Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: YOU'RE A BETTER MAN THAN I AM, GUNGA DIN  (Read 30236 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:YOU'RE A BETTER MAN THAN I AM, GUNGA DIN
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2005, 09:11:04 AM »

OOZE

Hmm... Yesterday is was PHLEGM... Today it is OOZE...

What shall tomorrow bring?

:-\

Pus

Bile

Gangrene

OR something much, much worse!!!

All this sort of talk makes me want to vomit on the ground!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2005, 09:11:52 AM »

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2005, 09:13:24 AM »

I have never seen GUNGA DIN, or the Janet Gaynor ASIB.

Regards from my brother, DR Jay, who has been quite busy as of late, and will return to these here parts when he is able.

Collectibles?  Theatres, of course.  (If it's good enough for Cameron and Lord Lloyd Webber to do, why, it's good enough for me.)  If not theatres, then Hirschfelds.  After that, cufflinks.  An odd choice, since I only have one or two French cuff shirts (beside my tux shirt), but I have always liked cufflinks.  And boat races.  I like boat races.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2005, 09:13:44 AM »

I spent my weekend watching the fourth season of "Oz"...and WOW!  What an extraordinary season THAT was!

Additionally, I watched "Bunny Lake is Missing" with a misfire performance by Keir Dullea in the last half hour and some trademark Preminger thuddingly dull patches, but hugely atmospheric production design/cinematography, a lovely performance by Carol Lynley, and a glorious score by Paul Glass.  I  was terribly irritated by the "tearing sounds" over the wonderful main titles which were wholly unnecessary.

Then, I watched "The Bourne Supremacy" which I mostly enjoyed.  Matt Damon is THE actor of his generation and Joan Allen can simply do nothing that isn't surprising, amazing and wonderful.  The film was nearly perfect until the most unbelievable chase in Berlin in which one police officer spotted Bourne as fitting a description of a man with a black coat (and everyone on the streets of Berlin were men in black coats), and suddenly, the chase was on and 15 police cars were hot on his tail and never less than a dozen officers just yards away from grabbing him....and it simply COULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED LIKE THAT.  It would have required a MAJOR leap of disbelief for me to give it any credence and I couldn't do it.  Berlin is far too congested with traffic and people for the police to have stayed with him in such numbers and for so long based on a "black coat" description.

Sigh.  Oh, well.

The chase later in the film in Moscow was equally unbelievable...especially given that Moscow police were on his tail until the wreck...and suddenly, there was no one else around...no one got out of their cars...and Bourne was long gone before police arrived!!!  How the hell was that possible given the preceding two minutes of chase????

Double sigh.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 09:15:31 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2005, 09:25:36 AM »

Although many critics thought THE BOURNE SUPREMACY was superior to the first film, I didn't. Like DR Ron, I liked it, but I thought the first was a genuinely engrossing thriller that I loved from first frame to last.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2005, 09:28:23 AM »

I had fonder memories of BUNNY LAKE that were kind of dashed when I watched the movie again a few months ago on TCM. Though the mystery is quite gripping and Carol Lynley very good, the ending is way too protracted and ultimately anti-climactic.

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2005, 09:31:20 AM »

How about this for an announcement I got from USATODAY's website this morning:

"On May 10, Warner Home Video releases its Controversial Classics Collection with seven movies — I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang (1932), Fury (1936), Bad Day at Black Rock (1955), Blackboard Jungle (1955), A Face in the Crowd (1957), Advise and Consent (1962) and The Americanization of Emily (1964) — that tackle touchy subjects, such as race, homosexuality, violence and corruption. Each DVD (separately $20 or $80 for a gift set) contains a commentary or feature about the film's impact and legacy. Andy Griffith, who made his film debut in Crowd, took part in a documentary, as did co-star Patricia Neal and screenwriter Budd Schulberg."

I can't wait to get my hands on BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK, ADVISE AND CONSENT, EMILY, and A FACE IN THE CROWD.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2005, 09:57:38 AM »

I'm getting a little bored of the names of these box sets - The Controversial Classics Collection.  Just put out the damn movies.

The day hasn't made up its mind yet, but I believe the day will decide to be sunny in about two hours.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2005, 09:58:05 AM »

OOZE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2005, 09:58:40 AM »

Do you know what you can do with OOZE?  You can SHMOOZE with OOZE.  

Kerry

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2005, 10:03:18 AM »

A Face In the Crowd is so terrifyingly good, and it still rings true.
Same with "Advise and Consent.  Both movies are still applicable; the characters are still in our own headlines.  Funny how that works.

I was going to listen to the soundtrack to "Valley of the Dolls," (on LP yet), but I came across the origianl cast album of "Flower Drum Song," so I'm listening to that.  It's raining today. (The flowers and the trees get wet. Very wet)  I will not complain since we have had droughts for so long, but still....

