Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LITERARY NOTES  (Read 12911 times)

FJL

Re: THE LITERARY NOTES
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2015, 08:59:01 AM »

Page 2!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2015, 09:02:29 AM »

Congrats to the Cousin of DR FJL!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2015, 09:04:04 AM »

Maybe Ricky Ricardo was teaching Lucy to drive.....I know she tried my make a U-turn in the Holland Tunnel and backed up traffic all the way to East Orange, NJ!

Then this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDI9e7rU3HE

FJL

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2015, 09:05:15 AM »

Thanks, Jrand!

When I thought about it, the real beneficiary of there being two valedictorians who tied exactly is person #3, who gets to be salutatorian because there are two valedictorian, and that person #3 would probably not have been so honored otherwise.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2015, 09:06:59 AM »

Yes.....exactly!

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2015, 09:31:20 AM »

I'm back from my young cousin's graduation in Scranton, PA, where she was the co-valedictorian.  She gave an absolutely beautiful speech, the ceremony was really lovely, and the post-graduation dinner was very good. 

Congratulations to your young cousin and welcome back!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »

Thanks so much, Ginny!

ChasSmith

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2015, 09:42:27 AM »

Folks, I'll have you all know I just did some chainsawing.

Probably not an image that immediately comes to mind when you stop to consider what the DRs do in their leisure time, but trust me on this.

Nothing heavy or too dangerous, like felling large trees.  Just some small junk trees and a lot of cleanup of fallen ones.  By God, the next time someone goes Into the Woods, they're going to compliment the housecleaning staff.

bigbuck

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2015, 09:47:37 AM »

Greetings!
Help make those history papers history.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2015, 10:50:36 AM »

Folks, I'll have you all know I just did some chainsawing.

Probably not an image that immediately comes to mind when you stop to consider what the DRs do in their leisure time, but trust me on this.

Nothing heavy or too dangerous, like felling large trees.  Just some small junk trees and a lot of cleanup of fallen ones.  By God, the next time someone goes Into the Woods, they're going to compliment the housecleaning staff.

I own a chainsaw. A gift from my dad. I have used it, too. Almost as much as I've loaned it out.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2015, 10:50:56 AM »

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2015, 10:51:14 AM »

I have watched a couple of my brothers using a chain saw.

I also have an Uncle George that I never met.  He and his twin brother Jim were working at a saw mill in Waverly, Indiana, in the 1930's, they were not out of their teens yet.   When out with the cutting crew, George happened to notice that a huge tree was falling toward Jim....he ran and pushed Jim out of the way.  The tree fell on him and killed him.

ChasSmith

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2015, 11:33:30 AM »

Horrible, DR JRand64!

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2015, 11:38:15 AM »

One week from today, if all goes well, I will be in post-surgical recuperative mode. Hopefully on my way back to my covered hovel, in my opinion dressed up with lots of books and discs.
Aunt Esther: I have the spirit of Christmas . . .
Fred Sanford: . . . and the face of Halloween!

A house divided by itself, falls down.
-- Edith Baines Bunker

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2015, 11:42:17 AM »

Yes it was a sad time DR CHAS SMITH.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2015, 11:43:25 AM »

I'm up, I'm up, after a little over eight hours of sleep and then just staying in bed.  Could have used another two or three hours.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2015, 11:45:47 AM »

I will soon be on my way to sell tickets for the second week opening night of 7B/7B....of course we are sold out.

But there are people who telephone for reservations who do not believe it.  They think for some reason, we are holding tickets back and not selling them....we want empty seats in the theatre and we just don't want them to see the show.

They ask the same question several different ways expecting a different answer.....sold out means NO tickets left....I would love to sell you a ticket....I would love to take your $$$, but it's not possible......

"Are you sure?"
"Yes, we have no tickets available for any night."
"How about on Saturday?"
"No."
"But there was a picture in the newspaper tonight....."
"I know."

Laura

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2015, 11:53:26 AM »

Good morning. I am making banana bread.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

John G.

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2015, 12:13:57 PM »

Good morning. I am making banana bread.

I'll be right over.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2015, 12:24:11 PM »

I now have slightly sparkly fingernails.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2015, 12:24:39 PM »

Off to sell.....or I mean NOT sell tickets and then work to sell refreshments during the intermission.

I hope our Popcorn Boxes have arrived, and we don't have to use bags again.....makes clean up much more difficult.

I know, First World Problems.

