Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: SO FAR, SO GOOD  (Read 32693 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:SO FAR, SO GOOD
« Reply #270 on: November 08, 2005, 06:53:38 PM »

Off to watch something.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #271 on: November 08, 2005, 07:04:52 PM »

Was "House" a new one or a rerun tonight?  -Good episode.
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #272 on: November 08, 2005, 07:10:08 PM »

My avatar was taken last Thanksgiving Friday at the wonderful RENAISSANCE restaurant on 8th avenue in New York City.  The photographer was our very own DR AlexPaige (the barely visible elbow belongs to Scarlet Streeter Bob Gutowski); the picture was taken the night before a similar picture was taken of DR Elmore and I at Joe Allen.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #273 on: November 08, 2005, 07:11:41 PM »

Off to watch something.
I'm taking a half-way mark break (to walk Dixie Bell) on the DTS version of JURASSIC PARK, one of Andrew Lloyd Webber's faves, I assume.   ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Cillaliz

« Reply #274 on: November 08, 2005, 07:17:10 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  CONGRATS TO DR CILLALIZ FOR 13 SMOKE FREE MONTHS  ! ! ! ! ![/move]

I wish it was 13 MONTHS!!! Right now we're talking 14 DAYS! But it's a start and thanks for the congrats

Cillaliz

« Reply #275 on: November 08, 2005, 07:18:10 PM »

Cillaliz - Re one of your posts yesterday, it seems interesting that about a dozen people have told me lately that they've seen the LAST STARFIGHTER movie on cable in the past couple of weeks, and it seems on different stations.   Maybe it's just on the minds of our friends since the CD of the musical is out, but in a strange moment, it was fun to think that the movie might be showing more often because of the CD and all the google references to  the title (especially when combined with "kritzerland") that popped up since the CD was announced.  Doubtful, but in a self-absorbed moment, it was fun to think that. :)

Since there is no evidence to say you are wrong, I say believe it!!!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #276 on: November 08, 2005, 07:24:56 PM »

George, don't THINK you're getting out of the Avatar game.

I know, I know. ;)

Long story:

Here in Olympia, a local semi-professional theater group, Harlequin Productions, puts on a Christmas show every year that they write.  They're scripted (not revues), set in New York City in the 1940s, at the fictional Stardust Club.  Each show title has the word Stardust in it:  "Stardust Memories," "Operation Stardust," "A Stardust Christmas 1944," etc., etc., etc.,  Anyway, I'd been in several of their earlier shows as the bartender, Stanley Gallagher, and in this particular year (I forget the specific title), the club is being taken over by a bunch of gangsters.  At the end of the first act, I have to distract everyone, so I come out enter in the Carmen Miranda outfit singing "Boom Chicka Boom" (from Nick & Nora...I suggested the song) to break up the tension and end the act.  It was one of the highlights of the series (audiences just love men in dresses!) and even several years later, people remembered me from that one moment!

Most of the songs that they use are from the 1940s, so if one is in the proper style and not too well known as a song from a different era, they'll use it.  However, one year they did "Merry Christmas, Darling" by the Carpenters and it really took everyone out of the 1940s.  They haven't used a popular modern song since. ::)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 07:30:27 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #277 on: November 08, 2005, 07:33:24 PM »

I must be going now (I'm still at work).  My sister needs me to go to Costco...she can't trust herself to NOT "impulse shop." ;) Later!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #278 on: November 08, 2005, 07:41:01 PM »

MBarnum you look the same but if you do change your avatar, how about one with your cute smile.

And your dazzling blue eyes

Cillaliz

« Reply #279 on: November 08, 2005, 07:46:10 PM »

Wow! That took a while to catch up on the posts.  Thanks everyone for the well wishes on being nicotine free.  So far so good.  I'm pretty determined this time.  

FJL

« Reply #280 on: November 08, 2005, 07:51:49 PM »

I checked to see whether my folks had a shot of me as Lucy in the all-male Camp Loyaltown production of CHARLIE BROWN so that I could use it as my avatar (if I ever get around to getting a scanner that works).  But alas, they had no pictorial evidence of that performance.

Cillaliz

« Reply #281 on: November 08, 2005, 07:57:40 PM »

Decided to go back to my walking across the Brooklyn Bridge avatar

Cillaliz

« Reply #282 on: November 08, 2005, 08:00:45 PM »

My cats have started a new goofy pass time. Whenever I'm gone, they find socks (I think the ones that the dryer ate - ok there are a bunch in a basket down the basement somewhere) Anyway, they bring them up and decorate the living room. When I came home from work, there were 10 socks in the living room, I went out for dinner and came home and there were 7 socks in the living room. That's 17 socks today that they brought up from the basement!!!

It's better than this past weekend when they found a pair of underwear and decided to put that in the living room!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #283 on: November 08, 2005, 08:08:11 PM »

I represent a lot of people who are illegally in the country. They all have different stories.  There are many who came here as children and while their parents went through the process of becoming legal, for whatever reason they never got the proper paperwork. So they live their lives here, work, have taxes withheld etc. Then if they come to the attention of the authorities, what happens to them? They are deported to a country where they often don't know anyone and they often don't speak the language.  

