Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: WHOLE CLOTH  (Read 55029 times)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
Re:WHOLE CLOTH
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2005, 09:47:07 AM »

movie\ play line "No, the world must be peopled!"  

Leading me right into:

"Soylent Green is people!  Soylent Green is people!!"

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2005, 09:47:35 AM »

It's also Jules Feiffer's birthday.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2005, 09:48:17 AM »

and from the same source, the line DH uses to disarm me when I am being grumpy:

"I do spy some marks of love in her."
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 10:14:06 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2005, 09:48:27 AM »

Leading me right into:

"Soylent Green is people!  Soylent Green is people!!"

"People,
People who need people..."
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2005, 09:49:44 AM »

Which leads into the Page 5 Dance:

Electric[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Slide[/move]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 09:54:16 AM by Stuart »

Ginny

« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2005, 09:50:22 AM »

After a very painful silence between early arrivals and myself (preparing for a presentation last week), I decided that, from then on, I'd have music playing in the room while setting up for a program and again as people are leaving.  Last night, I did the first of 3 orientation sessions for the people who have volunteered to be discussion leaders for The Big Read.  The book that was selected last fall in community-wide voting is Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America.

My choice for last night's theatrical touch?  Original cast recording of Working, CD reissue supervised by our very own bk.  One of the ladies, who leads a lot of book discussion groups, said she was going to start using music herself.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2005, 09:51:59 AM »

My Ask bk question  is Why, oh, why do they no longer make movies that the whole family can enjoy?

Movies like  ":The Russians Are Coming" or  "Support Your Local Sheriff"  or  "Support Your Local Gunfighter"  Why do they have to always add "language" or unnecessary (to the storyline)  sex scenes??????  

And (Part II)

Why, oh , why do current filmmakers feel the need to put some disgusting "sight gag" in kids' movies? Can't they make an amusing kids' movie without having some one vomit all over the car or have a bird leave droppings on someone's head?

Kids movies is an interesting topic.  Because yes, there used to be lots of movies that were not made for kids but which kids could go to and enjoy.  If you simply thumb through the Kritzer books (especially the two early ones) you will see mention after mention of movies I loved as a KID, none of which were "kids movies".  As for movies targeted to children, like The Court Jester - that was still just as enjoyable to adults, probably even more so because of the brilliant wordplay.  And it didn't PANDER.  Disney movies didn't PANDER.  There were no focus groups, every film didn't have to be an "event" and it was a different world.  Today, movies targeted to kids are always filled with fart jokes or vomit jokes and are made for what they presume are children with ADD, who can't sit still for two minutes without some loud distraction.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2005, 09:52:24 AM »

"People,
People who need people..."

Or....

PEOPLE?  

I ain't PEOPLE!

I am a bright and shining star in the sin-e-mah firm-a-mint!

It sez so right here!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 09:52:53 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2005, 09:56:37 AM »

Hmmmmmm.....my question for ASK BK day....what is your favorite Oscar Wilde short story, play, or novel.  And is there a film adaptation of a Wilde piece that you think was well done?

The Importance of Being Ernest.  I like the Brit film version from the forties, I think.

Cillaliz

« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2005, 09:56:59 AM »

Alas, back to work.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2005, 09:57:05 AM »

I am sick, sick, sick (that is 3, count 'em, 3 sicks).  I would say "sick as a dog," but those of you who have been to my home environment and met BeeGee, know that not only is he not sick, he is prone to lie about in a fluffy chair with his smoking jacket on.  :)

Movie quote:  "I expect to be a great actress someday, Mr. Fisk.  What do you expect me to be?"
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2005, 09:59:46 AM »

I was doin' some Googling and stumbled upon something I just HAD to share (wtih love and affection, of course):

"Writers would be warm, loyal, and otherwise terrific people--if only they'd stop writing."