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2015, 01:13:23 PM »

I will soon be on my way to sell tickets for the second week opening night of 7B/7B....of course we are sold out.

But there are people who telephone for reservations who do not believe it.  They think for some reason, we are holding tickets back and not selling them....we want empty seats in the theatre and we just don't want them to see the show.

They ask the same question several different ways expecting a different answer.....sold out means NO tickets left....I would love to sell you a ticket....I would love to take your $$$, but it's not possible......

"Are you sure?"
"Yes, we have no tickets available for any night."
"How about on Saturday?"
"No."
"But there was a picture in the newspaper tonight....."
"I know."

DR Jrand, your anecdote reminds me of my time working at Barnes & Noble. Just like we know when there's a full moon by the batty behavior we see around us, at the store, we knew when Oprah unleashed upon the great unwashed the latest payola book she was pushing. A few examples of the demographic she reaches(ed):

1) Ken Follett's PILLARS OF THE EARTH: "Oprah had this book on the show [not the author, the book] and we want to get a copy." It costs $35 and only comes in hardcover. "But I can't read a hardcover!" OR "It's $35!" OR "It's 700 pages and it has no pictures!" OR "We'll wait for the paperback." Some time later, when the paperback was released, the publisher to save money (my guess), printed this book in Oxford Unabridged Dictionary style, requiring a magnifying glass. "That's the paperback?! It's still too much!" OR Oprah fans were expecting to find a "beach read" in a pocketbook format. Can't do that with a hardcover that's 700 pages, sorry.

2) Steinbeck's EAST OF EDEN: "Oprah had the author on today's show [we would say that would have been impossible, but people insisted that the long-dead Steinbeck was on Oprah, maybe she's a necromancer, after all how do you explain Stedman]" OR "That book's too long" OR "I thought that was a new book. That was written a long time ago, I don't want it."

3) THE FLAT BELLY DIET: "Oprah had this book on her show today, I want it." When this book was first hawked by Oprah, it was exclusively available through the publisher's (Rodale) website WITH a subscription to Prevention magazine. Customers could not understand that B & N did not have the book, even after showing them Rodale's website.

My all-time favorite, though, was when the local schools would have the summer reading lists. The good students would come in right away. The others would show up in the waning days of summer vacation. Better yet, the parents would come in as proxies for their scholars at home. The two most asked questions: "How many weeks can we check these out?" AND "Which books on this list: are the skinniest/have the most pictures/illustrations/have Cliff's/Spark Notes?"
Aunt Esther: I have the spirit of Christmas . . .
Fred Sanford: . . . and the face of Halloween!

A house divided by itself, falls down.
-- Edith Baines Bunker

Ginny

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2015, 01:21:41 PM »

DR Dan M - substitute "public library" for "Barnes & Noble" and you'd be describing my worklife...

We didn't even have to look up whether or not there was a full moon.  We just KNEW.

Laura

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2015, 01:46:29 PM »

Looks like I will have new neighbors very soon.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2015, 01:54:45 PM »

It's been a good day; a formatting problem on the Moross vocal score has been cleared up, I  edited another number, and I got a really beautiful book in today's post.

I need a nap before I ponder dinner.

DR JohnG, I gather you are traveling to Maui.  How neat!  I'm going nowhere fast.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2015, 01:55:19 PM »

I'm back from my young cousin's graduation in Scranton, PA, where she was the co-valedictorian.  She gave an absolutely beautiful speech, the ceremony was really lovely, and the post-graduation dinner was very good.

Congrats to your young cousin, Fred!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2015, 02:09:57 PM »

The big song that the kids (they're 13 and 14) seem to love to dance to right now is called "Shut Up and Dance."  They really go wild when shouting out those words.

Is it the song from My Favorite Year?  I love that song.

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

ChasSmith

« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2015, 02:13:22 PM »

DR John G.'s work day must be over, or nearly so. 

I wonder if he's out raising a glass!

George

« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2015, 02:17:13 PM »

I have watched a couple of my brothers using a chain saw.

I also have an Uncle George that I never met.  He and his twin brother Jim were working at a saw mill in Waverly, Indiana, in the 1930's, they were not out of their teens yet.   When out with the cutting crew, George happened to notice that a huge tree was falling toward Jim....he ran and pushed Jim out of the way.  The tree fell on him and killed him.

That's terrible! :(

Laura

« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2015, 02:24:23 PM »

Very sad story, JRand.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up