Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: IMPLODING/EXPLODING  (Read 22505 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:IMPLODING/EXPLODING
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2006, 08:30:52 AM »

Did anyone else watch the season finale to ER?

I had thought this was to be the last year but I certainly hope they aren't  planning on leaving us like that!!

Another show I'm totally over!  Why anyone would want to go to that ER where major trauma from falling copters to shoot-em-ups happen regularly, not to mention the daily angst among a lot of unhappy people, is amazing.

There have to be safer hospitals in Chicago.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 08:31:09 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2006, 08:32:45 AM »

Elmore - for the same reason anyone in their right mind would even go within miles of Jessica Fletcher.  :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2006, 08:34:19 AM »

Elmore - for the same reason anyone in their right mind would even go within miles of Jessica Fletcher.  :)

Another show I disliked intensely.  Lansbury was so fantastic on stage and so coy in that series.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2006, 08:45:45 AM »

Another show I'm totally over!  Why anyone would want to go to that ER where major trauma from falling copters to shoot-em-ups happen regularly, not to mention the daily angst among a lot of unhappy people, is amazing.

There have to be safer hospitals in Chicago.

Awwwwww....you have Chicago Hope!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2006, 08:46:23 AM »

REVISED:  NOW I get it!  

:D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 09:03:15 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2006, 08:51:44 AM »

For those with long enough memories - This time last year I was in hospital.  For a few reasons my view of the world and indeed of life and death have changed somewhat since then. HHW has had a positive effect with its links to so much goodness in this world. Many of us have been helped through some rough times in the knowledge that our friends are there for us.

Thank you Bk for making it all possible.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - there is nothing like this site anywhere on all the Internet and I am proud to be its daddy.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2006, 08:59:15 AM »

There is a wicked lightening storm that just started going on outside  with torrential rain....bye for now!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

FJL

« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2006, 09:00:09 AM »

Ron - My point being that, just like the ER emergency room, being around Jessica Fletcher made a person (fictional or otherwise) about 1,000,000 times more likely to get killed or accused of killing someone.

(I do agree with Elmore about Lansbury on that TV show vs. Lansbury on the stage, but that's a different point.)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2006, 09:02:44 AM »

Ron - My point being that, just like the ER emergency room, being around Jessica Fletcher made a person (fictional or otherwise) about 1,000,000 times more likely to get killed or accused of killing someone.

(I do agree with Elmore about Lansbury on that TV show vs. Lansbury on the stage, but that's a different point.)

Ohhhhhhhhh....now I'm starting to wake up.  I wasn't quite there.  

Thanks for the push.  

:)

Many of us have never have had an opportunity to see Lansbury on stage.  "Murder, She Wrote" (plus a few mostly forgettable movies) are the only means we had of enjoying her.

But I take your word for it...I'm certain her stage appearances beat the socks off her TV work.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 09:10:36 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2006, 09:07:58 AM »

Actually, I feel a bit like Jennifer described herself last night after a half dose of her pain killer.

My eyes are heavy (allergies, I think) and I'm not as alert as I'd like to be (it's Friday and it's payday, so....).

At any rate...time for some CAFFEINE!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2006, 09:10:48 AM »

my so-called media check

iPod:  Dire Straits -- BROTHERS IN ARMS -- one of the absolute best albums of the 80s
          Mae West -- WAY OUT WEST -- this is her 60's rock effort--she doesn't sound too bad, either (well, not Mrs Miller bad, anyway...)

Tivo:  OLD CHRISTINE and that's about it.

DVD:  THAT GIRL Season One
          THE PRODUCERS (at least to see the "King of Broadway" number)
          A double feature DVD containing THE OVER THE HILL GANG and THE OVER THE HILL GANG RIDES AGAIN, two favorites from ABC's Movie of the Week.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2006, 09:13:16 AM »

Ohhhhhhhhh....now I'm starting to wake up.  I wasn't quite there.  

Thanks for the push.  

Many of us have never have had an opportunity to see Lansbury on stage.  "Murder, She Wrote" (plus a few mostly forgettable movies) are the only means we had of enjoying her.

But I take your word for it...I'm certain her stage appearances beat the socks off her TV work.

And she's so good in these films:
DORIAN GRAY
GASLIGHT
THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE
THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT

Any other excellent film performances?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2006, 09:14:22 AM »

Actually, I feel a bit like Jennifer described herself last night after a half dose of her pain killer.

My eyes are heavy (allergies, I think) and I'm not as alert as I'd like to be (it's Friday and it's payday, so....).

At any rate...time for some CAFFEINE!

DR RonPulliam, I sympathize completely:  the allergies on the East coast appear to be as terrible as those you're going through on the West one.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2006, 09:15:43 AM »

DR Vixmom is currently getting the storm that we had here in Philly this morning.  The rain and the lightning and thunder were incredible.  Every time it storms like that, I think of Stephen King's "The Mists".
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2006, 09:22:19 AM »

DORIAN GRAY
GASLIGHT
THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE

Two years ago, she did a Hallmark Hall of Fame called THE BLACKWATER LIGHTSHIP.  She was wonderful in it.

She was a lot of fun in MURDER ON THE NILE and very touching in DEAR HEART.

And here's something to track down--she did a guest appearance in an episode of THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. (I don't recall that one, even though we watched MRU every week.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 09:22:48 AM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2006, 09:24:02 AM »

Illya Kuryakin--was there ever a cooler character name?
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2006, 09:25:18 AM »

DORIAN GRAY
GASLIGHT
THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE

Yes, actually, she IS....but apart from the mostly fun (arguable, I know)  "Bedknobs and Broomsticks", Hollywood simply didn't give her great roles after she became a Broadway superstar.

vixmom

« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2006, 09:27:14 AM »

Have you been using the White-Out Thinner...or perhaps gluing something?

