Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HEAVY LIFTING  (Read 21820 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:HEAVY LIFTING
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2004, 01:45:53 PM »

Quite a nice change of pace today was Chaplin's THE GOLD RUSH. Funny and wistful throughout, and I quite enjoyed it. I hadn't watched it in many years, so this was a nice reunion with one of the greats. I still think CITY LIGHTS is the more accomplished film and THE CIRCUS funnier, but the several famous set pieces in THE GOLD RUSH are pretty hard to top.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2004, 01:56:02 PM »

There were some moments of joy, some new (albeit small) rays of sunshine behind the clouds. But would it have rung true if everyone just hopped, skipped, and jumped their way through the days following the death?

As I was the one who said the episode was lacking the show's usual humor, I think I should answer. Of course people shouldn't have "hopped, skipped, and jumped their way through the days following the death." There can be humor - black or otherwise - that has nothing to do with that kind of thing. One aspect I admire tremendously about SFU is that it somehow manages to bring out the humor in the darkest situations, even death. One of the hallmarks of the show is that you can be crying one moment and laughing the next - or doing both at the same time. As in the incredible episode about the scenic designer who produced a little opera, sets and all, as the ultimate send-off for his lover.
And I didn't mean to say there was NO humor in the episode. There was. But there was, IMO, also a kind of relentless rhythm of "bring on the tragedy" - which didn't work for me.
This said, I still think it's one hell of a show and I'm looking forward to the next episode.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 01:57:54 PM by Panni »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2004, 02:17:42 PM »

I'm looking after my neighbors' dog, O.B., and I just took him to his apt. - he and Archie eat separately. Here's what I saw in the neighbors' fridge: I Can't Believe It's Not Butter; something called Processed Cheese Food; and a "milk carton" type container of egg whites. (OK, so I snoop a little.) This is eating?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2004, 02:28:53 PM »

Well, I found the Nudie Musical still, and a Playboy on the Air still, but couldn't find the main box which would have the Laverne and Shirley still, along with some other neat stuff.  I'll go back on Thursday and look more.  I couldn't find my second Laverne and Shirley still in the garage, so heave knows where that has gone to.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2004, 02:29:11 PM »

DRJANE - you are fine!

RE: SIX FEET UNDER....the TV Guide had Peter Krause quoted as saying: "There is a scene at the end that is so shocking I have been told it is almost unwatchable...."   I watched the show....what is he talking about?  And of course after reading the newspaper story about Mr Lees, nothing in a fictional television show would seem shocking.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2004, 02:29:52 PM »

Heave knows.....knows all....tells all.

Tomovoz

« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2004, 02:33:07 PM »

News from DR Elmore. He is fine and misses everyone.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2004, 02:35:18 PM »

Heave knows.....knows all....tells all.

Actually...Only the Shadow knows!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2004, 02:37:30 PM »

DR JRand, The scene was upsetting and a bit nauseating from a corpse standpoint, but unwatchable, not for me, and I'm pretty squeamish.

DR Panni, humor, even dark humor, under these circumstances would have been out of place (well except for Ruth and her new husband's wedding night), at least from my perspective. And the episodes of dreaded waiting to find out where Lisa was that ended the last season just had to play out this way, I thought.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2004, 02:38:32 PM »

DTM - fill out your suggestion sheet and put in the box....

LOL DRGEORGE.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2004, 02:52:11 PM »

Dan-in-Toronto you are funny.  I think your neighbor has a cholesterol problem or is simply concerned about fat.   ;D

Bruce I hope you find the missing items.  I hate when that happens, and it has too often with all our moves.

JRand you make me feel fine.

George-LOL

My break is over.  I will be back later.

Michael

« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2004, 02:53:22 PM »

Favorite song: The Canadian Musical Zero Patience song Pop-A-Boner because a friend was in the film and performed in the number
Never stop dreaming.

Jason

« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2004, 03:08:32 PM »

I'm listening to Ms. Tonya Pinkins scream out "Lot's Wife" (the number she did on the Tonys). I got a copy of the promo CD that they sent out to the Tony voters. You can hear her throat shredding...and this was recorded just after they started previews! I'm assuming this is directly from the forthcoming cast album. It's impressive, but painful to listen to in some spots; especially after hearing what she sounded like last Sunday. Happily, though, this recording reminded me of why Anika Noni Rose won the Tony. She's wonderful.

Someone asked which show the teacher ended up choosing... I think he picked ANNIE. Of all the shows in the world, that is about as far from A CHORUS LINE as you can get. Oh well.

My favorite calls involve the following senario. Insert your own city in the following equation...

ME: Music Theatre...how may I direct your call?
THEM: I don't know...
ME: What state are you calling from?
THEM: Los Angeles.

Sometimes, after a long day of answering phones, I'll get bored and start answering the phone like the MovieFone guy does...

ME: Hello and thank you for calling Music Theatre International! How may I direct your call?

It doesn't work as well when it's typed out, but it's fun for me, though it freaks the customers out. :D

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2004, 03:13:58 PM »

You know you're getting older when ...

