Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SPOILING THE BROTH  (Read 20564 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:SPOILING THE BROTH
« Reply #150 on: October 27, 2005, 01:14:07 PM »

I've played Max twice in THE SOUND OF MUSIC, and never again will I do that show playing ANY part.

It's a wonderful musical with a great score, but I want no more of it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #151 on: October 27, 2005, 01:17:16 PM »

Page Six Lucy Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #152 on: October 27, 2005, 01:20:31 PM »

Loved those Gordon MacRae pics. I think he was the perfect Curly. Certainly I'd rather hear him sing those songs than any other Curly and that includes the original Alfred Drake.

Jed

« Reply #153 on: October 27, 2005, 01:26:34 PM »

I've played Max twice in THE SOUND OF MUSIC, and never again will I do that show playing ANY part.

It's a wonderful musical with a great score, but I want no more of it.

Amen!  After some 60 performances, I could happily never hear "The Lonely Goatherd" again!  I was offered the role of Franz the butler in a fourth season, but kindly declined.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: October 27, 2005, 01:28:49 PM »

Amen!  After some 60 performances, I could happily never hear "The Lonely Goatherd" again!  I was offered the role of Franz the butler in a fourth season, but kindly declined.

Were you hoping for Liesl?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #155 on: October 27, 2005, 01:31:38 PM »

This afternoon, I got around to watching the Hermes Pan documentary DANCE CRAZY IN HOLLYWOOD.

It was a dreadful piece of work consisting mostly of some film clips, not always of dances choreographed by Hermes (like an Eleanor Powell tap routine which went on very long and yet in voiceover Hermes admitted he never worked with her, looked like it was taken from the 1949 silver anniversary party at MGM; a Bojangles Robinson soudie he had nothing to do with, etc.). All the clips used were full frame, even if the films like CAN-CAN, CLEOPATRA, SILK STOCKINGS were widescreen films thus ruining our being able to really appreciate the dancing. And he really had very little to say: a gaffe he made talking with George Gershwin about how awful his song "Shall We Dance" was, explaining how great Rita Hayworth and Cyd Charisse were as dancers (like we didn't know they were), explaining his theory on the different ways that white folks and black folks mark time.

It was made by a French company in 1990, and you could tell that arthritis was affecting his walking and being able to manipulate several fingers on each hand.

I will never again have disdain for the documentaries on our DVDs when I see what an utter mess was made of this golden opportunity to get one of the giants from the golden age of Hollywood to talk about those times and his work. This documentary was done in a haphazard and incomprehensible way; at the least the DVD documentaries we often find fault with are organized and focused. I wish this one had been.

Matt H.

« Reply #156 on: October 27, 2005, 01:34:30 PM »

Then I watched CSI: NY. They've brought in a new forensic scientist, and I like her. She should fit well into the mix of personalities on the show, even if the show is a distant third in interest compared to the other two CSI shows.

Matt H.

« Reply #157 on: October 27, 2005, 01:35:45 PM »

Hopefully, when I go back downstairs a little later, I'll be able to get at least an hour of DARLING LILI watched.

Matt H.

« Reply #158 on: October 27, 2005, 01:36:45 PM »

The DVR also picked up the latest TCM broadcast of THE HEIRESS, one of my all-time favorite films. I will be burning a DVD of it for myself probably tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #159 on: October 27, 2005, 02:22:21 PM »

Headed downstairs now to get the bedrooms cleaned and then some DVDs watched before network TV commences.

Matt H.

« Reply #160 on: October 27, 2005, 02:23:45 PM »

Oh, those mentioning WILL & GRACE, tonight's episode is a rerun from last season, a funny one particularly with Will forced into "chaparoning" Grace's date, and the funny repercussions for him.

Jack's story involves his pursuit of bird watcher Luke Perry. He's called "the hot gay nerd" by Jack and Karen. Could have been funny, but the writers blew their chance.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 02:26:33 PM by Matt H. »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #161 on: October 27, 2005, 02:36:13 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well...  My knee is still a bit twingey, but I'm managing.  -Getting in and out of the car, however, takes quite the effort - and planning.  I started laughing at myself the first time I was getting into my car - it really was becoming quite the production number.  -Not unlike those John Lithgow Campbell Soup commercials.

;)

I ended up having lunch with my friend, Daniel.  He just got a new dog - a miniature schnauzer, or something like that.  To me, he looks like mini-dachsund with longer legs and pointy ears.  Very cute, and very well-behaved.  Oh, and his name is "Cobalt".

:)

After lunch, I headed over to CVS to pick up some supplies: soap, knee brace, Thermal Care knee-wrap, and some Icy-Hot ointment.  Covering all the bases.  I have the knee-brace on right now, and I guess it's helping.  I'll probably switch to the Thermal Care wrap in a bit.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #162 on: October 27, 2005, 02:40:09 PM »

Pogue, the Mystery and Imagination signing/reading is 11/19.  Really looking forward to doing this one, for many reasons.

HEYLIG - when I used to play poker regularly and I'd win a big pot, my expression (I always have an expression for everything) was always, "Hey, life is good!"  Hence, HEYLIG.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #163 on: October 27, 2005, 02:42:49 PM »

Hmmm...

So there's a whole series of those Campbell Soup commercials...  I think I've only seen one so far.

Hmmm...

What amazes me the most about them is that they look like they were done on the cheap.  Bad lighting.  Bad costume choices - that white and gold tux on Mr. Lithgow - ugh!  Even the syncing of the soundtrack and Mr. Lithgow's mouth is off.  -Although, I did suspect that David Yazbek was the composer.

