Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: UP TO PAR  (Read 22345 times)

MBarnum

Re:UP TO PAR
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2006, 08:20:05 AM »

After the movie was over there was still a bit of daylight out, but the sun was setting so Bosco and I decided to take our walk...but you know, these neighborhoods get a bit scary as the sun goes down...I think for now on we will only walk around when it is completely daylight! LOL!

FJL

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2006, 08:22:27 AM »

Elmore - Does June Havoc count as a well-known figure?  Didn't she actually threaten to see over the alleged distortion of facts in GYPSY?

MBarnum

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2006, 08:22:38 AM »

Now I must drink coffee and finish my Bollywood movie...SHAADI (1962).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2006, 08:33:45 AM »

Elmore - Does June Havoc count as a well-known figure?  Didn't she actually threaten to see over the alleged distortion of facts in GYPSY?

Yes she did....

Yes, DR MBARNUM - daytime walking is the safest!  8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2006, 08:51:24 AM »

Sunday morning greetings!  It's a beautiful spring day here in SW Ohio and I have much puttering to do.  

When I leave for work tomorrow, I will have my bags packed for a road trip and won't be home until next Saturday.  From work Monday, I will drive to Columbus to attend 2 one-day seminars Tuesday and Wednesday.  Thursday, it's on to Cleveland, by way of the Longaberger Homestead.  Friday, I attend a meeting at the Foundation Center-Cleveland.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2006, 09:00:37 AM »

Today is WS's birthday?  Well well well.  Congratulations to MR BK on getting a collection of his works.

I keep hearing about this boy, Willum Shakespurr - and I think from the way people are talking, if he keeps trying, he just might make it!

Willum Shakespurr... that's the name of my next cat

Cillaliz

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2006, 09:04:31 AM »

It's a beautiful day in Sioux City.  

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2006, 09:14:22 AM »

Great good fortune about the Shakespeare set, Bruce! For my sweet sixteen, my dad bought me a 12-volume set printed some time in the late 1800's - which I still have. It was missing one volume - we got 11 - so the price for the WHOLE SET was $20. The leather bindings are cracked and broken now, for the most part. But there are the lovliest litho-type illustrations. And of course, the sentimental value of the gift... I was a young actor who loved the classics, and instead of a pearl necklace or a watch, my dad - who loved the English language in an uncommon way - gave me something far more valuable.

Happy Birthday to all of us, for the immortal Will.

PennyO

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2006, 09:15:08 AM »

And of course we have Richard Dreyfuss' turn as Dick in THE GOODBYE GIRL.  :o

;D

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2006, 09:17:19 AM »

Movies that do violence to an historic personage: IMMORTAL BELOVED. I couldn't really find Beethoven anywhere. And where was the actual, factual, greater-than-great death scene??? A crack of lightning, his eyes opening, he rises from his coma, shakes his fist at Heaven, and dies! Why wouldn't they use THAT???

But mostly, what utter crap about the sister-in-law and the nephew!
PennyO

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2006, 09:21:51 AM »

Re: the recap shows, in the past i did not like them. But i've been finding that they've been done better and better recently. In fact some shows (like survivor) even include new footage).

I think i will tape the LOST one, and see if it is interesting. BUt since i don't have anything else on at 9pm tonight, I will see how they do the DH one.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2006, 09:22:43 AM »

Today at noon is the bridal shower for my sister Tami's gonna-be daughter-in-law. I had been shopping - which I do HATE - for two weeks... finally, in deperation, I went to a store she had actually registered in - that would be Bloomingdale's... AND they were running a One-Day SALE!!! on many items.

Her list had the whole collection of Calphalon cookware - these items each cost upwards of $100 - it's astonishing. Well, ONE of the pieces - a 12" omelette pan - costs $80. Not one of these items had been checked off as "completed"... But, for ONE DAY ONLY - the $80 pan was $29.99!!!

You see, procrastination WORKS!!! So now I'll look like a real Sport, she'll have one pan, and life is good.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2006, 09:24:51 AM »

I also bought her one of the picture frames she had listed - a sterling silver hammered silver 5x7 - very pretty - also on sale. Whatta Sport!! I'll give it to her on the sly, later in the week.
PennyO

Jane

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2006, 09:25:44 AM »

Bruce, very nice purchase/trade at the show yesterday.

I have a small set with print is so little can hardly read it now.  While only published in 1965, I treasure the high school graduation gift from a dear neighbor.