I think I'd buy an Original J.C. Leyendecker and an original Paul Cadmus.  OR a real Bob's Big Boy statue!

In honor of Jose, I'm now listening to "I Enjoy Being A Girl."  (You go, girl!)

I think I will watch the perfectly dreadful and dreadfully perfect "Valley of the Dolls" tonight.  Everyone needs a fix like that occasionally.  
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2005, 10:04:18 AM »

WFO,

How's  Joe doing?
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2005, 10:09:24 AM »

Happily, I owned a J.C. Leyendecker Post cover original painting.  Unhappily, I had to sell it when the bad business was going on.

Kerry

« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2005, 10:11:35 AM »

BK-- You will get another JCL in the future, I'm sure.  Speaking of which-- any recent acquisitions?
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2005, 10:13:56 AM »

If we can have things from museums, I can think of a few Sargents, a Pisarro, an early Monet, a Scott Prior, A Wes Hempel and Henri Manet's "At the Bar at the Moulin Rouge" for a start.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 10:15:02 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2005, 10:14:41 AM »

I'll go with Ben and the caramel if we must OOZE today.
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2005, 10:15:19 AM »

No recent art purchases.  I'm trying not to make any big purchases for a while.  I made several towards the end of last year and that will be it for a while.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2005, 10:26:21 AM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2005, 10:27:02 AM »

Twenty-six more posts and I'll be OOZING my way to a new plateau.

Ben

« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2005, 10:34:42 AM »

And Kerry has just 60 posts until his ascent to the heavens

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2005, 10:37:04 AM »

Twenty-six more posts and I'll be OOZING my way to a new plateau.

Yes, you'll be nearly 3,500 posts ahead of the second highest poster!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2005, 10:40:34 AM »

For some reason, I'd like the very first mechanical clock ever made.  That would be very interesting.  And the very first pocket watch (I've always loved pocket watches).  I'll think of more stuff later in the day.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2005, 10:41:23 AM »

Cheaper by the Oozen.

Ooze Sorry Now.

An ooze of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2005, 10:42:18 AM »

All of us are working hard to catch up.

I watched some of The Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet yesterday as well....it was mentioned in yesterday's notes.  Very funny...and nice to come back to while watching other programming.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2005, 10:43:13 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Back from my walk.... It's a Geee-orgeous day here.  Still a little bit of a chill in the air indicating that it's still winter, but warm enough to walk around with just a light jacket.  -And very warm when walking in the sun.

I ended making a trip down to Ukrop's to pick up some household stuff, and then window shopped at a few more places on the walk back up Cary Street.  I almost stopped for brunch/lunch someplace, but decided to nuke one of the frozen dinners I have in my freezer.  I'll treat myself to a real dinner after the Mac workshop this afternoon.

So... That's about it.  I'm just taking a breather, and enjoying some trash TV - "The Bold & The Beautiful" to be exact.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2005, 10:55:48 AM »

I watched DEAD RINGER this morning.  ;D

VHS I bought for $2 - no need for the DVD.  The Andre Previn score is great.  Bette Davis and Karl Malden are good.  And Jean Hagen is a caution as a "friend of the family."

Bette:  My sister killed herself last night.

Jean:  Oh how awful, and right on top of Frank.

I WISH (no way it was possible) that Miss Frances Farmer had made this movie in 1964 (if she was sober and not in a fighting mood).  It would have been a great cap to her career, since one of her earliest successes had been in a "double" role.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2005, 10:56:40 AM »

Frances arriving in New York in 1958 for an appearance on the Ed Sullivan show - looking great!  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2005, 11:04:15 AM »

Fellow HHW'ers - tonight at 9 pm EST is the 50th Anniversary of the first broadcast of LA AT LAST - the episode of "I Love Lucy" that is a favorite of many.   ;D

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2005, 11:04:47 AM »

I hope the phone guy comes and fixes everything. And I hope he speaks English. Vibes for my mom. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't you just love it when you forget all about an assignment until right before it's due and then you have to hurry to get it done on time? Don't you just love it when you forget all about TWO assignments until right before they're due and you have to hurry double-fast to get them both done on time? Luckily, I still have time to write these two papers, but they really sneaked up on me. One of them is for IAAAAWWOTD and I'm not sure what it's about. I'm hoping one of my classmates will know and can clue me in on it. Although, I somehow doubt that.

I am faced with a problem. I really need a Cherry Coke, but if I get one, I won't be allowed to work on my History paper in the library and will have to sit outside where it's cold and windy and threatening to rain. Or, even worse, I would have to go to The Fifth Floor. What should I do?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2005, 11:06:18 AM »

All of us are working hard to catch up.

I watched some of The Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet yesterday as well....it was mentioned in yesterday's notes.  Very funny...and nice to come back to while watching other programming.

I caught some of that as well!  I thought it was quite charming.  Unfortunately, DC (Dear Canine, in HHW lingo) Morgan was not enthused about it, and thusly changed the channel.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up