Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WEBSITE NOT RESPONDING  (Read 17000 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WEBSITE NOT RESPONDING
« on: November 03, 2004, 12:42:16 AM »

Well, you've read the notes (finally), and now you can post until the not responding cows come home (finally).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 11:59:57 PM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:WEBSITE NOT RESPONDING
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 01:11:34 AM »

Good to see everything working again. (Although I missed the everything not working part.)
Tomorrow I'm off to Rome where I might not have access to a computer. Back in Budapest on Sunday afternoon.
Still waiting to hear who will be president. Hoping for a miracle of sorts.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 01:20:56 AM »

Dear BK:

Have you read any good books lately?

How about any really stinker books?

Are there any books out there (as in "recently published") that you want to read, but haven't had the time to do so yet?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 03:46:52 AM »

Yawn!  What no decision yet? Back to bed for me!  Somebody please call my boss and explain it to her!   :D   ;)

Really I didn't expect it to be decided this easy and that's why I it didn't bother me to go to bed.  

Have a good day everyone!

:)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ben

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 03:54:46 AM »

Happy Birthday Emily!!!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 04:38:19 AM by Ben »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 04:18:40 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happiest Of Birthdays To DR Emily[/move]

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 04:27:35 AM »

Happy Birthday, DREmily!

Maybe it's the election, maybe Halloween, but last night was a weird night of dreams.  I woke up terrified around 1:15.  I'd been dreaming about the haunted house my grandmother lived in, and the ghosts in the house where I grew up. Somehow in my dream the houses were interrelated, and they may have been so  40 years ago, I'd just never thought about it.  I woke so frightened that I had to turn on some lights and wait for the things that go bump in the night to move on.

My next dream seemed to be tied up with James Kirkwood's comedy UTBU (Unhealthy to Be Unpleasant) about a company that kills unpleasant people.  I like this underappreciated comedy, but I hadn't thought about it in years.  Now I learn this morning that the site was screwed up as well.  I think it's all that electoral hostility and bad vibes in the air.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 05:19:54 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  Happy Birthday to DR Emily  ! ! ! ! ![/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 05:31:26 AM »

I also had a restless night of strange dreams, DR Elmore.  But the only one I can remember clearly was that I was a guest (and I have no idea why I was a guest) on some kind of morning talk show.  All the guests were doing some kind of political skit in which the cap-off was that a door opened and in walked surprise guest-star Bea Arthur, in full Maude regalia, saying "God will get you for that!"  In the dream, I remember that we did a dress rehearsal with a stand-in for Bea.  When we did the skit live for the audience, Bea walked in and said her line.  I felt so excited to meet her that I walked right up to her and planted a big fat kiss right on her lips (I think there was some tongue action going, too.)  The audience roared, Bea looked stunned but not unpleased, I felt embarassed and woke up.

Doctor, what does this dream mean?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 05:39:56 AM »

It means that anyone whose voice is in the bass range had better plan on some deep kissing if you're in the area.

Scarves are optional.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 05:41:48 AM »

(Very quietly now...)

Happy
Birthday
DR Emily!
[/size]

William E. Lurie

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 06:06:39 AM »

I for one would not be unhappy to see you change servers.  Maybe that will solve the technical problems with the radio show and also allow us access to previous shows as initially promised when the server was changed last year.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Kerry

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 06:34:17 AM »

i will say what i always feel on November 3rd as I'm waiting for results (AND OFTEN MORE SO AFTERWARDS): "I'm afraid, Auntie Em, I'm frightened!"
I like boat races.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2004, 06:42:36 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR Emily.

MBarnum

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2004, 07:24:00 AM »

Happy, Happy Birthday Emily!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 11:38:42 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2004, 07:25:58 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR EMILY!

MBarnum

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2004, 07:39:26 AM »

DR Jane, I am happy to hear that Bogie is doing a bit better on the fluids! And I am keeping good thoughts for Echo!

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2004, 08:05:19 AM »

Happy 21st Birthday DR EMILY!!!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2004, 08:17:17 AM »

Happy Birthday, DREMILY.

Senator John Kerry JUST conceded the election.  Is there some kind of Karma that I saw the results on THE PRICE IS RIGHT?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2004, 08:17:38 AM »

I dont' know my dogs from my cats - whew.  Sorry DRJANE.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2004, 08:20:22 AM »

Happy Birthday, Emily.  :)

Jrand: Yes, I think the Price is Right thing probably is due to some bad karma, but it could have been worse - you could have dreamt you soul-kissed Maude last night.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2004, 08:22:37 AM »

First of all, apologies for not seeing it was dear reader Emily's birthday.  I'll adjust the notes.  It was twelve-thirty by the time I was able to access the site and I didn't even look at the calendar, which I now normally do.  So, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR READER EMILY!

Last I heard (moments ago) the election was too close to call and that Ohio might hold the balance and that it could take up to eleven days.  Is this a replay of Gore/Bush and Florida?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2004, 08:25:36 AM »

Dear BK:

Have you read any good books lately?

How about any really stinker books?

Are there any books out there (as in "recently published") that you want to read, but haven't had the time to do so yet?

Because of a) the new novel, b) What If, and c) the script I'm working on, I'm afraid I haven't had time to read anything but the occasional genre magazine and the occasional catalog that shows up at my door.  I have on the table Hank Moonjean's autobiography (Hank is a friend and has been in the business forever, with lots of juicy stories - this book is all about his days at MGM in the fifties and sixties), which I hope to finally get to once I'm through with the script.