Penny, I got one of those strand of pearls for my sweet sixteen.  ;D I haven’t worn it in years,  just look at it once in awhile (yesterday coincidently) .  The necklace is extra special for two reasons, my parents purchased it in Japan and it was the perfect necklace for my wedding dress.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2006, 09:26:09 AM »

And some 600-thread-count California King sheets. I'll give those to her at the shower OUR family is giving next Saturday. Those were on sale, too... Yeah - Jews don't buy retail...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2006, 09:27:32 AM »

Jane! Hi! Yes, I remember the lovely pearls... I actually DID get a beautiful pearl necklace from my parents for my 40th birthday...
PennyO

Jane

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2006, 09:29:25 AM »

Penny why give the photo frame to her later, or will it be a gift to them both?

Jane

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2006, 09:38:05 AM »

Years ago on one of my yearly trips home my father saw me eyeing a beautiful fresh water pearl necklace with a matching bracelet.  He thought it was beautiful & within minutes it was mine.  I’m deciding between the fresh water pearls & my sweet sixteen one, which to wear to the wedding next Sunday.  Either should look great with the new outfit I found.  I also have a lovely white hat I’ll wear during the outdoor ceremony.  

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2006, 09:42:26 AM »

Yes, elmore, that bit of character assassination by Oliver Stone was and is a real crime. And if you had asked me who the worst person would be to direct a film about September 11, he would have topped my list, but lo and behold, who do they choose?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2006, 09:48:36 AM »

Yes, elmore, that bit of character assassination by Oliver Stone was and is a real crime. And if you had asked me who the worst person would be to direct a film about September 11, he would have topped my list, but lo and behold, who do they choose?

At least it wasn't Atom Egoyan.  8)

TOD:  Since some DR's have already chimed in, I would like to know about the Shakespeare collections of the other DR's.....

LOL DR CILLALIZ - Shakespurr would be a nice kitty name.   ;D

Jane

« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2006, 09:51:13 AM »

Cillaliz I enjoyed the photo of you and Mary Badham.  She looks like a fun person to know.  Interesting  background story, do you have any more?  

Jane

« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2006, 09:52:52 AM »

DakotaCelt, lovely photos-thank you.  It was fun talking to you and hearing your charming accent.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2006, 09:55:45 AM »

LESTAT last night. The theatre did provide a good place to get in out of the rain, for a rainy gloomy night is as good a night as any to see a vampire musical. And the keyboard playing was exceptional, particularly Keyboard 3.  The guy who played the charcter called "Armond" was quite good. Our seats were excellent. My biggest wish was that the songs were better.

Afterwards we waited outside the stage door. Carolee Carmello came out first, and then, there he was: JoseSKeyboard3 himself. Another friend of his was waiting there as well, and we all headed to O'Lunney's for a post-show drink and snack where we had laughs (and laffs too).

It amazes me to hear how many changes the show has gone through, right up until three nights ago.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2006, 09:58:04 AM »

I just have a single bound volume of all the plays. And a few individual plays in paperback from college days.

My favorite play is MEASURE FOR MEASURE.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2006, 09:59:35 AM »

I have a pocket sized  1889 edition of Shakepeare's tragedy of Hamlet with nots and preface by Rev Henry N Hudson L.L. D.

I also have a one volume collection of the Complete Shakespeare from 1879 published by Porter & Coates in Philadelphia.  "A full and comprehensive life, a history of the early dramas, an introduction to each play, the readings of former editions, glossorial and other notes, etc etc etc....

Many b/w rotogravure-type illustrations each preceded by a tissue page bound into the book.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2006, 10:01:14 AM »

And of course MANY paperback and hardback editions of the plays.....

Also a 19th century edition of MIDSUMMER which is somewhere on the bookshelf!

Book sale - $5 a bag....DR GINNY, do I love THOSE sales!!!

Ginny

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2006, 10:02:16 AM »

TOD:  Since some DR's have already chimed in, I would like to know about the Shakespeare collections of the other DR's.....

When I was in junior high or early high school, my dad's boss lost his wife and gave all her books to us.  We spent a glorious rainy Saturday afternoon going through box after box and that's where I found the Shakespeare set that got me through high school and college and still sits on my shelf.  It's a 1944 Random House boxed set of comedies and tragedies - 2 volumes of each - "with notes and glossary, and with illustrations by Fritz Kredel."  The hardcover volumes are 5" x 7" and feel nice in your hands.

I also found a one-volume Favorite Works of Mark Twain and a Favorite Poems of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.  

My father found a notebook containing hand-written lesbian love poetry that he whisked out of my sight quite quickly.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2006, 10:02:20 AM »

And Jane belated Happy Birthdays are STILL pouring in for Keith. Why, we just received one here from...

ME!

and also...

TPunk!

Happy Birthday to Keith (a little slow) from us!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2006, 10:04:07 AM »

Thanx for the LESTAT news, DR RODZINSKI....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2006, 10:08:04 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.

Mr. Sorbo seemed to be a no-show, at least for the hours that I was there.  Didn't talk to Denny - I never know if people will remember me or not.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up