Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: CLIMB EV'RY MOUNTAIN  (Read 20649 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:CLIMB EV'RY MOUNTAIN
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2003, 10:59:23 AM »

Hey DR TCBY: Are you completely over your flu? Missed seeing your usual number of posts.

DR Jane: Take care. 9 inches is a lot of snow.

Bye for now.

Jennifer:  I hope the "Y" stands for youth and not for yogurt.  There is something unflattering about being compared to curdled cream. Yum!

Yes, I am feeeling a little better, thank you.  Maybe once I get done with Oliver next weekend, I can get back to my ususal posting frenzy.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jason

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2003, 10:59:24 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MAYA PAPAYA!! I hope it's a great year for you...

Here I am at MTI sneaking a post so that BK won't accuse me of being E&T. I could get fired for this! Things are really, really slow right now, so I feel like I can take a moment to say hi...

My top ten theatrical experiences/recordings of the past year (now, when we say "top," that can mean best and worst experiences, right? Cause DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES is right up there on the top of the list for worst theatre experience of the year...):

1. WICKED
2. DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
3. THE BOY FROM OZ (Hugh Jackman--wow!)
4. WONDERFUL TOWN
5. LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS
6. GYPSY
7. TABOO (oy)
8. URBAN COWBOY (Why, God? Why!?!)
9. BOUNCE (OY!)
10. CHICAGO (Melanie Griffith--OY VEY)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 11:07:09 AM by Jason »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2003, 11:14:53 AM »

It's great that we have the 100th user, but why aren't more of the 100 posting?  It seems like the same 30 or 40 every day.  Let's get some views from some other DRs.  If you took the time to register, don't be a lurker.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2003, 11:19:32 AM »

Yes, it's strange that people take the time to register and then not join in the merriment and mirth and laughter and legs.  After all, you don't have to be registered to read the posts - c'mon in, the water's fine, that's what I say.

Tomovoz

« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2003, 11:20:11 AM »

I wonder if the newest registered reader is WeeStevie from the old board!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2003, 11:20:25 AM »

Was that an insult?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2003, 11:23:12 AM »

Happy Birthday to fellow Capricorn, Maya!

Most of my top ten theatre experiences happened in London which is where I see most of my theatre.  In no particular order, they'd be:

1) Trevor Nunn's last show as head of the National...an incandescent production of Love's Labour's Lost in the Olivier Theatre, starring Joseph Fiennes and Olivia Williams.

2) Derek Jacobi's TEMPEST at the Old Vic.  Not the best production of the play, but maybe the best Prospero I've ever seen.  An angry, bitter, unforgiving Prospero despite all his chatter about forgiveness.

3) The RSC's staging in Shaftsbury Avenue's West End of what they called Jacobethan plays...obscure and rarely performed late Elizabethan/early Jacobean plays.  Of the five, we saw three: THE ROMAN ACTOR with the wondeful Anthony Sher; EASTWARD HO! and THE ISLAND PRINCESS.  As something of a theatrical archeologist, I loved seeing things like this.

4) The National also did an interesting coupling of plays THE COUNTRY WIFE by Goldsmith and a new play, LAUGHING MATTERS, about the first production of THE COUNTRY WIFE.

5) Tom Courtenay was delightful in a one-man show about poet Philip Larkin called PRETENDING TO BE ME.

6) Ian McKellen is always a delight onstage.  I've probably seen him about five times in different things. Though I found his production of DANCE OF DEATH disappointing to my memory of Olivier's version (only seen on tape)...It was still intriguing and he had the always-good Frances De LaTour playing opposite him.  

7) I had an interesting theatrical experience this fall, when I was back in Kentucky at my alma mater, University of Kentucky, and spent two days giving my oral history of my years in the theatre there.  I also had a chance to do my dog and pony show of local boy makes good with the students.

8) Discovering the Broadway Archive Collection on DVD was another joyful theatre experience, reliving such productions as Ceremony of Innocence, ACT's Taming of the Shrew, and seeing our own Bruce Kimmel in Forget-Me-Not-Lane when he were but a wee twig of a sprig of a lad...

10) Likewise, discovering the American Film Theatre Productions out on DVD.  Last night  to commemorate the astonishing career of Sir Alan Bates, we watch his astonishing performance in BUTLEY.  Thank the theatre gods it has been perserved for posterity.

