Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAY OF THE STUMBLE-THROUGH  (Read 3872 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: THE DAY OF THE STUMBLE-THROUGH
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2014, 06:57:02 PM »

Just put on "The Monuments Men." The first word out of someone's mouth is a German saying, "Champagne!"

I'm gonna get bitchy here, but a real German would call for Sekt, their word for any sparkling wine and the word they used throughout the war, according to a book I read on how the French winemakers tried to subvert their best vintages in the 1940s from falling into Nazi hands.

They walled in full vintages to hide them, and they forgot about them. When the bottles were found in the 1990s, they were in excellent condition.

I hope the rest of the film is better.

LOL  They could have had him say Sekt and done a subtitle ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2014, 07:11:57 PM »

Lovely tribute to your mother, DR Laura

Cillaliz

« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2014, 07:13:53 PM »

Had a good time at the festival today, but had to do it in phases.  I went for the first hour and a half, and then came home for awhile, then went back for about three hours and decided I was done.  It was very hot.  I drank 10-20 ounce bottles of water!  And a glass of beer, and a diet coke..... It was hot and humid....I'm really glad I stayed hydrated or I'd probably be sick right now

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #123 on: July 05, 2014, 07:26:29 PM »

The fireworks have started again out in the street. Guess it's good background noise with a war movie.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Cillaliz

« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2014, 07:27:39 PM »

I can hear them here too.  The SITP fireworks will start soon. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: July 05, 2014, 07:41:08 PM »

There can't be fireworks on the fifth of July - it's unAmerican!

Cillaliz

« Reply #126 on: July 05, 2014, 07:59:31 PM »

There are fireworks here for days...I wish they happened once and were done

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #127 on: July 05, 2014, 08:02:34 PM »

Good morning.

Today would have been my mother's 95th birthday. At my church, celebrating 90th birthdays is a big thing, since most people don't make it to 100.

My mother didn't make it to 90. She passed away at 84. But I held a celebration on her 90th, anyway.

Her 90th birthday was on a Sunday. I placed pink flowers on the worship table. After the morning prayer was concluded, our pianist accompanied me on "His Eye is on the Sparrow," her favorite hymn. Our wonderful Elmore wrote a very beautiful special arrangement just for this occasion.  Thank you again, Elmore.

What a wonderful way to honor your mother.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

ChasSmith

« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2014, 08:17:14 PM »

Fireworks in neighborhoods like mine (large lots, lots of trees, some hills, lots of privacy in comparison with typical city living) start around Memorial Day and are heard to greater and lesser degree all summer.  Especially this week, of course.  The town's official fireworks display was put off till tonight because of the weather, and it's an exceptionally beautiful day and evening so all the aficionados are going crazy tonight as well. 

Laura

« Reply #129 on: July 05, 2014, 08:21:50 PM »

Thank you, everyone.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #130 on: July 05, 2014, 08:22:22 PM »

I spent the morning at the arboretum. I am amazed we could stay outside until 1 p.m. (in the shade for the last couple of hours).

Laura

« Reply #131 on: July 05, 2014, 08:22:45 PM »

And now there appears to be a storm approaching from the northeast. I hope it makes it here!

John G.

« Reply #132 on: July 05, 2014, 08:35:27 PM »

Vibes for your storm, Laura.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #133 on: July 05, 2014, 08:36:59 PM »

Well, I enjoyed "The Monuments Men" overall, as something to have on while cleaning. I really liked the ending when Nick Clooney shows up. I used to watch him when I lived in the Cincinnati area.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2014, 08:38:26 PM »

I actually got some stuff cleaned today. Nowhere near done, but things are certainly a lot better than they were. Now I may be able to focus on getting last year's taxes done.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #135 on: July 05, 2014, 08:47:28 PM »

Having had to get up so early this morning, I'm really feeling it now and I'm just about down for the count.

ChasSmith

« Reply #136 on: July 05, 2014, 08:58:06 PM »

I think we should be able to go around yelling "Sekt!" in the same way people yelled "Tak!" in the Stephen King story.

John G.

« Reply #137 on: July 05, 2014, 09:05:22 PM »

I think we should be able to go around yelling "Sekt!" in the same way people yelled "Tak!" in the Stephen King story.

If I got bottles of sparkling wine for saying that, I'd say it as soon as I woke up and not stop until bedtime.

With that, good night.
― Voltaire

Cillaliz

« Reply #138 on: July 05, 2014, 09:24:48 PM »

Hopefully fireworks have stopped for the night.  Tomorrow is supposed to be even hotter and more humid than today, so I'm planning an indoor day.  I have lots of projects which I may or may not do.  I've been outside a lot lately, I could use a nice quite air conditioned day

Cillaliz

« Reply #139 on: July 05, 2014, 09:27:50 PM »

I'm thinking of getting a new TV for my birthday.  The VIZIO I have in the living room is one I think I bought before I moved from my old house, so it would be about 8 years old.  It's a 32 inch.  I could go a little bigger, but don't need to go a lot bigger.  I could move this one down the basement for when I exercise....which I want to start doing again.   Any suggestions on what might be good? I like to go for the cheapest, but that's not always the best idea.  I'm only thinking 38-40 inches at the most.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2014, 11:07:12 PM »

Page five?  Really?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: July 05, 2014, 11:07:46 PM »

Finished with my viewing - one good movie, one awful movie.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #142 on: July 06, 2014, 12:01:06 AM »

Chas, do you feel that everyone wants your money? I'm quite familiar with that one.

Oh yes, times like this usually bring up that feeling.  And it always seems that things run in groups, so that as soon as the second or third thing goes wrong, it somehow opens you up to the big bad universe and other things rush in to join the party.

JRand may have a explanation for that. One of the planets decides that our money needs to be redistributed and BAM! Car repair! Dental work! You name it.

And speaking of dental work, I just got a bill for $178!  WTF??  I've never had to pay before...it's always been covered by my dental insurance.  They didn't do anything special the last time (at the beginning of May), so why do I have to pay?  I'll make a call on Monday, for sure!

VIBES IT IS THEIR ERROR!!

Thanks, Jane!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #143 on: July 06, 2014, 12:05:45 AM »

in the library/private study of my dreams.     

And this is a photo of where it will be located, so no one will be bothering me...       ;D

Wow!  That sure is remote...and I'm sure has a fantastic view.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #144 on: July 06, 2014, 12:07:21 AM »

There are fireworks here for days...I wish they happened once and were done

Fortunately, it's all quiet here, except that I'm watching "Hey, Mr. Producer: The World of Cameron Macintosh."  I still love this!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up