Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: FLIRTING WITH A GNU  (Read 13415 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: FLIRTING WITH A GNU
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2014, 03:26:18 PM »

Three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2014, 04:04:52 PM »

It's bluebonnet time here.

Lovely.  We are having a beautiful spring day.  We went to a nursery, walked in and were shocked to find almost nothing there.  The owners sold the property and are retiring.  When we moved here there were 3 nurseries and now there is only one left, which we did head over to before coming home.  Thank goodness there is one left and it is the largest of the three.

Jane

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2014, 04:09:32 PM »

The views from the nursery are beautiful.  I apologize I only found a photo on facebook, so those of you who can see this....

Jane

« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2014, 04:30:46 PM »

It is a bit confusing, and potentially embarrassing, having a conversation on FB when Keith joins in and pretends to be me.  I started to repeat myself today  ;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2014, 04:33:20 PM »

DR Cilla I am glad you are pleased with your new doctor.  I'm a bit confused though, is this out of a hospital?  Residents do rotations.  Does this mean you will have a different doctor each time you go?
http://www.siouxlandresidency.org/index.html
Here's the program.  I may get a different doctor every time but that's ok with me.

Jane

« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2014, 04:40:38 PM »

Residents probably don't have to rush like a private practice might.  I hope you continue to be pleased with your care.  I notice they also have medical students.  What we learned from Bryan is you want the doctors in a long coat vs short.  The short coats are not doctors yet ;)

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2014, 04:50:58 PM »

TOD:

I love card games!
Aunt Esther: I have the spirit of Christmas . . .
Fred Sanford: . . . and the face of Halloween!

A house divided by itself, falls down.
-- Edith Baines Bunker

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2014, 04:51:51 PM »

When I was a youngster, we played 52 PICKUP and UNO, GO FISH, OLD MAID and MILLE BOURNES.

-- Edith Baines Bunker

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2014, 04:53:32 PM »

Then, I got to know more about cards through my Dad who was an inveterate Army veteran card player.  He taught me many variations of POKER and SOLITAIRE.  He also tried to teach me PINOCHLE, which I didn't grasp at the time.

-- Edith Baines Bunker

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2014, 05:01:50 PM »

Then, around the time I graduated from the Kiddie table to the Grown-up table at Thanksgiving, I was invited to play the family gathering poker game.  Not being a very religious family, we even played poker-type games at Christmas too.  My grandmother was the luckiest lady I ever knew, but I did my fair share of winning.  We would play NO-PEAK BASEBALL, ACEY-DEUCY, and poker games with wild cards.  Some games wound up with big pots.  Some holiday gatherings I would have a nice little kitty (no, not the one pictured in my avatar) to take back with me, especially when I was in college.

-- Edith Baines Bunker

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2014, 05:05:12 PM »

As an adult nearing the top of the hill, I love card games.  I have tried to teach myself BRIDGE many times.  One of my co-workers back in NYC was a champion Bridge player who supplemented his income by winning tournaments.  One of the jobs I held, I worked for a private law firm in which the "old man" of the firm was a member of the social club that included Bob Guccione.  I think it was on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.  There they would play WHIST, which I was interested in since it is a precursor to BRIDGE.

-- Edith Baines Bunker

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2014, 05:08:04 PM »

I am also very interested in oracle cards, such as GUARDIAN ANGEL cards and the various TAROT decks.  After all the standard playing card deck is somehow related to tarot.  I'm also interested in Napoleon's oracle and (I think it's called) LeNormand. 

I guess it would be safe to say that I like cards.  If anyone out there has any spare credit cards, I will accept those as well. ;)

-- Edith Baines Bunker

Ginny

« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2014, 05:19:51 PM »

And....Mee-chigan advances to the Sweet Sixteen!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2014, 05:22:53 PM »

The word of the day, NOETIC, is one of my favorite words as it can be used to describe metaphysics, or things that lay outside of what is considered to be the boundaries of accepted knowledge.  I've always been a seeker of knowledge and, as a result, have always enjoyed "In Search Of" and other things that some may term the "tin foil hat" crowd.  I think it is much more mature to be open to all possibilities.  As much as I may have learned in my life so far, there are many things that are still unknown.  Science does not explain everything since it is self-defined and is limited by even the most accurate measuring sticks mankind has ever devised.  By definition, these measuring sticks are imperfect because we are not perfect. 