The big ugly secret with social security is all the illegals who pay into it through their payroll taxes but never will receive and money from it. Without them, Social Security would probably be broke.  

I guess I get to know a lot of the people who come here to work, who get in trouble for whatever reason and are then sent to prison before being deported.  I get to know their familes, their kids etc.  It makes me feel a lot differently

As far as the language issue goes. If it's a court proceeding or something legal, a lot of people born here don't understand that English. It's really not unreasonable to explain it in someone's native tongue.

End of my rant

Cillaliz

« Reply #284 on: November 08, 2005, 08:09:27 PM »

In Sioux City, all the official city signs are in English, Spanish and Vietnamese.

Cillaliz

« Reply #285 on: November 08, 2005, 08:10:18 PM »

Time for me to sign off. I'm anxious to get back to my book.
Night all

Cillaliz

« Reply #286 on: November 08, 2005, 08:12:22 PM »

Wow! We just had a front come through with 47 mph gusts. It came out of nowhere and was actually pretty cool..well it is a cold front

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #287 on: November 08, 2005, 08:12:41 PM »

Just saw that actress Jean Carson passed away at age 82.

JRand55 will remember her as the deep voiced best friend of the tormented Gloria Talbott in I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE...others might recall her from her appearances on THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW as the raspy voiced "fun girl" Daphne on 3 episodes.

I met her at a couple of the Ray Courts Shows...she was very sweet...her voice was even more raspy as she puffed away on many a cigarette outside the convention center!

Oddly enough I just saw her on an episode of LOCK UP last night.

Oh, I just loved her in those "fun girl" episodes, among my favorites of the entire run of GRIFFITH.

Very sad.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #288 on: November 08, 2005, 08:15:37 PM »

HOUSE was a new episode tonight and was very good. One of the things I love about the show is that not every patient survives despite all their best efforts. Cewrtainly makes it seem more real.

I think Hugh Laurie does a terrific American accent, but I didn't believe Lee Ermy was his father for a second.

Matt H.

« Reply #289 on: November 08, 2005, 08:17:15 PM »

BONES had a very affecting episode tonight, too, and it also cleverly worked personal bavkground information about the supporting characters into the episode without making the episode about them. That's how I like to see this kind of character stuff done on these crime procedurals.

Matt H.

« Reply #290 on: November 08, 2005, 08:19:13 PM »

Chsitopher Meloni was without Mariska Hargitay completely this week on SVU. There wasn't an explanation offered about where she was, and instead he was paired with a much younger Hispanic detective for a 30 year old case involving four missing Hispanic boys.

Not as gripping as many episodes in this show's run, but OK drama to end the evening.

Matt H.

« Reply #291 on: November 08, 2005, 08:20:56 PM »

Before watching any network TV, I spent a little more than an hour watching the Lana Turner IMITATION OF LIFE. I hadn't noticed it before, but the cinematographer did use a softer focus lens on Lana for her close-ups. I'm not sure I had ever noticed this before.

Matt H.

« Reply #292 on: November 08, 2005, 08:23:22 PM »

My avatar was taken about a year ago as I grew my first goatee. I wanted to have it for my audition as Georges in a local production of LA CAGE, and I got the part.

I've been toying with the idea of shaving it off, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. No pressing reason to keep it but no reason not to have it either. I'm kind of used to it. As long as I keep it, I'll keep up that avatar. When it goes, the avatar will change.

Matt H.

« Reply #293 on: November 08, 2005, 08:36:54 PM »

Well, I only got a bit more than six hour of sleep last night, so I'm going to turn it a bit earlier tonight.

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the evening.

Good night!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #294 on: November 08, 2005, 08:39:19 PM »

So can we play the Avatar game, in which everyone explains who and what their avatars represent?  For example,

Mine is a duck.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #295 on: November 08, 2005, 08:53:10 PM »

Precisely.  ;)

Yay!  What do I win?

DR Joy, are you alright?  You sound a little horse there.

Yuk!  Yuk!  Yuk!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #296 on: November 08, 2005, 09:06:18 PM »

And speaking of "Desperate Housewives"...today is Alfre Woodard's birthday!  Just had to share. ;D

Happy Birthday to Alfre Woodard! (who I always believed should have been cast as Celie in THE COLOR PURPLE movie.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #297 on: November 08, 2005, 09:12:34 PM »

In your dreams, maybe.  I want to read my new books!

DR Elmore, please report on what you thought of How Sondheim Got His Groove Back Found His Sound when you finish it.  The book sounded interested when I read about it on Amazon, but I was afraid that it would be a bit academic.  I might still like to read it if it's interesting on a non-musician level.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #298 on: November 08, 2005, 09:15:15 PM »

I wish it was 13 MONTHS!!! Right now we're talking 14 DAYS! But it's a start and thanks for the congrats

Oh...sorry about that.

But I'll bet it's felt like 13 months!  :D
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #299 on: November 08, 2005, 09:18:02 PM »

Back from a very looooong day, and I'll tell you all about it in the notes.  Must now sit on my couch like so much fish, but let me tell you how impressed I am with all the excellent postings.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up