You turn on Law and Order and see Cindy Williams playing a grandmother. (It was a superb performance.)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2004, 03:16:27 PM »

Off to rehearsal....back later.

ANNIE, A CHORUS LINE....hmmmmmm....maybe the orphans could sing Dance:Ten  Looks:Three instead Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile!

and Miss Hannigan can sing AT THE BALLET.

Jason

« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2004, 03:22:32 PM »

OH! MBarnum: I'm reading a book called "Running With Scissors" by a Mr. Augusten Burroughs, and ever since I started reading it, I can't help but imagine that this guy looks just like you. I'm not sure why, but he's you. Or you're him. He's a twelve year old and his parents are divorced. His mom has gone crazy and left him to stay with a dirty psychiatrist and his dirty family. He feels totally out of control of his life--except for his clothes and his hair. Here's a snippet...

When I was ten, my favorite outfit was a navy blazer, a white shirt and a red clip-on tie. I felt I looked important. Like a young king who had ascended the throne because his mother had been beheaded.

I flatly refused to go to school if my hair was not perfect, if the light didn't fall across it in a smooth, blond sheet. I wanted my hair to look exactly like the mannequin boys' at Ann August, where my mother shopped. One stray flyaway was enough to send the hairbrush into the mirror and me running for my room in tears...

Throughout my childhood, while all the other kids were starting fights, playing ball and getting dirty, I was in my bedroom polishing the gold-tone mood rings I made my mother buy me at Kmart and listening to Barry Manilow, Tony Orlando and Dawn and, inexplicably, Odetta. I preferred ALBUMS to the more modern EIGHT TRACKS. Albums came with sleeves which reminded me of clean underwear...

I would have been an excellent member of the Brady Bunch. I would have been Shaun, the well-behaved blond boy who caused no trouble and helped Alice in the kitchen, then trimmed the split ends off Marcia's hair. I would have not only washed Tiger, but then conditioned his fur. And I would have cautioned Jan against that tacky bracelet that cause the girls to lose the house-of-cards-building contest.

Don't ask me why...I can just see him as a tiny version of you.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 03:23:52 PM by Jason »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #106 on: June 14, 2004, 03:23:30 PM »

Someone mentioned earlier WINDY CITY.  I saw the original production of this in London in 1982.  I was not that overwhelmed by it.   The strangest thing was there was a contingent that made a big to-do over the set, which was mystifying because basically what it would is shift on one side of the wings or other to include another little set within the unit set wagon.  But to me it was merely like the entire set couldn't fit within the proscenium space, so they were doing a sort of theatrical pan-and-scan method.

Panni

« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2004, 03:32:09 PM »

You know you're getting older when ...

You turn on Law and Order and see Cindy Williams playing a grandmother. (It was a superb performance.)

Finally! Proof that this performance is not a fragment of my fevered imagination. I told someone about it (twice - when it was first on and when it was rerun) and someone didn't believe me (or pretended not to). I hope someone reads this and I am finally vindicated. 8)

MBarnum

« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2004, 03:34:46 PM »

OH! MBarnum: I'm reading a book called "Running With Scissors" by a Mr. Augusten Burroughs, and ever since I started reading it, I can't help but imagine that this guy looks just like you. I'm not sure why, but he's you. Or you're him. He's a twelve year old and his parents are divorced. His mom has gone crazy and left him to stay with a dirty psychiatrist and his dirty family. He feels totally out of control of his life--except for his clothes and his hair. Here's a snippet...

When I was ten, my favorite outfit was a navy blazer, a white shirt and a red clip-on tie. I felt I looked important. Like a young king who had ascended the throne because his mother had been beheaded.

I flatly refused to go to school if my hair was not perfect, if the light didn't fall across it in a smooth, blond sheet. I wanted my hair to look exactly like the mannequin boys' at Ann August, where my mother shopped. One stray flyaway was enough to send the hairbrush into the mirror and me running for my room in tears...

Throughout my childhood, while all the other kids were starting fights, playing ball and getting dirty, I was in my bedroom polishing the gold-tone mood rings I made my mother buy me at Kmart and listening to Barry Manilow, Tony Orlando and Dawn and, inexplicably, Odetta. I preferred ALBUMS to the more modern EIGHT TRACKS. Albums came with sleeves which reminded me of clean underwear...

I would have been an excellent member of the Brady Bunch. I would have been Shaun, the well-behaved blond boy who caused no trouble and helped Alice in the kitchen, then trimmed the split ends off Marcia's hair. I would have not only washed Tiger, but then conditioned his fur. And I would have cautioned Jan against that tacky bracelet that cause the girls to lose the house-of-cards-building contest.

Don't ask me why...I can just see him as a tiny version of you.

Ha, ha! Well there might be a few simularities there! But I can assure you that I was never that anal...and I wouldn't know a split end from a split screen, LOL!  I would have made a good Brady kid, though....but I would have been on Carol's side of the family!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 03:35:57 PM by MBarnum »

Jane

« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2004, 03:34:54 PM »

MBarnum I am very curious regarding your reaction to Jason's post. ;D

Jane

« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2004, 03:37:15 PM »

Guess we were typing at the same time.