My happiest theatre CD moments have come through the auspices of  Mr. BK, who has provided me with some wonderful tapes I was unaware of or had slipped under my radar and the playing of which has brought some new songs to my attention.  The recordings of Guy Haines have helped in this regard...Just on Haines His Way, songs like You Must Believe In Spring; I'm Glad to See You Got What You Want; The Sweetest of Nights and The Finest of Days; and Gettin' Nowhere Fast (though I don't believe this last is from any show) are now a part of my life.

I do suggest that Mr. Haines or his producer should perhaps send a packet of stuff to KSURF 1260 or 570, the two standard stations in town and maybe try to get some air time for these various and sundried collections. Given that Mr. Kimmel's pal Gary Owens dj's for 570, this shouldn't be too hard.

Tomovoz

« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2003, 11:25:31 AM »

LOL No! WeeStevie is an American working in London and he used to post infrequently.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2003, 11:32:27 AM »

Dr Jane, I thought you would likely have gotten a lot of snow last night there in the wilds of Ashland! My mom is in Medford and shouled e-mail her to see if she got snow too.

I had to park my car out in front of our building here at work as I couldn't get to where I normally park my car...just too much snow. I went to check on the car a few minutes ago and it was surrounded by fallen trees. So I hopped in and moved it but fast!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2003, 11:46:08 AM »

Happy 21st Birthday, DR Maya!

Good luck with the snow, Jane. I'm so glad not to be in Colorado or Canada anymore.

Still - I personally am freezing. Rodolfo should be singing about my cold hands. I'm sitting at the computer wearing a scarf and two sweaters - and this is California! My furnace went nuts last night - it suddenly became air conditioning.  Turns out it's the condenser and can't be fixed until tomorrow. While she's here visiting my daughter is sleeping on the pull-out in the living room, and she gets the one heater I own. So - as I said - I'm freezing my ass off.

Went to a late movie last night after another movie viewing date fell through because of acute (or a cute) misunderstanding by one of two parties. Which one of the two is a matter of conjecture. Anyway, we saw HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG, which, once you realize it's an OPERA, not a movie, is very good. The James Horner score I could've done without, however. When a film is so grand in emotional scale, we don't need the music to be even grander. Which brings me back to Rodolfo and my freezing hands. Cough...cough....
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 11:47:52 AM by Panni »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2003, 11:47:35 AM »

You did what?

Diane

« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2003, 11:52:54 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Good Vibes DR Jane![/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Vibes DR Jennifer :)[/move]

(I will e mail you a bit later)
I LOVE A Piano....

MBarnum

« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2003, 11:53:55 AM »

By the way, being stage deprived I have not seen a single play this year, so I do not have a 10 best list for you.

As for cast recording CDs the only two that I purchased in 2003 were the WILDCAT with Lucille Ball and Keith Andes and the new version of FLOWER DRUM SONG. So that would be my top two list! LOL!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2003, 11:58:05 AM »

[Cue music.]

Che gelida manina...
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2003, 11:59:24 AM »

Dear Reader MBarnum:

We're going to have to get you out of the house just a little more often in 2004.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2003, 12:00:36 PM »

Stage manager to Mae West in dressing room:

"Your cue..your cue....Miss Tyra...you're on."

Mae West as Miss Tyra:

"Oh yea?  How'm I doin'?"

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2003, 12:02:10 PM »

Sorry to read about Isabelle Stevenson. She was the living embodiment of the Tonys for the last couple of decades. Ah, me.   :(
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2003, 12:05:16 PM »

Ah yes....I remember DRCraig's description of Ms Stevenson at last year's Tony Awards.

Sad.  Sometimes on those shows, the older person doesn't seem to get it.....but she always did.  And in fact, she seemed a few steps ahead of some of the younger folks!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2003, 12:05:20 PM »

Thank you, Jay! Although I've seen Boheme at least ten times in my life (a couple of times in Hungarian - because in Hungary operas are done in Hungarian, screw those other silly languages)... I still couldn't think of the proper spelling and didn't want to appear multo stupido.

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2003, 12:07:52 PM »

Jennifer:  I hope the "Y" stands for youth and not for yogurt.  There is something unflattering about being compared to curdled cream. Yum!

Yes, I am feeeling a little better, thank you.  Maybe once I get done with Oliver next weekend, I can get back to my ususal posting frenzy.

Sorry whenever I see TCB I think of TCBY the ice cream store. But I do love ice cream!

