Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: INFORMATION OVERLOAD  (Read 19965 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
INFORMATION OVERLOAD
« on: November 02, 2004, 12:03:30 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have imparted much information, and now it is time for you to impart many posts until the overloaded cows come home.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 12:42:46 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:INFORMATION OVERLOAD
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 12:11:18 AM »

Sex Goddess. What would I know?

Kim Novak was always the one I thought was wonderful. Vertigo would be my favourite of her films.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 12:18:00 AM »

Ditto.   ::)

However, I've mentioned my fondness for Sophia Loren before, so, I'd have to say Sophia Loren.

Also, I'm not really if there have been any true sex goddesses coming out of Hollywood over the past 20 years or so.  Maybe out of the Hollywood Hills, but that would be a different type of "sex goddess".  Yes, there have been some sexy actresses, and some actresses that have made a career out of putting their sexuality on film so to speak, but a sex goddess in the sense that BK means... Hmmm...

Discuss...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 12:32:13 AM »

Marilyn Monroe was a sex goddess.  And a great screen presence.  Of her sex goddess roles, I love her in The Seven Year Itch and Some Like it Hot.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 12:38:47 AM »

All is right with the world...well, sort of. ::)

Ditto.   ::)

Me three!  As for Sex Goddesses[/i], yes, I would say that Marilyn Monroe is one of the sexiest goddesses of them all.  I'd also include Sophia Loren.  How about Jayne Mansfield?  They're the only ones that I can think of [but then, I didn't think of the first two on my own (a Les Misérable reference)].  Maybe later I'll just agree with more choices that others will post...as usual. ;)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 12:43:21 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 01:31:03 AM »

Three of my favorite sex goddesses are Panni, Jane, and PennyO.

But I don't know what films they've appeared in, and I'm too much of a gentleman to ask.

:o

:D

:-*
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 02:24:28 AM »

Well, SWW, that's the nicest compliment I've had all month! Thank you!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 04:34:04 AM »

Good morning, all!   I just went to vote, and the line was so long that I decided to wait until later in the day.  I don't believe in my 24 years of voting I've ever seen a iine like it.  On non-presidential election years, you can walk in and right right back out.  So, I left the pll, went down to Staples and bought some supplies:  2-disc jewel cases and some waterproof pens.  I have to burn sets of THE LADY OF THE SLIPPER for all the people on the board of this project.

DRGinny, I'm trying to take care of myself as well as I can until the surgery is healed.  I do have to start removing books and music from the other set of bookcases so that my carpenter can secure them as sturdily as the others.

DRLauraII, I'm sending good vibes to your friend who needs them.  I'm wondering how DRJenny (?) is dealing with her stalker these days as well.

Yes, DRJane, we sat in Winston Churchill Park for nearly an hour conversing and I wish we could do so once a week at most and once every 2 months at least.  Aw, Doc, when's Sheba coming back?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 04:38:24 AM »

Dear Friend BK, I'm a bit puzzled over the new recording for WRITER'S BLOCK:  are you doing real Broadway songs from 1969 or are you recording original material.  Now, why haven't you asked me to score it?  I'd drop my rates for you!

I forgot the TOD:

Marilyn Monroe, now and forever:
  SOME LIKE IT HOT
  SEVEN YEAR ITCH
  GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES
  BUS STOP
  HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE:  this is her GEORGE OF THE JUNGLE moment:  she and Brendan Fraser manage to be sexy and hilarious at the same time.  Every time she walks into a wall, ROTFLMAO!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 04:38:47 AM »

To answer the question from yesterday where Julie Andrews sang At the Ballet.
It came from the tv special Julie Andrews - One step into Spring - March 1978
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 04:39:18 AM »

Sex Goddess: Does Divine count?
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2004, 04:51:53 AM »

Checking in before going to vote at a NEW polling place; they're tearing down the elementary school (Wilson, Elmore) where we've always voted.  The board of elections just told us last week where we're supposed to go.

TOD - My favorite sex goddess ACT is Lesley Ann Warren as Norma in Victor, Victoria.  Does that qualify LAW as a goddess herself?

Elmore - Please give yourself some time to recover and take care.

Jane - Over the past 30 years, I've gone to the ALA annual conference about every 2-3-5 years and enjoyed every one.  Hoping to get to 2005 in Chicago.  It was there that I took my husband and son five years ago, turned them loose in the exhibit hall, and when we met it was like they'd been trick or treating.  They'd open their bags and say, "Look what I got!"
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Kerry

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2004, 05:03:29 AM »

I VOTED, AND I WILL BE SOOOOOO GLAD WHEN ALLTHE ADS ARE OVER.  tHEY'RE ENOUGH TO MAKE ME HATE EVERYONE SOMETIMES.   bUT ONE HAS TO CHOOSE.  uNFORTUNATELY IN MY LIFETIME, IT'S ALWAYS BEEN THE LESSER OF TWO EVILS--- NEVER ENOUGH THAT I REALLY CARED ABOUT.  I JUST  HOPE SOMEONE HALFWAY CAPABLE WITH ENOUGH INTELLIGENCE TO CHOOSE SMART PEOPLE TO KEEP AROUND ENOUGH GETS IN THE WHITE HOUSE.

