Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TIVO AND DISH  (Read 21977 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:TIVO AND DISH
« Reply #150 on: January 04, 2004, 07:48:17 PM »

Well, BUSY is as BUSY does.  And we shall laugh and laugh.  There are MANY BUSY people here, including my BUSY self, but we love it here so we just make sure we drop by in the midst of our BUSY-NESS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: January 04, 2004, 07:49:18 PM »

Comfy, like a pillow.  Comfy, like a futon.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: January 04, 2004, 07:59:52 PM »

A lull.  People must really be BUSY.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #153 on: January 04, 2004, 08:00:30 PM »

Just because I'm not here doesn't mean I don't want to be here. There are more imporant things in life than an internet site, sorry to bust the bubble. When I pass my exams with flying colors, keep my job, help my mom out with her new kidney disease, take care of my little sisters, and sleep, maybe THEN I might stop being so damned busy. I'll be sure to drop by and say hello.

Maybe you should go back to ignoring me, it was a hell of a lot nicer.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Tomovoz

« Reply #154 on: January 04, 2004, 08:23:00 PM »

People actually remember their number of Karma points? I have certainly given out a few for the kindness so often found on this site but even if I felt annoyed by someones "value judgements" I would not be bothered with the dekarma action. (I just privately email my negative thoughts to others!).
TCB/MBarnum: I too would laugh but I have no idea what the post means.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #155 on: January 04, 2004, 08:24:32 PM »

Just had to check back. What is "melmac"? It sure doesn't sound like vegemite.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #156 on: January 04, 2004, 08:25:10 PM »

I am sure she is right, bk, about the CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM that you saw. Like you, I get both the east coast and west coast HBO feeds, and you were probably tuned to the East Coast feed which indeed would be 6:30 your time and 9:30 our time.

Swishy Sarah is so very, very wise.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: January 04, 2004, 08:28:57 PM »

Have I been ignoring Swishy Sarah?  My, my, my (that is three mys).  I don't ignore people.  And you come and go as you see fit, Swishy, because, really, in the scheme of things, we ARE just an Internet site - I have no argument there.  I was merely pointing out that you were and are not the only BUSY person.  That is all.  We now return you to our regularly scheduled postings.

Matt H.

« Reply #158 on: January 04, 2004, 08:33:52 PM »

LOVE ME TONIGHT was just as I remembered it, a witty, sexy musical romp with some very memorable tunes sung by people who were big stars but whose voices grate a little if what one is after is lyrical, pretty singing. One just accepts and enjoys Chevalier and MacDonald for what they could do and excuses their less than pristine way with a tune.

The print looked very good but not pristine either. There were two places where there were serious scratches and some spotting here and there was also evident. Most of the mono sound was clear but early on and then somewhat later there was definite noise from the early sound equipment that I guess no amouont of noise reduction could totally take out.

Clearly NOT the greatest musical ever made though it certainly was beautifully done with innovative camera moves, cuts, and lots of singing recorded live (though not all of it was).

Interesting that Universal would release this for Kino to distribute rather than James Whale's SHOW BOAT. (But Warners may own that from their rights to Turner's holdings, I guess.)

Biggest shock to me: the beautifully muscular physique of Charlie Ruggles!

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #159 on: January 04, 2004, 08:53:50 PM »

Thank you Jane and to the other karma fairies.  I do realize that karma is just a number and it isn't as if my self-esteem is damaged if the number goes down - I just thought someone really must love Return of the King (which I myself liked very much) to boo me for applauding DR Charles's comments.  How bad of a run on sentence is that?
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Laura II

« Reply #160 on: January 04, 2004, 09:01:12 PM »

Sarah--I love your mommy! If I can do anything to help, please let me know. I don't know too much about kidney disease--is it something that medicine can keep under control? Sorry to pry. I'll be praying!

I agree with Matt H--you're very wise! :)
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Matt H.

« Reply #161 on: January 04, 2004, 09:07:19 PM »

Tomorrow I plan to rewqatch LOVE ME TONIGHT and listen to Miles Kreuger's running commentary. His liner notes didn't espouse the film to be the greatest musical film ever, so I'm anxious to hear if he says so in his commentary. Given his gushing praise (much of it deserved) for the Whale SHOW BOAT as heard on the Criterion laserdisc, I would have thought he'd have picked THAT as the greatest film musical ever.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #162 on: January 04, 2004, 09:08:47 PM »

Melmac is smaller than earth, but larger than a gopher.

It is Alf's home planet.

Jed

« Reply #163 on: January 04, 2004, 09:10:20 PM »

Aaahhh!  I really despise having to keep turning my heat up, but it's FREAKIN' FREEZING around here!  Currently -2F (that's -19 for our Celsius-inclined readers) outside, and we're headed for at least -10F tonight (-24C or so).  I sense a nice hot cup of tea in my very near future.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #164 on: January 04, 2004, 09:11:12 PM »

Just because I'm not here doesn't mean I don't want to be here. There are more imporant things in life than an internet site, sorry to bust the bubble. When I pass my exams with flying colors, keep my job, help my mom out with her new kidney disease, take care of my little sisters, and sleep, maybe THEN I might stop being so damned busy. I'll be sure to drop by and say hello.

SS I don’t know how you manage to do all you have to do.  I also didn’t realize your mother is sick.  I’m really sorry.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #165 on: January 04, 2004, 09:12:15 PM »

Well I am back up and running. My new bed and bureau arrived yesterday. . . .