--Laura Miller from a salon.com review of the movie Finding Forrester

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2005, 10:00:18 AM »

Kids movies is an interesting topic.  Because yes, there used to be lots of movies that were not made for kids but which kids could go to and enjoy. As for movies targeted to children, like The Court Jester - that was still just as enjoyable to adults, probably even more so because of the brilliant wordplay.  And it didn't PANDER.  Disney movies didn't PANDER.  There were no focus groups, every film didn't have to be an "event" and it was a different world.  Today, movies targeted to kids are always filled with fart jokes or vomit jokes and are made for what they presume are children with ADD, who can't sit still for two minutes without some loud distraction.  

YES!!!!!  When I was growing up we used to go the drive in every single Saturday night (throw all the kids in the back of the station wagon in pj's with their blankets & pillows and off the the Johnny All Weather Drive In! (sadly now a parking lot for Home Depot)

There was always a cartoon and then the movie which  didn't have scenes or language that we kids shouldn't see , but was entertaining for the whole family.

If you simply thumb through the Kritzer books (especially the two early ones) you will see mention after mention of movies I loved as a KID, none of which were "kids movies".  

I have been notified that my Kritzer books are IN THE MAIL!!! so I hope to l be thumbing through them shortly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2005, 10:05:01 AM »

I don't remember any acrimonious exchange between Panni and I last night.  I know I did make some disparaging remark about this thing called the Chooster.  And I am firmly siding with Mr. Pulliam and Mr. Pogue on this issue and have since that fershluganah running gag first began.  No one loves a running gag more than I (this site is BASED on the running gag in more ways than you can imagine) but this thing is so monumentally unfunny to me that I just want to vomit on the ground every time the name is mentioned.   Frankly, if I am ever in the home environment of dear reader Panni I will probably find a way to off the little sucker.  I will snuff it, throw it from the highest turret.  And THEN all will be right with the world.

There are two eight year olds walking outside of my house - both on cell phones.  All is NOT right with the world.

We got a little rain last night.  The pool man didn't show up this morning.  I've left a message telling him that a few drops of rain is no reason for him not to show up and that he must clean the pool and the filters today.  If I don't hear back from him I'll just call the powers that be.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2005, 10:05:36 AM »

Oh, and I think Ball of Fire is a great character actor-laden film, as is Casablanca, as is Ace in the Hole.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2005, 10:13:08 AM »

Chooster is back! All is right with the world!!

I now have two tickets to DR Penny's show on Saturday, March 19th at 8pm. We are in Row D. I think they are seats 5 and 6. Hoo and Ray!

I'm in Row D, Seat 7. Talk about meeting cute!

Panni

« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2005, 10:14:09 AM »

I love the group of character actors in NINOTCHKA.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2005, 10:21:47 AM »

I don't remember any acrimonious exchange between Panni and I last night.  I know I did make some disparaging remark about this thing called the Chooster.  And I am firmly siding with Mr. Pulliam and Mr. Pogue on this issue and have since that fershluganah running gag first began.  No one loves a running gag more than I (this site is BASED on the running gag in more ways than you can imagine) but this thing is so monumentally unfunny to me that I just want to vomit on the ground every time the name is mentioned.   Frankly, if I am ever in the home environment of dear reader Panni I will probably find a way to off the little sucker.  I will snuff it, throw it from the highest turret.  And THEN all will be right with the world.

Now there's a sight I'd pay to see!!!!!!!

As for "acrimonious" exchange, I didn't mean it was unaffectionate...just the BK-Panni kind of banter that often occurs in the late hours of an evening/wee hours of a morning.

As for this object being "wooden," perhaps it's now back from a second operation...owing, I suppose, to its having resprouted something or other that had once been removed.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2005, 10:24:22 AM »

Jimmy Durante was a fun character actor.

I love "The Man Who Came to Dinner" and all the supporting characters in that one!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 10:24:36 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Panni

« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2005, 10:24:32 AM »

I just read all the posts. First of all Healling Vibes to JMK.

Second of all, I thought Chooster was a bit of fun. Yes, DR Pogue, I know he's tacky. That's the idea.
But I won't be posting pictures of him anymore. In fact, I'm really busy, so I won't be posting for a while.

