Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: ANOTHER OP'NIN', ANOTHER SHOW  (Read 14106 times)

FJL

Re: ANOTHER OP'NIN', ANOTHER SHOW
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2014, 12:43:21 PM »

DR FJL it is nice you not only helped make your mother's birthday extra special but also enjoyed the celebration weekend.

Thanks, Jane!  And having had smooth plane trips both ways, with no delays, was an added lucky bonus. 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2014, 12:58:33 PM »

Welcome back, DR FJL!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2014, 01:19:06 PM »

I'm up again.  I watched a movie until about eight or so, then went back to bed and slept until one so that must be eight hour all told.  But I'm so groggy now and stuffed up, but hopefully in the two and a half hours before I leave I'll be fine.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2014, 01:26:05 PM »

DR FJL it is nice you not only helped make your mother's birthday extra special but also enjoyed the celebration weekend.

Thanks, Jane!  And having had smooth plane trips both ways, with no delays, was an added lucky bonus. 

A BIG bonus :)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2014, 01:36:32 PM »

Before the pill kicked in, I sat up reading a copy of Charleston Receipts that someone gave me. It's the Junior League cookbook from Charleston, S.C., and I've long wanted a copy since Pat Conroy has written about it numerous times.

Some of the recipes (or receipts, as they call them) are wonderful. And it's amazing to see how much anchovy people used to put in their food. I'm all for that.

What isn't surprising however is the level of racism throughout the book. At the top of every page are two silhouettes of Aunt Jemima-type black women and many of the recipes have introductions written in a horrific dialect. This edition was from 1970, so I know it was to be expected. I just never like experiencing it. 

This intrigued me so I looked it up.  I was curious as to the original year it was published (1950) and if the recipes were from the league members or their black cooks.  Most of all I wondered if the horrific dialect was genuine, and apparently it is.

"Each section of the cookbook begins with a portion of Gullah dialect and verse. The Meats section begins with the admonition, “Ef dey ain’ bin no meat pun’ de table, de dinnuh ain’ wut!” And the fish section’s introduction is a recipe in itself:  “‘E hab uh hebby pan full uh mullet, en’ ‘e hab swimp en’ crab all two, en’ ‘e hab hominy en’ ting.”

"I’ll admit that when my sister gave me this cookbook as a Christmas present, I was as horrified as if she’d presented me with a set of “Mammy” salt shakers.  But being a good librarian, I decided to do a little research on the subject, which led me to the Gullah roots of Charleston Receipts.

For the complete article 

Thank you for that article. In the beginning of the book, there is the usual garbage from Southern whites about longing for a "more pleasant time." Then they talk about a black servant and put her name in quotes, "Patsie," as if she were a pet. I'm sure "Patsie" wasn't longing for the same "more pleasant time" that was the others were.

But I am going to use the book. There are really good recipes and they seem fairly simple to make. Though I doubt I'm going to make Cooter Pie (terrapin) anytime soon.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2014, 01:37:21 PM »

Great to have you back, FJL.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2014, 01:58:31 PM »

Fly through the fireworks without the sound:

http://time.com/2957348/fireworks-drone/
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2014, 02:40:11 PM »

Page three?  Really?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2014, 02:40:34 PM »

Finally starting to feel awake.  I'll shower in a little while, then be on my way to The Federal.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2014, 03:03:36 PM »

That's really cool!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2014, 03:10:10 PM »

Sunday evening greetings!  Today was not a Lima day, so we met Rob and Mary Linda at their church.  They had a guest preacher - The Very Reverand Dr. Richard Palmer - who delivered an excellent sermon that was much shorter than their usual.  We chatted at coffee hour, then made our way to downtown Dayton for my former coworker Leon's memorial service.  He had requested that there be a pie reception afterwards and there I visited with many library folks and some from the nonprofit community.  I had intended to paint when we got home and Richard was going to do laundry, but we're both pretty wiped out.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2014, 03:20:01 PM »

That's really cool!

