Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: LOOKING AT THE WORLD THROUGH ROSE-COLORED GLASSES  (Read 22292 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:LOOKING AT THE WORLD THROUGH ROSE-COLORED GLASSES
« Reply #180 on: April 28, 2006, 08:30:40 PM »

I am fascinated due to the cultural aspects of it. I had a professor many years ago that taught a class on American cultural themes. I found it fascinating and I did a paper on the soaps and have continued my observations of it since then.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #181 on: April 28, 2006, 08:31:04 PM »

Page 7 dance...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #182 on: April 28, 2006, 08:31:07 PM »

Earlier in the evening, I put in the DVD of CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF. I hadn't watched this in many years, and I wanted to see what the quality looked like to determine if I wanted to spring for that Tennessee Williams DVD boxed set next week.

I'm sure the new pressing will be better than this old one (though it is enhanced and has fine sharpness and color for a DVD that was among the first DVD issues). So, I'll probably just buy SWEET BIRD OF YOUTH and THE ROMAN SPRING OF MRS. STONE for now. I may pick up NIGHT OF THE IGUANA used later.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #183 on: April 28, 2006, 08:31:51 PM »

EMMY SPOILERS.

I heard the same comment last year. In both years, folks in the know say that THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS got robbed.

I think that Y&R is in a class by itself. IT's been the #1 soap for so long because it is good.

I don't watch the winning show. But I doubt that whoever votes watches all the shows.  To me it is one thing to judge based on the submitted tapes. But I think it would be way better if the people voted had to watch all the shows regularly.

Btw does anybody know who votes? IS it the actors voting for themselves?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #184 on: April 28, 2006, 08:31:51 PM »

Everyone in the class had to do a paper on some aspect of popular culture and only three could be on television. I wanted theatre but it was already taken so I did televison and i chose Daytime serials.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #185 on: April 28, 2006, 08:33:25 PM »

EMMY SPOILERS.I think that Y&R is in a class by itself. IT's been the #1 soap for so long because it is good.

I don't watch the winning show. But I doubt that whoever votes watches all the shows.  To me it is one thing to judge based on the submitted tapes. But I think it would be way better if the people voted had to watch all the shows regularly.

I am not sure but they vote in blocks and that basically locks out NBC due to them only having two shows.

YR deserved better treatment

Jennifer

« Reply #186 on: April 28, 2006, 08:34:00 PM »

I think the Emmys still use blue ribbon panels to vote on the winners. That way, everyone watches the same tapes and votes in preferential order. The points are then added together to get the winners.

At least, this is what someone once told me is how it used to work.

YEs but is it merely the actors from the soaps who vote?

It seems like the same group of best actors and actresses get nominated every year.  it's ridiculous!

Matt H.

« Reply #187 on: April 28, 2006, 08:36:15 PM »

Read earlier post by me, DR Jennifer. Unless rules have changed, the voting on these awards is not open to the full membership of the Academy. Members volunteer to serve on blue ribbon panels who see all the nominees in the categories they are assigned and then vote. Youo ranks the nominees in order from best to least, and those places are assigned point values. They add up the total points and the highest point total wins.

I believe DR Maria has said that she has served before on these panels for writing.

Jennifer

« Reply #188 on: April 28, 2006, 08:37:39 PM »

EMMY spoiler talk.

I am not sure but they vote in blocks and that basically locks out NBC due to them only having two shows.

YR deserved better treatment

I know from reading the cbs soap newsgroup that each soap was allowed to nominate 2 people per category. So for example for Y&R they nominated Sharon case (sharon) and someone else (i forget who). Michelle stafford (phyllis) who has won before and who is the best actress on the show IMO took herself out of the running (she didn't think her storyline was that great). But she would have been nominated for sure I think.

Anyhow, then some group decides from those nominees who gets the nominations.

But i think you're right. They do vote in blocks (which is ridiculous).

I really think it should be an arbitrary panel who could really judge the shows.

The thing i wonder though is that both GL and Y&R are on CBS. So how did GL manage to get the acting awards?

Jennifer

« Reply #189 on: April 28, 2006, 08:38:52 PM »

DR MattH, I read your post (after posting mine). But i still wonder the actual WHO.  Do all actors get to vote for the acting categories for example?

Jennifer

« Reply #190 on: April 28, 2006, 08:39:25 PM »

Or are there only certain actors who are on the academy?

Matt H.

« Reply #191 on: April 28, 2006, 08:39:32 PM »

I have heard that the bias isn't for or against any network but the NYC block versus the Hollywood block, and that the East Coast voters will move heaven and earth to see that a Hollywood-based soap (like Y&R) doesn't win.

Matt H.

« Reply #192 on: April 28, 2006, 08:41:49 PM »

Or are there only certain actors who are on the academy?