On to important things:  Kim Novak is a sex goddes, Marilyn Monroe is a sex goddess.   Rita Hayworth ( I dare you to watch "Gilda" or even "You Were Never Lovelier" and tell me otherwise and Ava Gradner )alll she had to do was stand there) were sex goddesses.  And although perhaps not quite a sex GODDESS, Doris Day was had a lot of sex appeal in her understated way.
Paulette Goddard wass a sex goddess- probably more so in real life than on the screen.

Kim Novak is still my favorite though.  She didn't always get the best parts, but there was no denying her sex appeal.  I loved "Boys' Night out" and "The Notorious Landlady" and of course "Vertigo."  And she is very good and very gorgeous in "Strangers When We Meet"-- which is actually quite good and very underrated.
 My favorite films of Marilyn's would have to be "Some Like it Hot," "Seven Year Itch," "How to Marry A Millionaire," "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes."   And the thing is, she's very good in all of those movies.  "Bus Stop" isn't one of my favorites, but part of it was filmed here, and my aunt got to meet her in her dressing room (I still don't know who pulled what strings), and I drive by the corner where she was a few times a week.  So I have to list it.
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2004, 05:26:58 AM »

TOD:  Ann-Margret!  Ann-Margret!  Ann-Margret!   Was there ever a movie in which she was not sexy?  Gawd, she even managed to make Blanche DuBois a hottie.  Wotta woman!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Kerry

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2004, 05:30:12 AM »

LANA TURNER!!!!! Geez, how could I not include lana Turner?!
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2004, 05:32:08 AM »

I voted this morning, too.  I usually wait until after work to vote, but I was afraid that the polls would be crowded tonight by the time I got there (or so I hope!)

I plan to spend the day by ignoring all the news web sites and just throwing myself into my work.  That, along with drinking lots of coffee and posting whatever the hell I feel like at this here website, the best and brightest of the internet!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2004, 05:34:55 AM »

Checking in before going to vote at a NEW polling place; they're tearing down the elementary school (Wilson, Elmore) where we've always voted.  The board of elections just told us last week where we're supposed to go.

Wilson School is coming down?  That is so sad.  I went to grades 1-6 there. and my first grade was, I believe, its first year.  Well, they've been tearing me for years.

DRGinny, was there a crowd at the polls?

TOD:  I always loved Kim Novak, too, but I never felt she was a very good actress.  In BELL BOOK AND CANDLE, she's left in the dust by all the great acting around her, even by the cat!, but she's so beautiful.  A film I did like her in, besides VERTIGO, was  MOLL FLANDERS, with Angela Lansbury and Richard Johnson, whom I believe she married for a bit.  I think her comedy timing had improved by then.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2004, 05:38:23 AM »

Yesterday I was supposed to write the proposal for a term paper and I just now finished it. (Finally!) Now all I have to do is write the 15 page paper, plus four others, take one more midterm, all the finals, and various other papers, tests, and quizzes, and I'm all set.

I am watching a home shopping channel and this lady is modeling a leopard spotted bowling bag. It is stunning.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2004, 05:45:14 AM »

The only voting I'll be doing today is for screen goddess, and here's my choice - the beautiful Gene Tierney.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2004, 05:49:19 AM »

My father was in another room listening to his transistor radio when Marilyn Monroe's death was announced. He came in, visibly upset, and simply said, "We've lost a treasure."

td

• td
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2004, 05:58:05 AM »

There are several sex goddesses that I like.
Ann-Margret singing "Appreciation" in VIVA LAS VEGAS is quite a sight! (as is her "Isn't It Kinda Fun?" in STATE FAIR), wallowing in commercial items such as baked beans, soap suds and chocolate in TOMMY, on the treadmill in BYE BYE BIRDIE and arguing with Jack Nicholson in CARNAL KNOWLEDGE.
Rita Hayworth smoldering in nearly everything she did.
Marilyn performing "Heat Wave" (or sitting and having an after dinner coffee with my late uncle the colonel in Korea).
Jane Russell performing "Ain't There Anyone Here for Love?" (although at times she is upstaged by the male dancers' costumes)
Jean Harlow being RECKLESS, or in DINNER AT EIGHT
Carroll Baker being HARLOW
Alla Nazimova doing the dance of the seven veils in SALOME
Shirley MacLaine bringing professionalism to new levels in SOME CAME RUNNING and IRMA LA DOUCE
Jean Seberg being BREATHLESS.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ben

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2004, 06:07:23 AM »

I voted this morning and as DR Elmore noted, I was met with a line for the first time in my memory. I've been voting since 1972 (I proudly cast my first vote for McGovern/Shriver).