MBarnum

« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2005, 10:30:40 AM »

Well, goodness, I think we need to lighten up a bit about poor MR. Chooster....frankly, I enjoy seeing him, tacky or not, I like the little wooden guy...and I got a good laugh out of him sitting next to the phone...which is something I needed since I am home sick today...blah.

DR Panni, you can e-mail Chooster pics to me anytime...and I want a pic of Chooster sitting in BK's lap! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2005, 10:31:23 AM »

...and congrats on your new rack...I understand those are very popular in L.A.

MBarnum

« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2005, 10:32:12 AM »

And DR Panni and BK's frenzy last night had me laughing out loud this morning! Thanks guys!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2005, 10:33:23 AM »

...and congrats on your new rack...I understand those are very popular in L.A.

Racks are actually quite popular around the world...especially among the male population!!!

And certainly Panni's not saying a little criticism of the chooster has ruffled her feathers.  
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 10:33:55 AM by Ron Pulliam »

MBarnum

« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2005, 10:44:51 AM »

Ok, here are my quotes:

"Are you going to stand by and let that thing destroy property?"

"Why, I'm your friend"

"He..he turned Bob into a doll"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2005, 10:45:13 AM »

Panni is saying a little criticism of the Chooster has ruffled her feathers.  I'm sure we are open enough here at haineshisway.com to have differences of opinions, and I do hope everyone knows that my post was obviously tongue in cheek.  

What I love about this here site is the way we can go from silliness to really interesting discussions.  I have found of late there has been more of the former than the latter, but that happens.  Let's all take a DEEP breath, and get back to our roots - we are a unique group here.

vixmom

« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2005, 10:45:55 AM »

This is my favorite version of  "The Importance of Being Ernest" is this the one you meant bk?

The Importance of Being Earnest - Criterion Collection (1952)

see larger picture  
List  
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 10:46:19 AM by vixmom »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2005, 10:45:56 AM »

I have returned from my ladsitting duties, at last!

(There is a sudden quiet, with a few crickets chirping in the background.  Such is fame.)

I'll try to post more later, but first let's focus on one incident that occured during the duties.  

I was downstairs with the lads; we were watching a DVD of Goofy cartoons, which were also goofy cartoons.  Der Brucer was upstairs, getting his daughter's computer hooked up to the Internet so that we could find out who the Oscar nominees are for this year.  Der B had a nice mug of hot tea with him.

He was coming down the stairs with said mug of hot tea when there was a sudden crash.  We all turned in time to see him sliding down the stairs, ending in a heap at their base.  Goofy was forgotten as we all dashed over to find out how badly hurt he was.

Fortunately, no bones were broken, and there was just one abrasion where his skin was rubbed raw; he's just suffered bruises, but that's quite enough.  The lads helped me clean up all the spilled tea, and we put der B's pants and shirt in the drier to dry out the tea he had spilled upon himself.

Der Brucer is fine now, if very sore.  He fortuitiously had a doctor's appointment later in the day, and the doctor checked him over, giving him a clean bill of health.

Still, it was quite a scare for us all.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2005, 10:48:02 AM »

I can see posting pictures of our shows, our home enivronment, our dinners, our favourite movie stars, art objects we're particularly proud of, even our favourite beefcake/cheesecake photos (to some extent), and, yes, even our latest acquisitions (even Choosters), ...but once we've seen one or two pictures of said acquisition from various angles, once we've gotten the idea, do we really need an unending series of poses of the same thing?

Well...not this lad...Nor do I need wasted pages of running commentary on it...nor giving it "vibes"...And my tongue isn't in my cheek...My time can be better spent here than reveling in the so-called joys of Chooster. It's not why I come here.  I come here for the wit, the repartee, discussions of the arts. When the site becomes overwhelmed with banalities like Chooster -- a remaindered Pier One knick-knack, that's when I make my exit.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 10:59:39 AM by Charles Pogue »

vixmom

« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2005, 10:49:51 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~Healing vibes~~~~~~~~~~~~ [/move]

to JMK, M. Barnum and derBrucer!!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 10:50:26 AM by vixmom »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16   Go Up