The article says the commercial is part of a $20 Million dollar campaign.... WOW?!?!?!?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #164 on: October 27, 2005, 02:46:37 PM »

OH!

And I decided to buy a few Lottery scratchers while I was out.  Five of the Halloween-themed ones.  Three of the five were winners!  Grand total of $22.00!  A $17.00 "profit".  Not bad for a whim.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #165 on: October 27, 2005, 03:36:06 PM »

DR JOSE has just proven: Hey, life is good!  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #166 on: October 27, 2005, 03:38:17 PM »

DR JOSE last night at GODSPELL I saw a young man who could be a Mini You.  

He did most everything.....BUT he was exceptionally funny when he played the Prodigal Son....and later did a rap number during another parable.

If they ever post any pics from the show, I will show you your twin....albeit younger, shorter, and with an Afro hair style.  But I recognized you!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Danise

« Reply #167 on: October 27, 2005, 03:44:46 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well...  My knee is still a bit twingey, but I'm managing.  -Getting in and out of the car, however, takes quite the effort - and planning.  I started laughing at myself the first time I was getting into my car - it really was becoming quite the production number.  -Not unlike those John Lithgow Campbell Soup commercials.

;)

I ended up having lunch with my friend, Daniel.  He just got a new dog - a miniature schnauzer, or something like that.  To me, he looks like mini-dachsund with longer legs and pointy ears.  Very cute, and very well-behaved.  Oh, and his name is "Cobalt".

After lunch, I headed over to CVS to pick up some supplies: soap, knee brace, Thermal Care knee-wrap, and some Icy-Hot ointment.  Covering all the bases.  I have the knee-brace on right now, and I guess it's helping.  I'll probably switch to the Thermal Care wrap in a bit.

DR Jose, I hope that knee brace and IcyHot ointment helps.  You may have to baby that knee for a few days and try to keep any major weight off of it--like that heavy keyboard you were talking about.  You don't think you might have done some damage when you lifted that things, do you?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #168 on: October 27, 2005, 04:12:52 PM »

Speaking of soup:

When I got home tonight, one of my neighbor ladies made black bean soup and brought me over a small pot (she always makes too much soup.)  A tad on the salty side, but still--yummmm!  It really hit the spot on this chilly night!

Hey, life is good!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #169 on: October 27, 2005, 04:23:22 PM »

Speaking of soup:

When I got home tonight, one of my neighbor ladies made black bean soup and brought me over a small pot (she always makes too much soup.)  A tad on the salty side, but still--yummmm!  It really hit the spot on this chilly night!

Hey, life is good!

I'm glad something nourishing has entered your system after a morning filled with candy bars!

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #170 on: October 27, 2005, 04:25:20 PM »

DR JOSE last night at GODSPELL I saw a young man who could be a Mini You.  

He did most everything.....BUT he was exceptionally funny when he played the Prodigal Son....and later did a rap number during another parable.

If they ever post any pics from the show, I will show you your twin....albeit younger, shorter, and with an Afro hair style.  But I recognized you!

Wow!  "Younger" and "shorter" and an "Afro"...what? No mention of teeth?  

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #171 on: October 27, 2005, 04:26:31 PM »

I got way too much mail today (including UPS packages), but I'm just as thrilled as can be to report that my "Raintree County" window card arrived and is in even more pristine condition than I could have imagined.

It's wonderful and a treasure to me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #172 on: October 27, 2005, 04:28:47 PM »

Oddly, yesterday I ordered seasons 3-7 of "Friends" (Amazon.com has lowered the price for those seasons to $19.97 per).  An hour later, I saw that Season 8 was also available at the same price, and I ordered that.  Then, in a fit of impetuousity, I ordered "Hidalgo."

Today, I got "Hidalgo" and "Friends: Season 8"....but the 5-season order for "Friends" was shipped much later than the items ordered after that order was placed.

Still, I'll probably get those tomorrow!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #173 on: October 27, 2005, 04:29:48 PM »

Oh!  Oh!  I was looking down at the street and saw a man who could be MY twin.

He's 30 years younger, and a coupla inches taller, and is much thinnner, and has more hair....but he could BE me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #174 on: October 27, 2005, 04:30:13 PM »

Heck! He could be YOU JRand55!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #175 on: October 27, 2005, 04:37:21 PM »

I'm glad something nourishing has entered your system after a morning filled with candy bars!

Oh, I went and deleted my response cause it was too crude.  I'll PM it to you!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 04:40:45 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #176 on: October 27, 2005, 05:02:39 PM »

I like soups:
Sweet Potato and coconut milk.
Tomato with orange juice and sherry
Beef consumé with claret.
French Onion
Apple and celery

Does that have to be fresh-squeezed orange juice?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #177 on: October 27, 2005, 05:16:20 PM »

Oh, I went and deleted my response cause it was too crude.  I'll PM it to you!

I wanna see!  I wanna see!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #178 on: October 27, 2005, 05:16:58 PM »

...And the karaoke has started upstairs in the living room...

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2005, 05:22:15 PM »

Good Evening!

My parents took my aunt out for a bit of sight-seeing earlier.  Besides checking out the various monuments, they also made a stop at Costco and fishing boats down at the Southwest waterfront.  So, for dinner we had rotisserie chicken and lobster(!).  Quite tasty.

Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up