Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A CASABA MELON  (Read 23780 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:A CASABA MELON
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2007, 09:25:48 AM »

Paris is a spoiled little brat that needs a swift kick in the pants!

Perhaps, but a "mob" mentality isn't justice.  Pray you get proper justice should someone take you to court.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2007, 09:26:03 AM »

Too much of the later has broken many of the former.

der Brucer

Or "inspired" it.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2007, 09:27:17 AM »

TOD:

I cannot recall, for the life of me, whether I enjoyd "Old Maid" or not, but I certainly played it.

Later on, Spades and Rummy were games I liked.

In college, I fell in love with Canasta.

During my Navy years, I was introduced to Bridge...and continue to love the game.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2007, 09:31:28 AM »

Perhaps, but a "mob" mentality isn't justice.  Pray you get proper justice should someone take you to court.

I've been wondering about the whole "mob mentality" aspect of this case - especially in regards to how the media has been covering this whole, stupid situation.  Suppose Ms. Hilton's case had been covered quietly, even ignored by the mainstream media, would a "mob mentality" come into the picture?

I do have to say the pics of her crying in the car did induce some schadenfreude in me yesterday, but I also had to wonder just how much of those tears were caused by all the photographers and news people hounding her during that very private moment.  Alas, she's chosen to live her life very much in the public eye, and, sadly(?), I guess she couldn't even have a non-public moment when she wanted one.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 09:32:05 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2007, 09:31:33 AM »

DR elmore - The East Side?!?!?!?!?  I thought you said the West Side?  I usually don't head East of Fifth Avenue after 8:00pm.  ;D

In any case... What time? And where?

Why don't you  meet me here at 7:00 and we'll head over.  I'm sure there will be a fantastic spread of food and lots of neat people.  It's a 66th and York.

What happened to ACL tonight?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2007, 09:33:19 AM »

I don't think she got "proper justice" the first time around.  The judge may have over-reacted yesterday, but both both her camps and the seriff's office undermined him so he's paying her back.  Looks to me like Ms Hilton's reps cut off her nose to spite her face.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 09:34:29 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »

Why don't you  meet me here at 7:00 and we'll head over.  I'm sure there will be a fantastic spread of food and lots of neat people.  It's a 66th and York.

What happened to ACL tonight?

OK, that should work out - I may be there a little after 7:00.

As for ACL tonight, well, Patrick had just asked me if I was available "just in case".  He's been doing double duty this week with all the Tony Awards prep, so he was thinking he might take tonight off in order to rest up for tomorrow.  However, I'm pretty sure I would have heard something by now, so....  I'll see you a little after 7:00.

-Were you thinking of just cabbing it over?  And casual and cool attire for tonight?
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2007, 09:37:27 AM »

TOD: Old Maid and a card game called "Authors".

It's still around:

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2007, 09:40:37 AM »

...I  have to be re-educated each time.

Ooh. such a fun date!

der Brucer

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2007, 09:40:53 AM »

It's still around:

This looks like the very deck we used!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2007, 09:42:26 AM »

I always thought Stevenson was the best looking author. And we always said their full name: Alfred Lord Tennyson, Robert Louis Stevenson, Sir Walter Scott...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2007, 09:43:09 AM »

Acutally, now that I look at it, our deck didn't have the illustrations from the books over the authors' heards.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2007, 09:44:45 AM »

Somebody needs a bitchslapping...and it now looks like it's the judge.

Behind all of this is an on-going battle between City/County/State law enforcement on jurisdictioal issues, plus Federal Court Decrees on Prison conditons.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2007, 09:47:18 AM »

Paris is a spoiled little brat that needs a swift kick in the pants!

Hey, it's not all her fault - she was raised his way! She's just the little bitch princess Mommy wanted!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2007, 09:51:18 AM »

Well, I thought we were asking about the listing in the NY Times ABC's - which does not ignore the articles, so..  Thus, "A CASABA MELON" would come before "AARDVARKS".

Right?

If they don't ignore articles, then YES!

der Brucer
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 10:03:00 AM by DERBRUCER »

Edisaurus

« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2007, 09:55:54 AM »

Note to Randy Newman fans: DR Cillaliz, Der B, Tomovoz, bk...and the rest...

Randy will be the special guest on "A Prairie Home Companion" tonight!

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/stations/list.php
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 09:56:28 AM by Edisaurus »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2007, 10:02:37 AM »

... how could she have not known her license was suspended when it was the second time?

Because she is merely a player in a grand drama orchestrated by Momma! She certainly never opens, or reads, her mail - as she said "I have people who take care of these things". (The suspension notice was in her glove compartment - the court did not suspend her license - the DMV did.)

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2007, 10:03:23 AM »

OK, that should work out - I may be there a little after 7:00.

As for ACL tonight, well, Patrick had just asked me if I was available "just in case".  He's been doing double duty this week with all the Tony Awards prep, so he was thinking he might take tonight off in order to rest up for tomorrow.  However, I'm pretty sure I would have heard something by now, so....  I'll see you a little after 7:00.

-Were you thinking of just cabbing it over?  And casual and cool attire for tonight?