It was cool when I posted it yesterday, too.       ;)
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2014, 03:20:33 PM »

I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2014, 03:21:18 PM »

Back home for a few precious moments, before having to head out once again.       :P 

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2014, 03:25:31 PM »

DR FJL - so glad that you had a wonderful and enjoyable trip, and that you were there for your mother's celebration.

Jane

« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2014, 03:32:07 PM »

Before the pill kicked in, I sat up reading a copy of Charleston Receipts that someone gave me. It's the Junior League cookbook from Charleston, S.C., and I've long wanted a copy since Pat Conroy has written about it numerous times.

Some of the recipes (or receipts, as they call them) are wonderful. And it's amazing to see how much anchovy people used to put in their food. I'm all for that.

What isn't surprising however is the level of racism throughout the book. At the top of every page are two silhouettes of Aunt Jemima-type black women and many of the recipes have introductions written in a horrific dialect. This edition was from 1970, so I know it was to be expected. I just never like experiencing it. 

This intrigued me so I looked it up.  I was curious as to the original year it was published (1950) and if the recipes were from the league members or their black cooks.  Most of all I wondered if the horrific dialect was genuine, and apparently it is.

"Each section of the cookbook begins with a portion of Gullah dialect and verse. The Meats section begins with the admonition, “Ef dey ain’ bin no meat pun’ de table, de dinnuh ain’ wut!” And the fish section’s introduction is a recipe in itself:  “‘E hab uh hebby pan full uh mullet, en’ ‘e hab swimp en’ crab all two, en’ ‘e hab hominy en’ ting.”

"I’ll admit that when my sister gave me this cookbook as a Christmas present, I was as horrified as if she’d presented me with a set of “Mammy” salt shakers.  But being a good librarian, I decided to do a little research on the subject, which led me to the Gullah roots of Charleston Receipts.

For the complete article 

I'm sure "Patsie" wasn't longing for the same "more pleasant time" that was the others were.

I doubt I'm going to make Cooter Pie (terrapin) anytime soon.

;D ;D

Jane

« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2014, 03:34:34 PM »

That's really cool!

;D  It was.  I then put it on Facebook.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2014, 03:55:30 PM »

That's really cool!

I knew that I'd seen it somewhere recently.

:D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2014, 04:09:52 PM »

I had a couple of errands, and searched the apartment for a bill I'd prepared but not yet mailed. It's disappeared with my Metrocard, and that really freaks me out.

Then I watched a very bittersweet comedy, THE WAY WAY BACK, which I liked enormously.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2014, 04:37:14 PM »

Welcome back, DR FJL!

Thanks, Larry! 

FJL

« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2014, 04:38:19 PM »

Great to have you back, FJL.

Thank you, John G! 

We had BBQ for dinner, and I thought of you!

FJL

« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2014, 04:38:55 PM »

DR FJL - so glad that you had a wonderful and enjoyable trip, and that you were there for your mother's celebration.

Thanks, David!

KevinH

« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2014, 04:41:24 PM »

Broken legs for the Kritzerland show!

KevinH

« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2014, 04:44:44 PM »

I still find it shocking that people are allowed to set of their own fireworks.  Here that would not be allowed. They even block off streets around where they are setting them off.

Yes, it was quite a shock for me to see fireworks for sale when I moved here to Virginia after living in NY state.

KevinH

« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2014, 04:45:55 PM »

That was a very nice tribute to your Mom, Dr Laura.

KevinH

« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2014, 04:48:53 PM »

Welcome back, FJL!

ChasSmith

« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2014, 04:53:46 PM »

I wonder if non-residents can get the Senior MetroCard.

(signed)
Señor MetroCard

Jane

« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2014, 05:25:13 PM »

FINDING MISSING ITEMS VIBES FOR DR ELMORE!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2014, 05:29:14 PM »

Let's speed things up.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2014, 05:29:26 PM »

One more