Again, Academy members volunteer to serve on these panels. I'm not certain if actors are limited to the acting categories, directors in the directing category, etc. but that would make sense. Who better to judge their craft that people who also do that job.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #193 on: April 28, 2006, 08:42:41 PM »

DR DakotaCelt: If Matt Ashford drove off a cliff in November, is he presumed dead? Did they finish his story?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #194 on: April 28, 2006, 08:43:25 PM »

I guess in a Soap, though, you can come back, even if you died. Funny thing, Death (a Forever Plaid reference).
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #195 on: April 28, 2006, 08:45:56 PM »

EMMY spoiler talk.I know from reading the cbs soap newsgroup that each soap was allowed to nominate 2 people per category. So for example for Y&R they nominated Sharon case (sharon) and someone else (i forget who). Michelle stafford (phyllis) who has won before and who is the best actress on the show IMO took herself out of the running (she didn't think her storyline was that great). But she would have been nominated for sure I think.

Anyhow, then some group decides from those nominees who gets the nominations.

But i think you're right. They do vote in blocks (which is ridiculous).

I really think it should be an arbitrary panel who could really judge the shows.

The thing i wonder though is that both GL and Y&R are on CBS. So how did GL manage to get the acting awards?

The actors can vote for each other so I think there is a lot of horsetrading going on...

Matt H.

« Reply #196 on: April 28, 2006, 08:45:58 PM »

I guess in a Soap, though, you can come back, even if you died. Funny thing, Death (a Forever Plaid reference).

Not just in soaps. People have returned from the dead on nighttime drama, too, sometimes in highly outrageous ways.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #197 on: April 28, 2006, 08:47:47 PM »

I have heard that the bias isn't for or against any network but the NYC block versus the Hollywood block, and that the East Coast voters will move heaven and earth to see that a Hollywood-based soap (like Y&R) doesn't win.

How can you explain over the years why NBC has been shut out over the years? Granted the last couple of years the writing has been poor at best but they have had some good years with decent writing.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #198 on: April 28, 2006, 08:48:19 PM »

Days has the Lazarus Syndrome down pat!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #199 on: April 28, 2006, 08:52:22 PM »

SACRISTY!!!!

I cannot believe it... I now believe the daytime emmys are rigged... I can't believe Antony Geary won!

Anthony Geary, as in from Buffy?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #200 on: April 28, 2006, 08:52:39 PM »

DR DakotaCelt: If Matt Ashford drove off a cliff in November, is he presumed dead? Did they finish his story?

Good question....

If you go with the spumors from the soap boards..

Jack is dead?
 Jack is lying in a hospital alive?
 In december he was seen once at christmas lurking at the house

and no they have not finished his story... Reilly's classic talent is to leave dangling storylines and holes that youc an drive a semi truck through.

Now with Stephen Nichols and Mary Beth Evans coming back, Missy Reeves leaving, the pot gets really interesting....

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #201 on: April 28, 2006, 08:56:34 PM »

Oh, waith, Luke from GH.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #202 on: April 28, 2006, 08:57:13 PM »

Okay, good night all.  I am working all day saturday and sunday- helping to train brand new HIV test counselors!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #203 on: April 28, 2006, 08:57:43 PM »

According to IMDB, no... but it is possible they dont have it listed..

Cillaliz

« Reply #204 on: April 28, 2006, 08:58:54 PM »

Is anyone planning to see United Flight 93?  I'm going on Sunday.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #205 on: April 28, 2006, 09:04:05 PM »

I am debating about going tomorrow...

Matt H.

« Reply #206 on: April 28, 2006, 10:19:12 PM »

How can you explain over the years why NBC has been shut out over the years? Granted the last couple of years the writing has been poor at best but they have had some good years with decent writing.

DAYS and PASSIONS are Hollywood-based soaps, aren't they? Usually the winners of the Best Drama award hail from the East Coast which was the point I was making.

Matt H.

« Reply #207 on: April 28, 2006, 10:20:33 PM »

I'm off to bed, too.

Good night!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #208 on: April 28, 2006, 11:02:23 PM »

DAYS and PASSIONS are Hollywood-based soaps, aren't they? Usually the winners of the Best Drama award hail from the East Coast which was the point I was making.

True but so are General Hospital, Young and the Restless and the Bold and the Beautiful.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #209 on: April 28, 2006, 11:05:56 PM »

Back from a lovelier than lovely dinner with Miss Tammy Minoff.  Afterwards, I showed her a bit of the video version of Deceit - even on the shoddy VHS copy she was very impressed.  I then gave her a tiny preview of the new play - the couple of bits she saw she loved, so that was good.  We're going to try to do a read-through of it Monday or Tuesday night.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up