Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: FIGHTING THE GUCK  (Read 17423 times)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
Re: FIGHTING THE GUCK
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2014, 02:40:32 PM »

TTFN.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2014, 03:11:27 PM »

I am home from a busy day. I had a nice lunch at The Brooklyn Diner with my friend Roland, whom I've known since 1971, Then we both walked to City Center; he went in the front door, I went in the stage door. Sat backstage and watched IRMA LA DOUCE, chatted with Robert Kimball and John Kander, who were there for the talkback. Then I visited briefly with Rob Berman and his parents, and headed home.

I am very tired.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2014, 03:29:37 PM »

Page three?  Really?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2014, 03:30:31 PM »

Good rehearsal today.  Sadly, Kay Cole, who was with us today, got the news that her mom passed away - it's been coming for a long time so not a surprise.  She was going with me to the STAGE benefit tonight, so I'm trying to find someone to go with at this late hour.

ChasSmith

« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2014, 03:43:52 PM »

Sorry for Kay Cole's news.

But kind of glad that post didn't say she'd broken something else...

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2014, 03:47:53 PM »

so back to yesterday  so as I said  I went to an Amateur production of Fiddler.  Some good friends of mine and heir three sons were in the production,
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2014, 03:53:21 PM »

during the scene where  the eldest daughter and the tailor are asking Tevya for permission to marry there was a loud crash in the back of the house  and then a voice yelled out  "Stop!  House lights!"

An elderly woman had  collapsed and fallen off her chair and taken some  other chairs with her in her fall (the show is in a church hall on temporary rises and the seats are metal folding chairs)  so there was a  30 minutes delay in  the show while  911  was called  and the ambulance and medics and police showed up and evaluated her and took her away  and then chairs were reset and then the show  started back up

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2014, 03:54:56 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS to JOHN G!! Are you treating yourself to anything besides the free time?

I haven't decided yet. If I were smart, I'd treat myself to a house cleaning.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

vixmom

« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2014, 03:55:22 PM »

After the show Vixter and I were invited out with the cast so  we all went to the local diner - about 30 of us in all  (not everyone came out)  and we didn't get home until nearly 2 Am

John G.

« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2014, 03:55:59 PM »

Good rehearsal today.  Sadly, Kay Cole, who was with us today, got the news that her mom passed away - it's been coming for a long time so not a surprise.  She was going with me to the STAGE benefit tonight, so I'm trying to find someone to go with at this late hour.

Vibes of comfort for Kay Cole.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2014, 03:57:18 PM »

Sounds horrible, Vixmom. Hope the lady's OK.
― Voltaire

vixmom

« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2014, 04:00:14 PM »

Do tother parts of the  US have 24 hour diners with full menus or is that just a Long Island thing?

vixmom

« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2014, 04:03:39 PM »

for instance I had  crab meat stuffed mushrooms,  the woman across from me had pancakes and sausage , someone else had hamburger  another had  fried shrimp , another a half broiled chicken  with all the trimmings, another a grilled cheese... all after midnight -  is this as normal where you all live as it is on Long Island?

vixmom

« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2014, 04:04:57 PM »

My sympathies to Kay Cole , it is hard to lose your Mom  but it must be especially hard  for it to happen right before Mothers Day

vixmom

« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2014, 04:07:03 PM »

John G  I keep forgetting to extend my congratulations on you r  great achievement! To have completed your Masters while simultaneously working full time and  judging  contests and  writing two books.... I' worn out just typing that!

vixmom

« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2014, 04:09:44 PM »

Sounds horrible, Vixmom. Hope the lady's OK.

She looked fine going out -  I suspect (and I have no evidence for said suspicion) that  she fell asleep  and fell off her chair ...(it gives you an idea of the  quality of the show if you can  think someone fell asleep after tradition and If I were a Rich Man

vixmom

« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2014, 04:10:08 PM »

as I said VERY good friends in the production

ChasSmith

« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2014, 04:21:45 PM »

Vixmom, the 24-hour diners are very much a metro-NYC thing, and some of the New England ones are 24 hours, too.