By all accounts, my disease was so far along last year, that I "should have" died.  That I have been cleared of all disease, where I had cancer in every single place, in every single organ, and in every single system in my body, is not just a testament to science.  The treatments I underwent were so harsh, I could have succumbed to that alone.  For whatever reason, it was not "my time" and I am here.  I must make use of this time that I have been afforded, no matter the day-to-day difficulties I have to deal with and overcome.

(I yield the floor and did not mean to soliloquize.)

-- Edith Baines Bunker

John G.

« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2014, 06:18:56 PM »

Congratulations, DR Dan, on your milestone.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2014, 06:19:49 PM »

Took a nap and went out to get some fried chicken from a chain I had not tried called Bush's. The chicken is meh, but the fried okra was wonderful.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2014, 06:24:48 PM »

Page three?  Really?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2014, 06:26:21 PM »

Since I have the free trial of Netflix I sampled the first episode of Breaking Bad, which everyone and their mother has told me is the greatest show in the history of television.  Does that happen AFTER episode one?  The actors are good, certainly, but the style is not my favorite and I'm not sure I would want to watch an entire season of this story, let alone two.

Cillaliz

« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2014, 06:29:18 PM »

Residents probably don't have to rush like a private practice might.  I hope you continue to be pleased with your care.  I notice they also have medical students.  What we learned from Bryan is you want the doctors in a long coat vs short.  The short coats are not doctors yet ;)

As long as they confer with a doctor, I don't care that much.

Ginny

« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2014, 06:31:16 PM »

And....Mee-chigan advances to the Sweet Sixteen!

Dayton Flyers, too!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2014, 06:35:30 PM »

When I was a kid I played, Old Maid, Crazy 8s, Kings on the Corner, Go Fish, War, and whatever else
When I got older it was Gin Rummy, Spades, Hearts, Euchre, Cribbage, Poker, Black Jack, and another I can't think the name of

Cillaliz

« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2014, 06:40:25 PM »

Iowa State Cyclones too!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2014, 06:46:32 PM »

Hello, all. Sorry; nothing especially interesting to report.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2014, 06:47:26 PM »

TOD:

I think the first was was Go Fish.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2014, 06:47:51 PM »

DR Ginny - here, Izzy's is an ice cream parlor.       :)

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2014, 07:07:41 PM »

Beautiful photos, DRs John G. and Jane!

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2014, 07:10:47 PM »

Congratulations, DR Dan, on your milestone.

HOORAY!  Thanks for pointing out that I too have a MILLSTONE! ;)  I feel like one of the gang (as in "The Gang's All Here").

-- Edith Baines Bunker

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2014, 07:17:45 PM »

Since I have the free trial of Netflix I sampled the first episode of Breaking Bad, which everyone and their mother has told me is the greatest show in the history of television.  Does that happen AFTER episode one?  The actors are good, certainly, but the style is not my favorite and I'm not sure I would want to watch an entire season of this story, let alone two.

When I was in and out of the hospital last year, I saw some episodes of "Breaking Bad".  Now, granted I was in the hospital, but after all what better "captive" audience with limited TV options, I tried to like the show, but it didn't click with me.  I also tried to "get" "The Walking Dead", but it just didn't happen.  I'm just so over zombies and meth-heads (maybe they're the same?).

-- Edith Baines Bunker

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2014, 07:25:08 PM »

On a happy note, a friend of mine stopped by today and brought me a 1946 first edition of Frank Tashlin's The Bear That Wasn't because she knows how much I like classic cartoons and Frank Tashlin's movies.  The string sewing the binding together is coming apart, so I'm wondering if I should have the book conserved.  Otherwise, there's no markings in the book and it wasn't a library copy.  (My copy is not the one depicted in the picture.)

-- Edith Baines Bunker

John G.

« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2014, 07:26:49 PM »

No great interest in catching up with Breaking Bad, though I enjoy Bryan Cranston.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up