Tomovoz

« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2004, 03:38:09 PM »

Must admit to being a little shocked that DRs (with a few exceptions) know so little of non Broadway musical theatre. At the far end of the world I still have managed to hear the joys of Noel Coward, Ivor Novello, Sandy Wilson and ALL the produced musicals of Lionel Bart. Both "Blitz" and the (to me) wonderful "Billy" have been performed by non-professional theatre here. I would like to see performances of "Maggie May" and "Divorce Me Darling".  ALW's "The Beautiful Game" was IMHO a dreadful show to endure but it did produce two beautiful songs (one of which was recycled Phantom II). The Swedish musical (Kiristina?)written by the Abba guys looks as though it may get an English production - it has moments of beauty but I have found it difficult to appreciate when my knowledge of Swedish is limited to Ikea and Volvo.
The French "pop" musicals like "Notre Dame" have met with reasonable success - the English cast recording is quite good but I did not enjoy watching the French production (Filmed). "Witches Of Eastwick" was enjoyable fluff  - the English cast was wonderful.
As with DR George, I quite enjoy "Blondel" but at times its lyrics are too busy being clever - just missed out be a few days on the oppportunity to see the show. Australian musicals so far have been mostly forgettable but "Lola Montez", "Only Heaven Knows" and "The Sentimental Bloke" are OK. More recent efforts like "Martin & Gina" have been disappointing. I know people who have really enjoyed "Paris" (Rock Opera)  and it was staged here recently. I don't like it at all - but I am not a fan of Rock Operas.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2004, 03:41:52 PM »

Have all y'all seen this one?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jason

« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2004, 03:45:17 PM »

Ha, ha! Well there might be a few simularities there! But I can assure you that I was never that anal...and I wouldn't know a split end from a split screen, LOL!  I would have made a good Brady kid, though....but I would have been on Carol's side of the family!

I knew you'd make a good Brady. There again, wouldn't we all? I can't explain WHY I think he looks like you. His picture is printed very clearly on the back of the book and he looks nothing like you, but I keep imagining a little MBarnum running around in a navy blue blazer and a red clip-on. I think it must be because you're so well-dressed in your picture. There's a kid that I used to babysit that I equate with Benjamin Kritzer. I get these images and they stick. I would never think you to be a trimmer of split-ends or a dog-shampooer, but I can imagine that you'd point out that tacky bracelet to Jan. LOL

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2004, 03:57:41 PM »

RLP: It's hanging in my bedroom.  Got it on eBay.

MBarnum

« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2004, 03:58:17 PM »

I knew you'd make a good Brady. There again, wouldn't we all? I can't explain WHY I think he looks like you. His picture is printed very clearly on the back of the book and he looks nothing like you, but I keep imagining a little MBarnum running around in a navy blue blazer and a red clip-on. I think it must be because you're so well-dressed in your picture.  I would never think you to be a trimmer of split-ends or a dog-shampooer, but I can imagine that you'd point out that tacky bracelet to Jan. LOL

Well, i have always been a neat dresser. It is only in my "old age" that I am going the jeans and t-shirt route!

Would you believe that there were times in years past when I would come home from work and stay in my slacks, dress shirt and tie for the entire evening until it was time to go to bed (probably even a time or two when I mowed the yard that way! LOL!). I guess I thought I was Hugh Beaumont!

Nowadays, however, I throw the comfy clothes on as soon as I walk in the door!

I would have shampooed the dog of course...but in my nicest clothes! LOL!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #116 on: June 14, 2004, 04:00:58 PM »

Just remember, DRMBarnum, you're never FULLY dressed without a smile.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jason

« Reply #117 on: June 14, 2004, 04:03:11 PM »

I won't lie--I hate dressing up. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. I'd rather die than to have to wear kakhi pants and button-down shirts? Forget it! I haven't worn a tie in four years and I can't remember the last time I wore real "slacks." Unfortunately, I'm going to have to go shopping for those things sometime this week because I have to look good for the concert I'm singing in Chicago with DR MusicGuy. That means new shoes, new pants, new shirt and a possibly a tie...I'm not sure about the tie yet. And a haircut.

What would Marcia think about that? I think she'd be horrified that I never dress up. But I think Jan would appreciate that.

Panni

« Reply #118 on: June 14, 2004, 04:10:25 PM »

Moi, I'm always prepared for a formal occasion... I have two - count 'em TWO - evening gowns in the trunk of my car. You never know.
(Actually, they're in there because I don't want them and thought I might one day sell them - but there's no room for them in my closet. If a petite cross-dresser ever steals my car, he'll be thrilled.)

Panni

« Reply #119 on: June 14, 2004, 04:13:05 PM »

DD is still sleeping. - Well, I dragged her out of bed to eat at 1:30. (A kosher hot dog and some salad.). Now she's sleeping again.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up