Emily

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2004, 08:28:10 AM »

Thank you all for the birthday wishes...

Right now I am too depressed about the American political system to be happy (I was hoping Kerry-Edwards were going to be a nice b-day surprise...)

I'm still praying that somehow they manage to break with statistical probabilities and win Ohio on those quarter of a million absentee and provisional votes.

Sigh... if they don't... WHY GOD WHY???!!!
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2004, 08:31:41 AM »

Notes have been adjusted, dear reader Emily, so check 'em out.

Emily

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2004, 08:43:44 AM »

Kerry has conceded defeat according to the CBC and CNN.

*small voice*:

happy birthday to me... (waahhhhhhhhhhhh)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2004, 08:53:18 AM »

Happy Birthday Emily:

May you always live up to your expectations!

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2004, 08:55:49 AM »

Picture for the Day

Love Your Friends No Matter Who They Are

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2004, 09:00:54 AM »

The Daily Warm Fuzzy

Dog Calls 911, Opens Door for Police
Friday, October 29, 2004

RICHLAND, Wash.  — Faith the service dog phoned 911 when her owner fell out of her wheelchair and barked urgently into the receiver until a dispatcher sent help.
Then the 4-year-old Rottweiler  unlocked the front door so the responding police officer could come in.

"I sensed there was a problem on the other end of the 911 call," said dispatcher Jenny Buchanan, who answered the call from Faith.

"The dog was too persistent in barking directly into the phone receiver," Buchanan said at Benton County's Southeast Communications Center . "I knew she was trying to tell me something."

Faith is trained to summon help by pushing a speed-dial button on the phone with her nose after taking the receiver off the hook, said her owner Leana Beasley, 45, who suffers grand mal seizures.

Guided by experts at the Assistance Dog Club of Puget Sound , Beasley helped train Faith herself.

"She's a real trooper," Beasley said Thursday.

The day of the fall, Faith "had been acting very clingy, wanting to be touching me all day long," Beasley said.
The dog, whose sensitive nose can detect changes in Beasley's body chemistry, is trained to alert her owner to impending seizures before they happen.

But that wasn't what was happening on Sept. 7, and Faith apparently wasn't sure how to communicate the problem. During Beasley's subsequent three-week hospital stay, doctors determined her liver was not properly processing her medication for the seizures.
"So my whole system was not working right," she said.
Faith "was just very concerned," Beasley recalled. "She wouldn't let me out of her sight. She wanted to be touchy-feely."

After her adult son left for the graveyard shift, Beasley tried to go to sleep. But Faith kept jumping up on the bed, which is off limits.

"It's kind of hard to sleep when you've got an 80-pound dog running around in circles on your bed," she said.

So Beasley got up and checked to make sure all the doors were locked and that there was no one outside. She made another attempt at sleep, but Faith would have none of it. "Within five minutes she was doing the same thing all over again."

So Beasley got up again and decided to make some hot chocolate.

The last thing she remembers is reaching for the tea kettle.

"I didn't feel anything," she said. "I just went unconscious."

After the call from Faith, Buchanan dispatched Richland police Cpl. Scott Morrell. He arrived to see Faith and her predecessor, now-retired service dog Bronson, peering at him from Beasley's front window.

Morrell knocked, and then realized the door was unlocked.

"Faith had already opened the door for him," Beasley said. The dog has been trained to recognize police officers, firefighters and medical personnel as "special friends with cookies."

Inside, Morrell found Beasley on the kitchen floor — unconscious after striking her head in the fall and suffering a seizure — and called for medical assistance.
Faith watched intently while a paramedic tended Beasley and at one point tried to tell him that another seizure was imminent. He didn't recognize the signal, but minutes later, "Boom, I went into another seizure," Beasley said.

She woke up in the hospital several days later. Faith joined her after her transfer to the Veterans Administration hospital in Walla Walla.

Authorities learned about Faith's intervention when Beasley stopped by to thank Buchanan and Morrell after her release from the hospital.

A Benton County Emergency Services news conference Thursday put Faith and her owner in the limelight.

der Brucer (aove excerpted from a FNC Story)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2004, 09:05:04 AM »

Daily Unsolicited Medical Advice:

THIS IS MY HOME REMEDY......WORKS GREAT, ESPECIALLY THE LAST PART!

Eat right! Make sure you get your daily dose of fruits and veggies.-

Take your Vitamins and bump up your Vitamin C. Get plenty of exercise because exercise helps build your immune system.

Walk for at least 1 hour a day, go for a swim, take the stairs instead of the elevator, etc. Wash your hands often. If you can't wash them, keep a bottle of antibacterial stuff around. Get lots of fresh air. Open windows whenever possible. Get plenty of rest. Try to eliminate as much stress from your life as you can.

OR ...

You can take the doctor's office approach. Think about it, when you go for a shot, what do they do first? Clean your arm with alcohol! Why? Because alcohol kills germs!

So......

I walk to the liquor store (EXERCISE!),
I put lime in my Corona (FRUIT),
celery in my Bloody Mary (VEGGIES),
drink on the bar patio (FRESH AIR),
get drunk, tell jokes, and laugh (ELIMINATE STRESS)
and then pass out (REST).
The way I see it---- when you keep your alcohol levels up flu germs can't get
you!!

~ End ~

der Brucer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up