I vote at the new Chelsea YMCA on 14th Street and the space is just a little meeting room. It's never been a problem before so I got there at 6:15 thinking they will have just opened (other elections arriving at 6:15 meant a wait but I waited because they were not completely set up). Much to my surprise there were throngs of people waiting to vote. People had arrived at 5:30 waiting for them to open. I hope that's a good sign. Anyway, after about a half hour I was able to vote.

It was a bit chaotic. As I said, the room is small so it becomes overcrowded very quickly. We vote by election district and each table is for a different district so whenever a table/district was empty one of the poll workers would come into the hall and call addresses for that particular district and streams of people would step out of line and into the room. At last I reached the door to the room and, lo and behold, ED 97 Table was empty so I was able to walk right in, show my voter registration card, which apparently they don't send out any longer (I've had mine since 1983 when I re-registered at my Chelsea voting location) and cast my vote.

As DTM said, I will now scrupulously AVOID any web site, news broadcast, etc giving early poll numbers and analysis and other bull roar. I have even changed my browser home page to Google (which is basically blank with a box for search entries) from Yahoo because I don't want to see news headlines (the polls are up, the polls are down, it's a dead heat, it's a live heat, blah de blah blah blah, shut the hell up already).

I am so tired and disgusted by this entire production that I wish it was next week. I thought it couldn't get any worse after 2000 but boy was I wrong. I cannot remember a more vile, nasty, mean and obnoxious campaign and whatever happens, I cannot wait until it is over. Hallelujah, Baby (a Jule Styne, Leslie Uggams, Arthur Laurents, Arena Stage, Comden & Green, Barbara Sharma, Lillian Hayman, Marilyn Cooper and too many others to mention reference).

I am now off my soapbox. Thank you for your patience. Rant over.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2004, 06:07:24 AM »

Jane Russell performing "Ain't There Anyone Here for Love?" (although at times she is upstaged by the male dancers' costumes)

DRtd, LOL! ;D ;D ;D

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2004, 06:13:06 AM »

It's voting day!

Wow, DR Elmore such a large line so early!  Anybody else have any lines?  I always hear about people waiting hours to vote.  I don't think I'd like that.  Whenever I've had to vote, I've NEVER had to wait more than a few minutes.

Btw, good vibes for DR Laura II's friend.  I definitely think that standing by him as a friend is the right thing to do.  Email me if you need to talk about this, k?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

William E. Lurie

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2004, 06:15:36 AM »

Marie Dressler in MIN AND BILL and MARJORIE MAIN in the Ma & Pa Kettle series
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2004, 06:17:58 AM »

DR S. Woody, I'm not really a dog person, but your stories are heart-breaking, and I'm really enjoying reading about them.  It's a good thing that you and DR Der Brucer are doing.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2004, 06:26:22 AM »

I have two reactions to this comment.  Choose one:

A) Or lack thereof.  

B) Is Jane Russell in that number?

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2004, 06:28:56 AM »

Sex Goddesses....Not exactly my mileu either, but let's see.....

Definitely all the ones mentioned above.  How about Miss Dorothy Malone in WRITTEN ON THE WIND?  Sharon Tate in VOTD.  Miss Welch.....in anything.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2004, 06:31:11 AM »

Miss Welch.....in anything.

My mind wasn't completing the thought, but definitely in The Three/Four Musketeers, Myra Breckenridge, Kansas City Bomber and yes, even on stage in WOMAN OF THE YEAR.

Anyone for Miss Andrews in SOB?

Ginny

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2004, 06:33:59 AM »

Elmore and all - No line at all for me to vote.  We were advised, if possible, to go after 9am to avoid the before-work crowds.  I don't have to be at work until noon, so I went prepared to wait and then go directly to work.  I'm back home now, with a delightful hour and a half to putter around the house, have a nice breakfast, and chat with you all.

Elmore, about Wilson School - A bond issue was passed a year ago to build new buildings on sites of several existing schools, in an attempt to bring facilities up to ADA and technological codes.  A new building will appear on the Wilson site and this summer we attended a meeting where we were able to vote (like polling the audience on Millionaire) on architectural style, etc.  The new building will have basically the same footprint, but will be 2-story.

For BK, about book signings - There is a wonderful store (not striclty mystery, but with a loyal following of all kinds of readers), Books & Co., in Dayton, Ohio, that does a great job with author visits.  They have an outreach coordinator named Sharon Kelley Roth (or Sharon Roth Kelley, I can never remember), who can be reached at 937-298-6540.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up