:D

I do not understand to what you could be referring!

walks away whistling while looking innocent

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2006, 09:27:53 AM »

Yes, actually, she IS....but apart from the mostly fun (arguable, I know)  "Bedknobs and Broomsticks", Hollywood simply didn't give her great roles after she became a Broadway superstar.

It's so true.  Although after "Anyone Can Whistle," I suspect she thought her Broadway career was over as well.  I would kill to have seen her and Bert Lahr on Broadway in HOTEL PARADISO, which is one of my favorite Feydeau farces.

vixmom

« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2006, 09:31:30 AM »

The storm is over nearly as fast as it came.... it was miserable and rainy when I came to work then suddenly it was bright and beautiful and then the lightening storm came and now it looks like it want to clear up again.....

I feel like I'm in Florida in July (except for the lack of heat!)

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2006, 09:35:47 AM »

My neck felt quite a bit better when i woke up. But that stopped after i got in the car and started driving. Wow, that sure aggravated things.

I ended up not taking the other half a pill last night, since i knew it would make me woozy all day today.

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2006, 09:38:04 AM »

My sister called before to say that my little niece has done something pretty funny.  My sister went to her playpen and found the baby holding her pants in her hands. This is the second day in a row she has mastered this feat!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2006, 09:41:46 AM »

Some fun observations you each may agree or disagree with:

1. When I die, I want to die like my grandfather -- who died peacefully in his sleep.  Not screaming like all the passengers in his car."

-Author Unknown

2. Advice for the day: If you have a lot of tension and you get a headache, do what it says on the aspirin bottle:  "Take two aspirin" and "Keep away from children."

-Author Unknown

3. "Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so?  There's a support group for that.  It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar."

-Drew Carey

4. "The problem with the designated driver program is that it's not a desirable job.  But if you ever get sucked into doing it, have fun with it.  At the end of the night, drop them off at the wrong house."

-Jeff Foxworthy

5. "If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base."

-Dave Barry

6. "Relationships are hard. It's like a full time job, and we should treat it like one.  If your boyfriend or girlfriend wants to leave you, they should give you two weeks' notice.

There should be severance pay, the day before they leave you, they should have to find you a temp."

-Bob Ettinger

7. "My Mom said she learned how to swim when someone took her out in the lake and threw her off the boat.  I said, 'Mom, they weren't trying to teach you how to swim.'"

-Paula Poundstone

8. "A study in the Washington Post says that women have better verbal skills than men.  I just want to say to the authors of that study: "Duh."

-Conan O'Brien

9. "Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant??  I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my God....I could be eating a slow learner."

-Lynda Montgomery

10. "I think that's how Chicago got started.  Bunch of people in New York said, 'Gee, I'm enjoying the crime and the poverty, but it just isn't cold enough. Let's go west.'"

-Richard Jeni

11. "If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead."

-Johnny Carson

12. "Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."

-Paul Rodriguez

13. "My parents didn't want to move to Florida, but they tturned sixty and that's the law."

-Jerry Seinfeld

14. "Remember in elementary school, you were told that in case of fire you have to line up quietly in a single file line from smallest to tallest.   What is the logic in that? What?  Do tall people burn slower?"

-Warren Hutcherson

15. "Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same."

-Oscar Wilde

16. "Suppose you were an idiot .. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

17. "Our bombs are smarter than the average high school student.   At least they can find Afghanistan."

- A. Whitney Brown

18. "You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog
will give you a look that says,  'My God, you're right!  I never would've thought of that!'"

-Dave Barry

19.  Do you know why they call it "PMS"? Because "Mad Cow Disease" was taken.

-Unknown, presumed deceased

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2006, 09:42:54 AM »

I see the new CW network finalized their schedule:

sunday:everyone hates chris
monday: 7th heaven
tues: gilmore girls, veronica mars
wed: america's next top model, one tree hill
thurs:smallville, supernatural

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2006, 09:42:56 AM »

I do not understand to what you could be referring!

walks away whistling while looking innocent

It must be payday for somebody else, too!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2006, 09:44:49 AM »

I see the new CW network finalized their schedule:

sunday:everyone hates chris
monday: 7th heaven
tues: gilmore girls, veronica mars
wed: america's next top model, one tree hill
thurs:smallville, supernatural

Everyone is truly going to hate Chris if that's the only show they're airing on Sunday nights.

And when did "7th Heaven" get resurrected?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 09:45:12 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2006, 09:45:58 AM »

There is a wicked lightening storm that just started going on outside  with torrential rain....bye for now!

Did everyone caught in the rain turn into a blond(e)?

« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 09:46:49 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ginny

« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2006, 09:47:12 AM »

Friday greetings!  My book group had great fun last night comparing ourselves to the group in The Jane Austen Book Club.  The hostess had thought about serving gruel  :P, but went for cheesecake and strawberries instead  ;D

When I got home, my DH was watching the Will & Grace last episode.  Now, this is a man who's never before watched an entire episode of that program  ???

Media check:  CD(car) audiobook - Jane Austen's Emma, narrated by Donada Peters.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2006, 09:48:54 AM »

Congratulations to DR MS!  You look mah-velous.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2006, 09:49:42 AM »

Slow day at the World of Wisdom.

Considering hairstyles for the cast of The Sound of Music.  Why is this my job?  Dramaturgy is certainly far reaching.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up