As I was catching up on reading the posts, I glanced through MS's post and didn't read it closely enough.  At first I thought that he had written that his "new bed and beau arrived" and I thought "perfect timing!" ... then I looked back to make sure that what I'd read was correct.  It wasn't.  Just wishfull thinking, I guess. ;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 09:13:41 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #166 on: January 04, 2004, 09:13:38 PM »

It is Alf's home planet.

It is also some weird plastic type dishware.  I don't think you can find it anymore.
http://www.norasake.com/generic372.html

Jane

« Reply #167 on: January 04, 2004, 09:14:00 PM »

Goodnight.

Matt H.

« Reply #168 on: January 04, 2004, 09:14:07 PM »

Well, I guess it's off to bed for me now. Hope everyone has a good evening (an Alfred Hitchcock reference).

Jed

« Reply #169 on: January 04, 2004, 09:15:25 PM »

On a happier note (C#), I will soon be the owner of a new computer.  Well, not new, but new to me.  A good friend of mine recently upgraded, and I've been needing to upgrade for some time now, so I'm buying her used-yet-certainly-superior-to-mine machine.  Enough of this fershluganah Mac already!

Jed

« Reply #170 on: January 04, 2004, 09:19:57 PM »

Anyone who says high school students aren't busy hasn't been around them in awhile.  I vow to be one of those teachers who actually remembers that my students have more going on in life than school, and more going on in school than just my class!

Best of vibes to you and your mother, Swishy.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #171 on: January 04, 2004, 09:32:09 PM »

der Brucer: I don't KNOW what you're talking about - my post clearly says "KNOW" not "NOW"  ;D

I don't proof the Unseemly Interviews - Mr. Craig Brockman does that for me, and normally he does a good job, but on this interview he was busy and in a hurry and only used his spell check, hence the offending to/too.  

Hmmm...I seem to notice an annotaion on the subject post:

« Last Edit: Today at 06:48:52pm by bk »

said edit being a mere few moments before this "I don't know nothin 'bout typos" post. Too bad the clever edit function doesn't allow you to edit the quote function in my critique. Us Bruce's are a clever lot, you now!

Having cleaned up your own house and deflected the criticism of the interview onto the shoulders of the long suffering Mr. Brockman, perhaps you could use your clever edit bitton and fix the interview for him. Then DR's reading my nit-picking posts will be assured I have lost my mind. But we, to, will now the truth, shan't we?

der ever-complaining Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #172 on: January 04, 2004, 09:37:01 PM »

3. KARMA IS MERELY A NUMBER ON A COMPUTER! If it UPSETS, HURTS, or DAMAGES you in any way, I think you are in dire need of psychological help. If you cannot tell the difference between technology and reality, that is a PROBLEM. On your death bed, will you worry about how many people like you, or what you think/say? I sincerely doubt it. This is similar.
[/size]

Sarah, you're one smart cookie.  

Some folks seem to see karma as a form of validation of self-worth, rather than as an innocuous form of non-confrontational feedback.

The reactions are interesting when the feedback isn't accepted.  Particularly when demands are made for folks to cease giving negative feedback.  No one can dictate  how others should react.  The most you can do is be yourself and hope for the best reaction/response.

The whole POINT of the karma feature is to allow non-confrontational feedback.  If you lose points, you're ticking somebody off.  It's THAT simple.  

I often ignore my disappearing karma, but I sometimes make comments when I want the person who takes it to know I give it to them freely.  Obviously they NEED it more badly than I, and I'm sure they're reacting to something I've said.  I'm blunt when I think I need to be, but I never mean to hurt feelings.  

I'm sure a lot of karma is taken by folks who  seek to avoid confrontation.  Rather than take issue with something someone has written, they  take karma.  I can live with that.  That's what it is for, and it should merit no stronger physical reaction than a bemused smile. It's never worth a distraught reaction.  

I know I'm going to lose karma when I'm outspoken.  I'm going to lose some because of this comment.  But I don't care.  

Like Sarah, I really tire of the whining about it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 10:46:37 PM by Ron Pulliam »

td

• td
« Reply #173 on: January 04, 2004, 09:44:07 PM »

It is Alf's home planet.

Also, the birthplace of Nicole Kidman, though she later ventured to the sunny shorelines of Metaluna.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #174 on: January 04, 2004, 09:46:30 PM »

Put your vegemite on this, mate!

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #175 on: January 04, 2004, 09:51:12 PM »

DR Swishy Sarah: My thoughts and prayers will be with your mother and with your whole family. It's hard having an ill relative, especially when so much responsibility falls on you for needing to care for your little sisters in addition to all your schoolwork.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Tomovoz

« Reply #176 on: January 04, 2004, 09:52:03 PM »

Thanks Jane & Ron for the "Alf"/plastic ware explanation. I did not ever watch "Alf".
DR Jed: Sometimes I was amazed that my students ever made to to School at all. In these days of seriusly fractured and flawed relationships, their problems and demands upon their time are at times overwhelming. I was always amazed that some students even survived and completed their education. The world that only looks at "results" has no idea what is really happening. As one of my colleagues once said, "these kids have experienced everything except death before they even become teenagers".  At times school is their only "constant".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #177 on: January 04, 2004, 09:52:04 PM »

Hey, some of my best plates are Melmac!  ;D

Tomovoz

« Reply #178 on: January 04, 2004, 09:54:57 PM »

I am so much more "in the loop" now. Thank you MBarnum and td. I guess I now have to wait for TCB to arrive and say what he meant too!
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #179 on: January 04, 2004, 09:55:55 PM »

And just at the wave of a fairy wand, TCB arrives. This is a magical day.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up