Yes to both.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2007, 10:27:10 AM »

my parents and grandparents used to play Hearts at our Monday night dinners.  And Grandpa Gross used to play pinochle at the pinochle parlour across from the Hotel St. Regis (those who've read Benjamin Kritzer know all this).  Now, let's have some instructional postings on HOW to play Hearts and Canasta and Pinochle.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2007, 10:28:19 AM »

DEER GIRL

While her media coverage doesn't match up to her well-known daughter, Kathy Hilton is not alien to the limelight. She was a guest star on "Happy Days" in 1977 and appeared on "The Rockford Files" in '78.

It is Kathy who has made Paris what she is today, pushing her daughter into the spotlight from the start, firm that her eldest child would attain the megastar standing she had never managed.

Kathy carefully trained Paris and her younger sister Nicky for a life of reputation and fame.

"Kathy was absolutely pushy, arrogant, condescending and presumptuous and Paris picked that up from her. The spotlight always had to be on Kathy. It was always, 'Do you know who I am?'" said Peggy Cusack Yakovlev, a former personal assistant to Kathy's husband Rick's uncle, Eric Hilton.

Kathy initiated her daughters into the gracious society of celebrities, guiding Paris through her first appearance as a child model at charity events before making her sign Donald Trump's modelling agency at 19.

"Kathy wanted to expose her girls to the social and nightlife world in Manhattan. She wanted her girls to be in the limelight - and she certainly accomplished that," Gini Tangalakis, the mother of an old schoolfriend of Paris's sister Nicky, said.

Kathy supported Paris even during her most infamous and disreputable controversies, claiming that her daughter could do nothing wrong.

When a homemade sex tape called "One Night in Paris" surfaced on the Internet, Hilton characterized her daughter as a victim.

Now, as Paris is set for the prison term, Kathy is fiercely defending her first-born.

"She's eccentric, she's herself and she never hurts anybody. It upsets me that she gets taken advantage of, but I think we've all learned to deal with it. You know what she is really like. She is like Bambi. She is like a little deer," Kathy said.

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2007, 10:34:30 AM »

If they don't ignore articles, then YES!

der Brucer

But remember that "Wicked" needs to be listed well after "The Wiz".

DERBRUCER

« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2007, 10:42:20 AM »

Now, let's have some instructional postings on HOW to play Hearts and Canasta and Pinochle.

Hearts - a racist game - beware the Black Bitch!

Canasta - Step One - Buy a tray!

If it's double-deck, do daily exercises to increase palm strength.
Canvas the neighborhood for widows who do not play Bingo - they are candidates for your Canasta Party; Canasta must always be accompanied by various and sundried foodstuffs.

Pinochle - Never ask "What Would Jesus Do ?"

Bridge -  Frequent incantations to Satan help; cannibalism is common.

der Brucer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2007, 10:51:48 AM »

How spoiled we are all getting (or perhaps I should say that I am getting).  After reading the notes, I saw that there was already 111 posts for today.  I was like, "Wow...awesome... incredible."

Then I clicked on Daily Discussions, and it was like, "WHAT?  Four pages?  That's all?"

Spoiled I tell you, I have become spoiled.  Not so long ago we would have been on a record setting pace.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2007, 11:03:11 AM »

Canasta playing requires proper footwear:

Unless you also do kitchen duty, then:

der Brucer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2007, 11:05:55 AM »

Remind the "younger cast members" that it ran on Broadway for two years with an inept Bernadette Peters, Susan Lucci whom I did not see, and the incomparable Reba McEntire!

........with the WSMA opposite Reba.
“One thing’s universal,

DERBRUCER

« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2007, 11:07:12 AM »

Elmore's bosses look for bargain office space:

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2007, 11:16:13 AM »

Food scare moves east:

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Tyson Recalls 40,000 Pounds of Ground Beef Amid E. Coli Scare
Saturday , June 09, 2007

SPRINGDALE, Ark. —

Tyson Fresh Meats Inc. on Friday recalled more than 40,000 pounds of ground beef shipped to Wal-Mart stores in 12 states after samples tested at a Sherman, Texas, plant showed signs of E. coli contamination.

No illnesses had been reported. Springdale-based Tyson Foods Inc. said the recall is not related to contaminated ground beef distributed by California-based United Food Group LLC.

The recalled products were sent to Wal-Mart stores in Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Texas, Tyson said.

Wal-Mart has removed the products from its meat cases and is destroying the recalled ground beef still in its possession, officials said.

Tyson recalled 40,440 pounds of ground beef, all of which had sell-by dates of June 13. The ground beef was sold in prepackaged trays that were placed directly into the meat case.

der Brucer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #117 on: June 09, 2007, 11:18:37 AM »

I used to love GIN

Now, as for the TOD:

AUTHORS - my favorite game
FREE CELL
POKER
SPITE AND MALICE
GIN RUMMY
“One thing’s universal,

DERBRUCER

« Reply #118 on: June 09, 2007, 11:31:02 AM »

Looks like many of Edisaurus's friends in one place:

Rock Hall's Biggest Snub, Awarded

Don Kirshner is back.

The man who invented the Brill Building and published all the hits written by Carole King and Gerry Goffin, Neil Diamond, Neil Sedaka, Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil, helped invent Phil Spector and the Monkees and even created music television before MTV is not in Jann Wenner’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

But last night, Kirshner, 73, was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame for giving birth to a substantial part of what we now know as contemporary pop, rock and soul music.

der Brucer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2007, 11:47:02 AM »

[size=8]PAGE.......[/size]
[/color][/b]
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up