the piano.  It's been mine ever since.  I've taken that piano with me every place that I've lived, except for college and my last apartment when I was on the second floor.  My mom keeps asking why I still have it when I can't get to it, and I just say, "It's mine and I'm keeping it."  Someday I will clear out the stuff in the room and have access to it to be able to play.  Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: January 19, 2005, 02:48:30 PM »

Elmore, I recommend "Meet the Fockers." Everyone's very, very good - and nobody has an ego problem - Stiller, De Niro, Hoffman, Streisand, or today's very own Blythe Danner.

Well, since I've been namedropping like mad for the past hour, I'll now tell my Blythe Danner story and drop a lot more names.  In June 2000, I scored the Williamstown Theatre Festival production of TONIGHT AT 8:30, six Coward one-acts directed by Michael Greif (God Grief!) and Ann Reinking, three plays each.  Michael's three plays featured Blythe, Stephen Collins, and Alix Korey, and Ann's featured Bill Irwin, Charlotte D'Amboise, and Terry Mann.  The night after the final dress, I was talking to Blythe in the parking lot and I said, "you should sing more often, you've got a lovely voice."  The next thing I knew, she was doing FOLLIES!  I am responsible.

The interesting thing is that Steve Collins told me he's always wanted to play Ben in FOLLIES.  Unfortunately, SEVENTH HEAVEN (?) hath him in thrall.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #169 on: January 19, 2005, 02:49:23 PM »

It's even worse when you're signing for one of your kids.  The night Gabe got hit by the car and he was in the trauma unit, they kept shoving these release forms under my nose and it was just maddening.

Similarly, but on a much lighter note, we took our son to the ER shortly after his 18th birthday (a minor mishap requiring a couple of stitches) and they totally ignored us.  After they turn 18, they sign for themselves and parents become superfluous.  That was a rude awakening.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #170 on: January 19, 2005, 02:51:33 PM »

MANY of the movies I like are not liked by many other people.  Hmmmmm.....I guess the one that most fits that description though would be CHICAGO SYNDICATE.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #171 on: January 19, 2005, 02:57:52 PM »

DR Ann,

Make sure your surgeon knows what meds you've been taking - even over the counter ones, including aspirin.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #172 on: January 19, 2005, 03:09:59 PM »

DR Ann- One bit of advice - "Don't ever read those consent forms they make you sign before surgery."

When I was living in Boulder, I had a great vet who was like a living consent form. When I would go in for even the most minor ailment of my dog, he'd got through all the POSSIBLE  problems which could arise -- leading up, of course, to death. I'm talking fleas --- death.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: January 19, 2005, 03:58:24 PM »

I don't know that I'm going to make seeing Ray tonight.  I'm just not in a Ray mood.  I do have to eat something right this very minute before I fall over.  So, tomorrow night I'm definitely going to see Sideways at the DGA, but Ray will have to wait until the DVD.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #174 on: January 19, 2005, 03:59:11 PM »

Where'd everybody go?

Michael

« Reply #175 on: January 19, 2005, 04:17:17 PM »

My cellular phone in theater show.

It happened during a performance of my show Survivors (which I co-wrote and directed). It was during the Montreal Fringe many summers ago.

The moment it happened during a very intimate moment. The actor was very close to the audience during this sequence. (He had single spotlight on him) When the lady who was sitting directly in front of him cell phone went off. She grabbed it and then dropped it on the stage. The phone continued to ring. She eventually grabbed and left the theater to answer the phone. My actor never skipped a beat and continued as if the phone had never rung.

Coda: Once the performance begins no one is allowed into the theater. She complained about not being able to see the rest of the show and wanted her money back.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #176 on: January 19, 2005, 04:18:47 PM »

Also isn't against the law in NYC to have your cell phones on during a theatrical performance? I believe you can be ejected from the theater and arrested.

Is this true?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #177 on: January 19, 2005, 04:21:43 PM »

DR BK:

Furthering your response to my ASCAP question.

Could you devise 5 questions for me to ask the audience to give constructive feedback to the play?

Or something I could look out for as we go into rehersals as a guidline.

Thanks
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #178 on: January 19, 2005, 04:24:44 PM »

Re: A queery from yesterday.

Those going to the show. Should we buy our tickets individually or can Penny get a block of tickets and we can send her the money. Inquiring minds want to know

Never stop dreaming.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #179 on: January 19, 2005, 04:25:39 PM »

I just got out of my history class. Most of my classmates are the teacher's "regulars." All of them, as a group, get together and take classes from this teacher. I'm not sure why. They're not history majors. They're just groupies for this one teacher.

Does this one teacher deserve groupies?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up