And whenever I see your pic, it reminds me of ... oops :)

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2003, 12:10:20 PM »

I would also like to see more people post. But I think I know why someone might register and not post. Many people like to lurk. A lot of people are too shy to post. But being a registered user lets you see lots of different things on here that being a guest doesn't let you see.

Jason

« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2003, 12:12:46 PM »

MBarnum: No live theatre this year? That settles it...you're coming to New York and I'm dragging you to every show possible. I'll even sleep on the couch and you can have my little twin bed if you need a place to stay. You simply cannot go on like this--missing out on some of the best and most enjoyable live entertainment available. Of course, New York theatre is not the only good theatre to see, but you simply MUST see SOMETHING next year. You must, you must, you must (that's three must's.)

By the way, I still haven't received the package you spoke of...did the post office return it to you, or is your package yet another victim of my thieving post-person?

Jennifer

« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2003, 12:16:07 PM »

Ha DR Diane: You sure did get an earful :)

I too am theatre deprived (even though it's one of my greatest passions). There are not many musicals here in montreal. Although I could see more in french. I wouldn't mind seeing the new mega musical, don juan.

I think my favorite theatre experience this year was Miss Saigon. Love that show. Always have.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 12:20:49 PM by Jennifer »

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2003, 12:18:19 PM »

I agree Jason. We have a very good theater group in Salem, The Pentacle Theater. I meant to see a couple of plays there this year but didn't. And there is lots for professional theater in Portland. I do need to get out more. Tom Wopat was even here not too long ago and I would love to have seen him (don't recall the play he was in, though).

I would think that your package would have arrived by now! But maybe with the holidays it is delayed. Where does the mailman leave your packages? Just out in the open?

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2003, 12:24:58 PM »

When one has seen so much theater in his lifetime (plus participated in so much himself), I find it harder to rouse me out of my chair to go out to local theater. If I have close friends doing a show, I will go, or if someone offers me a free ticket, that's certainly an inducement. Otherwise, it would have to be a show I've never seen before and have wanted to see. Otherwise, I just can't summon up great desire to see another production of GODSPELL or THE MUSIC MAN.

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2003, 12:29:05 PM »

Oh, boy! My mail just came and one of the last DVDs I gave myself for Christmas finally arrived: LOVE ME TONIGHT! I know what I'm going to be watching this evening....

"Lover, when I'm near you and I hear you speak my name . . . ."

Tomovoz

« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2003, 12:30:31 PM »

My best theatre experience for 2003 is yet to happen: "The Full Monty" on New Year's Eve. I enjoyed a performance of "Bat Boy" Other productions I have seen this year (non-professional) were "Sweeney Todd", "Gigi" and "Pippin".
Theatre Cds (Thanks mostly to Dear Readers in the USA, and UK).
Amor
A Man Of No Importance
Nine
Little Shop Of Horrors
Man Of La Mancha
Avenue Q
Bat Boy
Urinetown (Well I didn't hear until this year)
DVD: Stritch, Barbara Cook and "Chess" (Swedish).

James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2003, 12:48:19 PM »

Looking back on 2003, I realize that I did not see very much theater this year.  No trips to New York or London not even any trips to Seattle for theater.  Other than the four productions that I was a member of the cast, I saw only two other shows the entire year. Is that possible?  yes, I guess so.  Both were local productions, both were musicals, and both surprised me with the quality of the productions.

The first was Little Shop of Horrors which was the show preceding Oliver out in Gig Harbor. Even though I prefer the cop-out ending of the movie, I have always liked that show.  It always seems like the little musical that could. For this production, I didn't know the director, I only knew one member of the cast, and I had heard some rumblings about troubled rehearsals so I went, not expecting a great deal.  It turned out that the pace was brisk, the cast likeable and talented, Audrey was a knockout, and even though Audrey II seemed more sewn than grown; the overall show was a delight.

Wow!  Long post.
To Be Continued.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jason

« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2003, 01:02:10 PM »

MBarnum: I just called the post office. No dice on the package. :( She said she'd check with the driver and the mailperson tomorrow, but I'm afraid it's lost in the Bermuda Triangle that apparently is my mailbox. I'm sorry...I was looking forward to whatever it was that you were sending me. If it is indeed lost, I'll need to know what you sent me so I can report it to to the Postmaster General. This would make the eleventh package to go missing this year. Maybe it just got delayed due to the holidays...we'll see.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2003, 01:24:22 PM »

H A P P Y  B I R T H D A Y !!!

M A Y A N A I S E!!!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up