I've lived here too long now to know about the rest of the country, but historically I think this is the way it is.  (I love 'em!)

vixmom

« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2014, 04:32:48 PM »

Vixmom, the 24-hour diners are very much a metro-NYC thing, and some of the New England ones are 24 hours, too.

I've lived here too long now to know about the rest of the country, but historically I think this is the way it is.  (I love 'em!)

I love them too -  I can't imagine not being able to  get anything I want to eat at 3 am --- Of course I also have trouble imagining being more that 20 minutes from a beach--- 

things you take for granted when you're a born and raised Lawn Guylanda

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2014, 04:35:31 PM »

My sympathies to Kay Cole , it is hard to lose your Mom  but it must be especially hard  for it to happen right before Mothers Day

Ditto!

Jane

« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2014, 04:41:26 PM »

My father talked my mother into waiting until the day after Mother's Day before going into the hospital to die.  I talked Keith into waiting until the day after Mother's Day to take Sherlock.  I try not to focus on these facts and just enjoy Mother's Day.

Jane

« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2014, 04:41:58 PM »

as I said VERY good friends in the production

;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2014, 04:46:02 PM »

Page three?  Really?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2014, 04:46:46 PM »

The original plan was to drive down there at five-thirty and eat, but now that I'm apparently flying solo this evening I just went and a cup of chicken soup and a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2014, 04:47:18 PM »

I'll still probably get down there by six so I can get parking, and they do have the silent auction stuff to peruse.

Ginny

« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2014, 05:22:08 PM »

Mary Linda and I had a delightful afternoon with Katie and Laura.  We met up there with Laura's friend Megan and her mom Becky.  Becky said to me, "I know you!"  She worked as a student assistant in the campus library about 30 years ago.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ChasSmith

« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2014, 05:31:23 PM »

I love them too -  I can't imagine not being able to  get anything I want to eat at 3 am --- Of course I also have trouble imagining being more that 20 minutes from a beach--- 

things you take for granted when you're a born and raised Lawn Guylanda

If I were at one right now, I'd be all too tempted to order the french fries with bacon, cheese, and gravy.

Ginny

« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2014, 05:33:53 PM »

One of the stops on the tour was The Gift Gallery on Central Avenue.  The owner, Melody, and I finally determined that we knew each other from being in DR Elmore's YOU'RE A GOOD MAN CHARLIE BROWN together in 1976.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2014, 05:57:59 PM »

DR Cillaliz that is good that you found a solution for everyone involved.  My only problem with the situation is that your brother said it was fine and then 2 days before changed his mind.  IMO if he commits to your idea then it is unfair to you to want to change it last minute.  He should have discussed it with his family at the time to let you know.

Oh I know.  But it is what it is.  It's been like this for years and it's just not worth arguing about any more

Cillaliz

« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2014, 06:01:57 PM »

What is it about aging that seems to bring out so many sibling issues that one never knew existed?  Much as I love my brother Randy, he's currently in the doghouse with the Macbeths over my dad's property. As to the Macbeths, they're dead meat. Yet thirty years ago I would never have expected to discover how much Macbeth disliked me. I certainly never had issues with him.

DR cillaliz, I think your solution for Mother's Day is a very clever one. Have fun today.

DR George, don't forget a program for me!

Thanks Elmore.   We did have a great day and my mother pulled a very clever one.  She called my brother this morning before I got there and invited him and told him we'd let him know when I got there.   Then when I arrived she told me to call him because he wanted to go to lunch with us and was waiting for me to call.   LOL!  I called and my sister-in-law said "I have no idea what you're talking about, let me talk to him and I'll call you right back"  so she called a couple minutes later and said "We'll be there at 12"

I didn't find out until I called my brother on the way back home that it was all mom's doing.  She cracks me up. She obviously wanted to have a meal with both of us.  So she got that.  We had a great lunch and they were babysitting for Dash so we got to see him too.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up